Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Teeny tiny oil painting of a teeny tiny birb. Painting is smaller than my hand.

Also here's a little process gif because phones apparently can easily do this built in these days.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

silicone thrills posted:

Teeny tiny oil painting of a teeny tiny birb. Painting is smaller than my hand.

Also here's a little process gif because phones apparently can easily do this built in these days.

That's fantastic. I didn't know phones could make GIFs easily these days.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Oh hey yall Canson watercolor pads are buy one get one free

https://www.utrechtart.com/Canson-XL-Watercolor-Euro-Fold-Pad-MP-10173-001-i1019888.utrecht

edit: Looks like they're all backordered now. womp womp

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 10, 2019

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

lofi posted:

Hand mending, can draw some again! :)

Cool! I love the little design work + mazes/shapes in the shading. I'm a fan of doing that myself.

Finished the linework for another album cover, this time a gatefold so front/back horizontal landscape orientation. Color is almost done too, this one is 14" x 28" on bristol

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I painted the Evil Bong in gouache last night:

Fastidious Toes
Apr 10, 2009

so much blood....
I've had a cheap wood burner and had a wood panel laying around, so I thought I'd try it out. lovely phone picture

[img]20190904_225313[/img]

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sketch of an artdome piece I am working on.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

sigma 6 posted:

Sketch of an artdome piece I am working on.

Coolness! I dig the depth you have going on there.

Franchescanado posted:

I painted the Evil Bong in gouache last night:

I used gouache a bunch in art school way back when but haven't touched it for about 19 years. I like how you made it watercolor-y, I think I only used it in a fairly opaque sense.

I know I could just Google it, but what the gently caress is an Evil Bong? Sounds like a band name

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
It's a movie and maybe a series?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Fastidious Toes posted:

I've had a cheap wood burner and had a wood panel laying around, so I thought I'd try it out. lovely phone picture

[timg][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48759845323_aec01725e9_k.jpg[/timg]20190904_225313[/img]

:krad:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zoben posted:

I used gouache a bunch in art school way back when but haven't touched it for about 19 years. I like how you made it watercolor-y, I think I only used it in a fairly opaque sense.

I know I could just Google it, but what the gently caress is an Evil Bong? Sounds like a band name

I’ve been experimenting with it. It’s very versatile!

Evil Bong is a horror comedy movie series from Full Moon Pictures. They are very silly.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I've been trying to get emotion across in my drawings for years and I always feel like everything falls flat and im in a hella lovely mood doing my daily sketch and I think I finally got it.

Behold feeling frustrated and down (layoffs at work have me feeling very doomer)

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Nice! It's a really hard thing to get right, especially anything subtle.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

I've been trying to get emotion across in my drawings for years and I always feel like everything falls flat and im in a hella lovely mood doing my daily sketch and I think I finally got it.

Behold feeling frustrated and down (layoffs at work have me feeling very doomer)

That's not bad at all. Concentrate on shading. I use black and white charcoal on toned paper to push forms. Remember shadow defines form.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

sigma 6 posted:

That's not bad at all. Concentrate on shading. I use black and white charcoal on toned paper to push forms. Remember shadow defines form.

This was just a 20 min sketch. I've just been trying to do faster/better for quick stuff. I find if I get into the weeds with charcoal then im there for hours.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Fellow goon MacheteZombie gave me a good idea for a gouache painting. It was very difficult.

It's on 9"x12" watercolor paper.

Inspired by A Nightmare On Elm Street.

Fastidious Toes
Apr 10, 2009

so much blood....
20190913_000812 by pb2614z, on Flickr
Second pyrography piece I've done, this one with a slightly less cheap pen. I did order a nicer unit. I like this medium.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Is anyone else here into extinct/rare pigments? These just came in the mail. :chaostrump:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
How many cancers do you have now?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

dupersaurus posted:

How many cancers do you have now?

Real life, zero. Astrologically? Just my moon sign. :tipshat:

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Lil pen drawing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Mural WIP for my nephew. It's going to have lizards hanging from the trees and a few more details.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Handen posted:

Is anyone else here into extinct/rare pigments? These just came in the mail. :chaostrump:

My mum still has a bunch of her old paints from art school in the 60s

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Angrymog posted:

My mum still has a bunch of her old paints from art school in the 60s

Got any emerald greens, chrome yellows/oranges, manganese blues, or flake whites she’d wanna sell?

