Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Can I just say I live in a rural area and I know that young people are taking to shooting. I don't see that it's dying out at all. Also there's been this weird movement that makes shooting fashionable to middle class women in particular, and I see them out from time to time. By fashionable I mean fashion, the shooting comes with these mean looking high boots and coats that these middle class women are absolutely owning. It's weird but there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Oh no the chief rabbi is making unprecedented remarks. It's 2016.

loving Tory prick even reused a sentence or two. He was mad about the IHRA fiasco that started all this because he has always supported Israel's right to defend itself from the threat of Palestinians existing.

As I watched the Tory press office do the 11 o clock news from a motorway stop, this was the breaking news story. The alternates were "what is rent control and can it work?" and "Tory manifesto launch: we take you through five eye catching policies". A child could deconstruct this horseshit. I want to watch when reality breaks them. I want the dismissals livestreamed.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Not sure anyone's going to start paying attention to anti-semitism claims now if they haven't been for the last 3 years.
[edit]
Which is probably the point. This is a 'remember what we told you to do' warning shot

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i've done a bit of clay pigeon shooting, it was pretty fun.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Apparently Michael Heseltine also doesn't want Corbyn to be PM and this is worthy of 10 minutes of him and Nick Robinson agreeing about how terrible that would be on R4. It's so loving naked now.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

"Apparently Hitler was very personable, are you going to tell me his politics don't stop him being a perfectly nice man?"

-- things not to say to your dad when he's praising Ken Clarke.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sounds like a loving great way to do half seven in the morning if you ask me.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Well I didn't sleep, today's going to be fun

Insomnia tips please, self medicating with booze works but is extremely unsustainable!

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

ThomasPaine posted:

Insomnia tips please, self medicating with booze works but is extremely unsustainable!

go to bed early, keep a regular schedule, exercise, no alcohol, more exercise, no laptops or phones in the bedroom, even more exercise, melatonin or diphenhydramine if it's critical

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Personally I'm hoping for the overthrow of capitalism, seems like the only practical solution imo.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I take Nytol occasionally (the over the counter stuff, not the herbal variant you can get off the shelf) and it works pretty good.

If it's a problem that you have most nights, speak to your gp though.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

coffeetable posted:

no laptops or phones in the bedroom,

But I can't afford a RealDoll :(

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Spangly A posted:

Oh no the chief rabbi is making unprecedented remarks. It's 2016.

loving Tory prick even reused a sentence or two. He was mad about the IHRA fiasco that started all this because he has always supported Israel's right to defend itself from the threat of Palestinians existing.

Yeah, more than the remarks, I hate the fact that these'll simply be broadcast by the media without any context or background. Messengers, not journalists.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

ThomasPaine posted:

tbh at this stage it hardly matters, everyone's already made up their mind on the issue. While it's annoying that it keeps being brought up they did, thankfully, blow their load far too early on this one.

Don't worry, next week they have the Queen lined up to make an unprecedented statement on this for anyone still unsure. Then in the final week of campaigning, the Ghost of Adolf Hitler is more than happy to publicly ask Jeremy to calm it down a bit because he's really looking forward to see what Boris can do with a majority

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I take Nytol occasionally (the over the counter stuff, not the herbal variant you can get off the shelf) and it works pretty good.

If it's a problem that you have most nights, speak to your gp though.

It's very strange tbh, once I'm asleep I'm a super deep sleeper and can doze through an earthquake no problem, but I don't seem to get tired naturally till 4/5am and even then actually nodding off can take me hours. There have been too many days where I've not actually fallen asleep till the sun's up and as a result slept in till 3/4pm and just wasted my day. Thankfully being an academic I don't usually have anyone breathing down my neck if I'm not working at 9am in a particular office, but if I have work to do this means I end up working till 10/11pm sometimes, and that just contributes to the whole problem.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

ThomasPaine posted:

Thankfully being an academic I don't usually have anyone breathing down my neck if I'm not working at 9am in a particular office,

found your problem. enforce your own schedule

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, more than the remarks, I hate the fact that these'll simply be broadcast by the media without any context or background. Messengers, not journalists.

It's fine I'm sure our neutral state broadcaster will be impartial and not signal boost this opinion piece from an unelected religious figure.

Oh. No actually it's the top headline story, completely blotting out the release of Labour's Race and Faith Manifesto.

Anyway, another shocking letter published in a major newspaper this morning https://www.ft.com/content/d29b4cbe-0fa4-11ea-a225-db2f231cfeae

quote:

The Labour party received a boost on Tuesday when 163 economists signed a public letter offering broad support for its proposals for higher public investment to kick start growth and raise productivity.

The letter published in the Financial Times lamented Britain’s poor economic performance of the past decade, called for “a serious injection of public investment” and said Britain would benefit from greater state involvement in national economic management.

This is ... bad ... for Jeremy Corbyn?

RockyB fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 26, 2019

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I can’t imagine anyone who is allowed to eat with metal cutlery will think labour is somehow more racist than the tories

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

xtothez posted:

Don't worry, next week they have the Queen lined up to make an unprecedented statement on this for anyone still unsure. Then in the final week of campaigning, the Ghost of Adolf Hitler is more than happy to publicly ask Jeremy to calm it down a bit because he's really looking forward to see what Boris can do with a majority

Well, the Queen was willing to do this until Boris lied to her. She's also still narked about the Tories making her miss her horsies.

