Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm not sure this is true; I don't think there's enough sucker money to keep this afloat. They really are caught in a trap of their own creation. When early donations were hot and heavy, they set up a pattern of spending that they can't scale back from now without looking like they're failing. Yet the current burn rate is unsustainable, which is why they needed outside investment. And regardless of the Reddit peanut gallery's expert financial opinions, CIG has no actual "valuation," because they have no product - just 8 years of technical debt and hundreds of thousands of "IOUs" to backers. They've already been paid for the "product," delivered nothing, and nobody else cares or will ever care. If the Calder's investment was the only thing keeping CIG afloat, and I think this likely, then they can cash their chips in at any time, ending the company instantly. That could happen this year, next year, by 3:00 PM today, or never. The ball is entirely in the investor's court.

Of course it could theoretically go on forever, assuming that CIG continues to find outside investment every year or two to the tune of $50 million or so. I would agree there are that many stupid millionaires world wide for that to happen. But I don't think CIG's optics lately make that likely.

CIG will do fine, and make enough money from idiot backers to survive for years yet. I don't think we'll see the Calders pulling their money unless Sq42 doesn't release by end of 2021.

Next year I can see CIG sneaking in more microtransactions and pay2win through the jank Battlefield-ripoff.

Could the Cryrekt court case sink them next summer? Possibly, but unlikely.

e:
https://i.imgur.com/UgkxJv8.mp4

Quavers fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Quavers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1XZbkCOBA

The second of the week's Fake Jeremy Clarkson videos, and the series has already outstayed its welcome :ughh:

OK that's embarrassingly bad. Never seen one before, don't intend to see one again.

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

oops

Stand by your convictions Shap. If you believe you're so right, why delete it at all?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Here is an ascending list of our estimates for total fundraising as of December 1.

Current: $243,505,268 - Monday, November 25th, 11:20 EST
Average:$255,280,739
Median (full million): $255,000,000

=================================================

$242,199,498 - Aramoro
$242,779,812 - Viscous Soda
$245,150,420 - Taintrunner
$246,473,284 - Beexoffel
$246,512,768 - Spatial
$246,948,655 - TheAgent
$246,948,658 - Sandweed
$247,420,069 - Thoatse
$247,696,969 - Bubbacub
$247,861,935 - Jobbo_Fett
$248,420,069 - Dwesa
$248,424,242 - monkeytek
$248,457,941 - Kosumo
$248,902,021 - Sabreseven
$249,842,042 - The Titanic
$250,000,000 - UnknownTarget
$250,424,242 - Quavers
$251,000,000 - zebedy
$251,227,605 - Zzr
$251,345,678 - Barfolemew
$251,947,069 - Koil
$252,020,240 - Mr.PayDay
$252,080,085 - AutismVaccine
$252,639,488 - DigitalPenny
$253,112,149 - downout
$253,284,764 - skeletors_condom
$253,769,823 - Dragonrah
$254,421,541 - SoMoteItBe
$254,545,454 - Bootcha
$254,603,497 - Peter.Quint
$255,000,000 - Iceclaw
$255,328,603 - jarlywarly
$255,420,069 - Sanya Juutilainen
$255,420,693 - Midnight Voyager
$255,743,119 - precision
$256,789,012 - h3isenbug
$257,024,024 - Hazamuth
$258,000,000 - Inacio
$258,522,420 - Baxta
$258,895,345 - GoingPostal
$260,000,000 - Agony Aunt
$260,000,001 - Blue On Blue
$261,135,996 - Jonny Shiloh
$261,227,605 - 1500
$262,114,501 - Differo Cathedra
$262,424,244 - commando in tophat
$262,426,969 - Dogeh
$263,100,100 - Colostomy Bag
$264,300,000 - Shazback
$264,666,666 - trucutru
$265,000,000 - Ponzi
$265,213,721 - Kikas Sign
$265,227,605 - his nibs
$266,666,666 - Orions Lord
$267,593,481 - Bofast
$267,999,999 - Zazz Razzamatazz
$275,301,250 - Dark Off (@1.1 FX)

spacetoaster 1$
Zaphod42 1m

Note: I might have missed someone or got something wrong. I am not running this, did it just for fun.

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 25, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

you know, one thing about that ShapCap post... 'top notch security?'

like why the gently caress would a game company have top notch security?

Combined with the 747 thing, he's totally delusional on having joined the 0.1% by virtue of being a Star Citizen

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

Spiderdrake posted:

G0rf is a really good poster.

Catching up over this thread over the weekend was good. Thanks friends.

I've actually enjoyed reading g0rfs posts on Reddit. He used to get some decent updoots, even with his critique. That said, I'm surprised his comment was removed by mods on /games.

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

I bet he struggles paying his rent though.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Call me crazy but I don't think he actually looks that bad? I haven't played it so it's hard to judge from a couple of still images but it looks like they got Cameron Monaghan pretty accurately modeled and then just sort of stylized some stuff. I can see where maybe the art direction is off-putting to folks but to me that looks way less upsetting than the Old Man Mark Hamill stuff CIG was showing off a while ago.

I can't exactly point down what puts me off. I think it's the odd contrast between the ingame model and the cutscene model (the ingame model looks way worse) plus - especially in early game - a lot of missing polish. Maybe it's just on the PS4 version, but I had cutscenes in the first third of the game where whenever he blinked, there were super strange shadows like he had double eyebrows. Also the hair that constantly reminded me of a certain gif I can't find at the moment.

e: found it

Seeing the post above of the actual actor, I understand that the overall look seems to be close to the real actor, but playing the game, and seeing the other actors (humans or non-humans) he somehow always stood out to me as "that's a game dude" in contrast to "that's a 3d scanned actor doing mocap". I can't remember a single cutscene where he looked as natural as the others. The game overall imo needed a couple of weeks of polish to really stand out, but I assume they had to release it to fullfill some contract stuff with Disney.

Mind you, it's still way better than what CIG procuded back then or produces nowadays.

ee: I also decided to no longer have hair since two years, so maybe I'm just jealous ;)

tuo fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 25, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Quavers posted:

The second of the week's Fake Jeremy Clarkson videos, and the series has already outstayed its welcome :ughh:
AHahah
It's prerendered, no rush, but they still hosed up editing so that two background guys first leave the scene and them come into it the next time they appear.

Is Justin "Money" Chambers still there?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Quavers posted:

Why don't the spaceships have seatbelts?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Yeah, but all of them apart from Senua also are not state of the art. ( and Senua didn't look like that ingame, but super close to it, allthough everything they did was a masterpiece, and absolutely brilliant, so don't get me wrong. It was the most impressive "AAA" game that wasn't an "AAA" game I ever saw, due to so many things [not only graphic quality])

I mean, look at Death Stranding, or - I know what I am saying now - the new Call of Duty.

Developers are pushing the current console tech to the absolute limits. And CIG is years behind.

tuo fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 25, 2019

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

you know, one thing about that ShapCap post... 'top notch security?'

like why the gently caress would a game company have top notch security?

Combined with the 747 thing, he's totally delusional on having joined the 0.1% by virtue of being a Star Citizen

Projection is a thing. He wants there to be some 'top notch' people around because the alternative is that his money was spent on a cryengine mod and the output of seven years of Art Director.

No matter how people might justify their outlay into this :airquote:game:airquote:, it's still going to hurt to admit that Derek was right.

Also, bringing this forward from the past because it sank without race the last time around, and I need this validation to heal my crippled Star Citizen hating soul....

1 year ago...

marumaru
May 20, 2013

haldolium posted:

why though? It's on pair with all of that and goes beyond it when it comes to proper lighting, the tech demos from Mike Seymour excluded which are in no UE4 game even though "(2018)". A Plague Tale too has amazing character visuals, but all of them are not perfect. What JFO especially does best is skin shading so you don't end up with almost unlit albedo hands like in that Star Citizen video.

It's very good and I don't really see the need to poo poo over JFO :shrug: It's well done technically.

Went back and looked at some 4K shots, and it might just be an artstyle thing.

iamjohnsalt
Dec 6, 2017

wow thos whitleys guides are just unimaginably embarassing

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

My favorite part about this story is that these guys brains are so damaged by f2p-itis than the price they sold the character for ended in 888.

One million is a good chunk of change tho, I bet he could have used that money to get most of the waifus in FGO or something like that.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 25, 2019

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm not sure this is true; I don't think there's enough sucker money to keep this afloat. They really are caught in a trap of their own creation. When early donations were hot and heavy, they set up a pattern of spending that they can't scale back from now without looking like they're failing. Yet the current burn rate is unsustainable, which is why they needed outside investment. And regardless of the Reddit peanut gallery's expert financial opinions, CIG has no actual "valuation," because they have no product - just 8 years of technical debt and hundreds of thousands of "IOUs" to backers. They've already been paid for the "product," delivered nothing, and nobody else cares or will ever care. If the Calder's investment was the only thing keeping CIG afloat, and I think this likely, then they can cash their chips in at any time, ending the company instantly. That could happen this year, next year, by 3:00 PM today, or never. The ball is entirely in the investor's court.

Of course it could theoretically go on forever, assuming that CIG continues to find outside investment every year or two to the tune of $50 million or so. I would agree there are that many stupid millionaires world wide for that to happen. But I don't think CIG's optics lately make that likely.

