Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mayman10 posted:

Probably meant the horrendous racism and crippling opioid addiction

That doesn't relate to the comment: "The British sucked so much money out of us", which would be more insightful to hear further about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

yeah i mean you were preemptively complaining about voter fraud like american right wingers do, even when their camp wins the election

is it really preemptive if i was complaining after the fraud happened

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kill All Cops posted:

is it really preemptive if i was complaining after the fraud happened

you literally made the free stuff accusation even before the votes were counted

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?
man great to see all the Dengists ITT are having a very good and normal one about this all

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Catboy Autonomist posted:

man great to see all the Dengists ITT are having a very good and normal one about this all

backing the US/UK sponsored right wingers to own the...dengists???

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

backing the US/UK sponsored right wingers to own the...dengists???

Are you at all surprised that a guy with an anarchist flag in his av is anti-ccp

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/yungkitty404/status/1198711646174228481?s=21

#pedos4hk

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

Are you at all surprised that a guy with an anarchist flag in his av is anti-ccp

no, ancoms are just risible figures

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

because last time it was offered up in 2014 the entire city erupted in massive rioting, and that was a relatively benign deal where Beijing only reserved the right to veto candidates who were openly seditious

this isn't parody?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Lightning Knight posted:

I don’t have an informed opinion on British rule versus China but it should be obvious that when someone says “actually it sucked under Britain too” that this is true, because Britain treated everyone like poo poo.

it does depend on time period - the Hong Kong colonial administration modernized only under Murray MacLehose from 1971. It was under MacLehose that the Hong Kong government took on a recognizable "modern Western state form" featuring essentials such as compulsory primary and secondary education, instead of the colonial standard of neglect. Massively exploded the scale and ambition of mass public housing programmes, mass transit, universities, schools, hospitals, etc - transformation of the New Territories from swamps to New Towns. A modern Hong Kong identity dates largely from this period.

Which is not to say that there can't be political dissatisfaction, but things are relative, even amongst comparable Asian tiger states. It wasn't altogether benevolence (the 1967 leftist riots had sent a message that even though the CCP did not want to reclaim Hong Kong immediately, as Nehru had over Goa, and indeed openly accepted continued British colonial government on conditions, it did not need to for the colonial grip to be seriously challenged by domestic dissatisfaction) and it wasn't pukka sahib far-sightedness - Hong Kong did not substantially alter tax levels throughout and the explosion in the size of government budgets stemmed largely from the explosion in the city's economic output as well in the East Asian tiger period. It had money, and it spent it on measures considered fairly technocratic/sensible by the 1970s standards of the government in the metropole.

Still, someone's aunt is unlikely to be much older than the 1970s.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"Trade Wars, Conflicts and Global Governance" discussion panel at Bucharest Forum last month, featuring a Chinese guy, a Japanese and an European. The Chinese guy is Jin Canrong.

Jin is vice principle of People's University. He does a lot of strategic think tank talks all over China. I listen to his talks on youtube because he is very funny. I guess he is closest of Chinese version of nationalist radio talk host. What's special about he is that he can make down to earth easy to understand analogies to normal listeners, and funny communist party jokes, probably because he is fairly high ranking, and has connection to the top.

He is basically a cheerleader of the Chinese side in the trade nu cold war with the US. Maybe too optimistic but a good glance into CCP's way of thinking. His English is not too bad. The Japanese guy is a bit too hard for me to understand. The moderator is a douche.

The trade war thread is kind of dead I thought I post it here.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Lol did you literally just entirely write off the Japanese dude because he has an accent and didn’t even listen to him you racist gently caress?

Even the auto detected subtitles mostly understood him jackass.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LimburgLimbo posted:

Lol did you literally just entirely write off the Japanese dude because he has an accent and didn’t even listen to him you racist gently caress?

Even the auto detected subtitles mostly understood him jackass.

No, I actually listen to him. I had to find a version of the video with chinese subtitle to understand him. I haven't found a version with Eng subtitle yet. He focused mostly on Monetary policy/trade and comparison between Japan and China. Jin focused mostly on the big picture stuff. Also the UK guy was good, he should be the host.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

MrMoo posted:

That doesn't relate to the comment: "The British sucked so much money out of us", which would be more insightful to hear further about.

"Treated us like dirt... Grew up poor and discriminated"

It related.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Mar 23, 2021

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Mar 23, 2021

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?
Given that I have evidently already pissed off people here, I'll just say that I am not particularly interested in picking sides between the world's big capitalist powers and that they'll back anything regardless of ideology if they think they can use it for a short-term advantage. That said, I think the HK protests are worthy of more in-depth analysis rather than just reducing everything to Cold War-era campism, as bad as the flagwavers are (the flagwavers from what I've actually heard from them tend to be people who buy into that thinking in a naive way). If anything I'd argue the CCP has come across as more savvy in recognizing shared interests w regard to preventing civil unrest from spreading globally, which is where you get poo poo like them posting Trump and Macron quotes on the importance of law and order on their official Twitter accounts that everybody made fun of.

