Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's your power injector..

What are you using bro?

redeyes fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
My ISP modem-router is so bad that it has neither dnsmasq nor support for external DHCP servers. On top of that, I really want some QoS and similar.

I could, perhaps, flash my old Archer C7 to DD-WRT, but then I'm trapped in maintenance and firmware update hell which I'd rather pay to avoid.

Since I'm getting a new router, Wifi 6 is obvious, but I have no idea how overhyped beemforming and band steering are.

I found a 30% sale on the Asus RT-AX88U, but it seems to have some wireless issues, or at the very least not even basic external DHCP server support?! No seriously, is external DHCP still a thing I need to check the fine print for in 2019?

It's not that the router itself is necessarily the best, but at 30% it might not have to be. Either way, a router with Wifi 6, QoS, and perhaps basic optimizations for game servers would be dope. Like with external DHCP dnsmasq, some customizability that doesn't require Unix nerd maintenance and firmware updating would be dope. I'm 100% open to other options, of course.

I've been putting off getting a router for so long because the technology moves so slow, but it seems we're finally getting to at least Wifi 6. Maybe some day we'll have more than 4 Ethernet ports, if that scientific breakthrough takes hold.

God I hate buying stuff.

E: Think I might have a good deal on a Netgear router instead I'll check out. Those Asus reviews looked pretty bad.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 25, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Basically every UPS I see on Amazon has some review that's like one-star, I noticed a burning smell and it nearly set my house on fire. That's the only reason I haven't bought one yet - feels like, I'd rather lose just my data than lose my data and also my house. Anyone know of a truly bulletproof consumer one?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Basically every UPS I see on Amazon has some review that's like one-star, I noticed a burning smell and it nearly set my house on fire. That's the only reason I haven't bought one yet - feels like, I'd rather lose just my data than lose my data and also my house. Anyone know of a truly bulletproof consumer one?

I've owned a couple CyberPower CP1500PFCLCDs for several years and changed the batteries in my oldest one a year ago. They've kept my poo poo running and didn't burn my house down even once.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I have a cyberpower as well and confirm that my house is not currently on fire.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I have an old APC unit and my house isn't on fire, nor did it catch fire last night during a power cut. However, it appeared to ignore my "no alarm fucker" setting, or maybe it was the home server it was connected to as it shutdown.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If you have a computer plugged into those via USB and it auto shutdown, does it kill power to everything else? Trying to figure out what happened a while back. The UPS would not let me power it back on because it thought it was in shipping mode.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Basically set a calendar reminder for 3 years from the installation date to actually replace the battery before it explodes. Better yet look at the manufacture date on the battery and do the same thing.

Charles posted:

If you have a computer plugged into those via USB and it auto shutdown, does it kill power to everything else? Trying to figure out what happened a while back. The UPS would not let me power it back on because it thought it was in shipping mode.

No. You would need software to do that for you based on the signal from the ups.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

SamDabbers posted:

I've owned a couple CyberPower CP1500PFCLCDs for several years and changed the batteries in my oldest one a year ago. They've kept my poo poo running and didn't burn my house down even once.
Literally the first loving review in the link you posted:

quote:

Unit could have set house on fire -- strong electrical smoke, and odor filled the room.

Like several others who have written in, this unit is a real fire risk. I happened to come into the room where my UPS was operating, sitting on a carpeted floor. I smelled a strong electrical fire odor and saw smoke in the room. I traced the smoke to the UPS and tried to turn it off. It just kept displaying 72 minutes remaining. I unplugged it. Still smoke and smell and the case was hot to touch. Its vents were not covered by anything, and it had "breathing room" and I could see the smoke coming out. The display stayed on. I tried the switch again. Couldn't turn it off. I decided I would have to remove the battery, but the door wouldn't open. I was getting worried with the heat and smoke it was still generating so I finally grabbed a screwdriver and chisel and managed to pry the battery door loose so i could remove a battery connection. THEN it shut off. About two months ago it began dropping power to my desktop so I had unplugged that CPU because my wall power was more reliable at that point, frankly; that left me running two flat screen monitors and the speaker amp for the computer.
Enough people have had smoke or fire problems with this unit that a recall should be considered or at least directions for how to quickly remove the battery; otherwise people can be breathing the smoke and fumes in a small space (under a computer desk) while trying to figure out how to shut the darn thing down in a hurry, assuming they were home and lucky enough to spot the problem early ! I've written the company about the situation and asked if there is a recall out there somewhere.
UPDATE 4-23-17: I emailed the company immediately, giving the facts and asking if any recalls, and within a day, an email reply suggested I call tech service. The unit was past warranty time but given the nature of the failure, I suggested registered owners be contacted ASAP with the quickest way to kill power to the circuitry if they experience what some of us have experienced. That's a reasonably inexpensive precaution, especially if panic resulted or someone doesn't have tools handy. Tech Support is having me return the unit for examination and supplying a replacement unit for the hassles, which seems reasonable. BTW, the battery seemed ok, once removed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Any electrical device, especially one with a battery, can set your house on fire. If you want to drop hundreds of dollars on a better quality UPS, knock yourself out. They exist.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Charles posted:

