Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Does someone have the "quote the poo poo out of this" MoMA post handy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

It's odd - I can't tell if the ships in E:D look better or worse than the ones in SC, but something about them is definitely better. I don't know if they look more realistic due to the lack of excessive greeble or something, but they're pleasant.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The entire concept of commercials for privately owned military warships is kinda insane all by itself. In what kind of hosed up society is that the norm.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1199307782245232646

We'll sell no wine before its time

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sandweed posted:

The entire concept of commercials for privately owned military warships is kinda insane all by itself. In what kind of hosed up society is that the norm.

Sounds pretty American to me?

Even the Reddit shitizens have given up and are embracing the jankfest: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/e1q8b0/now_i_remember_why_i_avoid_fps_in_star_citizen/

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Popete posted:

I've never actually played SC is there actually any economy in the game right now? Like can you buy X resource from planet Y and load it into your ship and sell it at planet Z?

The econ seminar during Citizen Con was much like the rest of the Con, extremely boring and amounting to nothing. The guy talked for 30 minutes about how NOT to do an economy simulation all leading up to how they would like to some day hopefully maybe do it the right way.

The way the economy in Star Citizen works right now is that every station has a hidden "Demand" stat for certain products that ticks up over time. Other stations have a hidden "Supply" stat. You want to buy from stations with high supply and sell to stations with low demand. There is, of course, no in-game way to know which stations those are without spending 3 weeks flying around and visiting every one. As with every other space game, however, the players have stepped up and made handy websites that you can use to find the best routes. Which brings us to the second problem:

They clearly tuned the economy to only generate a few hundred thousand credits per hour across the whole server. Demand for anything worth moving around is extremely limited, and shared with everyone else on the server. Want to run drugs? Whoops, someone just emptied a cargo hold of them, it will be two real-time hours before they will buy enough of your poo poo for you to clear your hold, even if you stand there spamming "Sell" they're only going to take a few hundred units every two or three minutes as their hidden demand ticks up. Which leads to the third problem:

There is no indication how much the station will actually buy. You can offer them as much as you want- a long "Sale" animation will play and then if you offered more than they can buy, the transaction will simply fail. So you need to turn the slider allllll the way down and then gradually scale it up, selling more and more until you "Dial in" the amount they will buy. It can take literally an hour to sell the cargo that took 20 seconds to pick up.

This is why most people now only sell the bulk goods, the ones that you can exchange for pennies and that (conveniently) only really make a profit if you have one of the giant four hundred dollar trade ships. Everyone else just hauls boxes or mines.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Colostomy Bag posted:

Does someone have the "quote the poo poo out of this" MoMA post handy?

January 2017:

ManofManyAliases posted:

-We're going to see 3.0 release much earlier than "mid-year."
-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.
-Certain evocati will begin testing 3.0 very, very soon.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

Source, might require archives access:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&pagenumber=325&perpage=40#post467942665

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

When did 3.0 come out again?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

iospace posted:

December 23rd, 2017

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChzKZtIbcdM

Today's Not-Jeremy-Clarkson cringe

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

iospace posted:

It was around November or December in 2017. And, of course, nowhere close to what it was originally shown to contain in it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

lol, thanks

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I'm actually amazed how they don't get in more hot legal action with this.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

New Star Citizen Trailer Serves More Top Gear Parody as Crowdfunding Passes $244 Million

Chocolate Elf Dude posted:

Today Cloud Imperium Games opened the third day of the Intergalactic Aerospace Expo 2049 in Star Citizen, focusing on three brands of ships and vehicles.

Under the spotlight we find Kruger Intergalactic, Consolidated Outlands, and Tumbril.

This also means that we get a new trailer featuring more Top Gear Parody with totally-not-Jeremy Clarkson Jax McCleary and totally-not-the Stig Jimmy.

You can watch it below. The impression is rather spot-on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChzKZtIbcdM

Chocolate Elf Dude went on and posted:

As usual, the most relevant event of the expo is the Free Flight Event which will allow everyone to try the current build of Star Citizen without needing to pledge any real money.

Today you’ll be able to try ships and vehicles by the three brands mentioned above, including the following.

