Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
governing the least is just a dog whistle anyways. Its about letting the south abuse minorities and ruin the environment, no matter how much they try and coach it in platitudes about trump over stepping california.

You cannot care about the environment and be any type of republican, full stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/scrowder/status/1198992518366613504
I know we shouldn't post lovely nazis here but counterpoint: fuckin look at this

That...seems ill-advised. No one said he *couldn't* break his neck, just that it wasn't likely given what we know of the situation...

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

There Bias Two posted:

That...seems ill-advised. No one said he *couldn't* break his neck, just that it wasn't likely given what we know of the situation...

No one should stop him, however.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Rendering yourself quadriplegic to own the libs

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Assange belongs in prison forever and ever amen.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/LoopEmma/status/1199061855177756675

someone quote the whole thing or give me your WSJ login please

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/status/1199060513528913922

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

There Bias Two posted:

Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof. I sincerely wish him best of luck in his endeavor.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary proof. I sincerely wish him best of luck in his endeavor.

He just going to lean against a rope a bit and declare it impossible instead of jumping up and tucking his knees.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dammerung posted:

I'm sorry that got kind of long, but I wanted to explain how I felt. I'm sorry again if I distracted from any other topics, or if I offended anybody in my post. I've been trying to work on my tone and how I come across through text, and I want to be sure that I have not hurt anybody as a result of my typing this all up.

A party isn't a family, a party isn't an employer, a party isn't any kind of tribe with any justifiable reason for existing. A party is a way for you to put a label on The Things You Believe. If those things are not the things that the other people in the party believe, it means you aren't a part of that party. And you owe the party nothing. You don't need to try to bring it redemption. You just need to not be a part of it.

What I keep telling people (including friends who are feeling lost and at sea about politics, being dragged to one pole and the other by friends vs. family and the like) is that Tribes Are Bullshit. Don't worry about whatever group identification you think is important. Worry about issues. Worry about outcomes. You'll end up surrounded by like-minded people just as a natural effect, and then you can come up with a label if that's important. But the label should never be what drives you.

E: and "small government" is a meme we all internalized from jokes in the 90s about $30K toilet seats, turns out that that is bullshit too

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 25, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

7c Nickel posted:

He just going to lean against a rope a bit and declare it impossible instead of jumping up and tucking his knees.

Much like how when he was "waterboarded" he basically just had water lightly poured on him instead of done properly.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Spaced God posted:

I know we shouldn't post lovely nazis here but counterpoint: fuckin look at this

I wish him the best of luck. If he’s not successful maybe we could research a better methodology for him to use.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

There Bias Two posted:

It would have been virtually impossible for Epstein to break his neck unless he had some sort of bone disorder like osteoporosis. Unfortunately, Crowder will live.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

USPOL Fall: Ultimate in terms of sniffing drugs

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Trump wanted to put a muzzle on the dog lol

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Spaced God posted:

He's a "comedian" so it's probably going to be jokey, rather than actually attempting

I hope it isn't, though

Kale
May 14, 2010

Spaced God posted:

If the internet was actually around during WWII do you think the real actual Nazi Party would be into daily high internet drama and histrionics the way the alt-right seems to be? I mean it's somewhat possible considering how into conspiracy theory poo poo Hitler ended up getting and how he was literally at one point dedicating resources to searching for mystical artifacts or commissioning hair brained super weapon prototypes that may theoretically turn the war around (none of which were ever remotely feasible), but there was always at least some objective or angle at least that you could connect the dots on and fed back into the war effort or other party objectives. These people give off the vibe of Stuart from MADTV doing the "Look what I can do" bit and then kind of just flailing around to nobody in particulars amusement. Perhaps the format for Jackass is also an accurate comparison here.

I keep coming back to what is the GOP and Alt-right literally trying to accomplish at this point other than making as big a scene and mess of the world as literally possible. Also what is "conservative" about any of this behavior or activity? These are the questions they should be getting pressed on loving constantly.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 25, 2019

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It wouldn't surprise me if the dog has 0 training in drug sniffing. They probably don't train them to be multi role.

LIKE A DOG

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Kale posted:

If the internet was actually around during WWII do you think the real actual Nazi Party would be into daily high internet drama and histrionics the way the alt-right seems to be? I mean it's somewhat possible considering how into conspiracy theory poo poo Hitler ended up getting and how he was literally at one point dedicating resources to searching for mystical artifacts or commissioning hair brained super weapon prototypes that may theoretically turn the war around (none of which were ever remotely feasible), but there was always at least some objective or angle at least that you could connect the dots on and fed back into the war effort or other party objectives. These people give off the vibe of Stuart from MADTV doing the "Look what I can do" bit and then kind of just flailing around to nobody in particulars amusement. Perhaps the format for Jackass is also an accurate comparison here.

