Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Secret Lair Bundle (all seven drops) - 12/2, 9am PT, $199.99
Bitterblossom Dreams - 12/3, 9am PT
Eldraine Wonderland - 12/4, 9am PT
Restless in Peace - 12/5, 9am PT
Seeing Visions - 12/6, 9am PT
<explosion sounds> - 12/7, 9am PT
Kaleidoscope Killers - 12/8, 9am PT
OMG KITTIES! - 12/9, 9am PT, $39.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I want that mirri but I don’t 40 bucks want that mirri

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I can't wait to see the cards but I'll also can't wait to never buy any of them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
seven cards for 40 bucks is pretty steep

(two of them are tokens too, admitedly very cute tokens but still)

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
I already know im going to slurp up this slop like the horrible little piglet i am

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Not sure it's still the latest but here's some discussion on the actual rules of shortcutting trample damage: https://blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2012/11/20/trample/

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

From the teasers I’m guessing Eldraine Wonderland is five wintery (Snow?) basic lands and Seeing Visions is four different versions of Serum Visions; I imagine both products being for people who are an awful lot richer than I am

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mat Cauthon posted:

This is not how trample has ever worked?

I saw something that implied that there was a brief period where it was the rule, due to weird angle-shooting and how damage-on-the-stack worked with pump spells and trample, where the rules were meant to allow you blow out your opponent and save a creature after he assigned 2 damage to a 2/2 and 3 damage to face, then you giant growth while damage is on the stack.

Prevented people from saying "oh no I was definitely going to assign 5 damage to your 2/2, even before you pumped it. Just to play around it."

If I'm about to giant growth and I say "go to damage" I don't want to have to also prompt my opponent for an obvious trample damage split, because it telegraphs I have a trick.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

oh no

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
How can there be tricks with damage assignment on a single blocker? All effects resolve before the damage is finally assigned. I know it was different in the age of damage on the stack.

TacoNight fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 25, 2019

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Oh no, I need like three of these. :( One for me, one for the fiance, one for the kid. Thankfully they said they won't sell out!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TacoNight posted:

How can there be tricks with damage assignment on a single blocker? All effects resolve before the damage is finally assigned. I know it was different in the age of damage on the stack.

My point was that the rule was different back when damage used the stack (which I mentioned). It’s no longer possible to blow people out in this way, so the rule is not needed for that purpose any more.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Not sure it's still the latest but here's some discussion on the actual rules of shortcutting trample damage: https://blogs.magicjudges.org/telliott/2012/11/20/trample/

I think this is actually the thing I was remembering trying to explain this to people.

TL;DR:

To prevent larger memory issues (that lightning bolt should have killed you, etc) if players disagree on what happened, the board state is what's used, and the attacker always has time to declare

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Another step closer to wizards eliminating the secondary market and selling singles direct to consumers.

Within 5 years booster packs will be illegal, draft will be dead, and you’ll only be able to buy product direct from wizards. Volume of card creation goes down, value of individual cards goes up, LGSs die out in favor of kitchen tables and digital platforms THE SKY IS FALLING WAKE UP SHEEPLE

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ShaneB posted:

I basically only buy from tcg direct any longer and would rather go to a LGS than buy from most non-direct TCG sellers. I'm so so done with their LP or worse "NM" cards that arrive after 12 days.

I’m just catching up on the dive down and got to the spirits episode. A+

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Balon posted:

Another step closer to wizards eliminating the secondary market and selling singles direct to consumers.

Within 5 years booster packs will be illegal, draft will be dead, and you’ll only be able to buy product direct from wizards. Volume of card creation goes down, value of individual cards goes up, LGSs die out in favor of kitchen tables and digital platforms THE SKY IS FALLING WAKE UP SHEEPLE

this but unironically

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Kurtofan posted:

seven cards for 40 bucks is pretty steep

(two of them are tokens too, admitedly very cute tokens but still)

The Mirri is less than $8, everything else in the box is less than a dollar. Yikes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Is it just one copy of each card or a full grip?

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Timely that I was just talking about how bad LGS margins are. It’ll be great to have $200 per regular of holiday money going right to WOTC on a product I can’t stock.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Owlbear Camus posted:

Is it just one copy of each card or a full grip?

I’m assuming just 1x - but during their scheduled reveals throughout today it sounds like the people revealing the products are unboxing them

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So those are by that artists/s behind the SCG creature collection right?

See if this is leading to a Bitter blossom reprint (I don't know Lorwyn lore enough to say it couldn't be something else) and if it impacts prices, definitely cool art stuff to do in that space. And Eldraine Wonderland could either be a winter theme or rethemed into Through the Looking Glass stuff.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

what on earth do cat based reprints of old cards have to do with secrets, or lairs, or secret lairs.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Paul Zuvella posted:

what on earth do cat based reprints of old cards have to do with secrets, or lairs, or secret lairs.

Because evil villains have cats.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Paul Zuvella posted:

Cats are secretive and live in lairs. Sometimes they vibrate like fat idiots while making dumb faces.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I guess my biggest question about the Box O' Cats is if you are gonna print a bunch of non-Standard cats, why not print the ones people want like Pridemage or Alms Collector or Oreskos Explorer?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toshimo posted:

I guess my biggest question about the Box O' Cats is if you are gonna print a bunch of non-Standard cats, why not print the ones people want like Pridemage or Alms Collector or Oreskos Explorer?

You're already getting an insane value at 40 dollars for 7 cards, they gotta balance it out!

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

lmao this is probably the worst MTG product of 2019 and that's saying a lot.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The bitterblossom one is an alt-art bitterblossom and four tokens for $30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSt0S8qniSU

:laffo:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Never change, magic thread.

Everyone I've talked to who isn't a goon who thinks every product needs to be "Eternal Constructed Playables Worth a Lot of Money: The Box" loves this and is excited to see what the other ones are.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Everyone I've talked to who isn't a goon who thinks every product needs to be "Eternal Constructed Playables Worth a Lot of Money: The Box" loves this and is excited to see what the other ones are.

I too love to spend 40 dollars to get bent over and hosed by hasbro

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

BaronVonVaderham posted:

We are allowed to feel a certain kind of way about a few cents worth of cardboard and ink being jacked up a trillion percent.

I love my daughter dearly and they are cute cats but 40 dollars for 5 bulk rares and 2 tokens is outright robbery.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cactrot posted:

The bitterblossom one is an alt-art bitterblossom and four tokens for $30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSt0S8qniSU

:laffo:

Bitterblossom itself is over $30 non-foil so it's not a bad deal if you wanted one.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I hate that they're timed exclusives. I can only afford one Cat Box for myself right now, but I'm going to want more later. Otherwise I think this is a nice idea.

Edit: But my opinion keeps wavering on it so I need to think about it some more. $40 for five cards and two tokens sucks.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bitterblossom is at least a 40+ dollar card. A bit different than selling 18 dollars worth of cat themed bulk for 40 bucks.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

And Eldraine Wonderland could either be a winter theme or rethemed into Through the Looking Glass stuff.

I’m guessing it’s the first one because one of the teasers was “five basic lands in a fridge”

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

vegetables posted:

I’m guessing it’s the first one because one of the teasers was “five basic lands in a fridge”

You're probably right and that's going to suck. I want to see more Eldraine, but not if it's just basic lands with new art. Everyone's got a few fancy foil promo basic lands in their binder that no one wants; they're not special anymore.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Normalizing this new monetization scheme that they want to run concurrently with their lootboosters will in no way have the potential to gently caress customers over and we should all cheer as our corporate overlords at Hasbro find another way to prop up their other interests with MtG money.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/HipstersMTG/status/1199026718259994625?s=19

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cynic Jester posted:

Normalizing this new monetization scheme that they want to run concurrently with their lootboosters will in no way have the potential to gently caress customers over and we should all cheer as our corporate overlords at Hasbro find another way to prop up their other interests with MtG money.

Yo I collect Marvel Legends figures, another Hasbro product and just LOL if you think MTG is the only property Hasbro is currently milking overtime.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Im still laughing at someone coming in here and unironically bragging that them and their friends are proud and happy to spend 40+ dollars on pointless nonsense and acting like its a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Yo I collect Marvel Legends figures, another Hasbro product and just LOL if you think MTG is the only property Hasbro is currently milking overtime.

I never even implied that in the post you quoted. That Hasbro is desperate for money supports my point.