-Cyclone: Stir up a storm with this robust two-seater buggy that can carry a little something in the back.
-Cyclone AA: This two-seater buggy with EMP functionality is armed with an anti-air missile launcher to deter threats from above.
-Cyclone RN: Unveils the fog of war, the recon variant of the Cyclone is mounted with a powerful scanner array.
-Cyclone TR: Support ground infantry with this combat variant, equipped with a mounted turret to provide cover fire for ground operations.
-Mustang Alpha: Consolidated Outland’s premier ship for those wanting to push the limits a little more when starting out.
-Mustang Beta: Home is where the heart is, the Beta offers comfortable living quarters for beginners roaming the frontier.
-Mustang Delta: The Mustang Delta is armed with heavier weapons and rocket pods.
-Mustang Gamma: Racing the competition? The additional engine loaded into the back will provide competitive the edge you need.
-P-52 Merlin: Small, agile and comes with a sting. This snub fighter is fragile, but difficult to hit.

I really want to try the Nova tank, but it isn’t playable yet, so no cigar, as Jax McCleary would say.

On top of that, the Anniversary sale is also ongoing which means that the crowdfunding total is continuing to grow, and it has now passed $243 million.

More precisely, it’s sitting on $244,265,639. This means that gamers have pledged over $700,000 in about a day.

The number of registered accounts is now at 2,434,130, keeping in mind that not all of them are paying players. The number includes accounts created for Free Fly events like the one ongoing now.

If you want to see more you can check out the impressive gameplay shared yesterday and the second part, showing planet Microtech, the Anvil Carrack, and the Anvil Pisces, and the first wormhole jump to a new system. You can also take a look at the brand new “Theatres of War” Battlefield-like gameplay mode, the reveal of the game’s universe simulation tech, Quantum, and more videos and screenshots showing planet tech v4, Microtech and its capital, New Babbage.

For the sake of full disclosure, you should keep in mind that the author of this article has been a Star Citizen backer since the original Kickstarter campaign.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How is it that its not a huge deal to these nerds that SQ42 wasn’t even shown? Like Its a huge part of what they are supposed to have been working on but they didn’t show a single thing?

That’s mental.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

MarcusSA posted:

How is it that its not a huge deal to these nerds that SQ42 wasn’t even shown? Like Its a huge part of what they are supposed to have been working on but they didn’t show a single thing?

That’s mental.

Because its so good we don't deserve to see it. Only when we break 300 mil will we have pledged enough to be given a glimpse of SQ42 and we should be happy with that.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

That’s mental.

My hypothesis is no one really gave two shits about it except Roberts. It was basically tossed in as a freebie. Like an extra bonus. Cool, single player game to waste time on. I'll click the pledge button.

Of course we know Roberts then took how many tens of millions from the original vision to fund what he really wanted to do and well, the idiots can't accept the truth.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

My hypothesis is no one really gave two shits about it except Roberts. It was basically tossed in as a freebie. Like an extra bonus. Cool, single player game to waste time on. I'll click the pledge button.

Of course we know Roberts then took how many tens of millions from the original vision to fund what he really wanted to do and well, the idiots can't accept the truth.

The Calders might care.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ice cream is in?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wow, there's a lot going on here.

0:13 - Covalex Shipping livery for the Mustang Gamma, a racing ship which conveniently can't carry boxes

0:47 - Low level flying through the cityscape, something that will immediately get you exploded by an exclusion zone if you try it

1:06 - In response to "Thanks, Wendy!" we hear a bizarre alien growl, implying that not only are aliens in Star Citizen (they aren't) but that one of them... runs an ice cream shop?

1:14 - Comparing literally identical "ice cream cone" assets lmao. Couldn't even be bothered to make two different types of ice cream for a video where you... race to get two different types of ice cream.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

MarcusSA posted:

That’s mental.

Nobody has ever, ever cared about SQ42 except as a victory lap to take when things are going well. Nobody backed for it, nobody's particularly interested in playing it. It's a curio that Chris keeps dragging back out and everyone else has learned to tolerate. Now, of course, it is also the lead weight around the neck of a drowning company, but whaddayagonnado

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

As a reminder, for those that like literal fires, there is always the Elon Musk thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862673

Just announced, Musk will testify in his own defense.

Almost makes Roberts look competent. And the cult is even stronger.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

That’s mental.

I have a probably dumb theory that the keynote mission was actually for Squadron 42, but they decided to change it into something from Star Citizen, because almost everything except what's possible with Lumberyard not working well.