Anyway this is worth reading (skip to the interview part)

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mayman10 posted:

"Treated us like dirt... Grew up poor and discriminated"

It related.

It's just old person grandstanding. Aunty by definition is a HK immigrant and clearly liked it here better than China.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
You can be miserable in China, move to Hong Kong, and then think the colonial government is also bad. Two things can be bad at the same time.

She may be referring to a tax arrangement. In the modern SAR, Hong Kong taxes go only to the Hong Kong government, not to Beijing. I don't know if maybe colonial era taxes went back to London?

Or she might be referring to the British taipan corporations, like Swire, which created a lot of wealth in Hong Kong that benefited only British shareholders. Although Hong Kong Chinese property taipans ultimately made guys like Swire look bush league.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

you literally made the free stuff accusation even before the votes were counted

Do you understand how time works

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Kill All Cops posted:

Do you understand how time works

"Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff."

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Horseshoe theory posted:

"Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff."

...then you give two of the balls pillows, and another two white shirts and machetes.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Atopian posted:

...then you give two of the balls pillows, and another two white shirts and machetes.

Yo I'd vote for a machete, that's badass

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the fact there wasn't a creepy looking white dude on the pillow box is kinda suspicious

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The CCP's idea of voter suppression is laughably amateur hour. The USA has had that poo poo on lock for over a century.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/haamyu/status/1199085604702691334

https://twitter.com/Comparativist/status/1199094648276279296?p=v

the word belief is really throwing me off here this account sets off a lot of mixed signals

https://twitter.com/Comparativist/status/1198981016351756288?p=v

https://twitter.com/Comparativist/status/1198994598183358464?s=19

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 14:37 on Nov 26, 2019

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
STOP KILLING US indeed

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

so are these camps real or what I don't know what to believe anymore

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

KaptainKrunk posted:

well theres all the primary sourced documents, satellite footage, and witnesses

otoh the chinese government said its all fake news so who knows right :shrug:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

KaptainKrunk posted:

I recommend being an ethnic cleansing skeptic, which is different from am ethnic cleansing denier, because you can't deny an event that may not have happened.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Just found this and wanted to share:

"The Communists are deceitful in many ways, ruthless and brutal when it suits their purposes, and completely treacherous by Western standards; but they are incorruptible."

–Robert P. Newman, 1961

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KaptainKrunk posted:

the camps exist - any kind of skepticism is based on the spectrum of "feeding Uighurs into a wood chipper" to "merely only replicating something on the scale of Canadian First Nations peoples education policy + FDR-era internment camps"

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

gradenko_2000 posted:

the camps exist - any kind of skepticism is based on the spectrum of "feeding Uighurs into a wood chipper" to "merely only replicating something on the scale of Canadian First Nations peoples education policy + FDR-era internment camps"

That and skepticism about what should/could be done about it. An international boycott of China might work like it did with South Africa and apartheid but, oops, the rest of the world has spent the last 20 years outsourcing industrial production to China so it'd make the world economy collapse like a house of cards. :capitalism:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kassad posted:

That and skepticism about what should/could be done about it. An international boycott of China might work like it did with South Africa and apartheid but, oops, the rest of the world has spent the last 20 years outsourcing industrial production to China so it'd make the world economy collapse like a house of cards. :capitalism:

China also has nuclear weapons so that also limits what, if anything, can feasibly be done.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

The whole thing with the camps has followed the Trump news cycle pattern:

"There are no camps!"

(Evidence of camps emerges)

"The camps are tiny!"

(Evidence of large scale emerges)

"People are there voluntarily!"

(Evidence of involuntary detention emerges)

"People there are treated well!"

(Evidence of mistreatment emerges)

...so I mean it's just extrapolation, but there's definitely a trend here.
If it were genuinely a bland non-abusive reeducation thing, why all the lies along the way?

So sure, ignore the evidence from witnesses and leaked cables if you want - they might be produced or paid for by the CIA or whoever - but the stuff described above is a sequence of things that the government first denied then acknowledged, and it is not flattering.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

its really cute how youre describing this process as trumpian as if such falsehoods were unheard of before 11/9

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Some Guy TT posted:

its really cute how youre describing this process as trumpian as if such falsehoods were unheard of before 11/9

Many organisations previously seemed to show either a little caution, or shame, or concern that near-future developments might render their current statements inadvisable. Or they made their statements in more vague or deniable ways.

Turns out that sort of thing was wasted effort all along, and here we are in the new normal.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Video of the Tiger Chair in action

https://twitter.com/gerryshih/status/1199525930156216320

https://twitter.com/StephenMcDonell/status/1199557502255263746

Kill All Cops has issued a correction as of 06:19 on Nov 27, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

no they didnt literal nazis followed that exact same script with the holocaust and americans havent been much better with their various crimes against humanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

no they didnt literal nazis followed that exact same script with the holocaust and americans havent been much better with their various crimes against humanity

Powerful defense of the Chinese concentration camps in a forum full of people who will happily denounce America and American camps and American imperialism