Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

TheBalor posted:

I feel like it was better when there was a chapo-only thread, because the vast majority of podcast discussion here is Chapo or Chapo adjacent, and that's where all the really weird/boring stuff that goes on for pages and drowns out everything else happens.

Also, I've listened to all of Mike Duncan, but History of Byzantium is not nearly as gripping as History of Rome. Can anyone recommend good history podcasts, from the sea of them that spawned in Duncan and Carlin's wake?

I'd also love some fiction recommendations, as I finished the Magnus Archives, but Tanis, Bright Sessions, AM archives, et. all are pretty much dogshit. Bright Archives particularly bad with its villain character named "Damian" who talks like a bully from a made for TV movie.

It's not strictly a history podcast but I will recommend Last Podcast on the Left until the day I'm six feet under. It's mostly "creepy" poo poo--as in, creepy but they make fun of it so it's more funny than scary. Stuff like cults, aliens, serial killers, etc. History comes up every so often. For example, they did a series on Mormonism recently, and they spent an episode talking about life in Victorian Whitechapel as an intro to their series on Jack the Ripper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
These are all great recommendations, going to subscribe to a bunch of these

How about a Chinese history podcast for someone who can't stand Laszlo Montgomery

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Jeep posted:

I'll never stop laughing at the not-felix-in-a-trashcan pic

There's no way it's not actually Felix. If anyone has dissociative personality disorder it's him.

golden bubble posted:

If you are willing to tolerate a very slow podcast, the British History Podcast really goes into historical sources and historical culture. Although it's even more slow than the History of England.

I'll echo this, although he occasionally gets a little too "revisionist-y" sometimes for my taste. For example, his narrative of the sub-Roman/early Medieval period in Britain seems to have been, "Well, the Romans were bastards who stamped out the culture of the Britons, so therefore the collapse of the Empire wasn't that bad for Britain and the Saxons weren't that brutal." That first part's true; that second part? Not so much.

That said, he does a good job of listening to feedback and course-correcting. See his first couple episodes on Æthelred Unræd, where he initially sounded like he was suggesting that Æthelred wasn't so bad, got feedback, then said, "Whoa wait a second, not what I'm saying. Æthelred was poo poo, it just wasn't ENTIRELY his fault."

e: \/\/\/yeah, History of China is much better than Montgomery's\/\/\/

Majorian has issued a correction as of 22:41 on Nov 25, 2019

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Clipperton posted:

These are all great recommendations, going to subscribe to a bunch of these

How about a Chinese history podcast for someone who can't stand Laszlo Montgomery

The History of China podcast covers older Chinese history, and isn't written by someone who's views on China crystalized in the 80s. This is different from Laszlo's China History podcast. Alternatively, go full dynasty warriors and listen to the Romance of the Three Kingdoms podcast.

Majorian posted:

There's no way it's not actually Felix. If anyone has dissociative personality disorder it's him.

I'll echo this, although he occasionally gets a little too "revisionist-y" sometimes. For example, his narrative of the sub-Roman/early Medieval period in Britain seems to have been, "Well, the Romans were bastards who stamped out the culture of the Britons, so therefore the collapse of the Empire wasn't that bad for Britain and the Saxons weren't that brutal." That first part's true; that second part? Not so much.

He covers the sources in enough depth that it's easy to tell when he's stretching. But I'll definitely agree there. The rest of the former western Roman empire still had cities and urban life after the end the empire. But not Britain. That's apocalyptic by any measure.

golden bubble has issued a correction as of 22:42 on Nov 25, 2019

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

cool dance moves posted:

It's not strictly a history podcast but I will recommend Last Podcast on the Left until the day I'm six feet under. It's mostly "creepy" poo poo--as in, creepy but they make fun of it so it's more funny than scary. Stuff like cults, aliens, serial killers, etc. History comes up every so often. For example, they did a series on Mormonism recently, and they spent an episode talking about life in Victorian Whitechapel as an intro to their series on Jack the Ripper

semi-recent episode highlights are the Casey Anthony series which is downright some of the funniest poo poo about an absurd and horrific case I've ever come across, and the Richard Kuklinski one which is really fun if you dig the same sort of visceral serial killer poo poo the lpotl people are all in on

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

golden bubble posted:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms podcast.

