Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

cant cook creole bream posted:

Man, I am repeating myself and nobody seems to care, but that Spider-man cartoon is really good.

I would/will care but I gotta catch up first!
One thing I find interesting is that taken together with Into the Spider-Verse and the PS4 game it seems like any new adaptation leans into the team of Spider-People instead of just being about Parker. Well, unless it's live action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lobok posted:

I would/will care but I gotta catch up first!
One thing I find interesting is that taken together with Into the Spider-Verse and the PS4 game it seems like any new adaptation leans into the team of Spider-People instead of just being about Parker. Well, unless it's live action.

I didn't really watch it that much, but the previous Spider-Man cartoon went that route in the end too. There were dozens of spider-people and venom-versions around. It was kinda ridiculous.

I guess the show maker just realize that it's more fun to include the side characters, rather than letting them sit on the side lines. At least that's the reason Gwen found a miracle gem which returned her powers.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

I'm starting to think that Pete just doesn't trust Gwen and Anya, though. Their team consists of seven members and those two are the only ones who don't get to know his identity for some reason. They even decide to tippy-toe around it in a short comment. I guess the show is working towards some sort of reveal, where they will have figured it out a few minutes earlier, but it feels incredibly weird.
On the other hand, it might sort of make sense, since they don't really like Pete right now. But that's also just because he didn't bother to tell them anything about that stuff.

I thought that in the latest episode, the scene where they're introduced to Otto in person, and Harry's there, Pete's big moment would be to unmask and pull a "no more secrets between family" moment. But nope guess we gotta save that for season three or something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I guess the show maker just realize that it's more fun to include the side characters, rather than letting them sit on the side lines. At least that's the reason Gwen found a miracle gem which returned her powers.

Have they had Silk shown up yet?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Dawgstar posted:

Have they had Silk shown up yet?

One day she'll get her time in the sun.

I believe she's slated to be in the Spider-Woman Spiderverse spinoff movie (with the actual sequel coming in 2022) this might be later than sooner, though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Season's looking to be end pretty good, the reveal stuff needs to be pulled off well, but the stakes are looking dope. I thought the whole thing just being a big robot was kinda tame, but a preview on youtube shows that the mech can call in orbital lasers so that's cool.

I'll probs have more to say when the season ends. For now i'm just crossing my fingers that Peter doesn't go back to Horizon.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Which spider cartoon is the latest? Assuming it's on disney+ I'm not sure which one to look for.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kingtheninja posted:

Which spider cartoon is the latest? Assuming it's on disney+ I'm not sure which one to look for.

It's under Marvel's Spider-Man and will show up as from 2017.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I wish it had a better title. At least the game can be identified as Spider-man PS4, but Marvel's Spider-man (2017) is such a hard thing to try and search.

The second season ended at least three months ago in Italy or something, but I'll never find files for that because of the dumb title.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My post has a lot of comics spoilers as well as Spider-Man (2017) spoilers so...beware with that.

I'm really hoping that Ock doesn't turn evil again like he does in the comics.

In the recent comics, Ock makes a deal with Mephisto, gets his original body back, has all of his ailments and whatnot healed permanently, and threw away his Superior Spider-Man costume all because Mephisto is going to get his soul anyway. Since the show wants to be like the comics (which I like), [spoiler]I'm worried they'll go down this path and make him a villain again. It would undo everything he's done with Anna Marie, everything he's done to save NY...

However the whole "Mystery Lady" thing they kept doing in Part 3 with the "newbies" doesn't bode well.... they could make Anna Marie into a Doctor Octopus herself just so they'd have a team of them... I don't like it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
That's kinda different since the Mephisto stuff is clearly them doing more setup for an event surrounding him as he's been showing up a lot the last couple of years in various comics, including quite a few hints towards OMD and his involvement there

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Watching a couple of episodes and it's pretty enjoyable. The track all the kids are super-scientists is a unique one.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

That's kinda different since the Mephisto stuff is clearly them doing more setup for an event surrounding him as he's been showing up a lot the last couple of years in various comics, including quite a few hints towards OMD and his involvement there

I've not been reading a lot of other comics. What else has he been doing?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yo, how is Justice League Action? I never caught it when it was current and I just saw some of the personnel and it seems pretty interesting.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Toshimo posted:

Yo, how is Justice League Action? I never caught it when it was current and I just saw some of the personnel and it seems pretty interesting.

There's no over-arching plotlines outside of the initial opening episodes being connected, but it's sharp and witty little superhero vignettes with some fairly fun action sequences and a good voice cast... if you can get past the presence of James "QANON IS REAL" Woods, naturally. I mean he's still a decent voice actor but knowing he's gone turbo-chud really puts a dampener on proceedings.

It's not going to blow your socks off or anything, but it's worth a watch.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I will forever resent James Woods for absolutely nailing it as Owlman while being James Woods.