Unraid provides an option to shut down the UPS on main system shutdown, but I've not tried it.

Also, my particular UPS has some "controlled by master" sockets which I think turn off if the load on the master deactivates.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Any electrical device, especially one with a battery, can set your house on fire. If you want to drop hundreds of dollars on a better quality UPS, knock yourself out. They exist.
Great! Any suggestions for one where multiple people aren't reporting it nearly burning their houses down? I feel like that is a fairly low bar for a piece of consumer electronics to reach, but maybe I'm some sort of idiot!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

H110Hawk posted:

No. You would need software to do that for you based on the signal from the ups.

Heners_UK posted:

Unraid provides an option to shut down the UPS on main system shutdown, but I've not tried it.

Also, my particular UPS has some "controlled by master" sockets which I think turn off if the load on the master deactivates.

It's just a Windows 10 PC, which basically treats it like a laptop battery and I set it to turn off when the battery reaches 95%, though I would figure that just turns off the PC and not the whole UPS. Oh well, I can experiment with it some non-critical time and see what happens.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

redeyes posted:

It's your power injector..

What are you using bro?

Network basically consists of dumb 8-port switch, Edgerouter X SFP and two Unifi AC Lites.

Problem persists whether I use the ERX-SFP or a power injector to power the unit.

It seems to be a problem with the cable (which I've recrimped and replaced SO MUCH). Same unit and same power injector works fine when used with a wall plug, however, the power source is then much closer to the AC Lite.

Edit: Bonus, unrelated question: Let's say I have a bunch of internal stuff (router, raspberry pi, alarm system), any reason not to use a normal, public domain (goatfuckingfans.org) to resolve these, such that

rpi4.goatfuckingfans.org -> 10.0.0.42
router.goatfuckingfans.org -> 10.0.0.1

etc.?

(Except you tell the world you (probably) have a router and a rpi 4, of course.)

bolind fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 25, 2019

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

bolind posted:

OK, I'm now officially giving away all my ubiquiti kit, taking a vow of radio silence and moving here.

Brand new official cat 6a U/UTP cable with factory male plugs mounted, cut off one end and replaced it with a female.

STILL loving 100 mbit FDX!

Same AP works flawlessly when hooked up in a number of different ways.

I know it's solidly in the first world problems camp, but I want to utilize more of the 1Gb pipe I've got, goddamnit!

Take a deep breath and continue eliminating possibilities one at a time, and keep in mind it's possible that you've got a shoddy AP as well. Newer AC Lites can use either 802.3af or 24V Passive PoE, make sure you know which one you're trying to use. The label on the AP should tell you if it's new enough I believe. Are you using the injector that came with the AP? The ERX-SFP does 24v passive PoE. You're absolutely sure you've never plugged in the injector to a line that was already configured for 24v PoE via the router, right? Ideally you want to test with a cable before you hack off an end and re-crimp it to eliminate your wiring job and connectors as a possible cause. Make sure you're not trying to use solid ends with stranded wire or vice versa. Also worth trying a different port on the router in case there's something wrong with the interface you're trying to use.

bolind posted:

Edit: Bonus, unrelated question: Let's say I have a bunch of internal stuff (router, raspberry pi, alarm system), any reason not to use a normal, public domain (goatfuckingfans.org) to resolve these, such that

rpi4.goatfuckingfans.org -> 10.0.0.42
router.goatfuckingfans.org -> 10.0.0.1

etc.?

(Except you tell the world you (probably) have a router and a rpi 4, of course.)

Technically there's not really a problem with doing this, but it's generally frowned upon to leak info like that outside your own network. Some DNS proxies might block responses from public servers that return private IP addresses but that's overzealous on their part. If you want to use a domain you use internally then the "most proper" way to do it is to use a zone like internal.goatfuckingfans.org for internal stuff that is only configured on internal DNS servers/responders.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 25, 2019

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Great! Any suggestions for one where multiple people aren't reporting it nearly burning their houses down? I feel like that is a fairly low bar for a piece of consumer electronics to reach, but maybe I'm some sort of idiot!

