Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I think your opinion of nurses is inversely proportional to how much time you've spent under their power, and proportional with your socioeconomic status and racial privilege.

So yeah, just like cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

one of my fav parts of the netflix flat earth documentary was a guy who used flight patterns to determine the earth was flat, and had apparently never heard flight-tracking sites/apps like skyscanner

You haven't lived until you've watched a guy hold a level flat on a long flight and film the bubble to show that the earth isn't curved.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Monika4Smash/status/1199177894695555073

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1199167890370510848?s=19

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/1199190343356469249?s=21

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/SJSchauer/status/1199195375900348416

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is one red, wet man

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

zoux posted:

This is one red, wet man

He's had over 40 pizzas in the last 30 days.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Woozie66 posted:

He's had over 40 pizzas in the last 30 days.

Isn't the rule "don't get high off your own supply"?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Eat 10k pizzas and get a free franchise.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/pblest/status/1198972183491620864?s=19

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

CommonShore posted:

HR people on the other hand are cadaverous ghouls going in because there's no reason to get into HR aside from a desire to lick boots and to enforce arbitrary rules.

gently caress you too buddy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
There is no way Zucc would give a poo poo if he ran anybody over, nan, wonan or chide

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Maybe it's just American nurses that are lovely then

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It was a post by an American that everyone is talking about. Do you also point out that many countries have universal healthcare everytime an American posts a go fund me so they can get a life saving procedure their insurance won't cover?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It might be one that varies by country, and requirements of certain professions cause things to shift around. One of the replies to the original tweet makes a very valid observation that in Australia the main future profession for female school bullies is hairdresser.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

what do these terrible persons do to other people's hair

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Put hats on it from the sound of things

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cleretic posted:

It might be one that varies by country, and requirements of certain professions cause things to shift around. One of the replies to the original tweet makes a very valid observation that in Australia the main future profession for female school bullies is hairdresser.

Yeah that bit about shithead men dropping out and becoming tradies and shithead women dropping out and becoming beauticians, then hooking up at TAFE and having shithead kids is right on the money.

The worst kid I know has an electrician for a dad and a manicurist for a mother, and when they told me they were moving to Phillip Island at the end of last year, I was incredibly relieved that my daughter wouldn't have to go to school with their son.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/OregonProgress/status/1199234207974772736?s=19

Exactly the same energy.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

hi I've worked in healthcare a long time and while I've met a a number of nurses that are extraordinarily lovely I've met more than the same amount that are incredibly passionate and it still boggles my mind what we've accomplished together in regards to patient advocacy

dot dot dot the patient advocator was me LOL

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
There are lots of amazing nurses, but it's not like people are sharing clips of those intelligent, caring nurses not being anti-vaxx, crystal energy, flat earth nutjobs who mock and restrict assistance for sick people. The worst examples are what get amplified, and that in turn convinces people who would otherwise have zero opinion about nurses to think they all suck, and that signal boosts the original bad examples to a larger audience until you get groups of people going around unironically saying "ANAB". It's really the same with cops, where the worst examples of cops are murderers who are protected by a union that allows repugnant behavior to thrive, so we constantly hear about the people who absolutely shouldn't be cops and never about the cops who, you know, don't murder or rape people. There are, of course, bad cops and bad nurses and they should certainly, inarguably be removed and held accountable for their actions, but saying everyone of a profession is a monster doesn't make it any easier for the people who really try and really care.

My mom is a nurse who doesn't fall into the crazy trap, and after she retired from the Air Force she did some work for a prison. The conditions and restrictions horrified her, and it didn't take her long to become conflicted about leaving a place that was not run well with deputies who didn't give a poo poo about the inmates and her belief that if she left the inmates would suffer more because there'd be no one left who believes them or cares about them. She regularly travels three hours to sit next to and help care for the mother of her ex-husband, a woman who was an abusive narcissist and a real piece of poo poo to her kids for almost her entire life, because she knows none of the kids are going to stay by her side and they certainly aren't going to brush my grandma's teeth or help give her a bath. She is, in short, a goddamn saint and a joke about how all nurses are stupid villains ruffles my feathers.

