Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

That memory was really about the conversation they had after where Captain Metropolis said something I can't quite remember but was probably condescendingly racist.

He basically said "Keep wearing the mask and makeup because everyone we will be associating with professionally is racist."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Sleeveless posted:

Fred Trump also marched in pro-fascist demonstrations and was such an infamously terrible person that a western serial of the time named a villain after him, something Ozymandias would surely appreciate with his love of referencing Republic Pictures serials.

Ironically, Fred Trump and the KKK were protesting the NYPD for being overly Roman Catholic and that the NYPD were over policing the KKK, so the NYPD showed up and arrested 100 KKK members including Fred.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Bushido Brown posted:

So do we think that Trieu mind controlled Veidt into going into exile?

Interesting.

You’ve got a time machine, cloning technology, and a mind control ray.

The world’s smartest man has been exiled to Jupiter.

God is bored and won’t intervene.

How do you use these tools to liberate Vietnam and end racism?

Starting America over again with a very different philosophy and no slavery would help.

7th Cav/Cyclops has a teleporter and the world’s most valuable secret.

That 9th episode is going to be hosed up.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Everyone knows the episode before the finale is the hosed up one.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
My only problem with the episode is, again, there was no Lube Man

Amazing episode though, this show's focus on its themes is better than almost any other show past or present, since like, The Wire. I couldn't care less about dumb poo poo like the height of Judd's noose, why do people think it's worth anyone's time to bring stuff like that up. And yeah Hooded Justice being the first superhero and also black and motivated by racial injustice is an awesome re-framing of the original work. It's overtly making the statement that all actions are political and it owns.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Colonel Whitey posted:

My only problem with the episode is, again, there was no Lube Man

He was Captain Metropolis’ sidekick. Golden Age Lube Man was not discussed in polite company.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I have absolutely got to know what the deal is with Lube Guy.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lubeman-centric episode when Lindoff???

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Love that Eddie actually looks like a teenager. And as much as I love how perfectly-designed Synder's old-school costumes were, they were overly-slick (as wonderfully parodied by American Hero Story) and all look much more appropriately lo-fi here.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 25, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Lubeman-centric episode when Lindoff???

Honestly, if it's Petey I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his own episode as one of the final ones.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Regina King low-key mimicking the facial expressions of LGJ is the best part of this episode

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

massive spider posted:

The best part of this is that Alan Moore considers Birth of a Nation as the first "superhero movie".

The full quote is such classic Alan Moore grumpy-rear end in a top hat goodness

quote:

I think the impact of superheroes on popular culture is both tremendously embarrassing and not a little worrying. While these characters were originally perfectly suited to stimulating the imaginations of their twelve or thirteen year-old audience, today’s franchised übermenschen, aimed at a supposedly adult audience, seem to be serving some kind of different function, and fulfilling different needs. Primarily, mass-market superhero movies seem to be abetting an audience who do not wish to relinquish their grip on (a) their relatively reassuring childhoods, or (b) the relatively reassuring 20th century. The continuing popularity of these movies to me suggests some kind of deliberate, self-imposed state of emotional arrest, combined with an numbing condition of cultural stasis that can be witnessed in comics, movies, popular music and, indeed, right across the cultural spectrum. The superheroes themselves – largely written and drawn by creators who have never stood up for their own rights against the companies that employ them, much less the rights of a Jack Kirby or Jerry Siegel or Joe Schuster – would seem to be largely employed as cowardice compensators, perhaps a bit like the handgun on the nightstand. I would also remark that save for a smattering of non-white characters (and non-white creators) these books and these iconic characters are still very much white supremacist dreams of the master race. In fact, I think that a good argument can be made for D.W. Griffith’s Birth of a Nation as the first American superhero movie, and the point of origin for all those capes and masks.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

feedmyleg posted:

Honestly, if it's Petey I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his own episode as one of the final ones.

It's gotta be Petey at this point, there's just no time for bringing in a new character and motivation for the guy behind lube man.