I keep coming back to what is the GOP and Alt-right literally trying to accomplish at this point other than making as big a scene and mess of the world as literally possible. Also what is "conservative" about any of this behavior or activity? These are the questions they should be getting pressed on loving constantly.

The Nazis were absolute raving pants on head goobers. Yes, they would have been all about that sort of poo poo.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

:trumppop:

the mattering is upon us

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Kale posted:

They would not need to be nearly so inventive because they wouldn’t need “one neat trick to own the libs” in a society without concepts of free speech.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Nazis did a propaganda once or twice, it is true.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kale posted:

If the internet was actually around during WWII do you think the real actual Nazi Party would be into daily high internet drama and histrionics the way the alt-right seems to be?

Oh god yes. Constantly whipping their lovely base into a frenzy with a IV line of bigoted propaganda was their standard method, as with all the fascist ideologies. So imagine the joy they would find when they realized that not only do they no longer need to make all those posters, they wouldn't even need to think of conspiracies. They just need to put something out with seed accounts and the world would blow up with people voluntarily claiming that jews cause hurricanes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rudy is so screwed

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Can't wait until Trump starts claiming he hardly even knows Rudy.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status/1199067299166248961?s=19

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The White House finally abandons the gender binary

Kale
May 14, 2010

Decrepus posted:

Nazis did a propaganda once or twice, it is true.

Yeah, but the thing is I used to be able to identify what bullshit wedge issue the GOP and Alt-Right were clearly picking at with their propaganda and what political objective it served no matter how heinous or divisive. It's getting harder and harder to find a common thread in all of it's activity now other than "owning the libs" and just behaving like shitlords. I was watching a documentary on Cambridge Analytica last night and the consulting and work they did with the Trump campaign, most notably the Lock Her Up campaign that generated considerable momentum on facebook. Now they're out of the picture and a lot of shady advisory and consulting firms that helped design the GOP's disinformation campaigns seem to be as well so I can't help but wonder if they took the sort of coordinated framework of all the propaganda and online buffoonery and shitposting with them.

Like it just looks like these people are trying to stab around in the dark and recreate some of the conditions that led to the 2016 upset but just have no coherent framework. Like it just doesn't feel coordinated at all, maybe because there's no Democratic candidate yet or clear cut opponent to try to smear. I guess we'll see after the Democratic Primaries all play out and wrap up.

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rudy is so screwed

https://youtu.be/C0AYIX8Utfo?t=58

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

No, let him do it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

It's a certain type of dog.

What kind?

A certain kind.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Sorry this post took so long, I didn't expect so many responses!

How are u posted:

You seem pretty thoughtful and open-minded, and your tone is more than agreeable.

You also sound nothing like a Republican lol.

Thank you, and I guess that's the thing with how I arrived at my conclusion. I think it's just distinctions in lived experiences, or my privilege showing through, but most of the people I know outside of these forums who also identify as Republicans discuss things with me in the same way. Of course, the fear is if they're doing it in good faith or not (which I suppose they are, given that I've worked with some of them on larger projects before), but I can't control what they do. I can control what I do, though, and I always want to engage in good faith!

Wylie posted:

Without getting too long: You're no longer a Republican, in any useful definition of the word. My apologies if I'm the first to tell you. The party you think you belong to stopped existing a while ago. I know this because I'm a bit ahead of you in realizing it.

I don't know if the party can be reclaimed to be the party of "governing best by governing least". I sincerely doubt it. Right now, all the party deserves is contempt and defeat at the ballot box.

I wish politics worked the way you say it should, but it doesn't, and that's largely due to the consistent work of mainly Republicans, doing the work of their corporate donors. Making it work that way again someday is the goal.

I think that we initially agree and then diverge partway through. I still do have faith in people in the Republican party, and I don't want to give up on it just yet. I want to put in what effort I can to make politics work again.

Data Graham posted:

A party isn't a family, a party isn't an employer, a party isn't any kind of tribe with any justifiable reason for existing. A party is a way for you to put a label on The Things You Believe. If those things are not the things that the other people in the party believe, it means you aren't a part of that party. And you owe the party nothing. You don't need to try to bring it redemption. You just need to not be a part of it.

What I keep telling people (including friends who are feeling lost and at sea about politics, being dragged to one pole and the other by friends vs. family and the like) is that Tribes Are Bullshit. Don't worry about whatever group identification you think is important. Worry about issues. Worry about outcomes. You'll end up surrounded by like-minded people just as a natural effect, and then you can come up with a label if that's important. But the label should never be what drives you.

