Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Thinking of other games, does anyone have a challenging but not unfairly difficult coop game for 3 people? I was considering buying Robinson Crusoe ha ha ha ha ha

I know Spirit Island is a common suggestion but Im trying to see what else is out there for coop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Control Volume posted:

Thinking of other games, does anyone have a challenging but not unfairly difficult coop game for 3 people? I was considering buying Robinson Crusoe ha ha ha ha ha

I know Spirit Island is a common suggestion but Im trying to see what else is out there for coop

Spirit island is extremely good and it has a lot of scaling difficulties

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Control Volume posted:

Well there's Gloomhaven.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Control Volume posted:

The grizzled

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Lost Expedition (or the slightly-changed by mostly reskinned 2020 AD version: The Cursed Earth)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Well there's Gloomhaven.

Look man I really want gloomhaven but I cant convince my boyfriend to drop 150 dollars on a legacy game. Im working on it! Im trying!!!

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Control Volume posted:

Look man I really want gloomhaven but I cant convince my boyfriend to drop 150 dollars on a legacy game. Im working on it! Im trying!!!

It's only like $99 now.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

It retails for $120 for more gameplay than the next two AAA games you won't finish.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
It's really either Gloomhaven or Spirit Island. Nothing else is as good. Most are much worse.

The secret other option is Pandemic: Legacy.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Black Orchestra is great

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Control Volume posted:

You are, Im talking about adding drafting which isnt in the rules as written. It stacks the odds that youll see cards that synergize with one of your dealt corps

That still doesn't help with the issue that some corps are just better than others. 'Oh my corp get a bonus for Vesuvian cards, that must be good!' vs 'Mine turns heat into money!'

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Control Volume posted:

I 'like' Robinson crusoe! There's all the 'Escape!' And unlock games, those are fun. Arkham / Eldritch Horror, mansions of madness and Elder Sign are all things, (although I hate elder sign) or if you prefer LotR Journeys in middle Earth was cool. There's a co op module for scythe in rise of fenris, (if you've already got and like Scythe), Nemesis has a kind of co op mode, (and tainted grail has been getting deec reviews and think you can still late back kick start that?)

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Which are the good escape room in a box games? I can never remember and how is the barrier to entry? I'm thinking of sending one to my parents so they have an after Christmas dinner activity

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Magic maze is a fun co-op and works with 3.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

armorer posted:

Magic maze is a fun co-op and works with 3.

Though, to quote a reviewer, "moving left is not a game".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

silvergoose posted:

That reviewer can eat a bag of dicks. Magic Maze is about assembling a plan without direct communication, not performing manoeuvres.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Aramoro posted:

That still doesn't help with the issue that some corps are just better than others. 'Oh my corp get a bonus for Vesuvian cards, that must be good!' vs 'Mine turns heat into money!'

Are you talking about the jovian tag one? Because that also starts with titanium production and one extra money production and seems overall pretty ok

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

silvergoose posted:

I don't know how exactly, but being responsible for only moving stuff to the left can be quite fun in that context.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah I don't actually dislike Magic Maze, I just can't really argue with the fact that, sometimes, a given person isn't going to have a whole lot to do.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Just reading the rules for the FCM expansion in anticipation of it and holy smokes those new milestones are wild.

One question though about the lobbyists and the new roads:

The rules on BGG say that when you use a lobbyist and add a new road a few things things happen: first, the new road is flipped over to the "under construction" side.

Second, you put it on the map and for every pre-existing road that the arrows on the new road touch, you add a marker that increases distance by 1 there.

Third, during clean-up, remove the markers and flip the tile to a normal road.

I'm confused about this though because the rules say that you can never use a road under construction, so why do you add the distance markers to it? Am I misreading/misunderstanding something?

