Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Dragapult is good and precious and my friend.

Edit: Hell of a snype.
Question - does anyone know if it counts as a new encounter when you go to catch a raid mon? Are quick balls effective?

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Mef989 posted:

What's the trick to getting a 5 IV Ditto? Do you breed up to them or do you just have to get lucky and find one in the wild?

Do the soft reset trick (one of my old posts has details) on the raid den that spawns ditto as the rare spawn, it guarantees 4 perfect IVs at 5 star and 3 perfects at 4 star. You can’t breed dittos.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQu2Z-Kauj8

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blaziken386 posted:

this thread needed more fashion, you're welcome :colbert:
that's a cute outfit :3:

here's mine, since I never posted it

and the outfit, which I'm very happy with

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Just got a 5IV level one adamant Dreepy from a mystery trade. Thank you random Japanese player. Worst stat is Very Good attack.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there a trick to avoiding overworld Pokémon when hunting ones in the grass? I’m trying to find some specific grass Pokémon at lake of outrage but there are a million noiverns who are very fast and aggressive.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RatHat posted:

Is there a trick to avoiding overworld Pokémon when hunting ones in the grass? I’m trying to find some specific grass Pokémon at lake of outrage but there are a million noiverns who are very fast and aggressive.

Drampa is laughing at you

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

RatHat posted:

Honestly?

Look up if it spawns in the overworld somewhere else lol

I spent 30 mins hunting for a grass Mawile and just waited until they were in the overworld somewhere else and caught 5 in 5 mins

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Repels?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

This game is a motherfucker for hunting pokemon with hidden abilities. I've been circling through the same 3 dens tossing wishing stones in crossing my fingers I'll get the right mon. This system is awful.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
my goodness that final battle theme is so good

woooooooooooooooooooo

woooooooooooooooooooooooo

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

RatHat posted:

oh yeah those noiverns can eat my rear end

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

RatHat posted:

If you kill the Noiverns their place can be filled by the other, slower Pokemon.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Leal posted:

Also Spikemuth's story doesn't make any sense.

The city went downhill cause trainers don't go there because there is no gym, since the town isn't on a power spot to dynamax. Yes its cause Team Yell shut the place down, but that was at the start of Marnie's career, and I feel like its implied that the city going downhill was a thing for a while now. But this doesn't make sense for one simple thing:

It doesn't matter if there is no dynamaxing nor a traditional gym that makes challengers not want to go there because... well... It has a BADGE. If you're doing the championship challenge you HAVE to go there! You can't say "nah I don't wanna go its regular battles and thats boring", its part of the curriculum!

Maybe it's the audience that doesn't go there.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The game is designed for literal children to play, the story only needs to stand up to the scrutiny of your average 10 year old.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the story has good bois

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Honestly?

Look up if it spawns in the overworld somewhere else lol

I spent 30 mins hunting for a grass Mawile and just waited until they were in the overworld somewhere else and caught 5 in 5 mins

Yeah unfortunately they only spawn there in that exact weather. I got extremely lucky and managed to find them in a small corner of grass with no Noiverns. For anyone else, repels don’t work but cleanse tag seems to help a little.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

History Comes Inside! posted:

The game is designed for literal children to play, the story only needs to stand up to the scrutiny of your average 10 year old.

"look at all this cool stuff happening off screen! wow! incredible!" didn't pass muster when i was ten years old, either

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

ungulateman posted:

"look at all this cool stuff happening off screen! wow! incredible!" didn't pass muster when i was ten years old, either

"The unbeatable champion" for no story reason, proceeded to get dunked on by me, an idiot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I was going to get my gf Pokemon sword or shield for Christmas but the general reception seems pretty poor. What's the goon take?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

JBP posted:

I was going to get my gf Pokemon sword or shield for Christmas but the general reception seems pretty poor. What's the goon take?

I mean it's fine, just a little rough around the edges with a couple glaring cuts. If your GF is the type to hyper-analyze all flaws in something then maybe don't, but otherwise it's good pocketman catching funtimes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

JBP posted:

i think it's a perfectly good pokemon game

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It good, but not perfect

Ideally at some point they fix the online matchmaking stuff

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Meridian posted:

"The unbeatable champion" for no story reason, proceeded to get dunked on by me, an idiot.

He’s unbeatable because everyone keeps trying to run easily countered monoteams and can’t count to 6.

JBP posted:

Found lacking in most areas but the core of “catch cool/cute critters and make them fight” is still as it ever was - if you like that and don’t expect anything more it’s good and fun.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Nov 25, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

dunno where you've gotten your general reception from but everywhere I've seen people have been enjoying it and it got good reviews and sold well

it's a good, fun Pokémon game, nothing more and nothing less

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Your Computer posted:

dunno where you've gotten your general reception from but everywhere I've seen people have been enjoying it and it got good reviews and sold well

it's a good, fun Pokémon game, nothing more and nothing less

There seems to be a lot of reviews stating it's disappointing and just wondered by what metric. She won't care about anything other than collecting Pokemon so if it does that well we are all good. Thanks goons.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Avalerion posted:

He’s unbeatable because everyone keeps trying to run easily countered monoteams and can’t count to 6.

