Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

gbuchold posted:

Isn't this ignoring changes from https://www.goonhammer.com/psychic-awakening-ii-faith-and-fury-review-part-1-chaos/ and in particular that IW have a bunch of strats for tanks, Obliterators, and Havocs? Chaos Space Marines are kinda bad, especially measured against loyalists shortly after a bunch of buffs to loyalists, but they have options beyond their MEQs.

From the article you linked:

"The other comparison that stings, this time for Chaos players, is to Space Marines. This stuff is fantastic but even in this same book (as you’ll see when we get to it) GW inexplicably felt the need to hand loyalist Marines yet more absurd buffs, including multiple much more broadly applicable versions of abilities that are locked to a single Legion for Chaos. It’s honestly difficult to understand why Marines needed yet more boosts so soon after their codex. I think quite a bit of this Chaos stuff is plausibly tournament competitive, but the Marine stuff definitely is because it just trivially slots into already top-tier armies and makes them better."

There's some good and fun material there, to be sure. But from what I'm reading, it really feels like Chaos has to bin 2/3rds of their substandard units and invest a lot of CP and Relics to reach the level that basic marines get out of the gate (and then boost with their own stratagems and goodies).

Doesn't help that the last time I visited my old gaming club I saw a friend of mine (pretty decent player) get his World Eaters ROFLstomped by a newbie with a Custodes force. I watched only a couple of turns, but it felt like the gold boys stacked buffs on themselves and tossed out to-hit penalties and other tricks like candy. Makes me scared to read their codex and get even more frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Speckled Jim posted:

After 5 years of collecting Imperial fists, I have fluked my way to a relatively competitive combination of units. This will be my army for next weekends Game.

The centurions are new, but I bought them before the supplement previews on a hunch . If there's one thing GW loves its Imperial Fists fighting buildings and having centurions.

In my two years back in the hobby, I've collected a lot of stuff that shoots bolters, including 6 Centurions, and it's definitely paid off.

:respek:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The problem is that everything GW does outside of digital FAQs is experiencing at best a six month lag time. PA3 was written around the time GW thought Space Marines still needed a lot of help and that combat doctrines wouldn't encourage monofaction armies.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

LibCrusher posted:

I think they’re pretty decent. I’d pull the trigger.

TheChirurgeon posted:

They're bad. There's probably a fun strong-but-not-competitive list you can build around a squad of 10 warp talons though, which are made from the same box.

nite_moogle posted:

If you run them as Night Lords with the new psychic awakening rules they are pretty good, though you probably won't use 25 in one list.

Well, apparently my eyes deceived me and they're actually Warp Talons. They still decent?

If not I'll prob just say they're raptors anyway and start kitbashing them a bit as Night Lords. I'm not a competitive player at all so I don't expect to run into anyone with their underwear shoved up super far up their rear end.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
GW is doing a "one week only" opportunity to order old inquisition and assassin models (including daemonhosts).

I can see the point in the inquisition stuff, but the assassins? The new models are way cooler.

Either way it's also interesting because they are metal models.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The new Assassins are $10 more and posed a little more "dynamically" than maybe people are comfortable with.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Also it adds variety

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
There's also ol' school charm.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

moths posted:

The new Assassins are $10 more and posed a little more "dynamically" than maybe people are comfortable with.

I mean money wise these have a 35 day wait time so personally I think my time is worth more than $10. In terms of the poses though it's only really the Eversor and Callidus that have "dynamic" poses, but I don't really see the issue with them personally.

But hey, GW clearly thinks people want them otherwise they wouldn't have bothered.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

That would actually be aces for a narrative escalation campaign. Start with just a few cultists and a sorc, then add some demons as your cult grows in power, and then if you feel like it, near the end of the campaign throw in some Chaos Marines and/or Chaos Knights!