Sure. This one doesn't have any reports of it burning down a house.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Y62GSJ

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Fwiw lot of places are moving away from spilt horizon DNS as it’s more of a pain then anything else, and leaking DNS info was always a bit tenuous of an attack vector.

Some places are even ditching RFC1918 addresses and VPNs to follow what google did with its beyond Corp stuff.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sure. This one doesn't have any reports of it burning down a house.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Y62GSJ
That's hilarious overkill for this application, I am only running a couple Synology units, a cable modem and a router.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

freeasinbeer posted:

Some places are even ditching RFC1918 addresses and VPNs to follow what google did with its beyond Corp stuff.

Are they going NAT64 or are these companies that already had huge v4 allocations?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Probably not, considering UPS's affinity for throwing packages like they're going for a shotput record. I've had three UPSes from this family in different sizes for years bought from Fry's and have yet to burn down my house. I've also got the analogous APC version which Amazon has users complaining of high frequency noise/chirp and have yet to experience that either.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Charles posted:

It's just a Windows 10 PC, which basically treats it like a laptop battery and I set it to turn off when the battery reaches 95%, though I would figure that just turns off the PC and not the whole UPS. Oh well, I can experiment with it some non-critical time and see what happens.

Set it to 75%. Over time the battery will lose capacity and you don't want a transient to power down your system. Or 50% why not use your ups?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Ants posted:

Are they going NAT64 or are these companies that already had huge v4 allocations?

Some do that, others basically are using https as NAT.

Some places have an internal VPN, but still advertise the internal addresses along with public ones.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

H110Hawk posted:

Set it to 75%. Over time the battery will lose capacity and you don't want a transient to power down your system. Or 50% why not use your ups?

It powers the ONT, router, and phones, which are the things I care about keeping on. I just have the PC on it for graceful shutdown.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Charles posted:

It powers the ONT, router, and phones, which are the things I care about keeping on. I just have the PC on it for graceful shutdown.

Got it. Either way I would bump it down to 90% to give yourself some wiggle room against nuisance power offs. Once under load it could meter itself at 95% on a sag and shut down instantly.

Or leave it and any nuisance trip use as a method of knowing your battery is shot and needs replacing. (Versus the power actually being off for 5 minutes.)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's hilarious overkill for this application, I am only running a couple Synology units, a cable modem and a router.

I just told you there were better quality UPSes but they cost a few hundred dollars and then you asked for an example so I gave you one.

If you don't want to buy a UPS, don't buy a UPS. This thread isn't the loving UPS police.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

This thread isn't the loving UPS police.

But loving a UPS might also burn your house down.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

There is no in-between. Get a cheap one that just covers your needs or get a more expensive one that is overkill power-wise but is probably better quality. Personally when I got one, I went with the overkill. The plus side is it powers my entire network including security cameras for at least half an hour.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Fiber question:

I'm having a ground mounted solar array installed about 350' from my house and want to have network connectivity out there in case that's necessary in the future (for whatever reason, I'll probably at least just put an IP camera out there or something to keep an eye on the array so I can go brush off snow or something if necessary in the winter)

I was thinking of running fiber through the electrical conduit that's being installed for the solar array. I don't have any experience with fiber and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for the type of fiber cable I should use. I thought I would buy a pre-terminated 400' cable, I think I need 2 strand? single mode or multimode? Do I need to buy outdoor rated cable if it's going to be underground in conduit? SC or LC connectors?

Additionally, should I use a couple switches with fiber ports or use something like these?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

dyne posted:

Fiber question:

I'm having a ground mounted solar array installed about 350' from my house and want to have network connectivity out there in case that's necessary in the future (for whatever reason, I'll probably at least just put an IP camera out there or something to keep an eye on the array so I can go brush off snow or something if necessary in the winter)

I was thinking of running fiber through the electrical conduit that's being installed for the solar array. I don't have any experience with fiber and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for the type of fiber cable I should use. I thought I would buy a pre-terminated 400' cable, I think I need 2 strand? single mode or multimode? Do I need to buy outdoor rated cable if it's going to be underground in conduit? SC or LC connectors?

Additionally, should I use a couple switches with fiber ports or use something like these?

LC duplex preterm multimode om3 is likely what you want. You match optic to cable. I remember them as little connector and standard connector but it's actually lucent connector for the little ones.

