Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Well that was a quite fun camp romp but nothing remarkable and didn't really feel like AHS but more a standalone Netflix series. I doubt I'd rewatch it.
I thought it could have done with another 2 episodes or so to tell the story fully rather than the precis we got towards the end.

Random thoughts:

I really could have done without Leslie Grossman playing such a large role, she's awful in every way.

Billie Lourd is beautiful and likeable but still has the acting skills of a wooden post. I thought the flat expressionless monotone she did in Scream Queens was just the character but nope, she's like that all the time.

Emma Roberts was great.

All the guys apart from Trevor were meh and completely forgettable.

Ramirez being obsessed by Billy Idol was not a great choice. Alice Cooper, Motley Crue, Dio or Bowie would have been better. Or even go the other way and have him obsessed by something wildly unlikely like Kajagoogoo, Duran Duran or Boy George.

Nice to see Finn Wittrock make an appearance and do a pretty good job with his character. I agree with the poster above who suggested he could have brought them cool stuff even if it was just some books and magazines. They could have not murdered all the previous visitors and asked them to bring them stuff.

They clearly needed some kind of catapult or even better, a trolley to get the undesirables such as Ramirez to die outside of the camp border. All the years they were there and they couldn't fashion some sort of object or method to get a near dead person over the line? They're surrounded by trees!

Edit: just remembered that Ramirez was resurrected by SATAN outside of the camp years before so that won't work for him. Would have for Margaret though.

supernatural blonde fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

supernatural blonde posted:

Well that was a quite fun camp romp but nothing remarkable and didn't really feel like AHS but more a standalone Netflix series. I doubt I'd rewatch it.
I thought it could have done with another 2 episodes or so to tell the story fully rather than the precis we got towards the end.

Random thoughts:

I really could have done without Leslie Grossman playing such a large role, she's awful in every way.

Billie Lourd is beautiful and likeable but still has the acting skills of a wooden post. I thought the flat expressionless monotone she did in Scream Queens was just the character but nope, she's like that all the time.

Emma Roberts was great.

All the guys apart from Trevor were meh and completely forgettable.

Ramirez being obsessed by Billy Idol was not a great choice. Alice Cooper, Motley Crue, Dio or Bowie would have been better. Or even go the other way and have him obsessed by something wildly unlikely like Kajagoogoo, Duran Duran or Boy George.

Nice to see Finn Wittrock make an appearance and do a pretty good job with his character. I agree with the poster above who suggested he could have brought them cool stuff even if it was just some books and magazines. They could have not murdered all the previous visitors and asked them to bring them stuff.

They clearly needed some kind of catapult or even better, a trolley to get the undesirables such as Ramirez to die outside of the camp border. All the years they were there and they couldn't fashion some sort of object or method to get a near dead person over the line? They're surrounded by trees!

Edit: just remembered that Ramirez was resurrected by SATAN outside of the camp years before so that won't work for him. Would have for Margaret though.

Yeah I agree with most of this. I have a huge crush on Billie Lourd but like you said she has the acting ability of a fence post. Especially when she's trying to deliver emotional lines. Emma Roberts has a ton of trouble with her body language in scenes. She's usually standing with her hip out and hands motionless until she remembers to use them. Angelica Ross delivered all her lines in a terrible monotone but that's not really her fault since trans women have difficulties with feminine tone and pitch. Billy Idol wasn't nearly as satanic as Dio or Alice Cooper but I guess that was the music rights they got. The whole issue with tossing bodies over the property line should have easily been figured out with how much time they spent in purgatory. Also a bunch more people were shown dying (the other kids in the bunk when Margaret killed everyone and the cop that Montana killed) that weren't shown later on in the ghost collection.

I heavily dislike Leslie Grossman as an actress but also would say that she was the only decent actress this season outside of Lily Rabe. She plays a decent villain, not fantastic, but definitely not terrible. Also I enjoyed almost all the male characters this time around. Cody Fern seems like a good young actor, Matthew Morrison played a great 80s cool guy, Chet was a good, dumb horror movie character that the actor pulled off well, and same goes for DeRon Horton. Then of course John Carroll Lynch who's just a superb actor.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Ramirez should have been obsessed with whatever musician they could actually get on the show to be horribly murdered. Billy Idol just being a mcguffin was lame.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

When Margaret pointed out that if they put her body through the wood chipper and shoot her remains over the fence, she'll be a camp ghost since she died on the camp side of the fence. They point out out that a decapitated head stays alive for 30 seconds. "Good, they're going to just toss her head over the fence," I think to myself. As soon as they put her decapitated head into the wood chipper i literally yelled out, "Come on!"

gotta do this lovely stuff to carry the finale plot i guess

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 16, 2019

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

garthoneeye posted:

I think it would have been more effective if they stuck to the 84 events. The climax with Brooke killing Montana and being framed for everything was really strong. The 1989 stuff ultimately fell flat at least partially because they skipped the climax and just gave denouement instead.

It was mostly a good season, but I don’t think it quite stuck the landing.
I was perfectly fine with them skipping straight to '89 and then to the present day because I'd rather watch an hour of Finn Wittrock than an hour of Emma Roberts.

Doltos posted:

Yeah I agree with most of this. I have a huge crush on Billie Lourd but like you said she has the acting ability of a fence post. Especially when she's trying to deliver emotional lines.
Billie Lourd has this weird thing where she never comes across as sincere, which works if she's deadpanning things in a detached way, but goes straight into melodramatic overdrive when she has to express a genuine intense emotion.

By this point I just interpret all her characters as emotionally stunted people who struggle expressing themselves in an authentic manner, which tracks surprisingly well for most of them lol.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Doltos posted:

Also a bunch more people were shown dying (the other kids in the bunk when Margaret killed everyone and the cop that Montana killed) that weren't shown later on in the ghost collection.

That's probably a production thing. Having another 50 extras in the back we don't know anything about wouldn't improve the story. There's also the all the random hikers and sightseers Montana killed between 84 and 89. And that band that was killed.

It's possible the dead broke into multiple factions. The children no longer require supervision or care on account of being dead, so they may be playing and doing stuff kids find amusing away from the boring adults -- they'd probably have more fun with Billy1's endless family picnic than most of the adults. Some of the adults may not have wanted to join the Ramirez Containment Squad in torturing a serial killer for eternity.

They might even have faded away into a dreamlike state. Not all the ghosts in House physically manifested 24/7 or they would have been seen when realtors and police went through the place. And Hotel should have had hundreds of ghosts we didn't see, but the psychic lady could apparently hear the walls screaming. Sure the Hotel was big, but between the vampires bringing home food and the ghosts murdering random guests even in modern times they were killing several people a month so that place should have been packed. Some ghosts are stronger than others for reasons that are never explained. :shrug:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Honestly this gives some credence to the theory I saw elsewhere that this was the introduction of a whole new timeline/universe the next few seasons will occur in

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's probably a production thing. Having another 50 extras in the back we don't know anything about wouldn't improve the story. There's also the all the random hikers and sightseers Montana killed between 84 and 89. And that band that was killed.

It's possible the dead broke into multiple factions. The children no longer require supervision or care on account of being dead, so they may be playing and doing stuff kids find amusing away from the boring adults -- they'd probably have more fun with Billy1's endless family picnic than most of the adults. Some of the adults may not have wanted to join the Ramirez Containment Squad in torturing a serial killer for eternity.