Also, have any Canadians received their copies of it yet? I thought it was shipped out at the same time as R&B.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Control Volume posted:

- You laugh, but I don't find Robinson too unfair. Yes it's difficult, and there is randomness, but you can mitigate a lot of it. I don't even like randomness/dice-rolling generally, but I find it really adds to the theme/narrative here.
- As others have said, Spirit Island is top tier.
- Gloomhaven can be had for < 100$ on sale (perhaps this Black Friday?). And the only Legacy-lite parts of it are stickers, which you can negate by buying the removable sticker set for 10$, use an app, or pen & paper.
- Aeon's End is my favorite coop deckbuilder.
- Legends of Andor is a euro efficiency puzzle disguised as a fantasy adventure

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

There's a difference between not doing something and being checked out. Yes, I don't need to move anything left right now, but I'd better be paying attention and be fully engaged. Usually when you say a player has nothing to do, it means that their presence is unnecessary, which is not the case in magic maze.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Frozen Peach posted:

Joining the "a friend launched a kickstarter" party but with a twist... HONEY BUZZ

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brentdickman/honey-buzz-the-worker-bee-placement-game?ref=user_menu

Look how loving gorgeous this game is, and it comes with squishy honey bits!!! I'm in love.

I was a fan of the game as a prototype, but they've out did themselves on the final design and components.\

(the twist is that it's a good kickstarter)

This is the 3rd game out by this company, they're doing strong so far. My best friend is one of the guys running it and is super dedicated . Anyways it's in the final 48 hours and doing well, over 2k people backing it but can always use more

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mojo Jojo posted:

Which are the good escape room in a box games? I can never remember and how is the barrier to entry? I'm thinking of sending one to my parents so they have an after Christmas dinner activity

I have played a lot of the Unlock and Exit series. In the Unlock games, you're given a deck of cards with numbers, and the game is based around figuring out what card to reveal next, often by combining two different numbers present on the face-up pictures of the cards, via an app, or by finding number present on the cards that are hidden in a variety of ways. Conversely, the Exit games are played by essentially having a series of discrete puzzles from a book that tend to reveal new cards, which come with new puzzles on them.

The Unlock series ones are my preferred choice - their puzzles and 'worldbuilding' are more clever than Exit games usually are, as they're fairly limited in the components available and what can be done with them. That said, you need to download an app to your mobile device in order to play the game - one, because you need to enter combination numbers into it to progress, and two, because there are a number of cards that are 'machines', interactive elements available in the app itself (so like, you enter the card number if it's a machine, then maybe click on a couple things to proceed). The games tend to be pretty clever about knowing where you are, allowing things like having the 'state' of the game change - like, if you entered the combination to the red door, the game now knows you're in the red room and so will update certain machine cards in the app based on that, or what have you. In any case, the games are also technically replayable, so once your parents finish it they can give it to a friend or resell it or something.

The Exit games are much more destructive than the Unlock games - in these, you'll be tearing things up, folding, and cutting various elements of the game. Sometimes you'll cut pieces out of cards, or fold an origami shape, or something like that. As a result, they end up with some interesting puzzles, but of course means that each game can be played once before it's time to recycle it, which feels pretty wasteful. The premise of each game is typically pretty flat - the past couple I've played have basically been 'oh you find some puzzle cards in the box!' which is, like, why are there puzzle cards here? And the stories themselves are pretty linear, having you essentially walk from room to room, solving a puzzle in each one before proceeding, which results in a lot more mechanical, less organic, experience than the Unlock series. But they do have some cool parts where you, like, fold up a piece of paper to reveal a clue, tear open something in the box to insert a card into it, that sort of thing.

In any case, I'm much more of a fan of the Unlock series. If your parents can work an app, and pick out some (sometimes faint) numbers on a card, then there's nothing stopping them from playing them.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Has anyone played Renegade, by RickyRoyal? I've heard it was Spirit Island/Mage Knight-like.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Llyranor posted:

Has anyone played Renegade, by RickyRoyal? I've heard it was Spirit Island/Mage Knight-like.

Yeah, it feels a lot like these games. Essentially it is a pick up and deliver game where you try to have the right tokens where you need them.