What kind of coward doesn't run a monoteam?

JBP posted:

There seems to be a lot of reviews stating it's disappointing and just wondered by what metric. She won't care about anything other than collecting Pokemon so if it does that well we are all good. Thanks goons.

It's probably one of the best games ever for just collecting Pokemon because of how the Wild Area works.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
do you think pokemon eggs are different according to the species

like bug eggs are soft and transparent, bird eggs are classic eggs, dragon eggs are big, mammal pokemon eggs are made of placenta

rock pokemon eggs are made of rock obviously. ghost pokemons eggs are rotten husks

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Clarste posted:

What kind of coward doesn't run a monoteam?

It's probably one of the best games ever for just collecting Pokemon because of how the Wild Area works.

Yeah, you can even catch some of those "you need to trade to evolve" pokemon in the wild, that owns.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

do you think pokemon eggs are different according to the species

like bug eggs are soft and transparent, bird eggs are classic eggs, dragon eggs are big, mammal pokemon eggs are made of placenta

rock pokemon eggs are made of rock obviously. ghost pokemons eggs are rotten husks

Going by the anime they are all just regularly egg-like but paterned after what’s going to hatch from them.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The pokemon games being what they are you really don't expect much but going from Gen 7 to 8 it's shocking how hollow the story and characters are. I know you're not exactly getting some prize winning story but you just kind of get nothing. Team Yell is the weakest antagonist team in the entire franchise. I don't know how they went from such a high with Team Skull to this.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
Holy heck Rotom are aggressive in the wild. Chasing me down like The Flash. Had two of the little bastards teleporting after me whilst I tried to run into Drakloak.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don't remember this hindering the 10 year olds who played Final Fantasy 7 at release or other JRPG's, but tell me more how kids are too dumb to grasp a story in games.

Again, like previous posters have said, Black/White and Sun/Moon had interesting stories so there's literally no excuse here.

Judge Tesla fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 25, 2019

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Avalerion posted:

Going by the anime they are all just regularly egg-like but paterned after what’s going to hatch from them.

Hmmm yeah but i need more

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Leal posted:

Also Spikemuth's story doesn't make any sense.

The city went downhill cause trainers don't go there because there is no gym, since the town isn't on a power spot to dynamax. Yes its cause Team Yell shut the place down, but that was at the start of Marnie's career, and I feel like its implied that the city going downhill was a thing for a while now. But this doesn't make sense for one simple thing:

It doesn't matter if there is no dynamaxing nor a traditional gym that makes challengers not want to go there because... well... It has a BADGE. If you're doing the championship challenge you HAVE to go there! You can't say "nah I don't wanna go its regular battles and thats boring", its part of the curriculum!

It's the 7th gym, and a lot of challengers don't even make it past gym 3. Spikemuth comes late enough in the challenge to not have many visitors, but doesn't have the prestige of being the final gym, and if Piers did poorly in the Gym placement tournament that would reflect poorly on the place too.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Judge Tesla posted:

I don't remember this hindering the 10 year olds who played Final Fantasy 7 at release or other JRPG's, but tell me more how kids are too dumb to grasp a story in games.

I didn't know that Sephiroth was basically dead during the first disc and you're chasing body parts until someone pointed it out to me about 10 years later...

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Judge Tesla posted:

FF7 was rated for Teens so "your average 10 year old" wasn't supposed to be playing it, hth. Understanding the story or not doesn't preclude someone from enjoying a game purely mechanically, also:

Rudoku posted:

I didn't know that Sephiroth was basically dead during the first disc and you're chasing body parts until someone pointed it out to me about 10 years later...

Is there any news yet about what event Pokemon are going to be released when Meowth goes away?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blaziken386 posted:

this thread needed more fashion, you're welcome :colbert:

Speaking of, I was wondering how to describe the vague bit distinctive fashion style Pokemon games have, especially for the default outfits of the main character. Outdoorsman chic? Like if you mixed and matched between a boutique and a hiking goods store. Most everyone's likely to have big elaborate boots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

To be fair to the 10 year olds, a lot of teens who were 'supposed' to be playing it didn't seem to quite get the story either. The janky translation probably didn't help, but there were a loooot of people who didn't quite get what was going on with Cloud, the whole Rashomon-esque thing with Nibelheim, Sephiroth and Jenova, etc. Square has ridden the "broody Cloud" train since, but that misunderstanding didn't start with them, for example.