Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

Lizard Wizard posted:

don't worry, i load autosaves like a coward so your only death will be an unavoidable one

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshCutFries

plz don't save scum dwarf fortress. having to deal with horrible accidents is a big part of what makes it entertaining imo

Piso Mojado

FreshCutFries posted:

plz don't save scum dwarf fortress. having to deal with horrible accidents is a big part of what makes it entertaining imo

Heather Papps

hello friend

it's the day. you downloaded the file, and, as a fool, think that you can drag drop copy paste and just, you know, play the game.

you are a fool.

it is not so simple.

pride, shattered against the rock.

tomorrow, you say. i'll figure it tomorrow.

the weekend ends and you are still lost, a babe in the woods.

FreshCutFries

Heather Papps posted:

it's the day. you downloaded the file, and, as a fool, think that you can drag drop copy paste and just, you know, play the game.

you are a fool.

it is not so simple.

you still want to move to year 4? we can always open up for volunteers on year 3.

Piso Mojado

Heather Papps posted:

you are a fool.

it is not so simple.

what kind of ram does your computer have?

Heather Papps

hello friend

FreshCutFries posted:

you still want to move to year 4? we can always open up for volunteers on year 3.

naw i have it figured out, i just figured i'd narratarize the process so other folk who have no idea how the game works have an idea of what it's like when you are less experienced, and that figuring out both how to play, and the actual playing, are fun!

i am gonna do another short text post about figuring out savefile transfers, and then get to the actual gameplay posts. part of not being super familiar with the game is that it takes me longer to do stuff, even with dwarf therapist and associated applications.

Heather Papps

hello friend

like all problems in life, the savefile issue was simpler than it seemed. obviously i just drop the folder into the savefile, right? i've transfered savefiles between emulators when i was trying to find a good n64 back in the day, and like, i don't know. this should be simple.

so i do that.
doesn't work.

do some googling.
can't figure out whats wrong.

get a hunch.
look at how my savefile folders are organized.
look at how the imported save file is organized. it has one extra folder, before the actual folder that contains the folders and files i need.

i copy the folder i need, paste it into the savefile folder, and voila,

we are dwarf fortressing!

Heather Papps

hello friend

so my first move is to plan out the tavern. part of me wanted to put it as an outbuilding but well, this is my first real rodeo so carving it out of rock seems like it makes the most sense.

hallway, pukerooms/bathrooms, main room, office, store room.

okay so i unpaused, and i'm poking around with dwarf therapist to see if i can get someone mining out the tavern.

and then!

NEAT!

Heather Papps

hello friend

hi ho off to work we go!

Heather Papps

hello friend

:yosnice:

off from the dining hall i decided to carve out either a temple, or maybe, secondary bar, closer to beds.

oh no buddy

the yeti

memento disco

:black101:

guess I’m a stone worker now

death sext

Why doesn't my stupid family have heirloom weapon racks? Oh a necklace, wow thanks nana, guess I'll just keep my bardiches on the floor

Heather Papps

hello friend

this won't do

much better.

nut

im king poo poo of gently caress mountain and if you're interested in serving the colony u'll drop and gimme 20

Heather Papps

hello friend

Heather Papps

hello friend

gotta make some tables!

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
its that drat honey bee again!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Korean Boomhauer

Heather Papps posted:

this won't do

much better.

yesssss

FreshCutFries

Heather Papps posted:

off from the dining hall i decided to carve out either a temple, or maybe, secondary bar, closer to beds.

the vip area

FreshCutFries

i request a third even smaller bar

Hihohe

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I propose everyone get their own minibar

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

FreshCutFries posted:

i request a third even smaller bar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_9d3fgKUSw

Heather Papps

hello friend

my tavern needs tables, and i love bossing nut around

Dungeon Ecology

this thread is great, and im resisting the temptation to dust off the ol' dwarf therapist and strike the earth!

but, instead, i could be persuaded to be named after a dwarf in the next migration. you could shorten it if you like, or i could just be d.e.cology the underground plump helmet farmer

Nosfereefer

how many animals does the fortress have now?

Heather Papps

hello friend

Nosfereefer posted:

how many animals does the fortress have now?

no idea

Heather Papps

hello friend

but here is a whole pile of great news!@

BABIES!

also, someone made a masterpiece nut figurine, i guess because he's the captain of the guard or something?

Heather Papps

hello friend

Dungeon Ecology posted:

this thread is great, and im resisting the temptation to dust off the ol' dwarf therapist and strike the earth!

but, instead, i could be persuaded to be named after a dwarf in the next migration. you could shorten it if you like, or i could just be d.e.cology the underground plump helmet farmer

i haven't named any dwarfs after the folks who've asked because i am not sure if i just like, pick an un named dwarf, or wait for immigrants, or what the best way is.
there are babies now, so maybe it's new immigrants or new babies can be candidates for naming?

Nosfereefer

i say you name them based on crafting skills, military positions and special roles like doctors

more likely stuff happens w/ them

:iit:

Heather Papps

hello friend

Nosfereefer posted:

i say you name them based on crafting skills, military positions and special roles like doctors

more likely stuff happens w/ them

:iit:

i did look at all the animals, once, but then promptly learned to do like 5 new things and forgot how to do it.

how do i check on our animal pals?

Nosfereefer

you can switch tabs on the "[u]nit" screen, also good for checking over invaders

e: the interface is something

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 28, 2019

Heather Papps

hello friend

oh

Nosfereefer

lots of fine doggos!

Heather Papps

hello friend

it me

Heather Papps

hello friend

To Be Dwarfed:
Korean Boomhauer
"mojangles"
FreshCutFries
vanisher
GODSPEED JOHN GLENN
super mario batali
Dungeon Ecology

any requests? there is a surplus of dwarfs currently, otherwise imma just name cool dwarfs after posters

Nosfereefer

creator of ,

Heather Papps

hello friend

so the temple is a temple to industry, now, i guess?
threw some workshops in the space because i couldn't figure out how to get them to pick the poo poo up off the floor

Heather Papps

hello friend

lol ast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosfereefer

[d]+[b]+[d] let's you designate stuff for dumping

it will currently end up at a 1x1 tile i made near the workshops because i am a cheater tidy manager