Hadn't heard of this, sounds awesome - thanks!

e: and apparently they do a water margin podcast as well :hellyeah:

Clipperton has issued a correction as of 23:15 on Nov 25, 2019

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

golden bubble posted:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms podcast.

since I'm a brainless oaf who reads gargantuan books and have read the Romance, I'd like to jog my memory and get back into it, if only to bring it back to the front of my head

now I wonder if there's a podcast that's about the commentaries on the Spring and Autumn Annals :thunk:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

If you want a serial weird fiction podcast check out Archive 81. The first season is a one of the better examples of a podcast about a loosely connected series of weird stories. Season two gets really weird and does a modern take on something like Lovecraft's Dreamlands. Season three is by far the best and probably best described as late capitalist urban fantasy. It's uneven but fun, and rewarding to stick with. After the Magnus Archives, it's probably the best horror/weird fiction podcast out there in my opinion.

Majorian posted:

e: oh, and for fictional poo poo, if you haven't heard it yet, season 1 of Limetown is awesome. Season 2, not so much, and I think they're making a TV show of it now which looks like it will probably suck. But season 1's good.

The Limetown TV show, which is free on Facebook, was a pretty close adaptation of the podcast, but you see some more of Lia Haddock's life outside the radio broadcast. In some ways it felt like a reaction to the podcasts reception. It recognizes some of the flaws in the original podcast too in a way. The show reveals that Lia is pretty hosed up about ignoring personal boundaries. Also, that the FBI is following her investigation closely and other relatives of Limetown victims are publicly telling her to stop. It's alright overall, but not a must watch.

Trabandiumium posted:

Inward Empire's good, it's about america though

this is some good poo poo. the first few episodes covering new england settlements and colonial wars are a bit rough, but once it gets into 19th century history it's gold

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
usually trueanon is pretty good but the groyper interview guest they had is really, really bad at this, kind of ruins what could have been a good topic

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
King Falls AM is morning zoo crew meets coast to coast AM call in show set in a town where the supernatural and sci-fi is real. It is the better welcome to nightvale.

We're Alive was a campy but enjoyable zombie based podcast.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
is there a welcome to night vale but good?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Dr. Killjoy posted:

is there a welcome to night vale but good?

E1

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
https://twitter.com/llw902/status/1199088686643777537?s=21

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I liked well enough limetown up until the end where where the weird murder lady wins and gives a speech that boils down to "trying to change the world is dumb actually"

of course I listened to it after Magnus Archives and that didn't do it any favors

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Post your best hogs in honor of the republic
https://twitter.com/sansculotides/status/1199100477410955265

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

AnEdgelord posted:

I liked well enough limetown up until the end where where the weird murder lady wins and gives a speech that boils down to "trying to change the world is dumb actually"

of course I listened to it after Magnus Archives and that didn't do it any favors

It's really quite frustrating that so many of the horror/mystery stories are so very bad. The dialogue is stilted, the delivery is poor, and the plots are thin. Even Magnus Archives, which is by far the best I've heard, hits some serious doldrums after the second big story arc finished and the novelty of the world wore thin.

The really frustrating one to me was The Story Must Be Told. I love Last Podcast on the Left, and the writing on TSMBT is genuinely skillful, but I feel like they go for way too much infantile gross-out stuff that gets repetitive and dull. I don't care how well you describe whatever disgusting thing is happening, if I know that every single story is just going to be "Oh and then she EATS the poop, then vomits and eats that too!" then there's really no enjoyment for me.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

what if you cummed out of your butthole instead of your dick (where applicable)

this post was made to get the gross pigballs off the page earlier without being a forum narc

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Peace, Equality and Brötherhood

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The white vault was pretty good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

the popularity of The Last Podcast on the Left will never stop being baffling to me. Every time I've listened to an episode I've turned it off within like 15 minutes because it's just three dudes laughing at their own jokes

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Gripweed posted:

the popularity of The Last Podcast on the Left will never stop being baffling to me. Every time I've listened to an episode I've turned it off within like 15 minutes because it's just three dudes laughing at their own jokes

This is every podcast

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Gripweed posted:

I have stockholm syndrome from listening to them for years for some indescribable reason. Their bits arent that funny and go in way to long but they cover some interesting stuff and at least acknowledge their sources unlike some other pods but I would not recomend them to anyone.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they suck compared to trillbillies.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Terminal autist posted:

I have stockholm syndrome from listening to them for years for some indescribable reason. Their bits arent that funny and go in way to long but they cover some interesting stuff and at least acknowledge their sources unlike some other pods but I would not recomend them to anyone.

