Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Not emptyquoting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Guys I made it to the thread title, my posting career has peaked.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

So basically they found out that he blocked the aid for political reasons after the fact, and so they made up legit reasons for it afterwards?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

So, what is the wildest, most damning thing that could reasonably be on these tapes?

"Make sure the Falcons blow that lead."

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I've been following this all too closely since the Ukraine story broke in September and I am starting to feel a bit of fatigue with the fact that every successive 'revelation' has *seemed* worse for Trump, and yet at the same time it also *seems* to make absolutely no difference at all.

What disturbs me is how adjusted I feel to Republican talking points that are patently false and not based in any sort of logical reality, yet... It all keeps getting reported as if it is fact. It actually feels like that pattern has been slowly ramping up in volume since the 2004 election, and it started out as whispers and it's now reached a screeching pitch that not only drowns out all other discourse but makes logical discourse near-impossible. The subtlety with which it's happened and the degree to which we've become inured to it is the most frightening thing. And it's not as if one "wins" by rejecting it all out of hand, you have to actively repair political discourse in a republic when it grows this toxic, and I don't know if that's even something that's possible to do in the 21st century.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

"Make sure the Falcons blow that lead."

That's one way to lose Georgia I guess.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Charlz Guybon posted:

That's one way to lose Georgia I guess.

I mean, most of GA doesn't give a poo poo about the Falcons, so probably not.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

I've been following this all too closely since the Ukraine story broke in September and I am starting to feel a bit of fatigue with the fact that every successive 'revelation' has *seemed* worse for Trump, and yet at the same time it also *seems* to make absolutely no difference at all.

Depends on your definition of "no difference" and how quickly and how big you think a "difference" should happen. As a thought experiment, ask yourself how you were thinking things would turn out before and after the whistle blower event happened.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Charlz Guybon posted:

So, what is the wildest, most damning thing that could reasonably be on these tapes?

PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

It Piß

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

It Piß

I said reasonable.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/1198793778645159937

quote:

The lawyer for an indicted business associate of Rudy Giuliani said his client is prepared to testify under oath that aides to Rep. Devin Nunes, the top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, scrapped a trip to Ukraine this year when they realized it would mean notifying Democratic Chairman Rep. Adam Schiff.

Lev Parnas would tell Congress that the purpose of the planned trip was to interview two Ukrainian prosecutors who claim to have evidence that could help President Donald Trump’s reelection campaign, Parnas’ attorney, Joseph Bondy, told CNBC. Nunes is one of Trump’s most outspoken defenders in Congress. Giuliani is one of the president’s personal lawyers.

But when Nunes’ staff realized that going to Ukraine themselves would mean alerting Schiff to their plans, they instead asked Parnas to set up the meetings for them over phone and Skype, which he did, according to Bondy.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

They'd have had to notify him because of the travel, or because they were meeting with officials of a foreign government? This has to be illegal somehow but I'm gonna need some nerd to tell me how, I think

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/joe_palazzolo/status/1198811099589697537

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

are these dudes for real or are they pushing conspiracy theories to try and wrap others up in their bullshit?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
This is more than likely the next step in whatever Russia's plan is. Those two Shreks obviously are not the masterminds here. They likely have had support and funding from Russia. Lev is also not going to flip unless he was told to.

If I had to guess they are going to air everything that has been done and show that all of the GOP is currently in cahoots with Russia. The reasoning is likely two fold, they can read the tea leaves and can tell that they are sunk in the upcoming elections and to sow more distrust and dissension in the West. If all those conspiracy minded MAGA heads get told that dear leader and all of his henchmen were actually taking orders from Russia it would cause them to distrust all government and news going forward. 20-30% of the population angry, paranoid and distrusting is a powderkeg waiting to explode.

Chaos in America would be exactly what Russia and China would want to further their goals. It's a lot harder to fight them when theoretically you would be fighting an insurgency at home.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Regardless of how it happens, there's gonna be some violence when Trump leaves office

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Strange Poon posted:

are these dudes for real or are they pushing conspiracy theories to try and wrap others up in their bullshit?

I mean, it's not inconceivable that they were trying all of this ridiculous poo poo, and then are totally cool with the chaos created by exposing it once they get taken down. This is kinda why it's a bad idea to get wrapped up in this kind of illegal poo poo as a high level politician, these guys don't give a poo poo who gets taken down with them.

If we were to assume that this is actively backed by Russia, as opposed to idiots just trying to blackmail a vulnerable nation once they have Trump's ear, then Russia doesn't give a poo poo about the actual outcome. Either Ukraine gets hosed over or America gets thrown into more chaos. They actually managed to get both, with the added bonus of hurting US/Ukrainian relations.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 25, 2019

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

ewiley posted:

See this right here tips their hand that this article is full of poo poo and Republican talking points. They do not need to interview the whistleblower when they have multiple corroborations of the sequence of events and allegations that the whistleblower brought up. Nobody interviewed Deep Throat and yet Nixon was going to be impeached.

I thought this was pretty obvious as well until the mega chud in my office brought up the whistleblower out of the loving blue. Fox News is apparently still treating it like the whistleblower is the sole source of this information. It’s insane, and yet she’s apparently lapping this poo poo up.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Baronash posted:

I thought this was pretty obvious as well until the mega chud in my office brought up the whistleblower out of the loving blue. Fox News is apparently still treating it like the whistleblower is the sole source of this information. It’s insane, and yet she’s apparently lapping this poo poo up.