E: and "small government" is a meme we all internalized from jokes in the 90s about $30K toilet seats, turns out that that is bullshit too

I completely agree with you, but, well... we live under a largely dichotomous political system, and it used to be a label I was comfortable with. I don't owe it anything, it doesn't owe me anything, but I still want to act and not surrender it to President Trump and its valueless pursuit of wealth and power. I don't think my rationalizations work in general, of course! The answer I found isn't one that is universal. But it's what I determined to be most appropriate for me.

Lemming posted:

You typed a lot of extra words when just this line would have sufficed. You should really think hard about whether your other justifications are sincere, or just rationalizations in service of these feelings.

Thank you! I will continue doing my best.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i like that pence and everyone else pets the drat thing but trump just stands there gurgaling.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i like that pence and everyone else pets the drat thing but trump just stands there gurgaling.

Biophilia at work. That is the most human I've seen Pence look with that content expression on his face.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/hsu_spencer/status/1199073946852831242

quote:

The federal investigation into two associates of Rudolph W. Giuliani is exploring a wide range of potential crimes — including wire fraud and failure to register as a foreign agent — as prosecutors dig into the pair’s interactions with the president’s personal lawyer and the main pro-Trump super PAC, according to people familiar with the investigation.

Giuliani’s dealings with the two men, Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, are being investigated by federal prosecutors at the U.S. attorney’s office in Manhattan. That office has already filed campaign finance charges against Parnas and Fruman, accusing them of conspiracy and making false statements to the Federal Election Commission.

According to people familiar with the ongoing case, investigators are scrutinizing Giuliani’s consulting business and eyeing donations made to America First Action, the main pro-Trump super PAC set up by his advisers and allies after his election, as well as its affiliated nonprofit group.

As part of the probe, federal prosecutors are examining a raft of other potential crimes, including destruction or alteration of documents, aiding and abetting federal crimes, and foreign nationals contributing to U.S. candidates, according to the people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.

The list of possible crimes under investigation does not mean that those charges will be filed. They do, however, indicate prosecutors are casting a wide net for wrongdoing as they examine the business and legal dealings of the president’s personal lawyer, and two Soviet emigres businessmen who have been assisting Giuliani in the efforts to dig up damaging information about Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden on the president’s behalf.

Parnas and Fruman have pleaded not guilty. An attorney for Parnas declined to comment. An attorney for Fruman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Giuliani, who has not been accused of any crimes, has denied any wrongdoing. He did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

A spokeswoman for American First Action said the group reached out last month to federal prosecutors in New York, offering to cooperate voluntarily. She said the group has received no subpoenas and follows the law, declining to comment further.

A spokesperson for the U.S. attorney’s office declined to comment.

The October indictment of Parnas and Fruman does not mention Giuliani or suggest that he was connected to the alleged crimes. But in the weeks after their arrest, prosecutors issued subpoenas to a number of individuals involved with Fruman and Parnas, asking for, among other things, any documents regarding Giuliani and his consulting firm, Giuliani Partners. The Wall Street Journal first reported the interest in Giuliani’s firm.

Parnas has previously told The Washington Post that Giuliani is a “very good friend” whom he got to know in 2016 while fundraising for President Trump’s campaign.

One person with knowledge of the investigation said there is a particular interest in interactions with three key figures in the saga of Giuliani’s pursuit of dirt on the Bidens from Ukraine: former Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko and former Ukrainian prosecutors Yuri Lutsenko and Viktor Shokin.

In recent days, Parnas’ attorney, Joseph A. Bondy, has said Parnas would be willing to testify before Congress and explain what he knows about Giuliani, provided Parnas was given accommodations to avoid incriminating himself, which would likely require immunity. His campaign has included tweeting directly at lawmakers using the hashtag #LetLevSpeak.

Generally, Congress is wary about extending immunity to people under criminal investigation, fearful that public testimony could make their prosecutions more difficult.

Parnas and Fruman were arrested Oct. 10 at Dulles International Airport, where they were preparing to fly to Europe.

In the months leading up to the charges, the two assisted Giuliani in efforts to pressure Ukraine to launch an investigation of Biden, the former vice president, and his son Hunter Biden over Hunter’s role on the board of a Ukraine energy firm called Burisma.

Those efforts raised alarms inside the government, particularly at the State Department and National Security Council, where government officials feared that the president’s lawyer was conducting a kind of shadow diplomacy to generate attacks on Trump’s political rival, according to congressional testimony.

That effort led to impeachment hearings in the House, where witnesses testified this month that Trump wanted the Ukraine president, Volodymyr Zelensky, to announce an investigation of the Bidens, after which Trump would host Zelensky at a White House meeting. Some officials also said they believed the Trump administration held up nearly $400 million in security assistance as part of the effort to get Zelensky to make the announcement.

The indictment filed in October against Fruman and Parnas charged that the two broke campaign finance laws amid their effort to get the U.S. ambassador to Ukraine removed from that post.

The Justice Department charges that Parnas and Fruman disguised the source of a $325,000 donation made in 2018 to America First by giving the money in the name of Global Energy Producers (GEP), a purported liquefied natural gas company that Parnas and Fruman controlled. Federal prosecutors say GEP was a front used to disguise the funds’ true source and that the money for the political action committee came from “a private lending transaction between Fruman and third parties.”

America First Action and America First Policies, an independent big-money operation supporting Trump, has emerged a center of gravity in Trump’s political world and a vehicle through which wealthy donors and top Trump aides have gained influence since 2017.

Trump officially gave it his imprimatur earlier this year when his campaign released a statement saying it was the “one approved” group.

Top donors have paid the super PAC six-figure sums to mingle at Trump’s hotel in Washington and gain exclusive access to Trump’s senior aides and top party officials.

Starting in early 2018, America First began hosting exclusive dinners catering to wealthy donors, giving them access to the president himself in small gatherings. Parnas and Fruman attended one such dinner in April 2018, in which they discussed the U.S. ambassador to Ukraine with Trump, The Post has reported.

At donor dinner, Giuliani associate said he discussed Ukraine with Trump, according to people familiar with his account

Vice President Pence is an active supporter of America First Policies, the politically active nonprofit, frequently speaking at its events to tout the administration’s main agenda items and appearing as the guest of honor at its fundraisers across the country.

Linda McMahon, a longtime friend of Trump and former head of the Small Business Administration, now leads the operation and has vowed to raise $300 million to support his reelection.

Prosecutors said Parnas, a Ukrainian-born U.S. citizen, and Fruman, a Belarusian-born U.S. citizen, schemed to exceed campaign donation limits in giving money to an unnamed U.S. congressman, at the same time that they were asking the congressman — identified by people close to the investigation as former Rep. Peter Sessions (R-Texas) — to get the U.S. ambassador to Ukraine removed from her job. Sessions has not been charged, and has denied any wrongdoing.

In spring 2018, Parnas met with the congressman seeking his “assistance in causing the U.S. government to remove or recall the then-U. S. Ambassador to Ukraine,” the indictment alleges. “ … Parnas’s efforts to remove the Ambassador were conducted, at least in part, at the request of one or more Ukrainian government officials.”

Parnas has previously said he and Fruman helped set up a Skype call for Giuliani in late 2018 with Viktor Shokin, who was Ukraine’s prosecutor general from 2015 to 2016, and an in-person meeting in New York this past January with Yuri Lutsenko, then Ukraine’s top prosecutor, who had urged the removal of the U.S. ambassador, Marie Yovanovitch.

According to the indictment of Parnas and Fruman, the pair began scheming in March 2018 “to advance their personal financial interests and the political interests of at least one Ukrainian government official with whom they were working.”

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rauros posted:

Biophilia at work. That is the most human I've seen Pence look with that content expression on his face.

pence is a monster but he actually likes animals, he has that bunny that john oliver parody, a couple cats including one with obvious dementia and a snake. trump is so broken as human he doesnt undertand/dislikes animal companion ship.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Does Giuliani still enjoy secret service protection and would they prevent any enforcement of the law against him? Subpoenaing or being arrested?

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Dammerung posted:

Thank you! I will continue doing my best.

Your system of 'I don't like what the party has become but I'm sort of sticking with them for sorta reasons' is exactly what's wrong with the party. I know you think you're one of the 'good republicans' but you're not. By all means pat yourself on the back for not hating the jews or whatever but if you don't actually agree with their policies, don't vote for them, and don't publicly support them.

The only people that no politician\party gives a rats rear end about are the people that will not change no matter what.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

pacerhimself posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the dog has 0 training in drug sniffing. They probably don't train them to be multi role.

LIKE A DOG

Yeah it's a completely different training path for both the handlers and the dogs.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I hope he committed Mail Crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Kale posted:

If the internet was actually around during WWII do you think the real actual Nazi Party would be into daily high internet drama and histrionics the way the alt-right seems to be?

Abso-loving-lutely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_Jn4gdwls8