Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Parrotine posted:

Battle would be complete insanity if you could use evolutions, Z-move nukes AND Dynamax pokemon on one team :magical:

I can only theory craft my teams but boy howdy do I want those options so drat bad

My dream romhack of SwSh is someone putting megas and Z moves back in, but you can only use 1 of any of them per battle... and then the Eternatus battle is a raid where you send out 4 of your own pokemon and they all get to use any of the gimmicks.

Himbo Sword, where you play as Leon, and at the end you throw out Gigantamax Charizard, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Charizard X and regular charizard with a Z move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
beating the postgame should make Swordward and Shieldbert's hair unlocked at the salons

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Annath posted:

There's only 1 moon ball.

Gotta say I'm not fan of the whole giving only a single version of an apricorn ball per game trend they've started rolling with.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I got a level 1 5IV Dreepy from wonder trade

It's now a level 100 minted hyper trained EV'd beast

Took it into a level 5 raid and did 50% with dragon darts :staredog:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I just finished with the story and overall? Pretty satisfied. After Bea though it seemed like my team was steamrolling everyone, and I only used 4 Pokémon until close to the endgame. Is there a postgame story or is raid battles and online the main draw now? Wish they had multiple save files so I could start over with Pokémon I didn’t use.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TheHan posted:

I just finished with the story and overall? Pretty satisfied. After Bea though it seemed like my team was steamrolling everyone, and I only used 4 Pokémon until close to the endgame. Is there a postgame story or is raid battles and online the main draw now? Wish they had multiple save files so I could start over with Pokémon I didn’t use.

There's a shortish postgame episode, yes.

Robotic Accolade
Jul 23, 2007

EDF! EDF! EDF!

TheHan posted:

The switch handles saves on a profile basis, so if you make a second profile it will have a separate save file from the one on your main account (save files are stored in the onboard memory, and not on the game card).

e: the only real problem with this method is Nintendo manages Switch Online on a profile basis as well, so unless you feel like burning money your other save games won't be able to use online services (i.e. no surprise trade early game antics and no waiting around for 3 minutes for no one to join your raid since the matchmaking is so awful. Uh, that last part may not be a huge loss).

Robotic Accolade fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 25, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright I just hit spikemuth and... wow. Really? I mean I appreciate the love letter to side scrolling beat 'em ups. But I'm amazed this city was ok'd to be launched. I thought the 5th gym city was barebones.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Anyone ever meet up on discord to run group raids?

I feel like I don't even want to group up with randoms anymore since there is no way to see what level the host is, and on a short man that totally makes or breaks the ability to do the raid even if i'm level 100.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Also Spikemuth's story doesn't make any sense.

The city went downhill cause trainers don't go there because there is no gym, since the town isn't on a power spot to dynamax. Yes its cause Team Yell shut the place down, but that was at the start of Marnie's career, and I feel like its implied that the city going downhill was a thing for a while now. But this doesn't make sense for one simple thing:

It doesn't matter if there is no dynamaxing nor a traditional gym that makes challengers not want to go there because... well... It has a BADGE. If you're doing the championship challenge you HAVE to go there! You can't say "nah I don't wanna go its regular battles and thats boring", its part of the curriculum!

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I haven't had any trouble solo'ing 5* raids or joining my buddy for multiplayer raids. Eternatus so far has completely wrecked every raid pokemon I fought.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Leal posted:

The city went downhill cause trainers don't go there because there is no gym, since the town isn't on a power spot to dynamax. Yes its cause Team Yell shut the place down, but that was at the start of Marnie's career, and I feel like its implied that the city going downhill was a thing for a while now. But this doesn't make sense for one simple thing:

It doesn't matter if there is no dynamaxing nor a traditional gym that makes challengers not want to go there because... well... It has a BADGE. If you're doing the championship challenge you HAVE to go there! You can't say "nah I don't wanna go its regular battles and thats boring", its part of the curriculum!