Because these people are insane and live in another reality and listen to nothing else

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Glumslinger posted:

I mean, it's not inconceivable that they were trying all of this ridiculous poo poo, and then are totally cool with the chaos created by exposing it once they get taken down. This is kinda why it's a bad idea to get wrapped up in this kind of illegal poo poo as a high level politician, these guys don't give a poo poo who gets taken down with them.

If we were to assume that this is actively backed by Russia, as opposed to idiots just trying to blackmail a vulnerable nation once they have Trump's ear, then Russia doesn't give a poo poo about the actual outcome. Either Ukraine gets hosed over or America gets thrown into more chaos. They actually managed to get both, with the added bonus of hurting US/Ukrainian relations.

i doubt its directly russia outside them telling trump or some other chuds some bullshit and the chuds doing what chuds do.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

So... is the impeachment getting less support as the hearings continue? If so, why?

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Baronash posted:

I forget which Dem committee member brought it up, but the reasoning about the whistleblower is basically the fire department showing up but refusing to fight the fire until the person who pulled the fire alarm is identified and interviewed about why they thought the building was on fire, while the building burns down behind them.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Xander77 posted:

So... is the impeachment getting less support as the hearings continue? If so, why?

One poll with a terrible sample of landline-only respondents showed lower support for impeachment and all of a sudden everyone's loving pulling the fire alarm.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Any big stuff happening today? I am well rested after the weekend and need to get stressed and angry post haste.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

cr0y posted:

Any big stuff happening today? I am well rested after the weekend and need to get stressed and angry post haste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvGmOZ5T6_Y

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

cr0y posted:

The decision in McGahn that John Bolton is (ostensibly) going to use as a guide as to whether or not he testifies to Congress.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol jesus the NYT just got interviews with Firtash and Kolomoisky

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1198917118693171201
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1198960622907604992
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1198965861123526657

it's amazing to me that Firtash's defense is "I don't know nothing about any Biden conspiracy, I was simply hiring them to corruptly influence the criminal investigation into me"

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 25, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Has Biden's numbers in the polls changed much since all the corruption talk about him and his family?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

vincentpricesboner posted:

Has Biden's numbers in the polls changed much since all the corruption talk about him and his family?

eke out posted:

please dear god no primarychat in this thread, keep it to the proper quarantine zone

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

just tweet through it

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1198985975298449409

i should note that neither of these denials are actually about facts that are alleged: rudy's proxies (Parnas, Furman) met with Firtash, not him, and the Shokin meeting also included his proxies not him

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 25, 2019

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

eke out posted:

just tweet through it

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1198985975298449409

i should note that neither of these denials are actually about facts that are alleged: rudy's proxies (Parnas, Furman) met with Firtash, not him, and the Shokin meeting also included his proxies not him

Well which is it, Rudy, were you trying to help your client get re-elected or not? What a lovely fixer who's not even digging up dirt on his client's main political opponent!

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
i dunno why but the question mark at the end of "Law suit?" has me laughing

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Law <space> suit

He's a lawyer.

A.

Lawyer.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Strange Poon posted:

i dunno why but the question mark at the end of "Law suit?" has me laughing

"I'm Rudy Giuliani?"

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

cr0y posted:

Law <space> suit

He's a lawyer.

A.

Lawyer.

Y’know, you got your law suit, your interview suit, your white collar criming suit, your international criming suit...

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Maybe I am not remembering it correctly but didn't they say each house committee was going to complete their own impeachment hearings on topics such as trump emoluments?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Maybe I am not remembering it correctly but didn't they say each house committee was going to complete their own impeachment hearings on topics such as trump emoluments?

no, all the articles of impeachment are reviewed (drafted?) by the judiciary before they go for vote on the floor

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oxsnard posted:

no, all the articles of impeachment are reviewed (drafted?) by the judiciary before they go for vote on the floor

yeah

HPSCI will write a "report" and transmit it to the Judiciary, which will then most likely hold hearings of its own (not longform evidentiary hearings like last week, although if they can get McGahn that'd be the exception) and then draft Articles. the reason for wanting McGahn is that they'd like to include an Article about obstructing the Mueller investigation as well

Schiff also says that even if they write a report now they can always supplement it later, and HPSCI will continue investigating/holding hearings as necessary. at this point, I strongly suspect Parnas will be deposed at bare minimum

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

eke out posted:

yeah

HPSCI will write a "report" and transmit it to the Judiciary, which will then most likely hold hearings of its own (not longform evidentiary hearings like last week, although if they can get McGahn that'd be the exception) and then draft Articles. the reason for wanting McGahn is that they'd like to include an Article about obstructing the Mueller investigation as well

Schiff also says that even if they write a report now they can always supplement it later, and HPSCI will continue investigating/holding hearings as necessary. at this point, I strongly suspect Parnas will be deposed at bare minimum

Oh okay, that makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

eviltastic posted:

Y’know, you got your law suit, your interview suit, your white collar criming suit, your international criming suit...

Rudy is going to show up to testify in his birthday suit.