Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Bellmaker posted:

Poor Wolf, thought of Headless and died.

On a related note, with sad horse man, is he a hint to use Firecrackers on Gyoubu? Can you knock him off the horse this way and fight him on the ground or would it just stun his horse for some free hits?

They cause the horse to rear up for a couple seconds, and you can get a few attacks in during that time. This is true for other beast bosses too, while human enemies just flinch and you get the one hit in. I think firefrackers also do posture damage on beasts, but it’s either negligible or nonexistent on bosses.

The extra freaking out beasts do is balanced by a short cool down before firecrackers will work on them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Were you thinking of the movie Equilibrium? The whole core of that movie is "gunkata" or firearms martial arts.
I had the same thought

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I recently got back into the game after Jedi Fallen Order came out. "Not as good as Sekiro? Well, not much is...wait, I never did complete that did I?"

It still fucks with my head that From Software, makers of Evergrace, one of the shittiest JRPGs I have ever played, somehow became Combat and Level Design God Kings during the HD Console Era.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Slaan posted:

I'm terrible at this game and took like 30 attempts to kill Lady Butterfly, but I also was able to beat Oniwa the first time. I guess because he doesn't pressure the player nearly as much and gives a lot of room for the player to recover when he rides away makes it easier to get through?

Yeah, Gyobu is WAY easier than Lady Butterfly. I'm very certain you're meant to fight him first.

Also the voice performances for Gyobu in other languages are just fantastic.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

paragon1 posted:

Yeah, Gyobu is WAY easier than Lady Butterfly. I'm very certain you're meant to fight him first.

Also the voice performances for Gyobu in other languages are just fantastic.

I watched a clip of a Japanese streamer running through NG+ with the English voice acting. He kept dying to Gyobu because he was laughing too hard at "MY NAME IS GYOBU MASATAKA ONIWAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!"

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah if this is going to be considered any kind of 100% then you're going to need to show off English, Spanish and French Gyoubu. The other languages are not great but English in particular is amazing.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

spanish gyoubu best gyoubu, accept no substitutes

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SpruceZeus posted:

spanish gyoubu best gyoubu, accept no substitutes

I hope English Gyoubu got a raise because he needs it to pay for his pipes.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If we're talking voice actors: the crow merchant in the Ashina Outskirts is voiced by none other than DC Douglas in the English audio.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The English dub is really good, it just isn't such a good fit for the atmosphere.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

anilEhilated posted:

The English dub is really good, it just isn't such a good fit for the atmosphere.

I dont speak japanese, and furthermore am not at all familiar with japanese cultural touchstones especially when it comes to voices and ways of speech and what they represent.

What I want to say The english VA is very obviously VA for a lot of the characters, bordering on overly hokey/campy for some. So i wonder if that also applies for the Japanese.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

What a load of flaming bull I said rewatching my boss fights.
PS: Lynneth on my Patreon pointed out the Monocular isn't working probably because of my depth-of-field settings.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
That Seven Spears guy is the third, and last, guy with the Yamauchi surname. I don’t think there’s any more lore on them, just an important family under the Ashina.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I dont speak japanese, and furthermore am not at all familiar with japanese cultural touchstones especially when it comes to voices and ways of speech and what they represent.

What I want to say The english VA is very obviously VA for a lot of the characters, bordering on overly hokey/campy for some. So i wonder if that also applies for the Japanese.

It's fairly campy for many characters. For the most part they're all using period-piece style syntax and vocabulary. For example, Lady Butterfly refers to Wolf as "fukuro no segare", Owl's son, where "segare" is a very archaic word for "son".

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Is it me or was that Lone Shadow Longswordsman only using one arm? His other looked like it was in a sling.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Tarezax posted:

It's fairly campy for many characters. For the most part they're all using period-piece style syntax and vocabulary. For example, Lady Butterfly refers to Wolf as "fukuro no segare", Owl's son, where "segare" is a very archaic word for "son".