Sure, but maybe no spectators come to watch so hence no merch sales!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

RatHat posted:

There's a shortish postgame episode, yes.

Nice, I only realized how to get Obstagoon super late so it'll be nice to get a bit more use outta him.

Robotic Accolade posted:

The switch handles saves on a profile basis, so if you make a second profile it will have a separate save file from the one on your main account (save files are stored in the onboard memory, and not on the game card).

e: the only real problem with this method is Nintendo manages Switch Online on a profile basis as well, so unless you feel like burning money your other save games won't be able to use online services (i.e. no surprise trade early game antics and no waiting around for 3 minutes for no one to join your raid since the matchmaking is so awful. Uh, that last part may not be a huge loss).

Well that seems like an insane way to manage the online. Still, online impacted my experience in absolutely no way, so hey no biggie.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Leal posted:

I was wondering about this because isn't there 8 more gym leaders trying to make it to the "major league"? Why does the rundown town that doesn't dynamax get to be a major league gym over the other unseen gym leaders?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Countblanc posted:

its been a while since ive played gen 7, is there a way to reduce the odds of mons calling for help? a friend of mine is playing through it and i can tell it's really grinding them down when they're trying to catch stuff

They won't call for help if they have a status affliction like poison or paralysis.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

100 degrees Calcium posted:

The trick, supposedly, is to keep on killing Dittos. The more you kill, the better odds of the glowey ones (called Brilliant Pokemon) showing up, and those are the ones that have 2-3 max IVs.

And honestly, that's good enough for me. I just want some good natures and a couple max IVs to get started.

Trying to get started building a competitive team has me down in the dumps. It feels like the barrier to just getting started is so high. I don't think I'm gonna be ready in time for Galar Beginnings.

Did you play Let's Go Pikachu or Eevee? I've been breeding all of my pokemon using the 6IV male pikachu I got from playing that. Both pikachu and eevee are field egg group which is the biggest one. Pikachu is also fairy egg group.

You can use them as a starting point to get 5IV pokemon in a different egg group. For example I bred pikachu with pancham to get 5IV panchams, who are field/human-like. Then I used pancham to get a 5IV conkeldurr to train up.

Take a look at which pokemon you want to breed, then find the closest link to field. Dittos might be more universally applicable, but breeding good IV dads lets you make reliable progress, and depending on what you want you may be able to just use pikachu/eevee directly. This method works unless you want to breed a genderless pokemon (which requires ditto).

Also, just getting the right nature and EV training your pokemon will make a huge difference. If you're getting frustrated by IVs just don't bother. You can always try stuff out and then bottlecap later on but getting the right nature and EV training are both easier and provide a bigger benefit than messing with IVs.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Annath posted:

There's only 1 moon ball.

Oh gods drat it. Welp...time to put off fighting Zacian until I train up a Gallade with the full catching suite and praying I get lucky...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eimi posted:

Oh gods drat it. Welp...time to put off fighting Zacian until I train up a Gallade with the full catching suite and praying I get lucky...

For what it's worth, serebii says you can win more. Maybe spoilers? I dunno:
https://www.serebii.net/pokearth/galar/wyndonstadium.shtml

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I have a friend that seemingly whenever I bitch in his general direction about RNG being a bastard, I just about immediately get whatever it was I was trying to get. The mojo worked once more when I was "Look, man, I know you couldn't give a drat about Pokemon if you tried, but" and then caught two Gigantamax Butterfrees in a row.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I have a friend that seemingly whenever I bitch in his general direction about RNG being a bastard, I just about immediately get whatever it was I was trying to get. The mojo worked once more when I was "Look, man, I know you couldn't give a drat about Pokemon if you tried, but" and then caught two Gigantamax Butterfrees in a row.

so do they have like an e-mail, or

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I'm trying to catch Turtonator which is a 2% spawn in shaking grass. I finally found one, my quick ball didn't catch it, so I started fighting it with my Gallade.