But yeah, Justice League Action is standard kid's fare, not amazing but not terrible. The Mark Hamill short got a good chuckle outta me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
JLA has Dana Snyder voice Plastic Man which is possibly the best superhero casting ever.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TwoPair posted:

JLA has Dana Snyder voice Plastic Man which is possibly the best superhero casting ever.

I dunno, Tom Kenny as Plastic Man in BTBAB was pretty drat good

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

JLA is pretty alright. Early episodes felt like they couldn't nail the pacing for 11 minute shorts. I'm assuming there's a good hundred episodes with the web shorts, so you should be able to find characters you really like do zany stuff.

Also, Rise of the TMNT began its second season (which closed the cliffhanger of the first one) and it's fantastic and the animation is absolutely stunning.
https://twitter.com/rottmntsakuga/status/1199044118455959558

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is that the one where they made Leo the wacky one and Raphael the leader?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They’re all wacky, but yes, Raph is the leader.

And despite the amazing animation, it’s different, so it’s bad and shouldn’t exist

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Was Gotham by Gaslight any good?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

bessantj posted:

It was definitely unique, ended up having almost nothing in common with the original comic though

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The previous TMNT cartoon is the high bar by which all Turtle shows will forever be measured.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Rhyno posted:

The previous TMNT cartoon is the high bar by which all Turtle shows will forever be measured.

Nono, there's been two cartoons since the 2003 one.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

This video is a spoiler if you've not seen the last few episodes of Season 2 of Marvel's Spider-Man. Luckily, the thumbnail isn't much of one but if anyone wants me to put it in a text link, I can. I just wanted to embed the video is all.

Disney and Marvel are not loving around with this trailer. Also I like the music which is "Uprise" by All Good Things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfH6Pjui2O8

Though I'm really, really worried that they'll have Ock go evil again...especially after the clip they used in the trailer.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 26, 2019

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bessantj posted:

I didn't scare for it. The plot was thin and the voice acting felt weak.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

It was definitely unique, ended up having almost nothing in common with the original comic though

Thanks.

Toshimo posted:

I didn't scare for it. The plot was thin and the voice acting felt weak.

Aww, this is just a little too late for Halloween. Thanks for the reply.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Nono, there's been two cartoons since the 2003 one.

I'd guess Rhyno means the one that came right before the new one, which was honestly about note perfect.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

I'd guess Rhyno means the one that came right before the new one, which was honestly about note perfect.

This is correct. The 2012 series. And also the 2003 toon is dogshit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I just want to say, while I think it's great they have a female turtle, it's absolute dogshit the original 4 are named after famous renaissance painters and she's named after a famous statue of a naked lady.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The first season of the cg one was perfect, but season 2 was really rocky, then 3 and 4 were trash, and the last season was ok since it was several standalone arcs.

Shredder deciding to doom mankind just to get Splinter was beautiful, tho.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The last turtle show I just kinda lost interest in towards the end. I'm not sure I even made it through to the finale, things just started to fall apart after they went to space and there had to be a focus on both the cludgey romance and the weird vendetta against female characters. Maybe I didn't like the overarching narrative enough either after the episodic adventures fell by the wayside.

Rise is funnier, higher-energy, and there's more characterization to all the characters. It's definitely not gonna be your jam if you like stoic, dramatic, coherent overarching narratives though. There's also an aspect of how 2012 TMNT was impressive because it took the effort to do squash and stretch along with other visual effects in CGI to give it some real good animation effects, which was really impressive considering how lifeless a lot of CG seems, but then Rise shows up and still blows it out of the water.

2003 TMNT was its own special thing that went in hard on the stoic, dramatic narrative and was way cool at the time, but as I have aged since then, I just don't respect that sort thing as much anymore. It probably holds up just fine if you like that kind of story, I just don't really anymore.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Also 2012 Mikey was the worst.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I've liked things like the first season of Young Justice, TF Prime, Voltron, but could not get into TMNT 2003. Just taking itself a bit too seriously, doesn't have any humor or character emotion. Didn't give it much of a shot, though.
I liked the first two seasons of TMNT 2012 and left quickly after they got to the woods.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I was impressed with just how much stuff the 2012 TMNT managed to adapt. The Fugitoid and the Triceratons! The first movie! Freaking City at War!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The 2003 show tried to be serious but it just came across boring instead. I watched all of it and it's probably the worst TMNT show outside of the live action one. I mean the 80s one has way more bad episodes but at least it was funny.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I was impressed with just how much stuff the 2012 TMNT managed to adapt. The Fugitoid and the Triceratons! The first movie! Freaking City at War!

2003 did Triceratons and City at War too. :v:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

And also the 2003 toon is dogshit.

Permaban queued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...