Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

OwlFancier posted:

Lol +5 swing what, did they put their youth turnout back to a sane level or something?

https://twitter.com/SarahParsons17/status/1199244515518898176

I despair for an electorate that votes in its own interest :(

Edit: Jeremy if you promise us £9.5 trillion in freebies we'll give you a +340% surge in the polls! :dance:

Braggart fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Nov 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Lol +5 swing what, did they put their youth turnout back to a sane level or something?
Maybe we're seeing the effect of wheeling out all the rabbis to say that Jeremy Corbyn is an antisemite in a country where the population is ~5% more antisemitic than the Labour Party :ohdear:

Barry Foster posted:

Same. I've lost the ability to sleep, pretty much. I can actually go to sleep pretty easily but I wake up every half hour or so unless I've self medicated with something. I usually make it three days without something to make me sleep before I give up because I simply can't bear it anymore.

It's ruining every aspect of my life. And yes I do the flux and try to keep regular hours as much as possible and take magnesium and vitamin d and tryptophan and take baths and use a SAD lamp in the morning and exercise every day I'm not sick (which over the last couple months is every other week if I'm lucky) and watch my diet carefully and take no caffeine after midday.

I was going to go canvass today and I probably still will because I'm a stubborn cuss but I'm not going to be good company
I think maybe we as a society need to just admit that some people don't sleep well and that's a state of being.

The whole idea that you can One Weird Trick yourself into good sleep seems like it's for people with casual sleep issues.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

It's very strange tbh, once I'm asleep I'm a super deep sleeper and can doze through an earthquake no problem, but I don't seem to get tired naturally till 4/5am and even then actually nodding off can take me hours.
I have this exact problem, and taking melatonin helped me hugely. Take 3mg an hour or so before when you want to go to sleep and it should help you just feel more tired earlier. Combine with all the other sleep hygiene suggestions and you should be golden.

Melatonin is miles better than diphenhydramine, even after a big sleep the latter makes you super groggy the next day while melatonin just encourages normal sleep.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

TACD posted:

I have this exact problem, and taking melatonin helped me hugely. Take 3mg an hour or so before when you want to go to sleep and it should help you just feel more tired earlier. Combine with all the other sleep hygiene suggestions and you should be golden.

Melatonin is miles better than diphenhydramine, even after a big sleep the latter makes you super groggy the next day while melatonin just encourages normal sleep.

Where do you get melatonin? I used it a few years back and it was pretty good but I can't seem to find it anywhere now. I assumed it had been reclassified as a controlled drug or something.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Azza Bamboo posted:

Can I just say I live in a rural area and I know that young people are taking to shooting. I don't see that it's dying out at all. Also there's been this weird movement that makes shooting fashionable to middle class women in particular, and I see them out from time to time. By fashionable I mean fashion, the shooting comes with these mean looking high boots and coats that these middle class women are absolutely owning. It's weird but there you go.

You've reminded me of an old tv comedy from 2006 "Suburban Shootout" where the men of the village are just bumbling innocents and the women are in a couple of gangs with guns concealed about their persons.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You've reminded me of an old tv comedy from 2006 "Suburban Shootout" where the men of the village are just bumbling innocents and the women are in a couple of gangs with guns concealed about their persons.

Looks like Desperate Housewives but more fun :D

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I actually sleep really well, the problem is I sleep really well from about 10 in the morning to about 6 in the evening and trying to consistently sleep at any other time is a delicate balancing act.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Braggart posted:

Looks like Desperate Housewives but more fun :D

It's on youtube if you want to give it a watch.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

My bedtime routine is that once I turn off my computer I crawl into bed, and the first thing I do is either turn on the radio or else put on a podcast (audiobooks work so well that I stopped even trying to listen to them) with a timer to turn off after 30 minutes. Obviously the volume has to be fairly quiet, it's more just background noise. It means I can lie in bed with my eyes shut and my brain doesn't race around thinking about dumb poo poo that distracts. Then it's just a case of listening to whatever dumb poo poo and 9 times out of 10 I've fallen asleep before the timer runs out. But your mileage may vary.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

RockyB posted:

It's fine I'm sure our neutral state broadcaster will be impartial and not signal boost this opinion piece from an unelected religious figure.

