Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Proud Christian Mom posted:

guys im not sure if youre aware but youve been able to get away with things for quite awhile

Not quite everyone yet but points for these guys trying.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your...n-it-contracts/

quote:

A retired Army colonel pleaded guilty in federal court last week to conspiracy to defraud the U.S. government through a scheme that involved cash bribes to rig more than $20 million in Pentagon contracts in his favor.

Retired Col. Joseph D. Young, 64, is the latest of four men caught paying bribes in order to illegally obtain information technology contracts at Fort Gordon, Georgia, according to federal court filings.

The other three men pleaded guilty this summer.

Between 2008 and 2014, Young and a colleague payed the spouse of Army Col. Anthony R. Williams, 59, more than $1.2 million for a “no-show” job at their company. In return, Williams used his active-duty officer status to help award contracts to their IT and cybersecurity firms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Forget the jacket can we talk about sniper Jesus

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

So Taliban won the culture war I guess

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That Works posted:

Not quite everyone yet but points for these guys trying.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your...n-it-contracts/

Was the crime not being a general?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Was the crime not being a general?

I guess...

Gotta be the right kind of noble. Landed gentry thinking they're Lords or some poo poo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fister Roboto posted:

Donald Trump did not pet the dog. Any doubt that he's not human should be swept away by now.

Going back a bit but if I was president I'd make that dog my vice-president. I'm sure she's at least 35 in dog years.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I have to wonder if him gushing about the dog is because he was never allowed to have one as a child, which somehow manifested into hatred for them as an adult, and this is the first time he has ever interacted with one in person.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I thought he was just doing his normal military related gushing? He sounded like this talking about the f35 being invisible and poo poo

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Arven posted:

I have to wonder if him gushing about the dog is because he was never allowed to have one as a child, which somehow manifested into hatred for them as an adult, and this is the first time he has ever interacted with one in person.

It's 100% more likely that "dog" tested well with focus groups.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Don Dongington posted:

It's 100% more likely that "dog" tested well with focus groups.

Bingo

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
That's not her name-o! <:mad:>

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Why is Fox News talking about Michelle Obama saving the Democrats in 2020?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

colachute posted:

Why is Fox News talking about Michelle Obama saving the Democrats in 2020?
Because they need to return their past boogeyman. What with her wearing shorts on vacation, and telling kids to watch what they eat.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Any kind of distraction.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I read this and felt it was worth sharing a POC perspective on Mayor Pete. The article is the aptly titled "Pete Buttigieg is a lying motherfucker" and apparently it's because the silver spoon having motherfucker thinks he knows why POCs don't value education. He has no loving clue. My poo poo wasn't as bad as the authors, but my parents and my friends parents were putting each other's addresses down to ensure we all landed ok at decent public schools. poo poo wasnt that great but it beat out going to the shitbag school that had a rep as a rough school. Where I'd have probably ended up mixed up w gang poo poo or ended up in juvie, or would have had to fight motherfuckers every week instead of once a semester or once a year whenever a bully wanted to press me a little too hard.

The fact this article even had to be written, and that it had material to pull from AT ALL is an affront to anyone who has had to suffer to get through this poo poo called life. Let alone minorities like myself who have to deal w the repercussion of the techie white boy's stupid self serving bullshit. That's my take. That's how much reading this poo poo moved me. Not looking forward to this guy ever having power beyond dog catcher b.

gently caress Mayor Pete forever and ever (don't actually.)

https://www.theroot.com/pete-buttigieg-is-a-lying-mf-1840038708?utm_medium=socialflow&utm_source=theroot_facebook

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 26, 2019

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

And this for the ones I know never click poo poo, not even if encouraged by a "passionate" post. gently caress Mayor Pete, forever and ever.

Michael Harriot of The Root posted:

Pete Buttigieg Is a Lying MF

Seven thousand three hundred twenty-two dollars.
I hid it in a white Piggly Wiggly bag in the back of the dishwasher. Every single time I returned to that tiny apartment, I opened up that Navajo-white Kenmore dishwasher and made sure it was there. It was not a gift. It was not a reward. It wasn’t even mine.

And it still wasn’t enough.

I am from what most people would call “the hood.” The bad section of town. You know—where black people live. During the crack revolution of the late ’80s, to get to school every day, I would give a friendly nod as I walked past the early-rising dope boys. I meandered through the projects and—if it had recently rained—I waited for someone to help me put a 10-foot long wooden plank across the ditch that separated the black part of town from the bucolic neighborhood where the only high school in town was located. If no one was there, or if a prankster had hidden the makeshift bridge, then I had to either leap across or walk the long way around, adding an extra 15 minutes to my morning walk. Our neighborhood had no bus, so either you walked that balance beam behind the projects, took the 30-minute stroll or you said: “gently caress it.”