I don't know if I'd call that campy though, it's just faux old-timey. For an English equivalent picture a period piece about 18/19th century aristocracy, that's the kind of language it uses.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

IMJack posted:

Is it me or was that Lone Shadow Longswordsman only using one arm? His other looked like it was in a sling.

Correct. Left arms are for losers.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Judging by the number of cuts and wipes in that fight, that dude was kicking your rear end with one arm tied up.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It doesn't help that the Monocular is... Monocular :v: (The scope being fuzzy appears to be a common thing with this game from what I've seen.)

IMJack posted:

Judging by the number of cuts and wipes in that fight, that dude was kicking your rear end with one arm tied up.

Good thing that Wolf has the best of both worlds. Lacks a natural left arm, so isn't a loser. Has a proto-ninja-prosthetic, so is better than those non-prosthetic arm goobers.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Aw, poor bull :(

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

IMJack posted:

I was basically learning when to deflect his attacks in real-time.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The Lone Shadow was where the combat finally clicked for me after getting my rear end kicked up and down the well an unspeakable number of times.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It also helps that you can actually stealth deathblow this one by dropping on him from above, making the fight considerably shorter. I figured it's better to learn the moveset of these guys where you can actually see it.
Gotta admit that fighting Lone Shadows feels absolutely amazing on NG+ when you already know their tricks, though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 25, 2019

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I love the animation when you mikiri counter people who don't instantly die from it. They just sort of awkwardly tug their sword/spear out from under your foot with this "DUDE get OFF" kind of motion.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

It also helps that you can actually stealth deathblow this one by dropping on him from above, making the fight considerably shorter. I figured it's better to learn the moveset of these guys where you can actually see it.
Gotta admit that fighting Lone Shadows feels absolutely amazing on NG+ when you already know their tricks, though.

Every year that games continue to get made and not take advantage of GOD HAND's camera system I die a little more inside.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Time for lots of grossness and unpleasantness. Wash your hands, folks.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Is there anyone else you could have brought to him? Anyone we don't care about?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

For anyone playing along with the LP: you can parry the Shichimen Warrior's kamehameha beam thing. The timing is quite generous, and it makes the fight significantly easier.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Tombot posted:

Is there anyone else you could have brought to him? Anyone we don't care about?

Jinzaemon and Kotaro are your only options as they're the only friendly big boys in the game.

Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011
So what exactly is the end goal here? Are we trying to destroy the Ashina clan?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dominicius posted:

So what exactly is the end goal here? Are we trying to destroy the Ashina clan?
Free your master, imprisoned by the Ashina.
It will get a lot more complicated.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

We're trying to get Kuro back from Genichiro and then presumably get the gently caress out of Ashina.

Dominicius
Dec 3, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Free your master, imprisoned by the Ashina.

The way we are going about this makes me think that every single head of the Ashina clan will be dead by the end.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Look, Sekiro is a simple man. If you give him a problem, he's going to brutally eviscerate every remotely-hostile living thing he encounters until it's solved.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
When all you have is cursed immortality and a sword, every problem looks like a pathetic mortal in need of murder.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bike tory posted:

For anyone playing along with the LP: you can parry the Shichimen Warrior's kamehameha beam thing. The timing is quite generous, and it makes the fight significantly easier.

are you loving serious

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Ciaphas posted:

are you loving serious

Sekiro follows Dragon Ball rules. Haven't you seen those mini-bosses charging up their chi?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
What the hell. Had no idea that was a thing.
Any chance for beam-parrying in the LP or do you have it all recorded?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Brunom1 posted:

Sekiro follows Dragon Ball rules. Haven't you seen those mini-bosses charging up their chi?

Dragon Ball rules my rear end, this game is loving MGR with a reskin! :mad:

(e: not a bad thing, even as a joke :v:)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
As a side note, the pacifying agent description mentions that the memorial mob have a rule about the terror status effect: 'If seized with fear, cover your rear.' This is a reference to the headless, specifically their attack where they teleport behind you (nothing personal, kid) and tear our your shirikodama, the mythical butthole organ of japanese lore.