What would be particularly cool is if your opponent(s) started with infantry Guard, added some tanks around the same time you added demons, added loyalist Marines when you added Chaos Marines, then added Imperial Knights when you added Chaos Knights. Heck you could even do that kind of escalation with Tau (infantry, vehicles, suits, Riptides) or Eldar (Guardians, Aspects, vehicles, Harlequins).

Sounds like fun!

That's a super cool idea. I have a friend that plays IG and another one that plays space Marines I'll see if they're into it.

Seldom Posts fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 24, 2019

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Seldom Posts posted:

This is actually my plan for the CSM Army that I'm starting when I'm done my admech. I'm just using the chaos half of shadowspear with cultists and demons. And maybe that new chaos sorcerer.

I doubt it's competitive but I only play with friends anyway. I do think it's a super cool concept.

I used to think the Shadowspear stuff wasn't really much good but it seems like a great basis for a Word Bearers army using the new rules. I was going to start building a World Eaters army but it's really expensive to make Berzerkers if you're not willing to use the lovely old kit so now I'm looking at Word Bearers instead. Shadowspear plus some possessed marines could actually be really cool and not the joke force it's been for so long.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Filthy Hans posted:

I used to think the Shadowspear stuff wasn't really much good but it seems like a great basis for a Word Bearers army using the new rules. I was going to start building a World Eaters army but it's really expensive to make Berzerkers if you're not willing to use the lovely old kit so now I'm looking at Word Bearers instead. Shadowspear plus some possessed marines could actually be really cool and not the joke force it's been for so long.

Yeah, same. I had originally planned to build a unit of zerkers, but that's more of a long-range plan now for the reasons you mentioned.

I think I'm going to run this group as chaos undivided (if I have the rules right) so I can summon a variety of demons.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So I'm thinking of making a Heresy-era looking World Eaters kill team. Any ideas for cultists that would fit that aren't the egregiously overpriced Forge World Solar Auxilia?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They're big and would need a weapon swap, but you can get the AoS Khorne blood bros pretty cheap.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Seldom Posts posted:

Yeah, same. I had originally planned to build a unit of zerkers, but that's more of a long-range plan now for the reasons you mentioned.

I think I'm going to run this group as chaos undivided (if I have the rules right) so I can summon a variety of demons.

btw Word Bearers have a new strategem that allows them to summon daemons more reliably and without the risk of mortal wounds

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Does taking a Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor screw over the mono faction bonuses you get in the new Sisters book?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Filthy Hans posted:

btw Word Bearers have a new strategem that allows them to summon daemons more reliably and without the risk of mortal wounds

Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look at it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Radish posted:

Does taking a Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor screw over the mono faction bonuses you get in the new Sisters book?

Inquisitors explicitly have a rule that is "does not impede abilities that require every unit in an army to have that ability" as long as you take one. So any Imperium army can snag an Inquisitor [Even a named character] and be perfectly fine, as if the Inquisitor doesn't exist. It doesn't even take up a slot. Considering one of their psychic powers is CP generation, hey. Why not?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

You can't what now?

I know what you mean.

Where did you get the hammer and shield for that dude?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Pastry Mistakes posted:

Well, apparently my eyes deceived me and they're actually Warp Talons. They still decent?

If not I'll prob just say they're raptors anyway and start kitbashing them a bit as Night Lords. I'm not a competitive player at all so I don't expect to run into anyone with their underwear shoved up super far up their rear end.

Yes, Warp Talons are now better than Raptors, and there are more tricks to make them better.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mulva posted:

Inquisitors explicitly have a rule that is "does not impede abilities that require every unit in an army to have that ability" as long as you take one. So any Imperium army can snag an Inquisitor [Even a named character] and be perfectly fine, as if the Inquisitor doesn't exist. It doesn't even take up a slot. Considering one of their psychic powers is CP generation, hey. Why not?

