Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

What are all the good frame/melee combos? Melee Saryn/Eternal War Valkyr come up pretty often, but what are the other good builds for a primary melee build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
im running Telos Boltace and Wukong Prime (for the movement, slide effect and a crit damage riven, with an Acceltra for 2Kong)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just saw that the GOON dojo drydock had a very cool and creative colorscheme. Who was it that was responsible for coloring it?
I'd like to congratulate them on being a very innovative individual.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Nezha's damage aura from 3 and ability to close distance really quick makes him a serviceable melee. I personally like to run him with a very mobile stance, like clashing forest, so I can spread more fire from 1 as I hit, or charge through and let the fire trail finish what my melee started.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Ugh I need more simaris rep but I hate the scanning mini game he makes you do. Is there any other way to get rep with him?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Xun posted:

Ugh I need more simaris rep but I hate the scanning mini game he makes you do. Is there any other way to get rep with him?

You can hope other people in the mission will do the scanning for you.
There are extremely rare universal syndicate turn-ins worth 1000 rep each. This isn't actually a suggestion, I just think its funny its in the game at all.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Xun posted:

If you have a stealth frame, it's pretty easy to farm up a bunch of rep in something like Kuva fortress spy.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Gauss and Wisp are extremely good melee frames. The attack speed + move speed combo from their buffs is perfect for both mowing through and moving between packs of enemies. They also both proc status passively through Shock Mote (Wisp) and Redline's missiles (Gauss) and have on demand status procs from their 3s which is great for Condition Overload. Both have solid defense options. For me, no other frames are as perfect of a fit for grabbing a couple pointy sticks and blenderizing levels.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Tylana posted:

Valkyr with Eternal War probably works better. But Melee Volt does work.

It should be noted that Valkyr and Volt synergize extremely well, both of their attack speed buffs stack. I have a friend that used Valkyr as his main, and the pause/hold timing-based combos became literally impossible to actually accomplish when we both went in with the buffs. Which, incidentally, is no longer a problem with the melee rework! Go Team turboblender!

sexual Norm
Aug 23, 2007

It's like shaking hands with a professional armwrestler.
This game absolutely rules so far. It's so fast I'm having trouble adjusting to it, but everything about it seems satisfying. I have some questions, though.

I still feel like I don't understand the in-game store . It seems like you could either buy or earn anything in the game except cosmetics, which seem to be mostly/all buy-only. Are there exceptions to that? Or, like, extra-good premium weapons?

I'm at about hour 5 and I've killed the weird Grineer dude. Where do I go from there? The game just kind of says "have fun, go figure out stuff to do"

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

gauss should have an augment for his 1 where he holds his melee weapon in front of him while hes running

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

sexual Norm posted:

Where do I go from there? The game just kind of says "have fun, go figure out stuff to do"
Junctions and starchart progress (which make you go through various things as hands-off tutorials), frame parts from planet bosses and quests, clan invite for bare necessities and too many answers to questions.

The do-dont buy with plat recommendations of the OP are still pretty appropriate. You can pick up various cosmetics without plat, but some are plat only (but you can eventually sell stuff to other players for plat).

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

sexual Norm posted:

This game absolutely rules so far. It's so fast I'm having trouble adjusting to it, but everything about it seems satisfying. I have some questions, though.

I still feel like I don't understand the in-game store . It seems like you could either buy or earn anything in the game except cosmetics, which seem to be mostly/all buy-only. Are there exceptions to that? Or, like, extra-good premium weapons?

I'm at about hour 5 and I've killed the weird Grineer dude. Where do I go from there? The game just kind of says "have fun, go figure out stuff to do"

Weapons can be bought directly with platinum and will come with a complimentary weapon slot and a catalyst installed (don't do this the value is not worth it), or you can buy the blueprint to build it yourself with crap you find lying around in game. The vast majority of the cosmetics in this game are premium-currency-only but a vendor named Baro will show up once every 2 weeks to sell cosmetics that can be purchased with in-game currencies, he also happens to sell extra-good premium weapons too! (His stock rotates each appearance.) Once you've cleared Mercury focus on clearing junctions, I think Venus is next.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

mirarant posted:

If you have a stealth frame, it's pretty easy to farm up a bunch of rep in something like Kuva fortress spy.

there's no way this is faster than just spamming the appropriate capture mission for daily synthesis

edit: You also get bonus standing for completing the daily synthesis that doesn't count toward the daily limit, and endo.