They might even have faded away into a dreamlike state. Not all the ghosts in House physically manifested 24/7 or they would have been seen when realtors and police went through the place. And Hotel should have had hundreds of ghosts we didn't see, but the psychic lady could apparently hear the walls screaming. Sure the Hotel was big, but between the vampires bringing home food and the ghosts murdering random guests even in modern times they were killing several people a month so that place should have been packed. Some ghosts are stronger than others for reasons that are never explained. :shrug:

Don't the ghosts only appear to the living and each other if they choose to? I wonder if you can choose not to see other ghosts too. Probably not.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Doltos posted:

Cody Fern seems like a good young actor, Matthew Morrison played a great 80s cool guy, Chet was a good, dumb horror movie character that the actor pulled off well, and same goes for DeRon Horton. Then of course John Carroll Lynch who's just a superb actor.

drat yeah I failed to mention John Carroll Lynch as being a standout. What makes him so effectively chilling I think is he has a kind, cuddly uncle thing going on but imperceptibly shifts into..something else and that's been consistent in all the roles I've seen him play so far. It's unsettling.
I loved Cody Fern in Apocalypse (I admit mostly because he was hot af but also a good actor) but I didn't enjoy the character so much here, there wasn't a lot to work with. It was the other young guys who blended into a forgettable mass, I could barely tell some of them apart much less remember their names.

Roll on the next season with hopefully more than 9 episodes.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yeah, Lynch has been fun to watch in that role ever since Carnivale.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I did not put together that Jingles and Twisty are the same actor until literally reading the above posts.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

nooneofconsequence posted:

Ramirez should have been obsessed with whatever musician they could actually get on the show to be horribly murdered. Billy Idol just being a mcguffin was lame.

You're right, it would have been hilarious if he was obsessed with Fleetwood Mac instead

April
Jul 3, 2006

supernatural blonde posted:

I loved Cody Fern in Apocalypse (I admit mostly because he was hot af but also a good actor) but I didn't enjoy the character so much here, there wasn't a lot to work with. It was the other young guys who blended into a forgettable mass, I could barely tell some of them apart much less remember their names.

Roll on the next season with hopefully more than 9 episodes.

Cody Fern seems like a decent actor, but Murphy's fetish for Pretty Boys Crying gets tiresome.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

April posted:

Cody Fern seems like a decent actor, but Murphy's fetish for Pretty Boys Crying gets tiresome.

Hey now you're not implying that Murphy uses AHS to indulge his personal preferences, are you?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Loomer posted:

Yeah, Lynch has been fun to watch in that role ever since Carnivale.

I've never seen carnivale but now i'm watching it thanks to this post and loving it

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Doltos posted:

I've never seen carnivale but now i'm watching it thanks to this post and loving it

Oh it's just the best! :allears:

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
This season was okay but I'm just a bit tired of the scatter-brained nature of their plot-lines. I get that it's their thing at this point, but it just gets exhausting after a while. It also makes it extremely hard to get a handle on the characters and sympathize with them. I find myself throwing my hands up in the air and turning my brain off after the fifth role-reversal of bad guy to good guy of the same character. It's especially egregious with all the time skips.

I feel kind of cheated out of the story I imagined getting from the first episode; cast of characters at a camp, hunted by a serial killer. Man, that would've been great, wouldn't it?

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hey now you're not implying that Murphy uses AHS to indulge his personal preferences, are you?

Season 5 was hilarious to me because of this. Think it took at least a couple episodes to reliably tell all of them apart, and I don't generally suffer from goon face blindness.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I'm 3 episodes into Asylum and wow is it far more bizarre and brutal.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

It is the best season.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Man JCL in Carnivale loving owns. I have no idea how an actor of his quality isn't in like everything. Same with Lily Rabe. They're both way too good for bit parts in AHS.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Doltos posted:

Man JCL in Carnivale loving owns. I have no idea how an actor of his quality isn't in like everything. Same with Lily Rabe. They're both way too good for bit parts in AHS.

Carnivàle in general was way loving better than it had any right being. It's just a shame the end of season 2 was basically:

https://twitter.com/mikefossey/status/479779134366056448

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

COOL CORN posted:

Carnivàle in general was way loving better than it had any right being.

The showrunner did eventually talk about the four seasons that were supposed to come afterwards; you can read about them here.
https://tv.avclub.com/daniel-knauf-tells-us-his-plan-for-the-end-of-carnivale-1798236491

It helps take the sting out of the ending.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

appleskates posted:

The showrunner did eventually talk about the four seasons that were supposed to come afterwards; you can read about them here.
https://tv.avclub.com/daniel-knauf-tells-us-his-plan-for-the-end-of-carnivale-1798236491

It helps take the sting out of the ending.

Good read. The show was definitely too early for its time. I'm surprised they aren't trying to revive it like Deadwood.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Still catching up but holy poo poo Emma Roberts during that rollerskating scene, smoking :eyepop:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Carnivale's existence is also part of why Freak Show sucked so bad, because for a few brief moments it felt like maybe it'd capture something of the same magic.

Then, of course, it violently poo poo that bed.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Doltos posted:

Clancy Brown's speech about the dead children gives me chills every time...the turn later in the season makes it so much better. :tviv:

Loomer posted:

Carnivale's existence is also part of why Freak Show sucked so bad, because for a few brief moments it felt like maybe it'd capture something of the same magic.

:same::hf::emptyquote:

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Clancy Brown and Amy Madigan were some of the best things about that show, but I always found Nick Stahl parts a drag. Wonder if I'd have felt otherwise with anyone else in that role.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Clancy Brown and Amy Madigan were some of the best things about that show, but I always found Nick Stahl parts a drag. Wonder if I'd have felt otherwise with anyone else in that role.

Oddly enough, he grew on me when I watched it a second time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Loomer posted:

drat I don't think I made this connection, but I think I feel the same way.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Clancy Brown is a great actor but I rarely see him outside angry authoritarian roles. It was refreshing to see him play a reluctant anti-christ. He's also literally in everything.

Nick Stahl parts dragged hard. His character was identical to Clancy's but the writers made him a little bit too reluctant. He ran away from everything and kept getting himself kidnapped by evil people. I get that they wanted an expansive story but if they were forced to go down from 16 episodes to 12 they could have really addressed how many Stahl storylines there were.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Counterpoint: Nick Stahl was perfect casting for a slack-jawed yokel. :crossarms:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Counterpoint: Nick Stahl was perfect casting for a slack-jawed yokel. :crossarms:

That's why his performance has warmed on me. There's moments where he manages to communicate important things solely through a slightly different vacant yokel gaze in a way that, given his other performances, was actually kinda impressive. To be honest, the blame for the dragging in his scenes is mostly on the writers and directors, since slackjawed passive reactive yokel is both hard to make interesting over a long span and hard to give a good performance in, especially for an actor who's not great at the best of roles.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.
I just started watching Ryan Murphy’s new show on Netflix, The Politician. Is there any thread for that show yet?

It’s been a pretty fun satire. Somewhat like season one of Glee but darker.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I loved it! I posted in here about it and no one replied :( would love if you find a thread on it

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Let's just turn this into the Ryan Murphy/Carnivale thread

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No objection here, there probably aren't going to be any new AHS developments until next summer anyway.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
Hey guys want to list your favorite AHS seasons again? That's always good for a page or two.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Loomer posted:

I thought "Accelerated Decrepitude" was AHS's whole gimmick. Like S1 shits the bed in the final fifteen minutes, S2 with three episodes left, S3 at the halfway point, and so on until Apocalypse by episode 2. I'm guessing that the new season falls apart midway through the trailer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
For those who are unaware, HBO's Watchmen series features an in-universe show called American Hero Story that fictionalizes and dramatizes the story of one of the first superhero teams, The Minutemen.

https://decider.com/2019/10/28/watchmen-american-hero-story-damon-lindelof-explains/

What's more is that the opener to last Sunday's episode featured none other than American Horror Story series regular Cheyenne Jackson as one of the lead superheroes. I got a sensible chuckle out of that.

(for anyone who hasn't checked out Watchmen yet it's pretty deece!)