This is because I'm still trying to figure out how that can work in an MMO and it's probably making me question my sanity.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Because the investors did so out of the kindness of their hearts and would not expect any of the proceeds from the SQ42 sales to go to them, nope you just use that money Youngblood!

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Dementropy posted:

I admit, when I first saw it, all I thought of was the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where the guy is trying to be all fancy with his sword and Indy just shoots him.

It took me a bit to understand what they were really trying to get across.

So I guess the person who made that didn't really think things out.

Fun fact about Raiders of the Lost Ark: Harrison Ford had massive diarrhea and "just shot the guy" because he didn't want to get into a fight scene.

This pertains to Star Citizer somehow, probably because if CIG had just gotten their game done and released it, they wouldn't be spewing poo poo everywhere now.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Colostomy Bag posted:

As a reminder, for those that like literal fires, there is always the Elon Musk thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862673

Just announced, Musk will testify in his own defense.

Almost makes Roberts look competent. And the cult is even stronger.

I tried to read that thread but it feels like it's mostly just bitter assholes looking for any excuse to hate on a guy who despite being an awkward douche is one of the biggest innovators in modern-

oh noooo

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

echothreealpha posted:

I have a probably dumb theory that the keynote mission was actually for Squadron 42, but they decided to change it into something from Star Citizen, because almost everything except what's possible with Lumberyard not working well.

This is because I'm still trying to figure out how that can work in an MMO and it's probably making me question my sanity.

That was bugging me too, unless they instance it there will be 30 idiots bunny hopping around the station murder botting everything as soon as it respawns.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

So, uhh, I've never really followed the game very much, but where the gently caress did they spend the tens of millions of dollars?

If egosoft can make a game for a fraction of that which has mostly similar content, nevermind something like NMS, or, I dunno, SW:KOTOR, how in the hell did they spend all that money?

The ideas themselves even seem quite attractive on the face of it, but I simply can't understand how did they get so very little done that it looks like a lovely F2P game from a no-name dev.

Is it just the OUYA scam model except in game form? Shame, MMO The Precursors (but 15 years later) would have been fun.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Private Speech posted:

So, uhh, I've never really followed the game very much, but where the gently caress did they spend the tens of millions of dollars?

If egosoft can make a game for a fraction of that which has mostly similar content, nevermind something like NMS, or, I dunno, SW:KOTOR, how in the hell did they spend all that money?

The ideas themselves even seem quite attractive on the face of it, but I simply can't understand how did they get so very little done that it looks like a lovely F2P game from a no-name dev.

Is it just the OUYA scam model except in game form? Shame, MMO The Precursors (but 15 years later) would have been fun.

Salaries to the owners of the 15 or so shell companies.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Slow_Moe posted:

Fun fact about Raiders of the Lost Ark: Harrison Ford had massive diarrhea and "just shot the guy" because he didn't want to get into a fight scene.
I heard it was a shoulder problem but diarrhea is better.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

monkeytek posted:

That was bugging me too, unless they instance it there will be 30 idiots bunny hopping around the station murder botting everything as soon as it respawns.

Well, at least this time it didnt crash, which has solidified some fans that this is finally working as intended while handwaving away that it's pretty much walking from point A to point B where nothing could kill you, not even those ships that are clearly just shooting blanks and waiting to explode after a set amount of damage.

"Shh, look conspicious. Now he's using stealth to hide himself from the NPCs as he goes into the lab"

This was far more suspenseful, and less fake than what was shown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9kQdH1o4kA

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Private Speech posted:

It turns out that bad management can burn nearly infinite amounts of money with nothing to show for it. You don't even have to be corrupt or a bad developer. If you make enough terrible, terrible financial decisions you can sink any company.

All it takes is a few decisions like:

* Hiring multiple external studios to develop portions of your game and then throwing them away because you didn't spec them well enough to integrate into your workflow, burning the studios that worked for you in the process by poo poo talking them to the press so that they will never, ever work for you again

* Dropping your entire original team including the front man for all of your publicity content and moving halfway across the country because your wife wanted to be an actress, setting the entire project back by a year or more

* Pivoting from the game you actually sold to a big-budget movie game that your consumers didn't want and won't pay for, and hiring Andy Serkis's mocap studio to record a half dozen A-list actors wearing dots all over their faces and reading your scripts at a million bucks a person, to produce mocap data so unusable that it still has not seen the light of day after five plus years

