Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The AFC South Division Champion of 2019 will be...
This poll is closed.
Houtson 29 31.18%
Indianapolis 25 26.88%
Jacksonville 22 23.66%
Tennessee 17 18.28%
Total: 93 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I hope the colts keep vinitari for next season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Metapod posted:

I hope the colts keep vinitari for next season

I think Irsay will do everything in his power to keep Vinatieri there until he's 50, no matter what happens.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Metapod posted:

Lol intruder thinking someone cares enough to follow him around tff

Hmm good point how vain I was to think the post was aimed at me

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I wasn't watching the game intently, but since we only had 25 passes I will check out all 22 and see what was going on down field. I feel like Jacoby only looks for Hilton and to a lesser degree Ebron before dumping off, but it's possible nothing else is open.

We are an average team by most metrics, so not fretting the loss. We are mostly where we deserve to be, if not a little over achieving.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

When Luck retired I pretty much wrote this year off in terms of championship expectations, and I think Vinatieri retires at the end of the season no matter what, so I'm not too worried about him.

What worries me is Brissett, because when I look at him I see Andy Dalton: a perfectly serviceable QB who will win you some games and lose you some games, and he can maybe win it all if you surround him with stars, but he's not going to raise the level of anybody's play with his own. That's a perfectly fine guy to slot in when your franchise guy spontaneously retires two weeks before the season, and I love that the locker room has completely embraced him, but it's not a guy you build around (as shown by, well, Andy Dalton. Welcome, AFCN friends!).

He's under contract for next year and I think that's good, he's better than any likely FA we'd get and the draft is unpredictable. But they should absolutely have QB at the top of their draft board, and with two probable picks in the top 34 there's the ammunition to move down if necessary.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

QB is such a hosed position I think that being in this era of all these all time greats hosed everyone up and I think brisket is perfectly fine to build a team around and try and get hot in the postseason. For those kinds of guys if you can put an offense together that chews clock and invest heavy into defense it goes a long way.

I would know because that's what baltimore has done its entire existence until this point

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Colts should take a flyer on Tua hoping he'll be ok for the 2021 season

Assuming he falls to like the third or fourth that is

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Over the past ten years, you've had a lot of Tom Brady, sure, and Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees, but you also have a mostly dead Peyton Manning who looked mostly like poo poo that year and Nick Foles and Eli Manning. I'm with Sour Diesel that the main thing that seems to win championships even in this era is still defenses. The Colts could totally win in the next five years with Brissett if they put together a monster of enough defense, and investing in something far better than Brissett won't necessarily improve their championship chances any better than Ryan/Newton did for those other teams and might take cap away from building a better team as a whole.

The idea that the Colts first concern should be getting their quarterback of the future just seems really odd to me.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/LeBatardShow/status/1197917521875222529?s=19

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I think Brissett was banged up, and for some reason, he has been really hesitant and off schedule the last few weeks. Last week on his ridiculous scrambling TD pass, he had the RB releasing into the flat initially, but he hesitated, and the window closed. That caused the chaos that turned into the scramble and then eventual TD pass. This week, you could see him either not trusting his reads, or the receivers, because he would kinda hitch, then hesitate a bit, and then hesitate some more, and then scramble. Even on the 4th down play, he should've taken off a second or so sooner, but he hesitated once again, and then ended up running on a bum knee for 6 yards when he needed 7. He needs to either get more confidence in himself, the receivers, or both. It's why he never goes deep. Unless someone has their man beat by two yards, he'll check it down. It's great in that you don't turn the ball over and therefore are always in games, but it's frustrating when you know the team CAN stretch the field.

Maybe next week we get Hilton (fully healthy), Funchess, and Campbell back, and some things change.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I hope the titans win out

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Metapod posted:

Well, they're taking an L next week.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
You dont just go out and find a Franchise QB, no matter how many times it has happened to the Colts this Millennium. I think Brissett is fine, and if Brian Hoyer wasn't completely poo poo, he'd still be resting the knee.

Not that getting a QB in the draft shouldn't be something the Colts do. But it's not the #1 priority.

Metapod posted:

I hope all South teams finish with the same record and they just make the playoffs the AFC South Tournament of Champions, round robin.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Metapod posted:

I stand by my Mariota super bowl mvp prediction

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Athanatos posted:

I hope all South teams finish with the same record and they just make the playoffs the AFC South Tournament of Champions, round robin.

Agreed.

And first priority in the draft should be another receiver (my god I never thought I would say this again, thanks for scarring me for life Ryan Grigson) and more defense. Just wherever on defense, best guys they can get. Who cares if you end up with 6 good linemen or 4 good cornerbacks, that owns.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Athanatos posted:

You dont just go out and find a Franchise QB, no matter how many times it has happened to the Colts this Millennium. I think Brissett is fine, and if Brian Hoyer wasn't completely poo poo, he'd still be resting the knee.

Yeah I think Brissett is still clearly hurting and Hoyer would be playing if he wasn't an interception machine. I think we should trade up to the end of the 1st to grab a QB, but some Colts fans are counting on that guy being a franchise player and the fact is that he likely won't be as good as Brissett.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Colts should start tanking now before it is too late.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Brissett wasn't the reason we lost. We just got out played. I more or less agree with SD that he's a guy that is capable of being on a championship team; we just haven't built the team up enough. Defensively we need a premier pass rusher and safety help, offensively we need an entire receiver corps, and another center and right guard would be nice.

Brissett could be better, sure. But it's clear he only trusts TY, and kind of with good reason. I don't know why Doyle hasn't been as much of a factor in the passing game, but Ebron has some really off days, and then you have a bunch of madden generated names. Also, Reich/Srianni call some weird games offensively at times. I think they should depend on more mesh concepts but run them such that the crossing routes run further than 3 years from LOS. It, RB dumps, and the TE under Shovel pass are the only consistent ways we get dudes open. We make life way too hard for TY.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
gently caress the Jaguars

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Metapod posted:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Metapod posted:

such anger

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/mattjdixon/status/1197917969612988419

:hmmyes:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Next week we are all Texans.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Nah go pats

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

Next week we are all Texans.

So we're all losing to the Pats?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Hell, I’m willing to say it: the titans are going to the playoffs!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

So we're all losing to the Pats?

When do we not?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Hell, I’m willing to say it: the titans are going to the playoffs!

I mean they have before, it won't be this year but it is likely. Even Detroit has done it.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
the Titans will be the afc south champs

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Stevie Lee posted:

the Titans will be the afc south champs

At one point? Possible. I don't know how many years it'll take for every other team in the division to finish under 0.500.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Derrick Henry has done it again.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Every single Jacksonville Jaguars is a fraud. Doug Martinez retire binch

Edit: Doug Martinez is Doug marrone but I’m leaving that as is

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Every single Jacksonville Jaguars is a fraud.

This is the thing that will unite the thread.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

DJ Chark doo doo doo doo doo doo

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Colts have won more division titles than the rest of the division combined, and the Texans have won more than the Titans and Jags combined

What a division

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/BenMurphyTV/status/1198738574448955392?s=20

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

They don't even sound like they believe it themselves.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jivesauce posted:

They don't even sound like they believe it themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ2a95CP0PE

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ebron is going to IR. He'll be dropping easy passes in heaven now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Codependent Poster posted:

Ebron is going to IR. He'll be dropping easy passes in heaven now.

I mean, it's not like anyone else in the team isn't guilty of it. I think Doyle is the only one I can think of who hasn't dropped many.

Looks like Mack is out another week. Could have Hilton, Funchess, and Campbell back though.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 25, 2019