They just have to downscale their operation, it's not like it'll make a difference. When you're producing nothing of value it's the same if you do it with 500 or 300 people.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

trucutru posted:

They just have to downscale their operation, it's not like it'll make a difference. When you're producing nothing of value it's the same if you do it with 500 or 300 people.

Aye, not to mention they already have problems on geting hirings in a few positions.

It's telling how they were pleading for AI programmers in a stream a few weeks or months ago, and the absolute poo poo AI that was shown during the Keynote demo.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012
Did they even mention how many were working at cig during the con this year, this is where they boast the employee counts every drat year

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

stingtwo posted:

Did they even mention how many were working at cig during the con this year, this is where they boast the employee counts every drat year

“300 in UK alone” (or something to that effect) was mentioned as some point, but I don't remember anything more precise than that. It was too boring to pay any real attention.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Since it's been awhile I feel homage needs to be paid to our thread's Title Cosplayer.

Just uncontrollable laughter when I see the space garbage man. It also looks like the neck shoots vape clouds.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

“300 in UK alone” (or something to that effect) was mentioned as some point, but I don't remember anything more precise than that. It was too boring to pay any real attention.

Someone needs to dub Sarah McLachlan's 'arms of the angel' over some of the shots from the studios. In fact, just take the whole ASPCA audio from the ads and slap it over a bunch of the panning shots from the studios.

Zushio posted:

Just uncontrollable laughter when I see the space garbage man. It also looks like the neck shoots vape clouds.

You're laughing now, but he was hotboxing the whole time and experienced life as a sandwich. Star Citizen is breaking all kinds of new ground.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Quavers posted:

Jesus, these people are completely creatively bankrupt. Like, that's literally just fake Jeremy Clarkson. They copied most of his face, clothing, his paunch, even his loving laugh. And then they went ahead and put the Stig in there too as if it wasn't already obvious enough. Chris has never had a single imaginative thought in his entire life.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Regrettable posted:

Jesus, these people are completely creatively bankrupt. Like, that's literally just fake Jeremy Clarkson. They copied most of his face, clothing, his paunch, even his loving laugh. And then they went ahead and put the Stig in there too as if it wasn't already obvious enough. Chris has never had a single imaginative thought in his entire life.

They're playing to the crowd though - the sort of idiot who slaps the bonnet of his car when he's boasting about how fast it goes and calls it "she".

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Regrettable posted:

The citizens looooove that character. They even write stig intros for cig to use.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

Regrettable posted:

I mean, ripping off TopGear is explicitly the point. It's supposed to be 'totally epic' so that the German dad-gamers can write "that's why I love this company xD" in youtube comments

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Im surprised they didn't get sued last time they ripped off the car show even more obviously.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

If I recall, Not-Clarkson made his debut at around the same time as Real-Clarkson started the Amazon series Grand Tour and CIG was implying (but never actually claiming) some deeper relationship with Amazon surrounding Lumberyard.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

zebedy posted:

I mean, ripping off TopGear is explicitly the point. It's supposed to be 'totally epic' so that the German dad-gamers can write "that's why I love this company xD" in youtube comments

Yes, but you're supposed to make subtle nods to the thing you're copying, not just reproduce a near exact copy of it. I'm one of those people who loves Top Gear and this piece of poo poo ad had me groaning the whole way through.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Regrettable posted:

Yes, but you're supposed to make subtle nods to the thing you're copying, not just reproduce a near exact copy of it. I'm one of those people who loves Top Gear and this piece of poo poo ad had me groaning the whole way through.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Regrettable posted:

No, the reality is that you are supposed to make it as similar as possible without getting sued, that's the path to big money.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 25, 2019

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Golli posted:

If I recall, Not-Clarkson made his debut at around the same time as Real-Clarkson started the Amazon series Grand Tour and CIG was implying (but never actually claiming) some deeper relationship with Amazon surrounding Lumberyard.

They are masters at implying association.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
Am I wrong or did they manage to quickly remade the planets thanks to this certain tech that was just introduced to Lumberyard this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX7O9K66zbY

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

echothreealpha posted:

Am I wrong or did they manage to quickly remade the planets thanks to this certain tech that was just introduced to Lumberyard this year.

:trustme:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

echothreealpha posted:

Also https://store.speedtree.com/speedtree-for-lumberyard/

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Quick drive by with a little something I've been working on :)

Edit; resized

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 25, 2019

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
That PC Gamer article made me look back on one of the previous articles which resulted in me getting 'Removed' from the comments section. Even funnier to read through now...

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

echothreealpha posted:

:lol::lol::lol:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/troyster/status/1199053278266286080

Just use the slider.