Single mode can shoot light 10km and om3 multimode can shoot light 300meters. You are well within spec here.

You will want to separate the fiber from the power lines, but laying another run of conduit is trivial compared to digging a trench. Otherwise they make armored direct burial fiber but seriously put in another run of conduit.

Otherwise a point to point wireless link is perfect here assuming direct line of sight.

Edit: just looked at the media converters - those are SC. they make lc/sc adapters if you ever change what you use in the future.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I prefer to use single mode fibre everywhere as the optics are priced very close to each other and it's always seemed more future proof, I think the cable is slightly cheaper as well.

It's probably personal preference over such a short run though.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Single mode is future proof, but if it's not preterminated, it's a pain to do properly. (assuming he doesn't have a splice kit - and if he did why is he posting the question?)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If you need more than 10gig to run your solar array data collector I feel like you're doing something wrong.

Edit: Google gave me this company that does long length preterm: https://fibercablesdirect.com/home/46-10-gig-om3-mm-dx-50-125-fiber-jumper-lc-lc.html#/length-150_meter 115meters is $180. Order it longer than you need.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 27, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FS.com has super cheap cables and optics to go with them.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Thanks for the replies. Bandwidth requirements are low but it sounds like single mode is the way to go as they seem not that different in price., and I guess just go with connectors that are compatible with the media converter or switches I get.

Do I still need to get outdoor rated fiber if it's buried in conduit? The price difference between indoor and outdoor rated is fairly substantial (~$30-35 compared to $200 on FS.com for 2 fiber). It's not mission critical so I guess I'd be willing to try the cheaper option and replace it later if it fails (unless you guys tell me it's a bad idea and will probably fail).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

dyne posted:

Thanks for the replies. Bandwidth requirements are low but it sounds like single mode is the way to go as they seem not that different in price., and I guess just go with connectors that are compatible with the media converter or switches I get.

Do I still need to get outdoor rated fiber if it's buried in conduit? The price difference between indoor and outdoor rated is fairly substantial (~$30-35 compared to $200 on FS.com for 2 fiber). It's not mission critical so I guess I'd be willing to try the cheaper option and replace it later if it fails (unless you guys tell me it's a bad idea and will probably fail).

Can you link the "outdoor" cable? Is it their "armored" cable? It says it will stand up to moisture which could be am issue in your conduit. In theory once you lay it you will never have to touch it again. You could roll the dice on the $35 cable and if/when your conduit floods use it as a pull-cord to get armored into there. Make sure you keep your bend radius low, using SC connectors is going to ensure you have plenty of conduit space though. Note shipping is also very high on the armored cable due to its weight.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
I had been looking at this one for indoor/outdoor: https://www.fs.com/products/29584.html (add 400' length, SC duplex connectors, and a pull eye to get to $200). I don't think it's armored (this seems to be their armored one: https://www.fs.com/products/70220.html)

compared to the indoor one: https://www.fs.com/products/74325.html ($30 when spec'd to 400').

FS also wants to charge $150 shipping for the indoor/outdoor one which seems...like a lot for a large roll of cable unless I have the size/scale of the roll way off in my head.

dyne fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 27, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

dyne posted:

I had been looking at this one for indoor/outdoor: https://www.fs.com/products/29584.html (add 400' length, SC duplex connectors, and a pull eye to get to $200). I don't think it's armored (this seems to be their armored one: https://www.fs.com/products/70220.html)

compared to the indoor one: https://www.fs.com/products/74325.html ($30 when spec'd to 400').

FS also wants to charge $150 shipping for the indoor/outdoor one which seems...like a lot for a large roll of cable unless I have the size/scale of the roll way off in my head.

Those spools are heavy, and the outer jacket is going to add a ton of dimension. Add to that it's coming from China directly, suddenly it costs a lot of money.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Wouldn't a nanobeam ac gen 2 on each end with like 100~200mbps actual throughput be suffice and a lot less hassle?

I mean I'm all for hard wiring anything that doesn't move but sm seems like way overkill in this case as things get cheaper and cheaper.

Encrypted fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 28, 2019

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

350 is such an annoying distance because any less and you could just run a well made ethernet cable, but I think the nanobeam might really be the way to go if you have line of sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What keystones and 8P8C (Rj45) would you recommended for 23awg 6a?

I got some Monoprice keyless keystones and they are easy to break. I also don't seem to have the dexterity to do rj45 without one of those inserts you assemble first.