* Engaging in deal after deal after deal, from keyboards to face cams to hard drives to plastic models, wasting hundreds and hundreds of hours of your company's time on cheapening the brand with every kind of garbage merch possible

* Completely losing track of what is actually possible in a video game and promising, and then selling, stuff like particle colliders and radio telescopes and space farms and colony-building ships before you even have a working flight model

* Licensing entirely the wrong engine for your project, then poaching all of the developers from the only company in the world producing patches for the engine, then treating them so poorly they all quit your company, leaving you dead in the water and with the engine manufacturers coming after you in court for breach of contract

* Filing for gigantic tax windfalls in the UK based on the "Britishness" of your space game which fails to meet basically any of the standards of that test and then frantically scrambling to retrofit some Britishness back into the project

* Charging fees to your consumers that are so exorbitantly high that within a couple years the only thing anyone knows about your project is that it's the one with the assets that cost twenty to thirty times what they should

* Producing literally hundreds of hours of hype videos, having an in-house production studio, constantly rejiggering what it is exactly that you're showing and who's showing it and how it's shown and when and why, wasting thousands of man-hours of your development staff's time

* Hosting conventions celebrating your project two or three times per year, and demanding that your staff produce flimsy, not-for-actual-release content specifically to roll out at these big stage presentations, rather than working on the actual project, leaving them no more than two or three months per year to make actual forward momentum

* Becoming obsessive about minutiae like the fit of a leather jacket and harassing your staff about bullshit so relentlessly that whole teams of artists walk out the door en-masse, leaving you permanently trying to cover huge holes in your staff

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Actually having written all of that, in hindsight it's a miracle how big of a gently caress up you can actually be and still remain in business even temporarily

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

Nobody has ever, ever cared about SQ42 except as a victory lap to take when things are going well. Nobody backed for it, nobody's particularly interested in playing it. It's a curio that Chris keeps dragging back out and everyone else has learned to tolerate. Now, of course, it is also the lead weight around the neck of a drowning company, but whaddayagonnado

I've actually seen a fair few people say they backed for SQ42 and don't care about the PU.

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

Nyast posted:

Your report made me curious, so I had to do one too. Warning: it's much shorter.

Mission Report: 11/26/2019

I haven't launched the game for a year. So this is with self-contained (lack of) excitement that I launch the RSI launcher, which updates itself. Patching is straightfoward, but takes half an hour. Seems like I didn't have the previous version installed.

I launch the game and let it load. The first thing that strikes me is.. why the hell do I have a black screen ? It's been 10 minutes, I hear the background music, but the screen is black. It couldn't have crashed, has it ? Turns out that nope, it hadn't crashed, it simply needed an alt-tab. After I alt-tab, the menu magically appears. This is starting well.

I enter the PU, create my character (or more, like, skip it, since it always resets, there's no point in spending time carefully designing a character right now ), and let the game load. Another 10 minutes elapses, and the screen appears. I'm lying in my bed, ready to rock. I want to see all these new assets and the fantastic city, this time for sure ! There's only one problem: one slight, small problem: I cannot stand up. I have no idea what key to use to stand up in my bed. Wasn't it R ? or was it F ? I press forward, I hold these keys, nothing happens. I can turn my head and look around, but I feel like I'm in an hospital bed, paralized. Meanwhile the framerate goes to a frame per minute, because apparently CIG still hasn't learned how to stream assets asynchronously ? I thought that had been fixed years ago, all games I usually play stream assets in without affecting the framerate, but here I have to patiently wait 5 minutes until all assets are loaded, before I get back my framerate and try again to hit all keys at random on my keyboard.

Good news ! My character stands up. I have no idea which key I hit, it certainly wasn't any of the obvious ones. Or maybe standing didn't work because of the assets loading / framerate issue, who knows. In any case, I stand up and start walking in my small room. There's a table with some items, I try to grab a cup but it doesn't seem to work well, the contextual menus jump all over the place and 90% of the menu options don't seem to do anything. I'm not sure if I'm having server issues or if the game really is like that, all I can say is that every single time I've loaded the game in the past few years I had a similar experience.

All the little items are glitchy and seem to have seizures. Oh, no, they're not jumping around like crazy, it's not that bad. Just seizures of a pixel. It definitely feels off. There is flickering in many places. I see a door in a corner of my room, I bring up the contextual menu but it's empty. It's weird because the door is highlihted and clearly interactable. I try again, and for some reason it works now, an "open" item appears, I click on it and.. it's the bathroom. I notice there's a mirror on the wall, the visual effect does look nice ( but why is a mirror frosted ? it's basically unusable. Are people in the future using mirrors that are centuries old ? ), but it strikes me that I can't see my own character's reflection. I'm a ghost, literally. So much for immer-shion.

I exit the bathroom and head over the main room's entrance. I can't wait to see all these copy/pasted assets and neon ads. Unfortunately, the gods at CIG decided that that would be the end of my experience, as I get a "server disconnected" message and get back to the main menu. I'm tempted to try again, but the CIG-gods are definitely against me: the PU entry menu now displays a "bad token" text and I cannot click it anymore. Meanwhile, I get flooded by "Person X has left the party", despite the fact that I haven't been in a party. I suspect it shows that message for every person that was on the server, so I'm spammed by 50 of these messages as I helplessly try to find a way to enter the PU again. Nope, nothing works, and I ragequit the game while facepalming. Who knows, maybe next year my experience will be different ? ( yeah, right ! )

Machine specs: i7 6700k, 32 GB ram, Nvidia 1070 GTX.

Verdict: An hour of "play" and I haven't been able to leave my room.

You dont understand Game Design

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

It turns out that bad management can burn nearly infinite amounts of money with nothing to show for it. You don't even have to be corrupt or a bad developer. If you make enough terrible, terrible financial decisions you can sink any company.

All it takes is a few decisions like:

* Hiring multiple external studios to develop portions of your game and then throwing them away because you didn't spec them well enough to integrate into your workflow, burning the studios that worked for you in the process by poo poo talking them to the press so that they will never, ever work for you again

* Dropping your entire original team including the front man for all of your publicity content and moving halfway across the country because your wife wanted to be an actress, setting the entire project back by a year or more

* Pivoting from the game you actually sold to a big-budget movie game that your consumers didn't want and won't pay for, and hiring Andy Serkis's mocap studio to record a half dozen A-list actors wearing dots all over their faces and reading your scripts at a million bucks a person, to produce mocap data so unusable that it still has not seen the light of day after five plus years

* Engaging in deal after deal after deal, from keyboards to face cams to hard drives to plastic models, wasting hundreds and hundreds of hours of your company's time on cheapening the brand with every kind of garbage merch possible

* Completely losing track of what is actually possible in a video game and promising, and then selling, stuff like particle colliders and radio telescopes and space farms and colony-building ships before you even have a working flight model

* Licensing entirely the wrong engine for your project, then poaching all of the developers from the only company in the world producing patches for the engine, then treating them so poorly they all quit your company, leaving you dead in the water and with the engine manufacturers coming after you in court for breach of contract

* Filing for gigantic tax windfalls in the UK based on the "Britishness" of your space game which fails to meet basically any of the standards of that test and then frantically scrambling to retrofit some Britishness back into the project

* Charging fees to your consumers that are so exorbitantly high that within a couple years the only thing anyone knows about your project is that it's the one with the assets that cost twenty to thirty times what they should

* Producing literally hundreds of hours of hype videos, having an in-house production studio, constantly rejiggering what it is exactly that you're showing and who's showing it and how it's shown and when and why, wasting thousands of man-hours of your development staff's time

* Hosting conventions celebrating your project two or three times per year, and demanding that your staff produce flimsy, not-for-actual-release content specifically to roll out at these big stage presentations, rather than working on the actual project, leaving them no more than two or three months per year to make actual forward momentum

* Becoming obsessive about minutiae like the fit of a leather jacket and harassing your staff about bullshit so relentlessly that whole teams of artists walk out the door en-masse, leaving you permanently trying to cover huge holes in your staff

And not to forget, apparently spending time working on the net code instead of running the company!

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

Sarsapariller posted:

Arguable that Chris Roberts could see it as his way back into Hollywood as well.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Private Speech posted:

Not tens, hundreds.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
How long was that spaceman out in -120 C? With just a jacket, no gloves, no balaclava. I don’t think these people have ever been out in legit cold weather before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

Agony Aunt posted:

I've actually seen a fair few people say they backed for SQ42 and don't care about the PU.

I would have been one of those, if my brother hadn't been suckered in first only to warn me away.