Edit: For real though. If she’s sitting on a lot of old oil paint and wants to make some cash, let’s talk.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 3, 2019

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Finished it.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I'm doing a watercolor, and I like to apply in layers, masking areas with frisket that don't get the next layer. I've used this technique before, and it's worked fine. This time, however, the frisket almost immediately removed the paint below it. That's never happened before, and I have no idea what caused it this time. The paint was well dry for more than a day. And the frisket didn't remove the paint as I took it off, but as I was applying it, so it was almost like it was dissolving the paint on contact. Does anyone know what's causing this and how I can prevent it?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Petr posted:

I'm doing a watercolor, and I like to apply in layers, masking areas with frisket that don't get the next layer. I've used this technique before, and it's worked fine. This time, however, the frisket almost immediately removed the paint below it. That's never happened before, and I have no idea what caused it this time. The paint was well dry for more than a day. And the frisket didn't remove the paint as I took it off, but as I was applying it, so it was almost like it was dissolving the paint on contact. Does anyone know what's causing this and how I can prevent it?

What kind of paper are you using?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Handen posted:

What kind of paper are you using?

Canson Montval, which is the same stuff I've been using for months. The paints are M. Graham, and the frisket is the orange Grumbacher stuff. None of these elements have changed between the stuff working and not working.

For reference, here's a pic of what happens. This isn't even after removing the frisket - it's still on there. This is what happens as soon as I apply it. My understanding is that frisket shouldn't act like this.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Wow, I've never seen anything like that. I swear frisket is a monkey paw, it must gently caress up fifty percent of the pics I use it on.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
This started as an Inktober sketch, but I turned it into a watercolor.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

x-posting from the daily thread is ok, right? If I have to choose, I will move my posting here tho as I do nothing digital. I could not post here before I read the entire thread, which I powered through over the weekend...

Spend the weekend in Minsk, Belarus. I am really getting into this urban sketching vibe and I like it. Watercolor is an amazing medium for this and the more I do it, the more relaxed my lines and strokes get. The pie, for example, was done in less than 10 minutes as my wife wanted to start eating it. The two castles were done during the Urban Sketchers Minsk meetup. This was my first time every drawing with others in an organised way, it was way more fun than I thought. It is like a social event for introverts!

Yes this all goes on instagram and drawing your food and then posting the drawing plus the subject is the most hipster thing I ever did, Instagramming with additional steps.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Can I multipost if this is from another day?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
My "OK, gently caress this, gently caress me, this is the best it'll get, I give up" print of the year:

I think I did OK with the carving, I just could not get this one to print well.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Handen posted:

Got any emerald greens, chrome yellows/oranges, manganese blues, or flake whites she’d wanna sell?

Edit: For real though. If she’s sitting on a lot of old oil paint and wants to make some cash, let’s talk.

I think she's water colours and acrylics, not oils.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Trabant posted:

My "OK, gently caress this, gently caress me, this is the best it'll get, I give up" print of the year:

Are you printing with a press, or by hand?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Was commissioned to make a big version of a little old sketch. This is the second thing I’ve made on clayboard this week — after a few years of not using it — and I’m remembering how nice it is (and all of the annoying frustrations)

11x14” ink on clayboard

The aforementioned other thing, for the Art Dome

Trabant posted:

Rad

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Angrymog posted:

Are you printing with a press, or by hand?

The printing itself was a combination of doing it by hand (Speedball baren, wooden spoon) and/or a copy press I restored earlier this year. The press actually worked great, but I think I tried too many different things with this fucker at once: new ink, new paper, press + hand. Should've run a proper design of experiments to figure out the best settings. I might revisit it some day, or just find someone local to re-teach me the printing part of the puzzle.

Thank you -- yours too!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That's a gorgeous restoration job!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thanks! I'm proud of that one, and frankly surprised at how well it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Marker and white paint on Bristol board

I think I need to bring the lower left bit of moon in a bit

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 27, 2019