To be fair to the beep, they do the same when the Arch Bishop has said something against the ruling party.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's on youtube if you want to give it a watch.

Cheers, maybe I will at some point :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If they really did their research they'd have like an 80 year old granny who shoots one handed at arms length while everyone else develops a variety of different claw grips depending on their age bracket.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sleep chat:

I've been through periods of having very bad sleep issues and still get the occasional night when I can't sleep.

Contrary to popular advice, I sleep better at night if I get an afternoon (or after work when I was a corporate slavey) nap. Now most days I try to get an afternoon nap of 1 sleep cycle duration (which for me now is around 1.75 hrs) and normally go to bed around 130am and get preferably 4 sleep cycles in. I definitely notice if I miss my afternoon nap eg one day last week I couldn't and felt quite unwell by mid evening. Forcing myself to have an early night never works, because I'll sleep for an hour, then wake up and be awake for 3 or more hours.

I've also found that if I eat a low calorie diet (under 1000 cals) then after a few days I don't need the afternoon sleep so often.

The interesting thing is I recall as a kid coming home from school and crashing out for an hour or so and then reading in bed until 130am so in my opinion that's the way I'm made!

During my life I've tried this 'getting up early when I don't have to' thing - longest was 6 months of getting up around 530-6am to be in work for 8am (long London commutes) and instead of getting used to it, I just felt more and more unwell from sleep deprivation.

Now I am mistress of my own day most of the time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Where do you get melatonin? I used it a few years back and it was pretty good but I can't seem to find it anywhere now. I assumed it had been reclassified as a controlled drug or something.
Funnily enough, given the Psychoactive Substances Act, Puritan's Pride seems to sell it through a bunch of UK herbalists. Also 5-HTP.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

To be honest, I just get it from eBay. I don’t know why it’s so hard to find either; I think Holland & Barrett sell it but I really don’t want to support their pseudoscience scam stores.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Guavanaut posted:

I think maybe we as a society need to just admit that some people don't sleep well and that's a state of being.

The whole idea that you can One Weird Trick yourself into good sleep seems like it's for people with casual sleep issues.

I mean that'd be nice for society or whatever but it's not a state of being I'm going to be willing or even able to tolerate forever, frankly

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

I mean that'd be nice for society or whatever but it's not a state of being I'm going to be willing or even able to tolerate forever, frankly

Not being funny but do you drink a lot? Cos that really fucks with your ability to maintain sleep.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

There are other things you could try (if you were the OP on this topic):
polyphasic sleeping - just sleep when you're tired whenever that might be - obviously doesn't work too well if you have to go to work.
biphasic sleeping - fair bit of research to say this was the NORMAL pattern back in the olden days - people would sleep for a while, then get up for a couple of hours, read, go round friends, whatever, then go back to bed for the rest of their sleep.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Not being funny but do you drink a lot? Cos that really fucks with your ability to maintain sleep.

I barely drink at all anymore. I spent 18-20 drunk constantly which probably did gently caress up my brain, and in my twenties I'd do the standard get hosed up on the weekend thing. Now it's maybe once or twice a month. When I do drink I sleep like an absolute baby though, even hungover I feel super refreshed compared to everyday life

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

There are other things you could try (if you were the OP on this topic):
polyphasic sleeping - just sleep when you're tired whenever that might be - obviously doesn't work too well if you have to go to work.
biphasic sleeping - fair bit of research to say this was the NORMAL pattern back in the olden days - people would sleep for a while, then get up for a couple of hours, read, go round friends, whatever, then go back to bed for the rest of their sleep.

Like I said, I can often get to sleep pretty easily, it's just that I can't maintain sleep, the frequency of my awakenings is such that I never manage a solid sleep biphasic of otherwise.

Sorry if it seems like I'm going off on one or off at you, guys, I know you're trying to help and it is appreciated. I've looked into everything there is about sleep. Every medical professional I've seen has said sleep is my problem but shrug their shoulders about what to do about it. I do have ongoing mental health issues which probably are an issue, although I've got it more locked down now than I have in awhile I still know they're there. But I've lost trust in the nhs's ability to help with any of my mental and physical complaints (hypochondria almost certainly being among them lol)

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 26, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This is actually enforced if I've gone without for too long. I sleep for maybe a couple of hours then wake up bolt upright, then I crash again a few hours later. Dunno why but I can't sleep right through.

