Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/1199029764901756934

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

16% of American voters believe a literal crime is "appropriate".

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Whenever I see a political poll I just imagine a robo dialer calling 80 year olds desperate enough to talk to anyone answering automated questions. These are the only people I imagine actually answering these polls.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
for an election that was won on such slim margins, 10% of Trump voters who think he should be impeached isn't nothing

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

eviltastic posted:

Y’know, you got your law suit, your interview suit, your white collar criming suit, your international criming suit...

video of ukraine crime guys and rudy gewles talking about crimes

https://youtu.be/dC46RTD_ios?t=490

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
40 and 32% of independents really says it all

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Cool that we've already dug in so hard... and our news is so loathed that normal people can't even be informed by it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

oxsnard posted:

for an election that was won on such slim margins, 10% of Trump voters who think he should be impeached isn't nothing

contrast with the exact same margin the other direction on the Clinton voter side though

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

Cool that we've already dug in so hard... and our news is so loathed that normal people can't even be informed by it.

Normal people have never been informed.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

No Safe Word posted:

contrast with the exact same margin the other direction on the Clinton voter side though

From my perspective at least, "This man should be impeached" is a stronger indicator of an intent to vote against him than "this man should not be impeached" is of an intent to vote for him.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/LoopEmma/status/1199061855177756675

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Is "consideration" in this context mean they're figuring out IF to charge or WHAT to charge?

Also, Giuliani on TV this weekend blackmailing Trump tells me he will squeal the second he knows he can't squeeze himself out of this.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Strange Poon posted:

Is "consideration" in this context mean they're figuring out IF to charge or WHAT to charge?

Also, Giuliani on TV this weekend blackmailing Trump tells me he will squeal the second he knows he can't squeeze himself out of this.

They're subpoenas seeking evidence, you have to say what you're seeking evidence of, so those are probably the offenses specified on the face of the court orders.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
hi, these things don't leak unless someone wants to use it for political purposes. Could honestly be Trump side or the Dems

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

More details:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1199065295870210048

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/hsu_spencer/sta...ingawful.com%2F

:getin:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
We need to start a little rumor that they can all just resign to escape prosecution.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

so now what. obviously it goes to scotus but is it gonna get stayed and will they just say "lol" and rule in favor of him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so now what. obviously it goes to scotus but is it gonna get stayed and will they just say "lol" and rule in favor of him.

It would be breaking an absurd amount of precedent and turn the executive branch into king and his court.

I really struggle to imagine that Roberts would go that far

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They will just issue a stay and run out the clock, because it'll take until long after the impeachment trial for the SCOTUS to rule.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

They will just issue a stay and run out the clock, because it'll take until long after the impeachment trial for the SCOTUS to rule.

The default position without their testimony is that Trump is withholding it because it will incriminate him. His obstruction demonstrates a consciousness of guilt.

Thus they are proceeding without waiting for them.

If they do actually testify, it will be more fuel for the fire. The fire is plenty big already without them, though.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

The Glumslinger posted:

It would be breaking an absurd amount of precedent and turn the executive branch into king and his court.

I really struggle to imagine that Roberts would go that far

Friend, we struggled to imagine that Trump would ever be elected President, and that Republicans would be allowed to get away with all the poo poo they have, but here we are.

Throw conventional norms out the window. I'm not saying Roberts WILL rule that way. I'm just saying never say never.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

One poll with a terrible sample of landline-only respondents showed lower support for impeachment and all of a sudden everyone's loving pulling the fire alarm.

Also the numbers he references I believe are specifically the "independent" voters in that one poll not the overall approval/disapproval for impeachment.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Friend, we struggled to imagine that Trump would ever be elected President, and that Republicans would be allowed to get away with all the poo poo they have, but here we are.

Throw conventional norms out the window. I'm not saying Roberts WILL rule that way. I'm just saying never say never.

Yeah but also ruling to expand executive powers a year out from Trump being removed for a candidate (potentially) more left than any president in decades is probably not smart

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Invalid Validation posted:

Whenever I see a political poll I just imagine a robo dialer calling 80 year olds desperate enough to talk to anyone answering automated questions. These are the only people I imagine actually answering these polls.

You are aware that basically every poll that ever gets cited in an even somewhat-reputable publication will tell you the methodology right? That HuffPo/YouGov poll was conducted entirely via "web based interviews". I don't know poo poo about yougov, no idea how reliable it is, but it's stupid to dismiss every poll because you think they're all calling landlines in 2019.