I'd drop them if there was another podcast that does a decent job of covering conspiracy theories and paranormal poo poo

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I mean there are plenty, the Saucer Life does UFO poo poo from a historical perspective, Conspirinormal does a grab bag of topics and sometimes has guests on Coast to Coast style and all while maintaining a usually balanced and multifaceted approach, Where did the Road Go and Strange Familiars if you want the really bizarre paranormal stuff

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

they suck compared to trillbillies.

seriously can't vet or praise Trillbillies enough, they own

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I mean there are plenty, the Saucer Life does UFO poo poo from a historical perspective, Conspirinormal does a grab bag of topics and sometimes has guests on Coast to Coast style and all while maintaining a usually balanced and multifaceted approach, Where did the Road Go and Strange Familiars if you want the really bizarre paranormal stuff

Well I didn't know about them :colbert:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

love UFOs, how about some irl MIB podcasts, MIB try to silence UFO witnesses, via intimidation, shotgun to the head, etc.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the LPOTL style of pretending to believe every theory instead of just trying to own them is fun but the serial killer poo poo doesnt appeal to me at all. the dulce base episodes are great

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Gripweed posted:

I think it's just a big divide in what people find funny, because I've found they provoke very polarizing reactions. Every one of my friends I've recommended Chapo Trap House and LPOTL to have hated them, even when their politics and interests line up, because they cite that they'd like a more clean and rehearsed listen. Same people love Night Vale and History of Rome.

Myself, I quite enjoy the riffing style for long car rides and whatnot. If I'm listening to Mike Duncan I feel like I have to focus on him pretty closely to pick up all he's saying, but LPOTL in particular is great when you just want to giggle about "Do NOT gently caress the cat!" every few minutes.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The best conspiracy spooky poo poo podcast is called downloading the huge torrent of C2C AM episodes and listening to the master

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm listening to this how did this get played and lmao they get brutally owned for being like let's bring our native American friend on to talk about native American poo poo specifically

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Gripweed posted:

The bits are funny imo but also I have a dumb brain full of doodoo

I mostly like them because they're not serious about the material they cover beyond trying to be informative about Lemuria or some poo poo. So for instance, I feel that My Favorite Murder fetishizes (for lack of a better word) the crimes they cover while LPOTL openly makes fun of the murderers.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

cool dance moves posted:

The bits are funny imo but also I have a dumb brain full of doodoo

I mostly like them because they're not serious about the material they cover beyond trying to be informative about Lemuria or some poo poo. So for instance, I feel that My Favorite Murder fetishizes (for lack of a better word) the crimes they cover while LPOTL openly makes fun of the murderers.

MFM is like fuckin gossip about movie stars, Lpotl is Henry yelling THIS FUCKIN PIECE OF poo poo for an hour

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm listening to this how did this get played and lmao they get brutally owned for being like let's bring our native American friend on to talk about native American poo poo specifically

Checking this out now. Been a long time since I heard silences this leaden. Great stuff.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Prince Myshkin posted:

Checking this out now. Been a long time since I heard silences this leaden. Great stuff.

It's a good discussion and they handle it as well as you can but also lmao you can hear wiger poo poo his pants the minute dude says "this isn't a bit"

Also genuinely better than anything they could have said about that game

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Matt Christman was on the podcast Historic.ly, not much new there exactly if you're a podcast addict but some of it was interesting. Also a real bummer. The only other episode I've listened to was about Chile and it was good.
https://historicly.substack.com

Also Brace's observation on Trueanon about right-wing people being into ancient wisdom and it being just banal truisms made me laugh. He's right, it's mostly things that have lost most of their relevancy because it was written by and for a class of people and world that disappeared centuries ago.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's a good discussion and they handle it as well as you can but also lmao you can hear wiger poo poo his pants the minute dude says "this isn't a bit"

Also genuinely better than anything they could have said about that game

I have no idea how you get to the point where this even happens. Obviously the answer is "no Native person was consulted" or more probably "no non-white person was consulted," but Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Prince Myshkin posted:

I have no idea how you get to the point where this even happens. Obviously the answer is "no Native person was consulted" or more probably "no non-white person was consulted," but Jesus.

The episode or Custer's Revenge

Because the first one is answered by the podcast,a d the second is "it was the 70s"