Brilliant Tory strategies bringing results as usual!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

ThomasPaine posted:

Sleep "hygiene" stuff like a comfortable bed/temperature/light level as well as a routine for bed time are what really do it for me but such habits take some time to develop

Having your computer/phone shift colour spectrum appropriately with time and making sure you get plenty of water are important too

If I can't sleep then I get up rather than laying in bed being ever more pissed off I can't sleep- but I can still rest up somewhat by simply reading or watching something quietly and then I try sleeping again later

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

coffeetable posted:

no laptops or phones in the bedroom
This, to be honest. I don't do it every night (though I should) but when I do I find my nights are a little easier. It also encourages me to get out of bed earlier, to make breakfast and not just stay in bed all morning online.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

Having your computer/phone shift colour spectrum appropriately with time and making sure you get plenty of water are important too

Yes, I've found a shifting colour spectrum to be very helpful. Using a phone or laptop in its normal mode seems to make me more awake, which is of course bad at 11 pm. And drinking water is super awesome in a great many ways :)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

coffeetable posted:

found your problem. enforce your own schedule

It's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario tbh

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Imagine having more than a single room you rent to put electronic devices in.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Imagine having more than a single room you rent

Yarp.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Pro-est click

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1199225021119582208

Gotta say the social media game has been on fire the last couple of weeks.

E: Strong Every Citizens Final Duty energy

RockyB fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 26, 2019

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
My emergency insomnia solution is a brisk half-hour walk.

This only works if you're getting past the halfway mark of your normal sleep hours, and it *will* take you an hour to get to sleep afterwards, but it seems to be a reset button that will at least get you enough rest to be at least functional the next day.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

RockyB posted:

Pro-est click

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1199225021119582208

Gotta say the social media game has been on fire the last couple of weeks.

Just came here to link this, because this was actually funny to watch?

Like, sure, it's a political advert and poo poo, but there's a decent sense of humour that's gone into this.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

ThomasPaine posted:

Magnesium and Vitamin D tablets can do the trick, also maybe essential oils on the bed like lavendar. Having some sort of routine helps in terms of doing x, y, z in a particular order then going to bed. I'm also aware having low lighting for most of the evening then going to bed in the dark is probably a bit close, so I try going from bright light to pitch darkness just before bed.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

tithin posted:

Just came here to link this, because this was actually funny to watch?

Like, sure, it's a political advert and poo poo, but there's a decent sense of humour that's gone into this.

Compare it with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cre0in5n-1E

We live in a marvellous time, beyond maps and territories where we live in the raw unbridled sense data, and the feeling.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 26, 2019

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Make sure you go outside and get a lot of natural light (even in the winter when it's overcast/raining). I remember watching a sleep programme and this was one of the main takeaways that I thought many people wouldn't know.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

Get old. I used to do all-nighters far more than was healthy & now I struggle to stay awake past 1am.

(This isn't helpful, sorry. If it helps I'm very tired because I stayed up too late)

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Nov 26, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ThomasPaine posted:

Do something you haven't done before, in a place you've never been. Nothing tires me out like new information, and no place is full of new information quite like an unfamiliar setting and an unfamiliar activity.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1199243646324953088
It might be happening guys.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/zacksabrejr/status/1199245654733680641?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lol +5 swing what, did they put their youth turnout back to a sane level or something?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

ThomasPaine posted:

No coffee after midday, no tea after 5pm, set alarms and do not allow yourself to sleep after them, start at maybe 10am but quickly reduce to 6am or even 5am. This will mean going to bed by 9pm, and watching any post-watershed TV on catch-up.

If you continually drift into being awake at night it's probably because you enjoy something about the night, eg solitude, the sense of not having to do - not being able to do - anything involving people outside, etc. Get up early enough that you can have those things in the early morning.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

Same. I've lost the ability to sleep, pretty much. I can actually go to sleep pretty easily but I wake up every half hour or so unless I've self medicated with something. I usually make it three days without something to make me sleep before I give up because I simply can't bear it anymore.

It's ruining every aspect of my life. And yes I do the flux and try to keep regular hours as much as possible and take magnesium and vitamin d and tryptophan and take baths and use a SAD lamp in the morning and exercise every day I'm not sick (which over the last couple months is every other week if I'm lucky) and watch my diet carefully and take no caffeine after midday.

I was going to go canvass today and I probably still will because I'm a stubborn cuss but I'm not going to be good company

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Lol +5 swing what, did they put their youth turnout back to a sane level or something?

1 more person now said they’d vote labour in their weighted poll of 20 mates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I don't envy people with sleeping problems. I've had my nights of having trouble sleeping when I was a teenager, but mostly I just fall asleep real well nowadays.

I seem to fall asleep like a log if I do the opposite of what people say you should do, that is if I have my phone with me in bed. I'll watch a youtube video (like machining, abom79 or ToT, or even physics stuff like pbs spacetime) and even if I find the material interesting my eyelids just keeps getting heavier and within 20 minutes I am sleeping.

Then my fiance wakes me up as she picks the cats of me and throws them out of the room. The worst thing though is waking up 5:30 having to go piss and the alarm is set to 5:50.