Nate Silver's a jackass but you can look at these charts, which aggregate and weight a variety of polls to get a better sense of where opinion is trending. It seems pretty clear that if democrats move forward with what they have then the GOP senate will feel no pressure to remove him. It'd be different if there was strong evidence that public opinion was trending towards impeachment in swing states, but by all indications it is not.

Honestly Pelosi has bungled this poo poo since the Democrats took the house. Most people are numb to anything Trump does at this point, but why shouldn't they be? After the Mueller report came out, it was clear (and almost every democratic leader admitted) that Trump obstructed justice, but that somehow that didn't mean he should be impeached. Republicans will be able to get away with claiming that even if Trump did everything he was accused of he shouldn't be removed and part of the reason why is that is basically the same position Pelosi + House Dems adopted for years. Also, this "bribery" charge is loving stupid even if that's the technical crime that Trump committed -- it might have played well in a focus group but what went on between Trump and Zelensky doesn't seem like bribery to people who aren't federal prosecutors.

And of course the democrats are letting the GOP blast anti-impeachment ads filled with conspiracy BS in a ton of swing districts without any response, because why would anyone think it was worth spending money to convince disengaged or confused voters that the president is a criminal? Apparently the plan was that enough Americans would bother watching 60 hours of impeachment hearings and that would change their mind. As incoherent and insane as the defense of Trump is, at least Republicans are making their loving case to the public. The entire democratic response to Trump's egregious behavior has been totally halfassed since he took office and without a massive stroke of luck (e.g. Bolton has Trump on tape saying "I am going to extort political favors from Ukraine using American taxpayer dollars") there's a really good chance that this whole fiasco will only strengthen Trump's support.

I'm not trying to be all "nothing matters" but there's little hope of this ending well. The American people (or at least enough of them in districts and states that matter for the 2020 election) just don't care, and the democratic party seems content to not even bother making the case that they ought to care.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So someone catch me up, who is doing all this digging and issuing Rudy subpoenas? SDNY reports to Barr so that doesnt make sense?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

cr0y posted:

So someone catch me up, who is doing all this digging and issuing Rudy subpoenas? SDNY reports to Barr so that doesnt make sense?

the "sovereign district" nickname doesn't come from nothing, the entire trump presidency has been repeated proof that it's difficult to control the SDNY if they don't want to play ball with you

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Gnumonic posted:

You are aware that basically every poll that ever gets cited in an even somewhat-reputable publication will tell you the methodology right? That HuffPo/YouGov poll was conducted entirely via "web based interviews". I don't know poo poo about yougov, no idea how reliable it is, but it's stupid to dismiss every poll because you think they're all calling landlines in 2019.

Nate Silver's a jackass but you can look at these charts, which aggregate and weight a variety of polls to get a better sense of where opinion is trending. It seems pretty clear that if democrats move forward with what they have then the GOP senate will feel no pressure to remove him. It'd be different if there was strong evidence that public opinion was trending towards impeachment in swing states, but by all indications it is not.

Honestly Pelosi has bungled this poo poo since the Democrats took the house. Most people are numb to anything Trump does at this point, but why shouldn't they be? After the Mueller report came out, it was clear (and almost every democratic leader admitted) that Trump obstructed justice, but that somehow that didn't mean he should be impeached. Republicans will be able to get away with claiming that even if Trump did everything he was accused of he shouldn't be removed and part of the reason why is that is basically the same position Pelosi + House Dems adopted for years. Also, this "bribery" charge is loving stupid even if that's the technical crime that Trump committed -- it might have played well in a focus group but what went on between Trump and Zelensky doesn't seem like bribery to people who aren't federal prosecutors.

And of course the democrats are letting the GOP blast anti-impeachment ads filled with conspiracy BS in a ton of swing districts without any response, because why would anyone think it was worth spending money to convince disengaged or confused voters that the president is a criminal? Apparently the plan was that enough Americans would bother watching 60 hours of impeachment hearings and that would change their mind. As incoherent and insane as the defense of Trump is, at least Republicans are making their loving case to the public. The entire democratic response to Trump's egregious behavior has been totally halfassed since he took office and without a massive stroke of luck (e.g. Bolton has Trump on tape saying "I am going to extort political favors from Ukraine using American taxpayer dollars") there's a really good chance that this whole fiasco will only strengthen Trump's support.

I'm not trying to be all "nothing matters" but there's little hope of this ending well. The American people (or at least enough of them in districts and states that matter for the 2020 election) just don't care, and the democratic party seems content to not even bother making the case that they ought to care.

I posted this article in USPOL the other day. Web polling is still very much in its infancy

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/02/upshot/online-polls-analyzing-reliability.html

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

sure but roberts strikes me as a smart monster who won't blow the powers of goverments brains out for trumps case. another smarter monster down the road? possibly, but for some weird rear end in a top hat who is unpopular as gently caress, probably not. also if he does it now, a lefty/lib could be trump and the right would be in much deeper poo poo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sure but roberts strikes me as a smart monster who won't blow the powers of goverments brains out for trumps case. another smarter monster down the road? possibly, but for some weird rear end in a top hat who is unpopular as gently caress, probably not. also if he does it now, a lefty/lib could be trump and the right would be in much deeper poo poo.

Trump has a lot of "Actually, the president is an absolute monarch" cases in the courts and while the appeals courts feel obligated to let the president have his say before giving rulings that translate to "LOL! Are you loving stupid?" the supreme court doesn't seem very interested in taking them up. These are cases that would be 7-2 or 6-3 decisions since only the most grotesquely incompetent and partisan of partisan hacks would agree with Trump's reasoning.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have very little faith that anyone in politics in 2019 is anything but.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Random Stranger posted:

Trump has a lot of "Actually, the president is an absolute monarch" cases in the courts and while the appeals courts feel obligated to let the president have his say before giving rulings that translate to "LOL! Are you loving stupid?" the supreme court doesn't seem very interested in taking them up. These are cases that would be 7-2 or 6-3 decisions since only the most grotesquely incompetent and partisan of partisan hacks would agree with Trump's reasoning.

I'm hoping their fear of a Democrat president wielding king power scares them away from this line of reasoning but I don't hold-out a lot of faith in Roberts to do the right thing.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

ewiley posted:

I'm hoping their fear of a Democrat president wielding king power scares them away from this line of reasoning but I don't hold-out a lot of faith in Roberts to do the right thing.

Roberts is a partisan but he isn't a moron, same with Thomas. I'm not worried about it personally. The conservative side of the court doesn't have to answer to primary challengers and has spent most of their time trying to tamp down on executive powers because they would very much like any progressive agendas to die in congress rather than be possible via executive order.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Shockingly, John Bolton is still an rear end in a top hat:

Ruling Will Not Lead Bolton to Testify Soon, Lawyer Says

quote:

John R. Bolton, the former national security adviser to President Trump who resisted efforts to pressure Ukraine for help against domestic political rivals, dashed any expectation on Tuesday that he would testify soon in the House impeachment investigation in response to a court ruling involving a onetime colleague.

Charles J. Cooper, a lawyer who represents Mr. Bolton, said that a court decision on Monday ordering another former White House official to appear before Congress under subpoena did not apply to Mr. Bolton because of the nature of his job. Mr. Cooper said Mr. Bolton would therefore wait for another judge to rule in a separate case that could take weeks more to litigate.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Deteriorata posted:

Shockingly, John Bolton is still an rear end in a top hat:

Ruling Will Not Lead Bolton to Testify Soon, Lawyer Says

this is actually great. Much easier to not tie themselves in knots over whether to impeach now or later

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

oxsnard posted:

this is actually great. Much easier to not tie themselves in knots over whether to impeach now or later

They can still subpoena him in the actual trial, too

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

In case anyone wants to hear what impeachment expert Michael Gerhardt thinks the rest of the process is going to look like, he was on Amicus the other day talking through what the process will look like in the Senate. There's also a transcript provided at the link if you don't want to listen.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

It's really cool that these guys get to just shop around for a court ruling they like. Jesus christ.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

cr0y posted:

It's really cool that these guys get to just shop around for a court ruling they like. Jesus christ.

I don't think I'll ever understand the Byzantine heirarchy of the US court system(s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I don't think I'll ever understand the Byzantine heirarchy of the US court system(s)

Any court decision of specific import is necessarily just a matter of slow walking it to the explicitly political institution of the supreme court, which by now is managed by explicitly political entity. Simple! If you're obstructionist, they can help make it take a long long time!