Pain in the arse though cos it means I need like 12-16 hours to get a decent catchup.

Barry Foster posted:

I barely drink at all anymore. I spent 18-20 drunk constantly which probably did gently caress up my brain, and in my twenties I'd do the standard get hosed up on the weekend thing. Now it's maybe once or twice a month. When I do drink I sleep like an absolute baby though, even hungover I feel super refreshed compared to everyday life

Ah well it's good you stopped at least. Do you wake up feeling any particular way? Like gasping or with a headache or something? Could be there's something in particular stopping you. Maybe sleep apnea or something.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Everybody should read the book Why We Sleep, get it for Christmas

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe we're seeing the effect of wheeling out all the rabbis to say that Jeremy Corbyn is an antisemite in a country where the population is ~5% more antisemitic than the Labour Party :ohdear:

Yeah especially given certain elements of the BXP will split to Labour rather than the Tories.

E: This is bad for Corbyn but good for election results?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

tbf it's not something that any of us are going to have to tolerate forever

But like presumably if it was viewed as just the way some people are then we'd be less reluctant to help those people out with hypnotics or flexitime or whatever, rather than suggesting that it's insufficient hot baths and walks or whatever.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The era before wage labor.

I've had some luck with the 28 hour day to shift sleep schedules when transitioning off of night shifts, but you don't want to do it for more than 1.5 of those cycles to get where you need to be.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Everybody should read the book Why We Sleep, get it for Christmas
Does it offer any practical alternatives?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

My bedtime routine is that once I turn off my computer I crawl into bed, and the first thing I do is either turn on the radio or else put on a podcast (audiobooks work so well that I stopped even trying to listen to them) with a timer to turn off after 30 minutes. Obviously the volume has to be fairly quiet, it's more just background noise. It means I can lie in bed with my eyes shut and my brain doesn't race around thinking about dumb poo poo that distracts. Then it's just a case of listening to whatever dumb poo poo and 9 times out of 10 I've fallen asleep before the timer runs out. But your mileage may vary.

I'm the same but with TV (my TV automatically dims when the lights are off so it's not distractingly bright) with BBC 4 or a random sports channel on. The trick is to find something interesting enough to keep your brain quiet but not so interesting you force yourself to stay awake to see the end of it - baseball is fantastic for this IME.

Google's podcast app does now have a sleep feature which I might give a go. Thinking Revolutions might be perfect for that, dude's got a very restful voice.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Its kinda heartening that the top rated Guardian comments are all calling this out as the blatantly politically co-ordinated attack that it is.

Also lol at him saying that this isn't about proceedures (which are quantifiable) but about hearts and leadership (which can't be quantified).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I must admit I think moving out of my nice flat with my partner to a tiny studio in London hasn't helped my sleep because now I just don't know what to do with myself on the evenings so I'm just bouncing off the walls

Pistol_Pete posted:

Its kinda heartening that the top rated Guardian comments are all calling this out as the blatantly politically co-ordinated attack that it is.

Also lol at him saying that this isn't about proceedures (which are quantifiable) but about hearts and leadership (which can't be quantified).

I also noticed this. Even Twitter (outside of the usual suspects) seems to have mostly seen through it. Hell, even LBC Facebook comments are inexplicably mostly pro-Corbyn. LBC!

Don't want to jinx it but I'm increasingly feeling like we're on the cusp of something massive here.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 26, 2019

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Ah well it's good you stopped at least. Do you wake up feeling any particular way? Like gasping or with a headache or something? Could be there's something in particular stopping you. Maybe sleep apnea or something.

Not that I can recall, no. I don't meet any of the criteria for apnea, which is I think another reason the nhs shrugs at me. I do have a chronically blocked up nose and sinuses and permanent postnasal drip, but an ENT looked up there, said 'no polyps' and told me I'm fine and sent me on my way

Edit anyway I'm going to stop making GBS threads up this thread, it really is impotent whinging because I already know there's no life changing advice out there that will change everything. Genuine thanks, though.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 26, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I must admit I think moving out of my nice flat with my partner to a tiny studio in London hasn't helped my sleep because now I just don't know what to do with myself on the evenings so I'm just bouncing off the walls

This explains the constant masturbation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

Not that I can recall, no. I don't meet any of the criteria for apnea, which is I think another reason the nhs shrugs at me. I do have a chronically blocked up nose and sinuses and permanent postnasal drip, but an ENT looked up there, said 'no polyps' and told me I'm fine and sent me on my way

I mean I'm not a noseknower but that sounds bad to me... Whether I had eldritch abominations living in my nose or not I'd probably find that hosed up my sleep and also I'd want it sorting...