That's awesome.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Chainclaw posted:

The Goonhammer articles on 30k convinced me to start ordering some 30k stuff. Is there a 30k -> 40k compatibility guide? Most people play 40k around here, so I'll want to play the army in both ways if possible, but it's no big deal if I end up with stuff that isn't 40k friendly, I have other 40k armies. I have some Iron Hands Legion Gorgon Terminators, a Iron Hands Legion MKIII Squad, and a 10 man MKIII squad on the way. The tactical marines seem no problem to run in 40k, the Gorgon Terminators I can't find a 40k Terminator flavor that has similar gear.
Unfortunately, there aren't any loyalist terminators with access to power axes. However, gorgons in 30k have the option to switch their axe out for a power fist/chainfist/lightning claw so if you really want to keep them WYSIWYG between both systems just go for the fists. Should be easy to source power fist arms off of ebay or even locals with extras. Alternatively, most folks won't have any issues if you run the axes as fists.

There is a lot of overlap between 30k and 40k and you'll largely be able to make things work. The main exceptions are units like breachers and destroyers that have no 40k equivalents. A lot of legion-specific units fall into the same category. Your vehicles will largely transfer no problem. If you intend on making your infantry overlap, I'd recommend making some support and heavy support squads to go with your tacticals. They're full units of special weapons and heavy weapons, respectively, and will give you enough to outfit your 40k tactical squads. Or devastators for that matter. Veterans are easy stand-ins for sternguard, etc. Playing a codex chapter keeps things simple. Blood Angels, Dark Angels, and Space Wolves all complicate things with their unique 40k units.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

moths posted:

They're big and would need a weapon swap, but you can get the AoS Khorne blood bros pretty cheap.

Chaos power armor backpacks are the limiting factor here more than weapons.

Ropes4u posted:

Where did you get the hammer and shield for that dude?

Both are 3d printed parts from Shapeways. The thunder hammer is from popgoesthemonkey, while the shield is from martilloycola.

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 24, 2019

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Chaos power armor backpacks are the limiting factor here more than weapons.

Both are 3d printed parts from Shapeways. The thunder hammer is from popgoesthemonkey, while the shield is from martilloycola.

Popgoesthemonkey actually has a good chaos backpack too. I've been thinking about picking one up because one of mine got lost in the ether somewhere.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Popgoesthemonkey actually has a good chaos backpack too. I've been thinking about picking one up because one of mine got lost in the ether somewhere.

That site has chainaxes, backpacks and khorne helms so you can convert the AoS guys with a set of backpacks (any chaos player should have a bunch of chainswords lying around, so there's no cost there) and you can buy chainaxes and helms to convert the cool new chaos marines to berzerkers. The problem is you're adding additional cost to already expensive models, but if you can swing an extra $10-20 bucks per squad then go for it, you'll have an awesome and distinct pair of Berzerker squads. Too rich for my blood atm.

edit: actually the AoS guys come with two axes so you could swap one out per model with a chainsword and use the spare axes as chainaxes so you'd only need to buy 1 set of backpacks and 1 set of helms, along with the two squads of course

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 24, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I read that as he wanted cheap cultists for his kill team, not cult marines.

The armored Khorne guys make awesome berserkers, but the shirtless marauders also make cool khorne-flavored cultists if you give them an autopistol.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
New necromunda box has a corpse grinder gang that also seems to be pretty good for chaos conversions.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/24/coming-soon-blood-of-baal-battleforces-and-beyond/

So the PA2 thing for Nids is Adaptive Physiology, I'm sure we'll hear more of that in the coming week.
Also Flesh Tearers will apparently get some love in the book as well.
And Chapter Approved is getting split in twain it seems. A book for just the points is an interesting and probably wise idea.

Pretty sure someone called it that Kill Team annual would add the Sisters for the game.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008
The Munitorum guide having all the points and not just the changed ones is a glorious blessing.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
What’s a good GW model to use to stand in for a C’Tan? I hate the stock models

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

LibCrusher posted:

Mourngul from Forgeworld isn't bad.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Honestly there's probably a bunch of death AOS models that'll work too.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

LibCrusher posted:

Katakros

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Well some friends and me played our kill team games in Bad Moon Cafe in London (really good place actually, a bit warm though).

