Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

American Horror Story is an anthology series created by Ryan Murphy. Each season is a self-contained storyline an entry in an increasingly scattershot and arbitrary canon, a pastiche of forms and genres found in western-style horror.

American Horror Story: 1984 takes us back to the heady days when we were all free to indulge in youthful pursuits like pastel aerobics, swapping urban legends by the campfire, lesbian makeout sessions, and running over escaped mental patients. For the first time the show will be not be led by series mainstays Sarah Paulson and Evan Peters, the former busy with other projects and the latter feeling a little burned out from eight intense, demanding roles in a row. As you probably guessed from the poster, this season will be most strongly influenced by the classic slasher movies of the 1980s, following a group of friends as they try to survive a stay at a bucolic yet eerie summer camp.

Celebrities who have been roped into this (*for the first time):
Emma Roberts
Billie Lourd
Cody Fern
Leslie Grossman
John Carroll Lynch
Matthew Morrison*
Angelica Ross*
Gus Kenworthy* (yes, the skier)

American Horror Story: 1984 will premiere on September 18. As usual, the title of the show has changed so be sure to remake your season passes.

Previous on American Horror Story:

Apocalypse

Cult

Roanoke

Hotel

Freak Show

Coven

Asylum

Murderhouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

New thread!

https://youtu.be/mSTj0o_9tb8

:dance:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Wet Hot American Horror Story

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Get HYPE

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

I don't get hype I stay hype.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hype hype hype

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

SalTheBard posted:

I don't get hype I stay hype.

You know it, bro!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Im ready to get back on the AHS horse and be excited, aroused and disappointed!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I've had two AHS moments:

• first episode of Asylum which has completely ruined any minuscule chance I have of taking adam levine seriously ever again
  • watching the episode of Apocalypse with Mutt and Jeff whilst recovering in a literal mental insitution

That last one was a hosed up experience and I keep meaning to go back to watch earlier seasons but I can't seem to be bothered to :geno:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chokes McGee posted:

[*] first episode of Asylum which has completely ruined any minuscule chance I have of taking adam levine seriously ever again

To this day I cannot encounter Adam Levine in any context without whispering under my breath "arm ripped off during a blowjob"

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

The 80s theme has got me interested, so I'm jumping back into this season after dropping AHS around Roanoke.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

haveblue posted:

To this day I cannot encounter Adam Levine in any context without whispering under my breath "arm ripped off during a blowjob"

I see him licking it before sticking it in my nightmares now

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

If he had only cried first, he would have been safe...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
1984 can't be random, there has to be some Orwellian twist. It wouldn't be AHS without the plot changing every other episode.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The last season of AHS I watched was the first, live, with goons, and it was a rollercoaster. If I understand the rating system in the OP, I should definitely watch Asylum and skip Coven and Freak Show?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

The last season of AHS I watched was the first, live, with goons, and it was a rollercoaster. If I understand the rating system in the OP, I should definitely watch Asylum and skip Coven and Freak Show?

Yup. Also Cult was excellent.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Der Shovel posted:

Watching Coven does help with Apocalypse a bit. Also seconding that Cult is loving fantastic.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Der Shovel posted:

I defend Freak Show by saying the first four episodes with Twisty were fun.

If you watch those four and go 'Huh, what a short season!' you're good.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
Freak Show was very well acted, I’ll give it that. A waste of potential overall.

Coven was fun for a while even though it didn’t come together in the end; I would slog through it just to understand Apocalypse, which was great.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

A lot of people like Coven the best, so I would recommend watching it if you feel like it. Like all of the seasons, feel free to bail if you're not feeling it.

(Asylum forever!)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best thing you can say about Coven is that it's an outlier, the reasons people like it are not aspects any other season displays and it's the only season of which that's true.

Der Shovel posted:

If I understand the rating system in the OP, I should definitely watch Asylum and skip Coven and Freak Show?

Same as the site I stole those images from- 1 and 2 are the best of the series and strongly recommended, 3 and 4 are missable and have relatively few defenders*, 5-8 are generally decent.

*At least 3 has defenders, nobody will go to bat for Freak Show

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 29, 2019

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

My office tech liked S4 a lot because he really likes Jessica Lange. That's the sole reason.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You don't need to watch Coven to understand Apocolypse at all. I didn't and was just fine. All character relationships and relevant histories are explained

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I'll go to bat for Freak Show for several reasons:

*Ryan Murphy is masterful at period pieces, showing the audience the ambiance of the time. Aside from the songs being out of place, he really gave a great feel for the '50s.
*The freaks themselves were fantastic, played their roles perfectly, and the special effects to make the regulars freaky were really well done too.
*Michael Chiklis, Finn Wittrock, and John Carroll Lynch all made their characters memorable and exaggerated when any one of them could have been a cliche failure.
*Pepper's saga explained was a touching story that didn't just feel like empty fanservice to connect the seasons.
*It was a very hokey, yet nice sendoff for Jessica Lange as a regular, and as always, she put on a lovely, diverse performance.
*Neil Patrick Harris as a magician, come on now.

That being said, it's one of the least campy seasons, and if you love this show, you love the camp. Hey, speaking of camp, wakka wakka.......

I actually have a concern that 1984 will play out like Freak Show, in that the killer will be revealed pretty quickly, leading to a jumbled mess of plot. Something massively off the wall and perhaps even supernatural will be the true point of the season. I don't see this being like Cult with a total lack of anything otherworldly.

Emma Roberts playing a good girl will be fun to see, especially when she inevitably becomes straight up evil at some point.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

The Walrus posted:

You don't need to watch Coven to understand Apocolypse at all. I didn't and was just fine. All character relationships and relevant histories are explained

Maybe you won’t feel at sea if you watch the sequel without watching the original, but I think it’s a more enjoyable experience having seen all of the flashback events as they happened. Coven isn’t so dire that it needs to be avoided even if it isn’t as good as other seasons; it’s campy fun with some moments of high quality.

I might avoid Freak Show if I had it to do over.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

epenthesis posted:

Coven isn’t so dire that it needs to be avoided
DISAGREE

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Every season, other than Hotel, was good.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Apparently this is the new season's credit sequence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9g14iaqt3s

Taken from Instagram, which explains the aspect ratio, but I'd love it if the final version was 4:3.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Man if the whole show was 4:3 and aired in standard def, that would rule

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my only possible gripe is that the song is supposed to be slightly unsettling and that just straight up rocks

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Holy crap it's the 18th already

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, motherfuckers around me already have their Halloween decorations up.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh poo poo it's coming on tonight!!!!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
That was, without a doubt, the greatest AHS intro they’ve ever done.

Holy poo poo perfect in every way. My expectations have just skyrocketed, past season disappointments be damned

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

A+ start

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I haven't really watched this show since the first season but I love me some 80s slasher aesthetics. I hope this is good!

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I don’t mean to be the downer already but there is no way the season is better than that perfect title sequence.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I didn’t know Russel Wilson was in this

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Intro was perfect and I love the credits this year :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is that Drew Carey’s transvestite brother playing Mr Jingles?