I haven't found the NHS helpful for sleep either though. Always just "have you tried going to bed earlier" like yes fucker I've tried, I'm not a goddamn child.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

This explains the constant masturbation.

I get bored ok!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

Watch wrestling.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm the same but with TV (my TV automatically dims when the lights are off so it's not distractingly bright) with BBC 4 or a random sports channel on. The trick is to find something interesting enough to keep your brain quiet but not so interesting you force yourself to stay awake to see the end of it - baseball is fantastic for this IME.

Google's podcast app does now have a sleep feature which I might give a go. Thinking Revolutions might be perfect for that, dude's got a very restful voice.

Yes. Revolutions is good, History of Philosophy is good, History of Byzantium.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am trying to temper my hope about all this, but I do feel a lot of sparks.

Maybe people are sick of the last ten years of things being ignored/made worse and that policies are coming through with great support plus the whole 'incumbent blame' thing kicking in as well, maybe people really are ready for a change.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wonderful image of a wee angry communist squatting in a hovel in london furiously wanking because he can't think of anything else to do.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I feel very exposed rn

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I feel very exposed rn

Stop wanking and put your pants back on then.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Wonderful image of a wee angry communist squatting in a hovel in london furiously wanking because he can't think of anything else to do.
Ah I see you've read the story behind the writing of Capital.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
Tory candidate featured in party manifesto suspended as a midwife

quote:

Natalie Neale, who is taking on the shadow health secretary, Jon Ashworth, in Leicester South, was barred from practising as a registered midwife for 18 months in August under an interim order by the Nursing and Midwifery Council while it investigates an unspecified allegation against her.

Under the order, she must immediately inform any organisation employing her as nurse that she is subject to a condition of practice order.

Separately, Neale lost a claim for wrongful dismissal earlier this year after she walked out of her role as a clinical advisor for the private health provider Care UK in 2017, when it was running services for West Midlands ambulance service.

The tribunal judge in the case, Christopher Gaskell, dismissed her evidence as both “inconsistent” and “disingenuous” and found she “cynically failed to cooperate with the investigation” into a grievance she made about her duties.

A related claim for disability discrimination, relating to a back injury sustained by Neale during training for a black belt in Thai boxing, was dismissed as “misconceived and totally without merit”.

The disclosures raise questions over how Neale was selected to fight the Leicester South seat, and why she featured so prominently in the manifesto. A picture of her, wearing an NHS lanyard, appears on page 11 in a section outlining the party’s dubious claim it will deliver 50,000 more nurses. It later emerged that at least 19,000 nurses in this target will be made up by retaining existing staff.

The tribunal in Neale’s employment cases noted she was absent from work for 169 days after the boxing injury in July 2015. She told her employer she was “bed-bound” but was on holiday when her managers tried to contact her. She later explained it was a holiday with facilities for disabled people.

She also took a further 27 days off work after rupturing a hamstring in 2016. As she recovered she partially worked from home. Soon after returning to work she filed a grievance claiming her duties amounted to the more senior role of clinical quality improvement leader.

The tribunal heard that in May 2017 she emailed her manager to say she had walked out and would not be returning. She complained that she could not work in a “call-centre environment” because of her disability, despite being able to perform the role at home.

Judge Gaskell said it was “plain nonsense” for Neale to suggest that her treatment was related to her disability. He said Care UK had “good reason” to require her to work in its offices and had in place specialist equipment and reasonable adjustment to allow her to do this.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
A good wank is supposed to be good for sleep but it just make me hyper. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given this thread's predilections I assume that while you're probably not doing it wrong, it's probably more invigorating than soporific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

This Rabbi thing seems to be on only one front page in Scotland- the Times. The Telegraph are reporting some internal Labour coup to dump Corbyn or w/e and the Graun and the i have child poverty surging under Tories and the WASPI pension pledge, respectively. Didn’t see much else of interest.

English goons seeing much the same?