The first game I played in was a three way game between me (AM Valhallans), and my two friends (Grey Knights and Deathwatch).

I stood back and let the Grey Knights and the Deathwatch run at each other, they killed a couple of each others teams. The Deathwatch weapons were pretty awesome but the Grey Knight psychic powers is just insane. Its more likely than not two mortal wounds a turn before you've fired a single shot.

It was a mission where you get Victory Points for the objectives furthest from you, or 3 for the one in the middle. I left it too late to charge forward with my entire kill team towards the middle, so while there was basically only 2 GK and 2 DW left to fight my entire team of 16 Guardsmen, the game ended after turn 4 and I lost (came second).

In the second game it was me and the Grey Knights again, but this time against an Ork team of flash gits. This was the one where it was a VP per model killed, so I ended up getting boxed in by the GK and the Orks, but when I tried to sort of counter attack against the GK player it just flopped and I got stuck in the corner (to put it in perspective, the GK with an incinerator passed four 3+ armour saves two turns in a row, passed two 6+ saves from my commissar's power sword, and only died when I shot him in the face with a meltagun). The GK player ended up killing basically my entire team, which let them win even though the Ork player grabbed three objectives (1 point per model, 3 points per objective).

Have to say after playing three games of kill team now I prefer 40K still. In KT it seems pretty hard to kill models without getting close, but if you get close you're also in danger of losing a model. So it sort of becomes a game of hanging back and hoping people come to you, and then a mad rush for objectives on the last turn.

If we play again I think the Valhallans are staying at home. I really like the Caiphas Cain team and they aren't bad, but had I taken a "proper" KT of guardsmen with like 5 plasma guns I wouldn't have had the problems getting boxed into a corner. I don't think I'd have actually played differently though, I'd have still waited for them to come to me, and when the distance is closed then move out and fire all at once. If they don't come to me I don't see why I'd go to them. If just try and get the plasma guns in range of one model and plink away.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I take back the bad things I said about the Salamanders codex their poo poo wrecks face if you can get things into position.

I mean its a big ask but due to the table cover and just being incredibly lucky on wound/damage rolls, I just has a drakeskin'd LR Redeemer filled with assault terminators backed up by some flame aggressors basically got into perfect position to melt through an opposing squad of aggressors, a big blob of vet intercessors, threw enough unsaved wounds on Guilliman to kill his Victrix bodyguards through attrition and then thunder hammered him to death.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
ironically IW probably got the best run out this release but yeah I was right it's not enough to truly help the faction and cut to the core of the problems. idk if there's just heaps of SM players in this thread but there's always some weird aggressive responses to CSM players being (rightly) upset. the new IH master of the forge stuff was pretty hilarious in a :negative: sort of way. I hope our xenos bros get some good updates in the future as they're even worse off. If CA reinforces the current meta I hope the following salt will push GW to move to digital releases in future. Our current ITC tournament group has a lot of FotM players so it's a good way to see the overall meta in a bubble and only the few Tau players and the occasional GSC list stand up to IH flyers/IF spam.

e: nice writeup on sisters btw, i think i might dive in next year to have an army with actual fun flavourful mechanics for a change. hopefully my shaky brush hands can cope

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 25, 2019

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Painted my first good guys.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Painted my first good guys.

Those look great! Have you figured out what sort of basing you're going to do?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Grundma posted:

Those look great! Have you figured out what sort of basing you're going to do?

Yeah, I ended up getting 2 dolorous strain boxes (1 a gift), so I have some redundant terrain no one wants, going to have them flying over some rubble from an actual sprue, not out of "poo poo from the garage". Some of it is high enough I might be able to pin the model to it and avoid the clear peg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/25/chapter-approved-points-updates-to-look-out-forgw-homepage-post-1/

Also, from the official German 40k Facebook page: