Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

torgeaux posted:

Yeah, I know...but it's snow, snow, snow.

You like this better?

White by B. B., on Flickr

I do. Think the vertical one is a better shot though. Left side of this one isn’t really doing much.

With a little cropping it could make a nice square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:

I prefer this edit as well. This is good!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

tk posted:

I do. Think the vertical one is a better shot though. Left side of this one isn’t really doing much.

With a little cropping it could make a nice square.

How dare you edit my picture and make it better!

Yeah, much nicer.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

torgeaux posted:

Yeah, I know...but it's snow, snow, snow.

Nevermind...clearly too blue...although I like the blue, too.

White by B. B., on Flickr

White with color by B. B., on Flickr

White with Car by B. B., on Flickr

I hope you are aware of this month's theme in the contest thread.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

theHUNGERian posted:

I hope you are aware of this month's theme in the contest thread.

I was not. Now, I will take advantage of the critique herein and submit. Although, not the edited picture because THAT ONE'S RUINED NOW!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

torgeaux posted:

I was not. Now, I will take advantage of the critique herein and submit. Although, not the edited picture because THAT ONE'S RUINED NOW!

I am still super bummed that "white" was not the theme in June, right after I came back from a 9-day mountaineering seminar on a glacier in Alaska.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

torgeaux posted:

I have to sabotage the competition because it’s the 22nd and I have nothing. Had high hopes for my fog pictures but I got bupkis.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like a little color cast on snow, especially during heavy overcast. If you set the white balance so it's "proper white" it starts to look like a flat B&W conversion, so a little blue cast I think is helpful. Then during clear skies a little warmth starts to work better.

Snowy Tree by Seth Graham, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

I like a little color cast on snow, especially during heavy overcast. If you set the white balance so it's "proper white" it starts to look like a flat B&W conversion, so a little blue cast I think is helpful. Then during clear skies a little warmth starts to work better.

Snowy Tree by Seth Graham, on Flickr

Yeah, it's finding the balance that's tough for me. I'm red/green color blind and it causes me to second guess any time I'm loving with picture temp or messing with color balance.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ohh! A landscape thread!.

Picked up film photography this year (Having shot digital some years ago and burned out on it).

From my 'new' medium format camera: (Waiting for my MF filmholder to scan it properly)

And my Intrepid 4x5

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

And my Intrepid 4x5

classic intrepid light leak vibe

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A company that only sends functioning units to youtube stars is part of the charm!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

This almost looks like a Martian landscape.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Didn't get my poo poo together in time to post in the November thread so here's my 'white' pic

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Didn't get my poo poo together in time to post in the November thread so here's my 'white' pic

shame.gif

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Hythe Christmas Tree Drop 2019 by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

This is excellent.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I reckon it would be better without the helicopter in a more conventional crop, like 8x10

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it works as is or with a crop. The original aspect is pretty awkward but without the helicopter it's surreal. Which is valid but if one wants a documentary picture then the helicopter's gotta stay.

Either way it's cool!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

documentary is lame, crop it out

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
It would also look great with a crop. The bottom portion in itself is a really nice shot.

Vertical images are hard to present. I first saw it on a short display and really enjoyed scrolling down to discover the scene that the helicopter was involved in. By time I got there I couldn’t see the helicopter anymore. Works for me. Just figure out how to get everybody else to experience it the same way.

tk fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 2, 2019

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
My new photobook of vertical xpan photos is gonna come printed on soft paper and in a large roll with a cardboard core and square perforations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Crop or not, I think this is outstanding

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

This is perfect the way it is.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Crop it, make it interesting

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

bobmarleysghost posted:

Crop it, make it interesting

I think if you want to crop it to make it interesting, the cable needs to be cloned out to give it a magical feeling. But as it is with the helicopter in, it has an epic cinematographic quality, like a Warren Miller film, which is gorgeous.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

I think if you want to crop it to make it interesting, the cable needs to be cloned out to give it a magical feeling. But as it is with the helicopter in, it has an epic cinematographic quality, like a Warren Miller film, which is gorgeous.

I don't think you need to clone out the cable to have it be surreal.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

bobmarleysghost posted:

I don't think you need to clone out the cable to have it be surreal.

this.

op should definitely leave the cable in if they do the crop imo

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

tk posted:

It would also look great with a crop. The bottom portion in itself is a really nice shot.

Vertical images are hard to present. I first saw it on a short display and really enjoyed scrolling down to discover the scene that the helicopter was involved in. By time I got there I couldn’t see the helicopter anymore. Works for me. Just figure out how to get everybody else to experience it the same way.

I’ve been thinking about this, it’s a fairly interesting thing about viewing photos on phones. Playing with the experience of scrolling down to reveal the photo, surprising the viewer that way. Obviously you can do this without relying on scrolling down via leading the eye with leading lines, contrast, etc - but that’s not as guaranteed and is a bit of a different experience, I feel. I wonder if there’s a reliable way to promote viewing photos that way. Instagram seems like the obvious choice since it’s basically “look at photos on smartphones: the app” but it fuckin crops vertical images so nevermind there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can do it horizontally on Instagram, split the image in half and put them in the same post. Most people do it to get fake bigger images but there might be a way to use it creatively.

Assuming you want to go right to left!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Surprisingly only around eight people at the arch this morning, most had smartphones, I was the only one with a tripod.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

some one dropped their gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Pretty Cool Name posted:

some one dropped their gun

Excuse me, I dropped my magnum condom I use for my magnum dong.