Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Watched the 3rd episode this morning.
The scene in the blacksmith's forge with the other Mandos reminded me of all the Xticles scenes in Frisky Dingo.
Again at the end when they came in with the jet packs. "Jet boots ruuuule!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Pre Vizsla was a moderately important character in Clone Wars. He led the clan of traditional warrior mandalorians/insurgents and his name is a phenomenal tribute to Lucas’s naming conventions of absolutely not giving a poo poo (see also: Savage Oppress, Elan Sleazebaggano, Darth Icky).

Hazo fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 24, 2019

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I love Star Wars names. Jek Sambuu. Tink Blappo

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
there are big problems with tlj's moment to moment plotting and with how it handles a number of broader issues of internal consistency and plausibility with the setting. it's a very bad action movie. this doesn't, however, destroy the interesting things it still manages to accomplish at a higher narrative level. each sub-plot contributes to a very deliberate and unified message if you look at the bigger picture: a message that has fundamentally to do with interrogating what heroism means. fin, rey, poe, each begin the movie with one idea of heroism, and exit the movie with another idea of heroism. and i think, if nothing else, that this is an interesting and powerful critical dynamic to introduce to the mainline star wars series. you can credibly argue the tlj is a failure of a movie through a holistic aggregation of various criteria. but you look kind of stupid if you don't understand or don't engage with what it's trying to do and just endlessly repeat that it's a bad movie. i don't want to really talk about tlj much but it's inevitably relevant here if there is an general criteria being implicitly advanced about what is fundamentally good or bad about star wars -- which i think should remain a somewhat open-ended question as we move progressively outwards from the OT.

BoldestCorgi
Jun 23, 2013

Mischievous Mink posted:

The salute at the end was a little much for me, but I'm still managing to feel a lot more positive about the show at this point than I was with ep 2. Definitely my favorite live action SW we've gotten from Disney yet.

The jet pack salute looked a lot better in the concept art during the end credits.

I agree heartily with the people who have expounded much better than I can about the video game quality of the plotting on the show. I thought the most recent episode was fun, but that might be because my expectations have gone way way down. I would have loved this show when I was ten.

Something about the Mandalorians reminds me intensely of the ‘80s Transformers cartoon, maybe the hulking bodies and roboticized voices and macho quasi-secret family-military vibe- whenever we meet one I can imagine the toy in the package. There’s a weird ready-for-merchandising feeling to other stuff too, like the little slabs of beskar that are probably in the works to be phone cases sold at Star Wars Land. I realize that it’s dumb to call out a Star War for merchandising, but some of this feels especially blatant.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Hazo posted:

Pre Vizsla was a moderately important character in Clone Wars. He led the clan of traditional warrior mandalorians/insurgents and his name is a phenomenal tribute to Lucas’s naming conventions of absolutely not giving a poo poo (see also: Savage Oppress, Elan Sleazebaggano, Darth Icky).

Also played by Jon Favreau, which I found pretty cool. It makes it more likely that this group of Mandalorians are the remnants of Death Watch.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

teagone posted:

With the big heavy mando being a Vizsla, I wonder if that small group of Mandalorians are in hiding because they're maybe remnants of Death Watch. That'd be an interesting twist.

I'm like 90% sure this is the reason the mandos we see are in hiding; they're potentially the faction of remaining Death Watch members who chose to not follow Bo-Katan and instead splintered off.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

If baby Yoda is really 50 shouldn’t he be as smart as any 50 year old? I thought regular Yoda was so wize because he had 900 years of learning, but I guess the first several hundred years he was just a kid?

Just because Baby Yoda doesn't talk (yet) doesn't mean he/she isn't smart. He/she (because we don't know yet) is clearly attuned enough to focus their powers enough to levitate a mature Mudhorn.

My guess is the longer Baby Yoda's around people vocalizing, the quicker he/she'll learn to converse and show evidence of age/experience. What'll be the real headfuck will be if Baby Yoda vocalizes like Yoda or talks in a normal cadence, which would settle an age-old question of whether it was a habit of Yoda's species or - as rumored - a relic of ancient Jedi tradition.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Dr. Pershing used he/him pronouns for the baby, so unless he's got it wrong, the baby's male.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Terror Sweat posted:

Love to go see a bunch of slaves being brutally tortured and then go save a couple horses instead, leading to even further brutal tortures inflicted

'Rose is a Facebook lib' is not a critique its explicitly who her character is in the plot.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

jivjov posted:

Dr. Pershing used he/him pronouns for the baby, so unless he's got it wrong, the baby's male.

He is a doctor so he should know especially since he was doing whatever to the yoda. Also in 900 years you would think someone would ask yoda what species he is.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Elephanthead posted:

He is a doctor so he should know especially since he was doing whatever to the yoda. Also in 900 years you would think someone would ask yoda what species he is.

Maybe it's super rude like going up to an Asian person and asking what sort of celestial they are.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Man I think it's weird anytime I meet someone who defends the prequels but nothing is weirder than the polarity The Last Jedi has brought on. I liked it, parts of it were awesome but there are parts that were just bad regardless of whatever layered genius people are reading into them. The idea that anyone thinks it's the best or worst of anything is just baffling to me.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Man I think it's weird anytime I meet someone who defends the prequels but nothing is weirder than the polarity The Last Jedi has brought on. I liked it, parts of it were awesome but there are parts that were just bad regardless of whatever layered genius people are reading into them. The idea that anyone thinks it's the best or worst of anything is just baffling to me.

It made the Force weird again for the first time since the OT.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Jewel Repetition posted:

Plo Koon

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

the doctor checked yodas pubis

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Slab Bulkhead.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Delsaber posted:

Slab Bulkhead.

Big McLargehuge

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Our fake names for our fake band were Jam Catulo and Iffer Kizzer (based on backwards gibberish from a Kool Herc sample)

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Hohass Ekwesh
The Horse pilot from the X-wing books
:horse:
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Hohass_Ekwesh

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Zane posted:

there are big problems with tlj's moment to moment plotting and with how it handles a number of broader issues of internal consistency and plausibility with the setting. it's a very bad action movie. this doesn't, however, destroy the interesting things it still manages to accomplish at a higher narrative level. each sub-plot contributes to a very deliberate and unified message if you look at the bigger picture: a message that has fundamentally to do with interrogating what heroism means. fin, rey, poe, each begin the movie with one idea of heroism, and exit the movie with another idea of heroism. and i think, if nothing else, that this is an interesting and powerful critical dynamic to introduce to the mainline star wars series. you can credibly argue the tlj is a failure of a movie through a holistic aggregation of various criteria. but you look kind of stupid if you don't understand or don't engage with what it's trying to do and just endlessly repeat that it's a bad movie. i don't want to really talk about tlj much but it's inevitably relevant here if there is an general criteria being implicitly advanced about what is fundamentally good or bad about star wars -- which i think should remain a somewhat open-ended question as we move progressively outwards from the OT.

I don’t want to perpetuate TLJ chat but I completely agree with the first two thirds of this. But I don’t think it’s “stupid” to point out it’s a bad movie as you yourself said in the first sentence. This is a really good take though.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Prequel lovers and TLJ haters tend to intersect at a very loud group of teens-young 20-somethings who are too young to actually remember the prequels and how bad they were and think posting HELLO THERE is peak comedy. Once again I’m thankful for the SA paywall.

Gonz posted:

Plo Koon

Nute Gunray

Thumposaurus posted:

Hohass Ekwesh

:hmmyes:

Hazo fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 25, 2019

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Do we know much about Mandalorian society? Is the main character the leader? How come he gets to have a ship and be the one walking around?

Also I guess that next ep he goes back to the planet he found baby yoda on to search for clues about the people who were keeping baby yoda.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Hazo posted:

Prequel lovers and TLJ haters tend to intersect at a very loud group of teens-young 20-somethings who are too young to actually remember the prequels and how bad they were and think posting HELLO THERE is peak comedy. Once again I’m thankful for the SA paywall.

TLJ was fun, the prequels were between meh and very bad, the Phantom Menace was boring as gently caress and the CGI from back then aged so drat BAD. CGI Yoda is laughable bad next to the puppet from the 70's and even worst next to Baby Yoda now.

Speaking of puppets, is the Jim Henson Company involved in the new show, or it's someone else?

By the way, hello thread, the Mandalorian is awesome and I'm starting to get an itch for watching some samurai and spaghetti western old films.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

If baby Yoda is really 50 shouldn’t he be as smart as any 50 year old? I thought regular Yoda was so wize because he had 900 years of learning, but I guess the first several hundred years he was just a kid?

Hundred years as a toddler, hundred as an awkward teen, another hundred as a frat boy... No wonder the species is so rare, no parent wants to deal with 3 centuries of that bullshit.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

twistedmentat posted:

Big McLargehuge

Brock Strongneck

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TK-42-1 posted:

Brock Strongneck

Slab Manmeat

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
hello there is a great meme

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
CGI Yoda sucked, but Puppet Yoda from the original TPM release looked even worse. He looked like a Yoda doll you'd buy at the flea market.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Laterite posted:

hello there is a great meme

I've literally never heard of it

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Lester Shy posted:

CGI Yoda sucked, but Puppet Yoda from the original TPM release looked even worse. He looked like a Yoda doll you'd buy at the flea market.

All Yodas are trash but Baby Yoda.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Desperado Bones posted:

By the way, hello thread, the Mandalorian is awesome and I'm starting to get an itch for watching some samurai and spaghetti western old films.

There was a Sergio Argones box set I bought a decade ago with the Dollars trilogy and Duck You Sucka, solid watch. Ignoring all the Kurosawa samurai stuff, Five Elements Ninja and Five Deadly Venoms are some of my favorite Shaw Bros Kung Fu flicks, and I think I'm gonna watch all of those movies now

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

show is good but it needs to decide if its gonna be a lightweight turn your brain off show or be a gritty space western with some depth.

and it really sounds like the composer wants to emulate trent reznors film score style but isnt broody enough to nail it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
wrong thread

EDIT: I'm digging the music in this show. It's very much different from the William's-esque scores but it still fits.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Laserface posted:

and it really sounds like the composer wants to emulate trent reznors film score style but isnt broody enough to nail it.

I'm not hearing much Trent vibes in my own listening. I hear a lot more Morricone homage, but this is already basically a space spaghetti western.

I feel it's worth mentioning that the composer, Ludwig Goransson, is incredibly talented and versatile. He's pretty much singlehandedly responsible for the music in every Ryan Coogler and Donald Glover project. He's already won both an Oscar and a Grammy for the Black Panther score, as well as the Grammy for Childish Gambino's "This Is America", not to mention several more nominations for producing every Gambino album.

Here he is talking about writing and recording "Redbone":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGKlIJsz7bM

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

the mando ost slaps, but id also love to see trent do a star wars movie after JW moves on. Id love to see what hed come up with if he was told he can do whatever he wants.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

His Watchmen score is really great.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The only bit of the score I didn't care for was the breaking the blurrg scene.

The composer to me sounds like he's trying to marry williams to morricone's man with no name st to vangelis' blade runner soundtrack, and killing it.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

plester1 posted:

I'm not hearing much Trent vibes in my own listening. I hear a lot more Morricone homage, but this is already basically a space spaghetti western.

I feel it's worth mentioning that the composer, Ludwig Goransson, is incredibly talented and versatile. He's pretty much singlehandedly responsible for the music in every Ryan Coogler and Donald Glover project. He's already won both an Oscar and a Grammy for the Black Panther score, as well as the Grammy for Childish Gambino's "This Is America", not to mention several more nominations for producing every Gambino album.

Here he is talking about writing and recording "Redbone":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGKlIJsz7bM

Ludwig can do no wrong. He also gets bonus points for being the exact opposite of what you expect the dude accepting the Grammy for the Black Panther score to look like. He also accepted Glover’s Grammy for This is America which was pretty funny.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Zutaten posted:

I definitely read that scene as the Mandalorian purposefully shooting Greef in the beskar ingot to avoid killing him, because he knew it was there and knew it was blaster proof. but I might be off on that one.

Yup, me too. Also people mentioning the Mandalorian being pissed that Greef had some beskar as well - did he not think Greef was getting a commission on his jobs? I think he understood fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

mr. unhsib posted:

Yup, me too. Also people mentioning the Mandalorian being pissed that Greef had some beskar as well - did he not think Greef was getting a commission on his jobs? I think he understood fine.

I think he was pissed that Greef was holding some of his precious cultural material. If he had a pile of cash it'd be whatever good for you.