I never said gently caress it.

But if I did, it wouldn’t have been because of a lack of role models. If I had chosen to keep my mama’s lights on instead of making that daily trek, my decision wouldn’t have been based on a tropological dearth of “motivation” or communal ambivalence. As I grow older, I realize that I was not gifted, talented or even diligent.

I’m just a lucky motherfucker.

Presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg is a lucky motherfucker, too.

He attended one of the best private schools in the country that was quite literally on the campus of one of the best colleges in the country, Notre Dame University, where his father worked as a professor for 29 years. His mother taught at an even better, more elite school. And if you ask how he got into Harvard or became a Rhodes Scholar, Mayor Pete would probably insist that it had nothing to do with whiteness. He would likely tell you that he valued education and had great role models, both of which are probably true. There is no question that he is intelligent, hard-working and well-educated.

But he didn’t have to jump a ditch.
So, when a clip surfaced of Buttigieg explaining why negro kids fail at school so often, his answer made perfect sense.

https://twitter.com/RzstProgramming/status/1198623649990946817?s=20

“Kids need to see evidence that education is going to work for them,” Buttigieg explained whitely, when he was running for mayor in 2011. You’re motivated because you believe that at the end of your education, there is a reward; there’s a stable life; there’s a job. And there are a lot of kids—especially [in] the lower-income, minority neighborhoods, who literally just haven’t seen it work. There isn’t someone who they know personally who testifies to the value of education.”

I want to be clear: Pete Buttigieg is a lying motherfucker.

This is not a misunderstanding. This is not a misstatement. Pete Buttigieg went to the best educational institutions America has to offer and he—more than anyone on the goddamned planet—knows that everything he just said is a baldfaced lie.

Majority-minority schools receive $23 billion less in funding than majority-white schools, according to a recent study by EdBuild. Black students in Indiana, the state where Buttigieg serves as mayor, and across the country, are disciplined more harshly than white students. But even though Buttigieg has never attended a school with more than 10 percent black students, he thinks he knows what’s stopping black kids from achieving their educational dreams.

Apparently, it’s not the fact that the unemployment rate for black college graduates is twice as high as the unemployment rate for white grads. Black college graduates are paid 80 cents for every dollar a white person with the same education earns. White people leave college with lower debt and higher earnings. White kids get more resources, more advanced classes and have access to more technology. But Pete says it could all be solved with a vision-board.

Mayor Pete’s bullshittery is not just wrong, it is proof.
It proves men like him are more willing to perpetuate the fantastic narrative of negro neighborhoods needing more role models and briefcase-carriers than make the people in power stare into the sun and see the blinding light of racism. Get-along moderates would rather make poo poo up out of whole cloth than wade into the waters of reality. Pete Buttigieg doesn’t want to change anything. He just wants to be something.

This is not just a lie of omission, it is a dangerous precedent. This is why institutional inequality persists. Not because of white hoods and racial slurs. It is because this insidious double-talk erases the problem by camouflaging it. Because it is painted as a problem of black lethargy and not white apathy. Pete Buttigieg is standing over a dying man, holding the oxygen machine in his hand and telling everyone:
“Nah, he doesn’t need CPR. He’s just holding his breath.”

Negligent homicide is still homicide.

Occasionally someone would invariably fall in the ditch. It wasn’t because they didn’t see someone cross successfully, it was because the banks of that ditch was slippery and muddy when it rained. To this day, no one has ever built a bridge over that ditch. But over the years, so many people have walked that same path, that the banks eventually wore down and became crossable.

No one ever gave a gently caress.

But motherfuckers never stopped jumping.

In the summer of 1992, for weeks, those same D-boys I walked past every day collected all of the ones (and a few five-dollar bills) from guys on the block and handed it to me when I left for college. It was seven thousand three hundred twenty-two dollars.

I didn’t have a driver’s license and my mother is legally blind, so they hired someone to drive me to college. None of my college friends ever knew that I had a hidden treasure in my dishwasher but a few of them noticed that it seemed like I always had a wad of cash. When I arrived to campus in a chauffeured, 1965 drop-top Cadillac (white, with hydraulics and gold specks), a couple even said:
“drat, you’re lucky.”