BMan fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 25, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How viable would it be to build Volt around swinging a hammer really fast with his 2?

volt's 4 immobilizes everyone for some whacking, and gives you a shitton of shield generation (like 1000 per second against high level enemies) with capacitance augment, and his 2 is the reason i never bothered to put attack speed on my rocket hammer.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The junctions will both open up planets with the resources that you need to build better frames and also give you some new quests to do along the way. Some mid-game quests open up abilities and gameplay modes so it's good to push through the quest chain at least till you finish one called The War Within. That will also give you the context you need to understand a bit more of what's happening in the game.

A good part of the early game is doing missions to get the items you need to build frames and weapons, so it's a good idea to try and build things yourself. There's a huge gap to your first frame since it takes 3.5 days to craft a frame in the foundry, which can be a bit annoying. But it's also a good time to be focusing on moving forward in the starchart.

There's a period early on when you'll be short of credits for crafting. Gabii on Ceres gives 25K for a 5 minute run and is a good node for that early. But if you ask in clan chat, you can get a carry to the Index for 100s of thousands of credits or even millions in no time - so ask.

A good first investment for customization is the Alpha palette pack if you want more colors. It's got a good selection of color palettes included.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

BMan posted:

there's no way this is faster than just spamming the appropriate capture mission for daily synthesis

edit: You also get bonus standing for completing the daily synthesis that doesn't count toward the daily limit, and endo.

Please explain to people who aren't so versed in your Warframe knowledge

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Please explain to people who aren't so versed in your Warframe knowledge

You can go talk to Simaris in the relay and he has a daily mission for you to scan some guys.

You get ~3500 rep for each one, and you get 5K-10K rep for visiting Simaris after finishing all the scans. Plus some endo.

Just scanning people without a mission would take forever to get that much.

Drawback: Simaris is such a prick.

prefect fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 25, 2019

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

False, Simaris is a gigantic prick of the worst kind and is hilarious to watch and listen to.

The actual drawback is that you have to load in and out of a relay to get his missions and complete them.

Also: daily captures get layered on top of your daily rep cap, like syndicate missions do, doing them after maxing out your daily rep from a run of kuva spai should let you make bank in Simaris bitcoins, I don't', because it's a pain.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I will also say that putting the synthesis scanner and the trap on hotkeys makes the whole process much smoother.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I like how simaris is constantly justifying how synthesis is morally correct, and not murder, while I'm out slaughtering enemies by the dozen

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I just wish he wouldn't give me so much poo poo when a target gets killed. :(

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The hardest thing in this game is figuring out which weapons to scrap.

No, I don't think I'm going to use the boltace again, but that thing was a bitch to build!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

BMan posted:

I will also say that putting the synthesis scanner and the trap on hotkeys makes the whole process much smoother.

I also feel like a loving moron when I pull out the scanner, scan something, and then wave it around trying to figure out how to shoot with my gun again every drat time. I know it's F but I want to shoot my primary, not my secondary

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The hardest thing in this game is figuring out which weapons to scrap.

No, I don't think I'm going to use the boltace again, but that thing was a bitch to build!

Spending plat to not have to make this decision makes me so much happier than spending plat on cosmetics ever could.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Xun posted:

I also feel like a loving moron when I pull out the scanner, scan something, and then wave it around trying to figure out how to shoot with my gun again every drat time. I know it's F but I want to shoot my primary, not my secondary

Spoiler: Hitting F switches to your secondary, but hitting your hotkey to the scanner (you have one, right?) switches you right back to your primary, or whichever weapon you had prior to selecting the scanner, which also inverts the behavior of F, argh, you can make sense of that.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

SIGSEGV posted:

Spoiler: Hitting F switches to your secondary, but hitting your hotkey to the scanner (you have one, right?) switches you right back to your primary, or whichever weapon you had prior to selecting the scanner, which also inverts the behavior of F, argh, you can make sense of that.

Or just learn that after scanning, double tap F for primary

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SIGSEGV posted:

This confusion is how I managed to get the "Tenno of All Trades" achievement, completely by accident. :downs:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Vanadium posted:

Spending plat to not have to make this decision makes me so much happier than spending plat on cosmetics ever could.

I made this turn some time ago and do not regret it.

