Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Paul Zuvella posted:

Next Secret Lair.

Golgari Thug
Life from the Loam
Bloodghast.

29.99$

Can't even tell if it's a joke lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Restless in Peace reveal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaX-sCyWwGo

Nox is great as usual.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

gently caress, beaten by seconds.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Next Secret Lair.

Golgari Thug
Life from the Loam
Bloodghast.

29.99$

It's so loving dumb that satire is literally indistinguishable from reality at this point.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The whole point of having a game business model based around premium cosmetics is that you can give away the basic gameplay for free/cheap.

I think trying to have it both ways -gouging whales with continuous premium products while also keeping the lottery of booster packs to obtain game pieces - is going to backfire for WotC.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

It is a joke, but its also true

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I mean at the end of the day, if they could wave a magic wand and end eternal formats, they likely would. They barely sell cards

eternal formats don't sell cards directly, but the idea that a card may be relevant in an eternal format probably adds some FOMO to buying currently standard-legal cards which boosts demand, and the fact that cards retain some value helps with your dumb lizard brain

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Paul Zuvella posted:

It is a joke, but its also true

lmao

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

quick someone come in here and tell me why paying wotc 30 bucks plus shipping for 25$ worth of singles is actually good

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Paul Zuvella posted:

quick someone come in here and tell me why paying wotc 30 bucks plus shipping for 25$ worth of singles is actually good

You really love Iron Maiden cover art guy, I guess

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Are all the Secret Lairs foil or just the snow land one so far?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

WalrusWhiskers posted:

Restless in Peace reveal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaX-sCyWwGo

Nox is great as usual.

the fact they scrawl drop series on every box makes me think too much of loot box drops.

The bitterblossom looks okay, and those tokens look pretty cool. If I didn't already have a playset of BB for my deck I'd probably get one since it's not too much higher than the current cost of BB.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Please note that these are not full art cards, they are not foil cards.

They are just regular rear end, magic cards, standard border, standard everything.

Just new art.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

all my upper middle class friends with no financial obligations can't wait to buy them! that makes them good

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I like how they are ridiculously overpackaged.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Does this even count as undercutting the secondary market because they are effectively selling these cards at a premium.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

whydirt posted:

The whole point of having a game business model based around premium cosmetics is that you can give away the basic gameplay for free/cheap.

I think trying to have it both ways -gouging whales with continuous premium products while also keeping the lottery of booster packs to obtain game pieces - is going to backfire for WotC.

Been working out like gangbusters for them so far, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

LifeLynx posted:

It is funny that WotC occasionally gets foils right so they look good and don't curve, and then immediately changes things. I had a stack of random common foils, most of which had been curved badly by the humidity when I wasn't prepared for how humid it would get in a small basement apartment without a dehumidifier. I think it was Avacyn Restored, but one of the sets' foils were perfectly flat despite the conditions. They really don't care about foils curving.

Avacyn Restored's foils were bizarre, because they look so hosed up like they were all smudged but they're also flattened.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Next Secret Lair.

Golgari Thug
Life from the Loam
Bloodghast.

29.99$ for about 25$ worth of 3 singles.

holy poo poo you're not joking, three loving cards and one of them is a loving $1 uncommon

presumably they're just as unplayable as the foil basics though Nox held them up so that we can't see the curvature.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Please note that these are not full art cards, they are not foil cards.

They are just regular rear end, magic cards, standard border, standard everything.

Just new art.

oh lol they're actually playable just way overpriced, cool, also this is just a very small portion of the Izzet vs Golgari duel deck but at $10 over that product's msrp lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The snow lands not coming in playsets of 4 or 5 is the clearest sign that they have no respect for the consumer at all

This is why I think the Prof is one of the best MtG content creators. He buys the poo poo with his own money and judges it and has no problem at all telling you if something is trash. I love Tolaroan CC

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What’s everyone’s prediction for Pioneer bans/the next Secret Lair box?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Duel_Decks:_Izzet_vs._Golgari

check these decklists and ask why they're charging $10 more for +1 Bloodghast -two playable decks and also not allowing you to support your local game store

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

You, an idiot: spending $120 to avoid mis-matched arts for your modern dredge deck after the looting ban.

Me, a genius: spending $600 to make sure all of my foil snow basics are uniformly curled.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Cactrot posted:

You, an idiot: spending $120 to avoid mis-matched arts for your modern dredge deck after the looting ban.

Me, a genius: spending $600 to make sure all of my foil snow basics are uniformly curled.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

fadam posted:

Explosions!

Child of Alara
Damnation
Fireball
Banefire

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

fadam posted:

smuglers copter banned and 4 copies of smugglers copter for 39.99

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Honestly, one of the shittiest parts of the Secret Lairs is that they’re cutting out LGS from the sales. I wouldn’t mind premium high margin products as much if they help local game shops have something to compete against online/big box retailers.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cactrot posted:

actually you'll need to spend $1000 in case you need 25 Snow-Covered Swamps or whatever

actually you'll need to spend $3960 in case you want to play a mono-colored EDH deck because if you play one of these you'll need to play 99 of these and a commander

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Bust Rodd posted:

The snow lands not coming in playsets of 4 or 5 is the clearest sign that they have no respect for the consumer at all

This is why I think the Prof is one of the best MtG content creators. He buys the poo poo with his own money and judges it and has no problem at all telling you if something is trash. I love Tolaroan CC

5 Modern Horizons foil lands would be $44.

And sure, they could've given us all new cars and really fancy watches too. I'm a big fan paying $100 for $1000 but unfortunately, that doesn't typically happen in the real world.

(https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/e1ktgm/secret_lair_eldraine_wonderland_reveal_and/f8q0y4w/)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

smuglers copter banned and 4 copies of smugglers copter for 39.99

If Smug Copter gets banned before Nykthos I’m going mask off

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

How the gently caress are they doing these and not foil full art Ravnica and Ravnican guild lands.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Argas posted:

How the gently caress are they doing these and not foil full art Ravnica and Ravnican guild lands.

Why are the snow lands not just 20 of a single land?

Don’t question them. This is all a test. If it’s not for you it’s not for you, this is wotc asking “how valuable is selling direct to us”

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I keep hearing about how super popular Ravnica is. Where's my full art lands?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

The day I found Tolarian Community College was the day I got way more invested in following Magic. All his videos are great even if they're about things I have absolutely no interest in buying. It's also very fun to watch him rip lovely inventory clearing items at Target/Wal-Mart for being garbage so terrible even the youngest Timmy would be disappointed.

edit: These Secret Lair things seem absolutely horrible unless you really want to avoid the secondary market for cards that aren't even really all that relevant. Just a bizarre product.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I don't think its an accident that every single one of these is being sold separately and have wildly different compositions, styles, and value propositions.

They are actively testing what they can get away with and how stupid their customer base is.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 25, 2019

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

I don't think its an accident that every single one of these is being sold separately and have wildly different compositions, styles, and value proposition.

They are actively testing what they can get away with and how stupid their customer base is.

Okay actually this makes way more sense.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eagerly awaiting the TCC review of the Secret Lair line

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Paul Zuvella posted:

I don't think its an accident that every single one of these is being sold separately and have wildly different compositions, styles, and value propositions.

So what signal does it send when a bunch of people buy all of them?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Seeing Visions:

4 different alternative alt versions of Serum Visions

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Did we not get a Pioneer ban update yet? WOTC really being cavalier with the length of these working lunches.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paul Zuvella posted:

They also know that they've gained a lot of new players in the past few years, most of whom entered through Arena and are part of a generation that's been conditioned by mobile games to be ridiculous suckers for FOMO. Plus it's Black Friday season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Seeing Visions:

4 different alternative alt versions of Serum Visions

two of the arts are neat, two are meh, and all four are foil and therefore unplayable