They were right.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Viva Miriya posted:

And this for the ones I know never click poo poo, not even if encouraged by a "passionate" post. gently caress Mayor Pete, forever and ever.

:drat:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Viva, thank you for making me feel even better about spending nine hours banging doors for Bernie today.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Viva Miriya posted:

Another thanks for bringing attention to the contents. I'm sick and tired spaced out reading your first post.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Godholio posted:

Any kind of distraction.

It works pretty great though. If it doesn't get mentioned on FN for a (disconcertingly) short period of time, they automatically assume everything has returned to normal. What it is isn't just your typical goldfish level of memory, it's a HUGE segment of the population that actively seeks out the type of lies it likes.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Viva, thank you for making me feel even better about spending nine hours banging doors for Bernie today.

You're welcome. Glad you did the work. Now tell them to stop calling my rear end, I already said they'd get the vote. Goddamn they motivated.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Dum Cumpster posted:

Another thanks for bringing attention to the contents. I'm sick and tired spaced out reading your first post.

Gotchu. Glad I did it then.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

quote:

It proves men like him are more willing to perpetuate the fantastic narrative of negro neighborhoods needing more role models and briefcase-carriers than make the people in power stare into the sun and see the blinding light of racism. Get-along moderates would rather make poo poo up out of whole cloth than wade into the waters of reality. Pete Buttigieg doesn’t want to change anything. He just wants to be something.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm sending it on to all my family and friends.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/ColsBols/status/1199080312388509697?s=19

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You can also watch this.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

They mention a low cost browser alternative. Schools should buy a bunch of bottom tier androids for students and tell TI to gently caress off. Licensing for the tools to lock them down to just a calculator is dirt cheap for education.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Viva Miriya posted:

Jesus Christ, how loving sheltered and isolated can you be? Detroit Public Schools had loving mushrooms and black mold growing in the classrooms but no, it's the lack of role models that's causing so many problems.

What a motherfucker.

fake edit: Dan Rather did a deep dive a few years back on the horrifying state of DPS, which always struck a chord with me since I graduated from a school in the Detroit suburbs the same year it was released. Very much worth a look at the immense number of barriers kids going to these schools face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xypiZ-hqdY

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 26, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Viva Miriya posted:

You're welcome. Glad you did the work. Now tell them to stop calling my rear end, I already said they'd get the vote. Goddamn they motivated.

If it's (802) 391-3114 go ahead and block the number, they're fake bernie scammers that have been blowing me up too.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

If it's (802) 391-3114 go ahead and block the number, they're fake bernie scammers that have been blowing me up too.

Not them but def blocking that number. Thanks fam.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Jesus Christ, how loving sheltered and isolated can you be? Detroit Public Schools had loving mushrooms and black mold growing in the classrooms but no, it's the lack of role models that's causing so many problems.

What a motherfucker.

fake edit: Dan Rather did a deep dive a few years back on the horrifying state of DPS, which always struck a chord with me since I graduated from a school in the Detroit suburbs the same year it was released. Very much worth a look at the immense number of barriers kids going to these schools face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xypiZ-hqdY

the barriers are by design. I know that isn't the hottest of takes but it bears repeating

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm curious how that is legal

And if its legal how have I not been using it on Trump supporters?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm curious how that is legal

And if its legal how have I not been using it on Trump supporters?

Political robocalls are legal and exempt from the do not call registry. Thanks, FCC! :sigh:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

What the gently caress does a high school kid need with a TI-83? I got one (well the 84) for engineering school and still was pretty much a convenience not a necessity 95% of the time.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I mean more of the political scamming rather than the robocalling.

There is a grift here and we can all take advantage of it to do good.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Jarmak posted:

What the gently caress does a high school kid need with a TI-83? I got one (well the 84) for engineering school and still was pretty much a convenience not a necessity 95% of the time.

The same kind of stuff you used it for in engineering school tbh. When i was in hs we used it for plotting graphs in that section of math and poo poo. It was kinda useful for physics class too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jarmak posted:

You can take up to calculus 2 in some high schools as well as calculus based physics.

The real reason of course is that the TI-83s are allowed on many national exams...

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

You can take up to calculus 2 in some high schools as well as calculus based physics.

Now I just feel old

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Jarmak posted:

Now I just feel old

uh this was a thing at my school back in 1993

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My graphing calculator was used entirely for playing janky rear end video games and trying to make graphs that look like boobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Smiling Jack posted:

uh this was a thing at my school back in 1993

I topped out at pre-calc when I was in school in 04 :shrug:

I was a really lovely student the first time around so maybe I just don't remember.