Some nurses are stupid villains.

What thread is this?
https://twitter.com/welcomet0nature/status/1199269564695171073?s=20

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
unlike cops nurses actually do useful work.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

It sounds like the problem might just be white nurses

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

The Little Death posted:

Ehh, black nurses have a pretty high rate of being anti-vacc and having similar “beliefs” that stand in direct opposition to their profession. Some of that is probably driven by distrust of the medical field driven of historical treatment of non-white people, but that doesn’t make it any better for their patients.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Nurses are fine. American and poverty are the things that are bad.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Remember children.

No war but......?

That's right. Class war.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

LawfulWaffle posted:

It's really the same with cops, where the worst examples of cops are murderers who are protected by a union that allows repugnant behavior to thrive, so we constantly hear about the people who absolutely shouldn't be cops and never about the cops who, you know, don't murder or rape people.

Not murdering and raping is a pretty low bar to clear. The major difference between nurses and cops is that the best nurses are actually providing an essential service and the best cops are... not actively causing harm? Maybe?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Not murdering and raping is a pretty low bar to clear. The major difference between nurses and cops is that the best nurses are actually providing an essential service and the best cops are... not actively causing harm? Maybe?

That is a bit far. There are police officers who do genuine good. That doesn't excuse their participation in covering for the many who are bad. Sometimes the ones who do bad are also the ones who do good because prejudice and racism are a hell of a drug.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i'm a nurse

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

fauna posted:

i'm a nurse

Hi a nurse I'm gay

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

That is a bit far. There are police officers who do genuine good. That doesn't excuse their participation in covering for the many who are bad. Sometimes the ones who do bad are also the ones who do good because prejudice and racism are a hell of a drug.

There are no good cops. There are some good nurses. Easy.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

The Little Death posted:

doesn't sound like that at all - maybe you're holding a cursed conch shell up to your ear

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_University_of_Utah_Hospital_incident posted:

On July 26, 2017, Jeff Payne, a detective for the Salt Lake City Police Department (SLCPD), arrested nurse Alex Wubbels at the University of Utah Hospital after she refused to draw blood from an unconscious patient. Footage of the incident released on August 31, 2017 went viral online. The SLCPD announced policy changes which would affect how police should handle situations involving drawing blood, and the hospital announced it would also change its police protocol to avoid repeating the incident. Utah lawmakers made a bill to amend the blood draw policy of Utah law enforcement, which Utah Governor Gary Herbert signed on March 15, 2018.

Nurses 1, cops 0.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
This entire chain has been pretty wild, I've lived most of my life within one state and have never heard of these prejudices against nurses before. To hear so many people arguing as if it's a foregone conclusion is honestly disorienting. I'm also not white, for reference.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Olaf The Stout posted:

This entire chain has been pretty wild, I've lived most of my life within one state and have never heard of these prejudices against nurses before. To hear so many people arguing as if it's a foregone conclusion is honestly disorienting. I'm also not white, for reference.

Neat trick how "there's a problem with nurses being prejudiced against patients" becomes "prejudice against nurses" in only a few posts. Are you the guy who wrote the dissertation about how cops just have A Few Bad Apples or are there two of you in here?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/FreeMemesKids/status/1199323395630010369

Apologies for the source

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

extremely online posted:

Neat trick how "there's a problem with nurses being prejudiced against patients" becomes "prejudice against nurses" in only a few posts. Are you the guy who wrote the dissertation about how cops just have A Few Bad Apples or are there two of you in here?

I mean you could control f my name for a few pages.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/therunnersam/status/1178674283587018755?s=19

https://twitter.com/therunnersam/status/1180192846348992512?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Melania Trump went to a high school in Baltimore (the city Trump said no one would want to live there and was a disgusting rat and rodent infested) to speak to middle and high schoolers about Opioids and well the response was not positive

https://mobile.twitter.com/ProudResister/status/1199390090063015936