I used hypnosis, then swords dance. As I prepared to false swipe... it woke up and used explosion.

:negative:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The apricorn balls and the beast ball aren't 1 per save file anymore, thankfully. Unfortunately, getting any more of them is a big RNGfest grind, as doing the endgame tournament has a chance of giving you a random reward with them in it. Also the first win per day gives you a Wishing Piece guaranteed. Which is very nice, but you have to keep running the tournaments all day in order to get the other rewards.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

When they inevitably make Ultra SwSh I want the other half of each fossil but ONLY the other halves, so you get to still make the same 4 mons, just the opposite halves

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

TheHan posted:

Arguably, with a physical copy, there's nothing stopping you from making a new Switch profile and starting a new game on it, with eggs you get a friend to help you trade from your main account to it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Online battles have a 20 minute time limit with 6 pokemon and a certain allotment of turns to play with so stall tactics can win by just running the short clock down.

Watching poketuber Shofu melt down over on twitch over it and it's pretty funny :v:

E: For reference in Sun/Moon gives you 60 minutes in singles

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 25, 2019

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Lorak posted:

Arguably, with a physical copy, there's nothing stopping you from making a new Switch profile and starting a new game on it, with eggs you get a friend to help you trade from your main account to it.

You don't have to have a physical copy to do this. All users on your switch can access your digital games, so you can make extra profiles to replay. The only advantage to a physical copy is having the ability to trade copies with a friend/family member to play the other version.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The getting a Pokemon to 100 for soloing raids is legit advice. I got my Farfetch'D to 100, and I am now the owner of a Gigantimax Drednaw.

Honestly the raid thing is such a great addition even in single player if you're willing to grind out the Pokemon to 100. The raid thing is a great addition in general and I hope it's something they carry forward.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If you get a raid with something people want, it fills up with players in a matter of seconds.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

If you get a raid with something people want, it fills up with players in a matter of seconds.

This has absolutely not been my experience

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

this thread needed more fashion, you're welcome :colbert:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If I breed a male with a hidden ability with a female of a different species can the hidden ability be passed on to that offspring?

Something like a male hidden ability dusknoir with a female non hidden ability polteageist?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MacheteZombie posted:

If I breed a male with a hidden ability with a female of a different species can the hidden ability be passed on to that offspring?

Something like a male hidden ability dusknoir with a female non hidden ability polteageist?

No. HA can only be passed down to the same species.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RatHat posted:

No. HA can only be passed down to the same species.

Thanks!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Araxxor posted:

The apricorn balls and the beast ball aren't 1 per save file anymore, thankfully. Unfortunately, getting any more of them is a big RNGfest grind, as doing the endgame tournament has a chance of giving you a random reward with them in it. Also the first win per day gives you a Wishing Piece guaranteed. Which is very nice, but you have to keep running the tournaments all day in order to get the other rewards.

Oh... oh no...

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

What do you do when only 5 star raids are spawning and you're just level 67~ so not able to solo them. Is there a way to reset? Or is your only option to e4 grind the rest of the day until new ones spawn?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Blaziken386 posted:

this thread needed more fashion, you're welcome :colbert:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Spent about two hours running around doing raids and instantly got a ton of Pokedex completion just by feeding trash a couple pieces of candy to get evolutions. Raids are good.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Eimi posted:

What do you do when only 5 star raids are spawning and you're just level 67~ so not able to solo them. Is there a way to reset? Or is your only option to e4 grind the rest of the day until new ones spawn?

Burn the xp candies you probably don’t realize you’ve been building up. Or hop in discord and get some goons to help.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
A friend came over and told me he thought Dragapult was cool and that I should breed one. Bred for about an hour and got a shiny Dreepy. 10/10 best pokemon game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

What's the trick to getting a 5 IV Ditto? Do you breed up to them or do you just have to get lucky and find one in the wild?