12 P for two slots ain't bad. I can make that from one Prime item.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

v1ld posted:

What are all the good frame/melee combos? Melee Saryn/Eternal War Valkyr come up pretty often, but what are the other good builds for a primary melee build?

Excalibur is the classic but maybe you don't wanna exalted blade.
Inaros is great. Never dies, and with overextended he can blind almost an entire map with one pocket sand cast (and enemies that can't see you take something like 8x melee damage).
Loki, Octavia, or maybe Ivara just to abuse that same ludicrous stealth damage bonus from meleeing while invisible.
And then of course you could play Vauban or Nidus and just vacuum up all the enemies in the level into one group so you can kill them all at once with melee attacks that hit in an AOE.

v1ld posted:

A good first investment for customization is the Alpha palette pack if you want more colors. It's got a good selection of color palettes included.

Get Daybreak and make every warframe pastel pink :colbert:

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 25, 2019

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Excalibur is the classic but maybe you don't wanna exalted blade.

Excalibur has augments for 1&3 that makes him much better at regular melee, but he's pretty squishy so I'd recommend the daikyu trick to stay alive.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Valkyr's Warcry is extra attack speed and armor
Volt's Speed is a large move and attack speed buff
Rhino's Roar is a flat additive bonus to all damage.
Wisp's Speed Mote is basically another Volt Speed.
Mirage and Chroma can share huge damage buffs.
Lesser options include all the frames with augments for their 1s that let them buff allies with whatever elemental damage.
All this poo poo stacks.
And as previously mentioned stealth frames and skills that can blind people grant massive melee damage multipliers, I don't think it's quite 8x but 4x sure. looking at the wiki it turns out that it varies based on weapon rank, but at rank 30 you get 700% bonus damage when attacking from stealth.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mirage also gives effectively a reach bonus.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wisp's mote things seem ludicrously good for defending objectives. I did a defense mission where one party member was a Wisp, and I was just running around at super speed shooting my gun twice as fast while lightning constantly shot out of me at nearby enemies.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ytlaya posted:

Wisp's mote things seem ludicrously good for defending objectives. I did a defense mission where one party member was a Wisp, and I was just running around at super speed shooting my gun twice as fast while lightning constantly shot out of me at nearby enemies.

IMO Wisp is maybe the best Frame all around.

Sure her motes are hard to use on maps where you have to travel a ton but...

I love shooting 2 out, clumping a group, dropping in the middle, casting 3 and smacking a couple dudes. The extra seeker wisps do respectable damage and you can make a torrent of them quickly.

plus that rear end

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

prefect posted:

You get ~3500 rep for each one, and you get 5K-10K rep for visiting Simaris after finishing all the scans. Plus some endo.

Just scanning people without a mission would take forever to get that much.
If you have ivara and a high rank lich, you can just jump into any lich controlled capture node solo and get 300-400 per scan. If you keep moving while scanning and have decent spawn density you can get 10k in like 30-40 seconds, or max out your 29k daily standing in a few minutes - no trap or finnicky "weak" spot aim required. Spy works too if you can do the vault objectives while scanning on the go (bonus if there are eximus guards in the vaults).

I don't know how fast you run simaris scan missions, but usually it takes me longer just to find the drat scan target.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 25, 2019

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Wisp has some very good rear end ets to any team and mode really.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Tulip posted:

Mirage also gives effectively a reach bonus.

The more I use Mirage the more I enjoy playing as her.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Wisp is super good but I really hated her grind.

Mesadoram posted:

The more I use Mirage the more I enjoy playing as her.

Mirage is delightful. I was kind of eh on her for a while but she makes bombs more bomb-y and has good survival and stands up extremely well in energy reduction. She's my go-to for situations where Gara isn't that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RoadCrewWorker posted:

If you have ivara and a high rank lich, you can just jump into any lich controlled capture node solo and get 300-400 per scan. If you keep moving while scanning and have decent spawn density you can get 10k in like 30-40 seconds, or max out your 29k daily standing in a few minutes - no trap or finnicky "weak" spot aim required. Spy works too if you can do the vault objectives while scanning on the go (bonus if there are eximus guards in the vaults).

I don't know how fast you run simaris scan missions, but usually it takes me longer just to find the drat scan target.

Wow, I had no idea. Have to look into that.

My useful tip of the day: a drop-chance booster makes survival missions much, much less miserable. :thumbsup: