Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
My unpopular opinion is that White Dragon's game art style is super unique and I wish more AAA game makers took chances with making really weird looking stuff, to see what could be achieved with deeper pockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I wanna see box art with huge, glistening dongs, well tanned and thicc. Also women with big ol boobs. Make everyone happy I say

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I wanna see box art with huge, glistening dongs, well tanned and thicc. Also women with big ol boobs. Make everyone happy I say

"Mount your friends", but only with boobs and dongs grasping each other

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The White Dragon is good and my friend.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

StarMinstrel posted:

"Mount your friends", but only with boobs and dongs grasping each other

Mount and Blade’s sequel gonna take on a new tone

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Been replaying Morrowind for the first time in forever and what struck me was that the menu interface is really elegant. Everything I need except the journal is right there on one screen. Since then pretty much every RPG has had a really poo poo interface made for gamepads and console. Bethesda's offerings have been especially bad and absolutely need modding.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lodin posted:

Been replaying Morrowind for the first time in forever and what struck me was that the menu interface is really elegant. Everything I need except the journal is right there on one screen. Since then pretty much every RPG has had a really poo poo interface made for gamepads and console. Bethesda's offerings have been especially bad and absolutely need modding.

What do you mean, you need to see more than three lines of your inventory at once?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Putty posted:

I'm just realizing now that I have never seen a male dentist.

I had a male dentist when I was a teenager. He got busted for writing prescriptions for painkillers for his girlfriend though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lodin posted:

Morrowind is good but oh god that class.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

What do you mean, you need to see more than three lines of your inventory at once?

i'd like to strangle the guy who came up with the idea that scrolling through a giant list is the best way to manage inventory on a console game. a grid is still superior with a controller!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Lodin posted:

otoh the game came out in 2002 when you were playing on a CRT at 800x600 which got pretty crowded

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

poverty goat posted:

otoh the game came out in 2002 when you were playing on a CRT at 800x600 which got pretty crowded

It's even more crowded on the OG XBox at 640x480.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I played morrowind on the OG Xbox and it worked fine. Ish. Good enough really. Bad.

Ok it takes about a minute and change to load some areas.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i have beaten dx: invisible war several times including replaying the last level for every ending at the end of almost every run and i think i actually preferred it on the xbox

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Let’s all agree that Nier is a poo poo game

It's certainly different. Last night it turned into some kind of text adventure, which was a little odd. The text adventure wasn't even funny odd, like Saints Row IV, just odd and approaching Kojima levels of pretentiousness.

The boss fights are also so cheap; you can tell that the developers just wanted to pad out the games run time.

I'm also not a huge fan of running around the same four dungeons. Oh, look, let's visit Seafront again.

I am going to finish it though, on my original fat PS3.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 25, 2019

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

i have beaten dx: invisible war several times including replaying the last level for every ending at the end of almost every run and i think i actually preferred it on the xbox

Thief Deadly Shadows 'feels' better on the og xbox as well. I guess that makes sense; both games are using the same engine which was written for the hardware.

The cool thing about the xbox was that not only was it using Unified Memory Architecture, but RAM reads and writes used the exact same amount of clock cycles, which made development much easier than the PS2.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 25, 2019

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

Morrowind is good but oh god that class.

Don't class shame me. One of the first things I did was mod it so stamina and life are way higher and I'm cheating like a motherfucker.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Nier owns.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lodin posted:

Don't class shame me. One of the first things I did was mod it so stamina and life are way higher and I'm cheating like a motherfucker.

Ok carry on then!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Oldstench posted:

Nier owns.

Personal unpopular “Nier owns” opinion:

Nier is better than Nier:A.

Also Drakengard is good, and worth playing.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I found tomato to be a bit too heavy handed compared to the first one myself

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Nier is bad, way up it's own rear end and full of stupid design decisions. The checkpointing is bad, the running back is bad, the deep commentary on what it means to be human is bad, the scantly clad teen sex robots are bad, and the control scheme is ground zero for making you contort your hand into a weird claw grip to hold down too mamy buttons all the time. Like how you have to hold down two buttons at all time in combat just to make your drone thing lock and shoot, before you even think of controlling the PC. It's a bad game, made by bad people for bad people.

Barudak posted:

I played morrowind on the OG Xbox and it worked fine. Ish. Good enough really. Bad.

Ok it takes about a minute and change to load some areas.

And no passive cliff racers mod

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 25, 2019

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

StarMinstrel posted:

My unpopular opinion is that White Dragon's game art style is super unique and I wish more AAA game makers took chances with making really weird looking stuff, to see what could be achieved with deeper pockets.

He sends my goony group stuff on occasion for feedback and to show off. I'm a bit concerned about things like animations/sprite layering etc but it looks good otherwise.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Enter the gungeon is the best indie game.

Razor tight mechanics and huge variety make it a good game but the amount of love and care poured into every pixel make it the greatest

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

poverty goat posted:

Nier is bad, way up it's own rear end and full of stupid design decisions. The checkpointing is bad, the running back is bad, the deep commentary on what it means to be human is bad, the scantly clad teen sex robots are bad, and the control scheme is ground zero for making you contort your hand into a weird claw grip to hold down too mamy buttons all the time. Like how you have to hold down two buttons at all time in combat just to make your drone thing lock and shoot, before you even think of controlling the PC. It's a bad game, made by bad people for bad people.

And no passive cliff racers mod

We're talking about the first Nier ya dingus.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dewgy posted:

Also Drakengard is good, and worth playing.

It's worth playing because it's not good. There's nothing else like it.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Watching the Dragon: AGAAD cut scenes in pidgin is one of the most memorable "gaming experiences" Mr. Dick has had in the past ten years and that maybe five people have also had that experience is a very slight reminder that the world isn't as good as it should probably try to be.

The last level is also a really good example of the kind of story telling or mood setting that could only be done in a video game.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Half Life 1 did not hold up nearly as well as 2.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

lurker2006 posted:

Half Life 1 did not hold up nearly as well as 2.

To what? To overstretching levels until you are basically begging for them to end because you have seen the same gameplay mechanic, slightly modified setpiece and the same enemies for the last two hours again and again and again? I agree.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The train ride in the beginning of Half-Life is the worst piece of game design I've ever seen.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I cant believe this new Star Wars game got such good reviews. Its okay but nothing special and pretty janky. Jedi Fallen Order? More like Jedi Fallen Standards.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Caesar Saladin posted:

I cant believe this new Star Wars game got such good reviews. Its okay but nothing special and pretty janky. Jedi Fallen Order? More like Jedi Fallen Standards.

It doesn't have lootboxes, so it goes from 7/10 to 9/10

somehow....seriously, it seems to be the main argument in so many reviews. The game is okay, but rushed, and brings absolutely nothing new to the table (which is okay....that's why it's "okay, but rushed", and nothing more, imo)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

The train ride in the beginning of Half-Life is the worst piece of game design I've ever seen.

I hate it because for like a decade and a half every FPS had to start with a boring establishing shot of people talking at you while you looked at things. Half-Life 2 somehow was worse

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Barudak posted:

I hate it because for like a decade and a half every FPS had to start with a boring establishing shot of people talking at you while you looked at things. Half-Life 2 somehow was worse

I liked it the first time around because it had cool poo poo like that robot. But I'll forever prefer the Doom way of "30 seconds into the game and you've killed like a dozen dudes already" openings. There's no way one can say Doom doesn't have just as much atmosphere as Half-Life.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Used to think cards on Steam were a stupid idea since selling them was such a huge pain in the arse. But the other day I found they've changed it's so it's fairly quick to bulk sell everything from specific games. Since I can't in good conscience spend money on gaymes right now I instead put on a podcast and spent 40 minutes mindlessly clicking until I had the required 8 bucks.
In conclusion, Steam cards are actually good and cool.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only opening better than Doom 4 is Doom 2 starting you with a gun pointed directly into the back of an unaware enemy.

Lodin posted:

Used to think cards on Steam were a stupid idea since selling them was such a huge pain in the arse. But the other day I found they've changed it's so it's fairly quick to bulk sell everything from specific games. Since I can't in good conscience spend money on gaymes right now I instead put on a podcast and spent 40 minutes mindlessly clicking until I had the required 8 bucks.

Someone here or possibly reset era had 1300 canadian in cards they were liquidating and I cant fathom it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Putty posted:

I'm just realizing now that I have never seen a male dentist.

It depends on where you are. I've heard that in Western countries doctors heavily skew male, especially older ones, since it was established as a male-dominated profession a long time ago, but in developing and Asian countries you see a lot more women doctors since it's seen as a prestigious profession kids are made to aim for from pretty much when they start their education.

Also, get a nonwhite, woman, or nonwhite woman doctor whenever you have the opportunity if you're nonwhite or a woman, or even if you aren't, because they actually believe you.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I liked it the first time around because it had cool poo poo like that robot. But I'll forever prefer the Doom way of "30 seconds into the game and you've killed like a dozen dudes already" openings. There's no way one can say Doom doesn't have just as much atmosphere as Half-Life.

Like a lot of things in games that were different when they were first introduced and all the knockoffs enthusiastically ran into the ground.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jerry Cotton posted:

Doom didn't have that, though? It simply gave you a pistol, and the objective to finish the map, and that was it. There was no "story" outside of the text-screens at the end of an episode in Doom 1, and the same text screens during the game in Doom 2.

Most FPS in that time picked up on that, allthough they actually wanted to do some storytelling in Quake, but ripped it out in favour of all out shooter stuff. When you play original Quake, there are so many Dungeons and Dragons like text prompts (like from a gamemaster or whatever they are called in D&D) that you could see they wanted to do a story driven game, but discarded it (Masters of Doom sheds a lot of light onto that, Carmack vs. Romero and the other Carmack etc.)

So Half Life was one of the first games that actually combined a story with the action in an FPS game, and imo they did it pretty good. The following years, though? Nah....more and more story and poo poo...

That's why I assume you meant Doom 2016, which puts everything right again. Let me shoot stuff, let me rip and tear, and first and foremost, make it fun. Tell me the story by the way, but never let it get into the way of shooting stuff, and me having fun doing that.

Doom 2016 is an absolute masterpiece, but to call it a masterpiece, it needs a lot of context(=> beeing old).

tuo fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 27, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lodin posted:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/steam-inventory-helper/cmeakgjggjdlcpncigglobpjbkabhmjl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It depends on where you are. I've heard that in Western countries doctors heavily skew male, especially older ones, since it was established as a male-dominated profession a long time ago, but in developing and Asian countries you see a lot more women doctors since it's seen as a prestigious profession kids are made to aim for from pretty much when they start their education.

Also, get a nonwhite, woman, or nonwhite woman doctor whenever you have the opportunity if you're nonwhite or a woman, or even if you aren't, because they actually believe you.

Wow man great contribution to the video game opinions thread thanks.