Then again, maybe he'll just never be mentioned again which would be kind of funny.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Glass loving lied

He lied about Judd's last moments saying he put up a struggle the whole time. There was no struggle at all. Why did glass lie to Angela. gently caress

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

KoRMaK posted:

Glass loving lied

He lied about Judd's last moments saying he put up a struggle the whole time. There was no struggle at all. Why did glass lie to Angela. gently caress

All that was consistent with a hanging, self-inflicted or otherwise. They just assumed with the actual crime scene and spike strips and all that it wasn’t a DIY job. He was probably conscious the whole time, too.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

MaoistBanker posted:

Regina King low-key mimicking the facial expressions of LGJ is the best part of this episode

My broke brain read this in reverse and I was wondering what the hell Joseph Gordon Levitt had to do with any of this lol

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

KoRMaK posted:

Glass loving lied

It was based on evidence of rope fiber under his nails, and since Justice didn't have his hypnotorch pointed at him once he hung himself conceivably Judd would've been self aware and had been struggling to free himself

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

General Dog posted:

I’m seeing the word “I” a hell of a lot of times in the first two paragraphs, pass.

I thought the AV Club review of the ep was great, and it was great to bring up Alan Moore's quote about Birth of a Nation was a superhero momvie.

Got a lot of chills from the Cyclops conspiracy, mainly because of how the Ku Klux Klan was originally a conspiracy theory in 1860s America, laughed off as tale talls by high placed politicos who then dressed up at night to kill thousands of black people.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

It's gotta be Petey at this point, there's just no time for bringing in a new character and motivation for the guy behind lube man.

Then again, maybe he'll just never be mentioned again which would be kind of funny.

Some say Lube Man is still sliding down the sewer to this very day.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
The fact that the KKK isn't a proscribed terrorist organisation on par with ISIS says a lot about society.

(sorry)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So the eye we saw in the 7k studio wasn't the Squid like we thought, but a cyclops.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
There's some REALLY fantastic thinkpieces coming out of this episode so if anyone comes across any more please post them.

https://www.salon.com/2019/11/25/watchmen-this-extraordinary-being-review-hooded-justice-hbo/

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Quantum Shart posted:

The fact that the KKK isn't a proscribed terrorist organisation on par with ISIS says a lot about society.

(sorry)

The original KKK of 1865-1872 was not a proscribed terrorist organization after 1870, but the feds crushed the poo poo outta it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enforcement_Act_of_1870

The KKK was largely defunct until, you guessed it, Birth of a Nation led to a resurgence with the second wave Klan, which again died out around the 1930s, before coming back again in the third wave Klan of the 1960s.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A look inside the second volume of the soundtrack.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Smiling Jack posted:

The original KKK of 1865-1872 was not a proscribed terrorist organization after 1870, but the feds crushed the poo poo outta it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enforcement_Act_of_1870

The KKK was largely defunct until, you guessed it, Birth of a Nation led to a resurgence with the second wave Klan, which again died out around the 1930s, before coming back again in the third wave Klan of the 1960s.

A big part of the Klan dying out in the 1940’s was, believe it or not, the Superman radio drama. It did a giant set of episodes about the Klan and it dropped recruitment to zero basically instantly.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'll have to rewatch but I thought glass made it sound like he was dragged and put up a fight.

What it does go on to show if he didn't lie is that glass is more easily, and continually, fooled that he thinks

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
We've all read Freakonomics, mofucka

Weedle
May 31, 2006

MaoistBanker posted:

For someone who was on-screen for hardly any of the episode she really knocked it out of the park. Some tremendous non-verbal acting.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A big part of the Klan dying out in the 1940’s was, believe it or not, the Superman radio drama. It did a giant set of episodes about the Klan and it dropped recruitment to zero basically instantly.

look much as I love Superman kicking the poo poo outta the Klan there was a bit more to it than the Superman radio episodes

also, most of the "keep the blacks down" activities in the deep south just morphed into groups like Concerned Citizens Committees.

The interesting thing about the second wave Klan was that it had a nationwide reach and was much more focused on being anti-Catholic and anti-immigrant than either the first or third waves.

The mental image of Fred Trump going to protest the NYPD as being too anti-WASP and getting his poo poo rocked by the primarily Irish/Italian force of the 1920s is a favorite of mine.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 25, 2019

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I loved the inversion of the grocery store scene from American Hero Story shown earlier in the season. In the show, HJ is shown bursting through the window to stop a robbery and help the shopkeeper. In the real version of events, he busts up some Klan members in the back, gets attacked by the shopkeeper who is also a Klansman and has to break out of the store through the window to save his own life. Not sure if it has any particular meaning other than the fictionalized version glamorizing violence and depicting a more ideal and just society where heroes and villains and innocents are exactly who we think they are. It also whitewashes the story to eliminate any element of the Klan. in any case it's neat.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So is the 7K plan is deeper than get the blacks, right? Because using teleport and futuristic/modern means just to one up some race seems really stupid.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Good episode. I liked the subversion of how HJ appears in the tv show contrasted with what really happened.

Little moment, it was funny how casually the newsstand vendor handles Action Comics #1, when it is worth over $3 million in present day. Although in a world where superhero comics didn’t catch on it wouldn’t be worth much in 2019.

It was neat to see the Minutemen show up, but would have been cool if HJ teamed up with Comedian and Night Owl to do something, even if it were just busting up a gasoline theft ring.

Minor question, the AV Club review said that after he brought in the arsonist he was demoted for not booking the arrest? Did I miss a demotion scene? I wonder if it was cut from the preview copy the reviewer saw.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Sleeveless posted:

Adrian Veidt spent his entire life, billions of dollars, and millions of casualties trying to change human nature and meanwhile the KKK was able to invent flawless subliminal mind control with a warehouse of scraps and 18th century mysticism before he was even born. This entire show just can't stop owning him.

Yeah, I find it a bit hard to believe that the KKK found a way to mind control folks, got a minor setback when the warehouse burned, then just forgot all about it.

Also if the plot is simply gonna be "mind control everyone with TVs", what is the giant clock supposed to do? And even if the clock was a giant mind control flash light, it would only have a range of a few dozen miles or whatever, not enough to "save the world".

ymgve fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 25, 2019

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Tenzarin posted:

So is the 7K plan is deeper than get the blacks, right? Because using teleport and futuristic/modern means just to one up some race seems really stupid.

Actual racists are currently doing dumber things to one up some race

Alexa, please play richardspencer.mp3

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm sure the Nazis took more than a passing look at the possibility of using time travel to kill Abraham or whatever.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I was also confused about the demotion thing in the AV review.

Tenzarin posted:

teleport the blacks to Europa so we don't have to think about them anymore

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

I think it might be used to get Veidt, but that just opens up a bunch more questions.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Colonel Whitey posted:

I couldn't care less about dumb poo poo like the height of Judd's noose, why do people think it's worth anyone's time to bring stuff like that up.

Initially read this as a Judd's nose and I thought that was a funny send-up of continuity nitpicking.

My take on it is that sometimes continuity errors are intentional, sometimes they're not, and sometimes they're one but not the other because that's more fun/less embarrassing, and I as a television observer have absolutely no way of demarcating between them.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Tenzarin posted:

I feel like there potentially is more to it but I wouldn't be surprised if it's played completely straight. I think playing it completely straight would certainly be boring as hell, but I could see the backlash against the racist dicks of the 7K not being completely evil. I don't think we know enough yet to say?

It felt like they were trying to show what Will was doing was way too far. I got a vibe of the whole meat packing place burning down reminded me of Rorshach burning down the house of the child murdering guy in the book. At the end, the Halloween synth music with him and the flashlight was some horror poo poo and Will didn't give a poo poo about anything Judd'd explanations. As soon as he discovered the robe, that was enough to murder him. I don't think any part of that was heroic, lawful or good at all, just brutal.

It seems like they probably are going to stay in the gray than anything else. Like if anything it feels like the sins of the past have been constantly framing and loving up the present and I wouldn't be surprised if the main characters reject the status quo and the villains are all of the old guard like Will and Veidt and or the people inspired by the past like Trieu and the 7K.

Either way this episode was pretty good, much like last week's. I really enjoy these single character deep dive episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Xanderkish posted:

Initially read this as a Judd's nose and I thought that was a funny send-up of continuity nitpicking.

If Don Johnson is capable of moving his nose around on his face, that would be worthy of discussion