Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Tetris effect.

Building a PC is pretty easy, but things can go sideways if you literally do zero research or don’t understand that those little machine screws don’t need to be torqued to 80 ft-lbs.

The trickiest parts of building a PC are:
1. Matching numbers (what type of motherboard does your AMD AM4 processor need? Hint: it’s AM4)
2. Not using the entire tube of thermal paste when mounting the CPU cooler
3. Hooking up your case electronics to the motherboard header
4. Driver/first boot computer janitoring

I think right now you can build an absolute screamer that will do 70-100fps at 1080p for maybe $1200 (including monitor) for everything outside of mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gonna have to build a beast machine when Elden Ring finally gets released.

Did he spend 5k on a prebuilt? You could build an absolute god machine on your own with that kind of money. poo poo you could build two top of the line machines for that. He really is a beautiful dummy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's a lot easier than it used to be since there are now sites that will check your build and make sure you aren't loving yourself by buying the wrong kind of RAM for your motherboard and everything will fit in the case. Even with that, I still posted my parts in the SH/SC parts picking thread the last time I built something because I don't hang out in hardware forums all day and it was nice to have someone tell me that unless I planned on overclocking, I was spending $200 more than I needed to on a chip.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes there is at least one site for parts picking now that will tell you if it’s compatible

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
https://twitter.com/toadmeister/status/1197437117175095299

:whitewater:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes there is at least one site for parts picking now that will tell you if it’s compatible

I want to say it's pcpartpicker.com?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

prefect posted:

I want to say it's pcpartpicker.com?

yeah it's pcpartpicker dot com

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

loling at the notion of spending five thousand dollars on a computer. If you gave me that much to build a PC, I'd struggle to spend it without purposely wasting money on goofy poo poo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pharmaskittle posted:

loling at the notion of spending five thousand dollars on a computer. If you gave me that much to build a PC, I'd struggle to spend it without purposely wasting money on goofy poo poo

I spent ~1200 building mine four or five years ago and it still runs everything I want and well. I think the only thing I've updated it the SSD for more space. I cannot imagine the specs on a 5,000 dollar computer.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah, without going on a custom water loop or something I can't even figure out how you spend that much on a PC.

If I was a streamer I'd probably rather spend $3,000 on a gaming rig and then spend the rest on a streaming rig so you can keep those systems separate.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

he's a dum dum who makes a 6 figure salary, of course he is going to buy whatever comes up first in a google search for "gaming computer" when you filter for the highest price range

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Extremely cursed thread

https://twitter.com/thestagmania/status/1198229865918615554

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
It's not that hard if you know what hardware is out there. There are 8TB SSDs. AMD's 3970X is $2000 by itself. 64GB of RAM, some obscene nvidia 2080 . . .

but none of this could be truly necessary for a home user

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hahaha I love when someone makes a lovely thread like that and ends it with MUTING AND ENJOYING MY DAY.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I've spent 5k or more total upgrading my PC over the last 15 years or so, but it's a ship of Theseus situation at this point. This most recent upgrade was the most dramatic, since I only kept the old SSDs, video card, and peripherals. First time I've ever actually changed cases, so truly no original parts remain.

Seconding that building your own is extremely easy these days. The only part more complicated than plugging things into other things is not going overboard with the thermal paste. If you feel like you need a new computer, you can almost certainly just identify the weakest part or two in your current setup and replace it to see a dramatic improvement for a fraction of what it'd cost to buy prebuilt.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

my first hard drive was ~500 MB and it was the expensive option, it still blows my mind that 8gb RAM is the minimum for some games nowadays.

Also a literal toddler can understand how computer go together, see as I was a toddler when I first upgraded my computer. (I hated the PC speaker, so disconnect it!)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I bought a PS4 for $350 and its pretty good, I play games on it on my television

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

T-man posted:

my first hard drive was ~500 MB and it was the expensive option, it still blows my mind that 8gb RAM is the minimum for some games nowadays.

Also a literal toddler can understand how computer go together, see as I was a toddler when I first upgraded my computer. (I hated the PC speaker, so disconnect it!)

Haha, nice. My first computer that I really had a hand in was a 486DX2/33 that had to get a bump up to 8 MEGABYTES of RAM from 4 just to play SC2K and Doom well enough. 500 meg hard drive, too. PC speaker was so loving atrocious, though. I got a 14.4 external modem, SB Pro, and Doom 2 for Christmas one year. That was a hell of a loving upgrade. (I wanna say that was when I was 9 or 10, I forget the exact age without going to Wikipedia to find out when Doom 2 came out, haha)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

emdash posted:

It's not that hard if you know what hardware is out there. There are 8TB SSDs. AMD's 3970X is $2000 by itself. 64GB of RAM, some obscene nvidia 2080 . . .

but none of this could be truly necessary for a home user

Buying enterprise grade stuff to play CS 1.6 is kind of a joke. Like I went semi all out and couldn’t justify the idiot tax on a few things (like a 2TB Samsung NVMe drive) and didn’t want to get a 2080 and an AIO to actually make it fit in the case... but I still wound up with i9 9900k, 32GB of RAM, a 2070, and a 34” Alienware monitor for $2500 all said and done.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Charlotte Clymer helped me to understand that trans people are just people, and some people are repulsive careerist neoliberal shills.

Did she ever offer up any response to Mothers comments about trans rights being a problem for women

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Consoles are for children, hth

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Juul-Whip posted:

Did she ever offer up any response to Mothers comments about trans rights being a problem for women
She still worships her, so no.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Nothus posted:

The more money you spend on gaming the more adult the hobby becomes

This is why guys playing Warhammer look like they're enjoying it as much as doing taxes or calling an insurance company

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nothus posted:

I'd agree but Bloodborne is the GOAT.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Friendship ended with Chapo Trap House, now Chairman Daou House is my friend

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Will has had some bad takes on the TL. We cannot have these purity tests!

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

Will has had some bad takes on the TL. We cannot have these purity tests!

will has very bad taste in most stuff except maybe movies

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
Will likes The Fall so he’s alright with me

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Will’s right, Daou sucks, it’s cool that he’s voting for Bernie now but given his history of being a massive dumbass I dunno why anyone thinks he’s an asset and not a liability

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
i don't think anyone's plan for revolution relies on support from peter daou

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Wolfsheim posted:

The more money you spend on gaming the more adult the hobby becomes

This is why guys playing Warhammer look like they're enjoying it as much as doing taxes or calling an insurance company

I mean, you're right. Most recent games I've dabbled with end up being essentially second jobs that demand massive pay to win or hardcore poopsocking

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
the daou faceturn stuff was kind of funny at the beginning but yeah the joke's getting a little old

Well he's not wrong at least, bernie is the best one of the bunch by a wide margin

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
being from the american south, i will relate more to the foreign born child soldier rather than the upper-class child of manhattan

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
i think Daou is a crazy, and absolutely don't bring him on the pod

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

You, a moron, foolishly: daou go on Chapo

Me, a genius, sagely: daou go on street fight

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Dauo on street fight but only to talk about his music career

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

You, a moron, foolishly: daou go on Chapo

Me, a genius, sagely: daou go on street fight

Would the galaxy brain of this be 'daou go on cumtown'?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

dreffen posted:

Would the galaxy brain of this be 'daou go on red scare'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

FlamingLiberal posted:

You can also post your build there and have all the nerds argue about what parts are the best. Atleast that is what I did when I first built my computer. :shrug: