Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Muscular Typist posted:

Not a huge fan of the new icons. Maybe it's nostalgia but I feel like all they did was remove that polished feeling that Samwise was known for. Then again maybe he's gone now, I can't figure out if he retired like Metzen did.

I remember this art pack on the unity asset store...

No for real, this is a pointless change and most of the new ones are worse.

What the heck did they do to the "build structure" logo? The three horizontal planks was iconic, literally its an icon, and now its some generic perspective hammer shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Muscular Typist posted:

Not a huge fan of the new icons. Maybe it's nostalgia but I feel like all they did was remove that polished feeling that Samwise was known for. Then again maybe he's gone now, I can't figure out if he retired like Metzen did.

Some of these new icons are flat out worse and harder to read, what the gently caress.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I like Reincarnation and Death Pact, the rest are either pointless or hideous.

E:

Sheesh, what happened to that poor tiger??

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The new raise dead is a terra cotta soldier because ??????

Gold mine is total rear end.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

This seems like a ridiculously open ended and impossible to objectively answer question but what is the most difficult feat of micromanagement in ladder play? I mean sometimes you'll be watching a replay and see something ridiculous and you'll be like wow I could never do that in 100 years but what is the epitome of that

For me it's always been zeppelin micro, watching someone perfectly rotate their army through a zeppelin to slowly take down enemy units is just so frustrating and impressive to watch at the same time.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Yeah zeppelin stunts. There's more than just dodging projectiles too, for example if you have good timing (and high latency) you can cast staff of preservation/sanctuary on your zep just before your hero is picked up and it'll activate with your hero inside, sending you home instantly without burning a TP.
Standing in the way of units trying to move and blocking them for any period of time is difficult to do on purpose but easy to do by accident on your own units for some reason.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

they got rid of the Captain America helmet, there goes my enthusiasm

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

This seems like a ridiculously open ended and impossible to objectively answer question but what is the most difficult feat of micromanagement in ladder play? I mean sometimes you'll be watching a replay and see something ridiculous and you'll be like wow I could never do that in 100 years but what is the epitome of that
Zeppelin stunts + staff swapping, but I think they nerfed staff swapping rest in peace.

Muscular Typist posted:

All of the zoom+blur ones should be reverted to old. What the heck kind of strategy is that.

Same with the "generic 3d render that looks vaguely like the old one but worse."

Some of the other ones are an upgrade or sidegrade, but most of them look like a cheap knockoff and lost visual clarity & distinctiveness compared to the originals.

It looks like the left is the original and the right should be the remaster for most. Stabby dagger is a positive change, lumber is too if you want lumber to have a blue glow for some reason. Without the blue glow it'd be an upgrade.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 22, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zaphod42 posted:

Chinese media can't show skeletons? I don't know if that's a real law but it fits Blizzard flavour at the moment.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
wording is something like
undermining of national religious policy, advocating cults or superstitions

So yeah no ghosts unless you bribe the right person.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

:lol: what were they thinking with that wisp avatar

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Chinese media can't show skeletons? I don't know if that's a real law but it fits Blizzard flavour at the moment.

There are other skulls which undermines that theory. Most of the other things with faces have been drastically redesigned to more closely resemble the new models, and the new skeleton model has that helmet, so that’s probably it.

With the image so small and the helmet like that it’s not immediately obvious that’s what it’s meant to be. It’s like consistency for the sake of consistency without consideration for why certain designs might work for some things but not others.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

McTimmy posted:

They're trying to be different from the actual important lore heroes. Mountain King no longer looks identical to Muradin. Paladin no longer looks like Uther. Hell, even all the generic one-off Paladins now have their own models.

lol why? really glad they fixed the issue war3 having iconic characters that everyone loves, by replacing them with app store game thumbnails that are impossible to tell apart

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

:roflolmao:
I forgot the original had a fertility idol. Put it back you cowards.

And more importantly, goddamn that human build icon losing the backdrop is going to drive me batty.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

FoolyCharged posted:

And more importantly, goddamn that human build icon losing the backdrop is going to drive me batty.

Now it's just the repair icon. Might be a mistake?

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

ROFLburger posted:

:lol: what were they thinking with that wisp avatar

It really does look god awful. The coolest thing about wisps was that they were mysterious, faceless, mute kindred spirits. With that said, the texture style on the new wisp heads is closer to the "Painted" look I was hoping for in Reforged. I think "Unity asset pack" is a great way to describe these realistic models.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I was really excited for this when they announced it, but goddamn it is honestly one of the most ugly and charmless games I've ever seen. :sigh: Maybe in a few years they'll patch in WC3 having a visual identity.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

It's not finished yet relax. Heroes of the storm looked worse when it first came to be as well.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

dr.acula posted:

It's not finished yet relax. Heroes of the storm looked worse when it first came to be as well.

That's a lot of polish to fit into a month

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
I suspect late in December they're going to release the game with unfinished-looking remastered units, a functional classic graphics setting, and lots of bugs. Then a few months into 2020 they'll rework some unit models, fix some bugs, and start selling skins.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Can't believe they removed captain america mask. A true tragedy.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

personally, while i agree the new graphics are not good, i don't give a poo poo because now i can play those classic hd=0 graphics but with an actual playerbase

they do need to fix the hosed up client and backend tho

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

FoolyCharged posted:

:roflolmao:
I forgot the original had a fertility idol. Put it back you cowards.

What's the fertility idol icon?? Like, I see it, the preg belly+tits, but what is that for in-game?? :confused:

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 23, 2019

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Tubgoat posted:

What's the fertility idol icon?? Like, I see it, the preg belly+tits, but what is that for in-game?? :confused:

I think it's a niche campaign icon, the only thing I can find that uses it is an item that increases a hero's intelligence by 1 in the ROC orc campaign called the "ancient figurine."

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Zaphod42 posted:

If it's the one I'm looking at, that's a zombie wearing armor. Like the ones in the Wrath cinematic.

Like I don't understand the complaint in general, most of them are literally just the same but slightly fancier.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

As said, zepplin poo poo by far. Otoh, if you're new and looking for an easy one to learn, dreadlord sleep + ghoul move command surround looks slick and is effective.

I missed my screen cap, but level 3 water elementals with bloodlust are comically huge. Like bigger than a town hall.

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

As said, zepplin poo poo by far. Otoh, if you're new and looking for an easy one to learn, dreadlord sleep + ghoul move command surround looks slick and is effective.

Along the same lines, I vaguely remember Grubby/Tillerman/one of those guys pulling off a hero surround with 4(?) footmen and it being a big deal. My lovely carpal tunnel ridden hands can barely pull off the sleep+ghoul combo.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I missed my screen cap, but level 3 water elementals with bloodlust are comically huge. Like bigger than a town hall.

Lmao, screen please!

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

That's a lot of polish to fit into a month

I doubt this game is coming out this year I forgot to mention that part.

e; in an official capacity. We'll be in early access / beta mode for another 5 or 6 months and then the game will officially release. At least I remember HoTS doing something similar.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Icon art peaked in 2002. :sigh: These are bad. Why would you throw away things like readable silhouettes in favor of some lovely additional shading?

I like that they are making more unique models for things that used the same models in the original but I don't like that we lose iconic designs for the units we actually see in multiplayer. As said above, new paladin is kinda trash.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Why are like 90% of the new icons duller than the originals? Really don't understand that at all. The old icons are in general considerably brighter and more readable as a result.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I’m the photorealistic hand holding the cultist sacrifice dagger

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.
Yeah okay they handed off development to some mobile game studio and then they in turn made some mobile game graphics, but that's entirely missing the point of Reforged: Arranged Team and Random Team matchmaking is combined now. Which means you can bring a friend and search for 4v4, effectively making it a 2v4 game. Dynamic gametype with excellent results so far.

Edit: Remember to play with classic graphics not just because they're nicer to look at, but also because female death knights are invisible (and unclickable) which adds to the challenge. Tower crews have dwarven infrareds though don't worry!

Fiskiggy fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 25, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Zaphod42 posted:

Direct comparisons:

IDK what's up with the portraits, the actual 3D animated ones look mostly fine but the static 2D portraits used for players or hero icons look awful, like somebody did some weird photoshop pass on them and made them all look airbrushed

Blizz artistic memes aside, these are so well made that I wonder if they were actually made for a new RTS/warcraft game that got canned and they're just doing the blizz thing where they try to salvage assets by shoehorning them into something. Cuz those honestly don't look like they were made with a remaster of a 2002 game anywhere in mind

(E posted this in the wrong thread, my bad)

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 25, 2019

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Blizz artistic memes aside, these are so well made that I wonder if they were actually made for a new RTS/warcraft game that got canned and they're just doing the blizz thing where they try to salvage assets by shoehorning them into something. Cuz those honestly don't look like they were made with a remaster of a 2002 game anywhere in mind

(E posted this in the wrong thread, my bad)

A third person dynasty warriors hack n slash in Warcraft universe would own

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Fiskiggy posted:

Yeah okay they handed off development to some mobile game studio and then they in turn made some mobile game graphics, but that's entirely missing the point of Reforged: Arranged Team and Random Team matchmaking is combined now. Which means you can bring a friend and search for 4v4, effectively making it a 2v4 game. Dynamic gametype with excellent results so far.

Edit: Remember to play with classic graphics not just because they're nicer to look at, but also because female death knights are invisible (and unclickable) which adds to the challenge. Tower crews have dwarven infrareds though don't worry!

here's the full game...it's one of those "suspenseful ones". in case you didn't read iggy's post: iggy and blinn take a 2v4 and the other team has invisible death knights

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I can't wait until this wonderful, finished product is released.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Are the DKs supposed to be invisible and noncorporeal?? :stare:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Are the DKs supposed to be invisible and noncorporeal?? :stare:

It's a bug. From my understanding they added new female death knight models with the new graphics, but didnt account for the old graphics not having those. So the game cant find a model to render and thus interact with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Wait, so you got TFT "classic" players B.netting ladder vs Reforged players?