I like this game a lot as you can play it in like 20 minutes on the easier difficulties but still feel like you accomplished a lot. The game scales pretty well and offers a lot of replayability with all the different AIs, counter measures and the market cards.

But be warned that the terminology takes a while to get used to. But after you got it the game feels pretty thematic.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Control Volume posted:

Hanabi!

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

If you play with your spouse/partner please let them know if either get clues wrong it’s not indicative of the relationship’s communication

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

sonatinas posted:

If you play with your spouse/partner please let them know if either get clues wrong it’s not indicative of the relationship’s communication

Oh, trust me, it won’t matter even if you say that up front.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I do like how in fog of love it notes "remember you are not your character please don't get mad at your partner while playing"

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I have played a lot of the Unlock and Exit series. In the Unlock games, you're given a deck of cards with numbers, and the game is based around figuring out what card to reveal next, often by combining two different numbers present on the face-up pictures of the cards, via an app, or by finding number present on the cards that are hidden in a variety of ways. Conversely, the Exit games are played by essentially having a series of discrete puzzles from a book that tend to reveal new cards, which come with new puzzles on them.

The Unlock series ones are my preferred choice - their puzzles and 'worldbuilding' are more clever than Exit games usually are, as they're fairly limited in the components available and what can be done with them. That said, you need to download an app to your mobile device in order to play the game - one, because you need to enter combination numbers into it to progress, and two, because there are a number of cards that are 'machines', interactive elements available in the app itself (so like, you enter the card number if it's a machine, then maybe click on a couple things to proceed). The games tend to be pretty clever about knowing where you are, allowing things like having the 'state' of the game change - like, if you entered the combination to the red door, the game now knows you're in the red room and so will update certain machine cards in the app based on that, or what have you. In any case, the games are also technically replayable, so once your parents finish it they can give it to a friend or resell it or something.

The Exit games are much more destructive than the Unlock games - in these, you'll be tearing things up, folding, and cutting various elements of the game. Sometimes you'll cut pieces out of cards, or fold an origami shape, or something like that. As a result, they end up with some interesting puzzles, but of course means that each game can be played once before it's time to recycle it, which feels pretty wasteful. The premise of each game is typically pretty flat - the past couple I've played have basically been 'oh you find some puzzle cards in the box!' which is, like, why are there puzzle cards here? And the stories themselves are pretty linear, having you essentially walk from room to room, solving a puzzle in each one before proceeding, which results in a lot more mechanical, less organic, experience than the Unlock series. But they do have some cool parts where you, like, fold up a piece of paper to reveal a clue, tear open something in the box to insert a card into it, that sort of thing.

In any case, I'm much more of a fan of the Unlock series. If your parents can work an app, and pick out some (sometimes faint) numbers on a card, then there's nothing stopping them from playing them.
Cheers. How will would they play with six slightly drunk adults? I worry it's too many to really engage

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Badly. They are definitely best with 2-3

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I played one of them and would say wouldn't go over 4 but ymmv

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Mojo Jojo posted:

Cheers. How will would they play with six slightly drunk adults? I worry it's too many to really engage
From having attempted exactly this: Exit doesn’t really work with any more than the recommended 4 players. It’s just not really practical to have everyone crowded around the puzzle book and there’s not often much going on outside it.

Unlock is good at having enough cards “live” at any given point in time that there’s usually enough to keep six people occupied.

In terms of difficulty, every Exit is rated individually out of five on the box, though it does have .5s so it’s effectively rated out of ten. Each Unlock is rated out of three within the app, and if you buy one of the sets of three adventures, each set contains one Easy, one Medium and one Hard (except for the first set, Escape Adventures, which didn’t have ratings when shipped and has been retroactively rated in the app as having two Mediums and a Hard). In my experience, the Easys and Mediums can be completed by six slightly drunk people, the Hards not quite so much, but the in-app hint system makes all of them finishable.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mojo Jojo posted:

Like other have said, 6 is tough, and a slightly-drunk 6 is even worse. I've played with these with three other people, which I feel is the max.

However, depending on how you guys feel about it, you can always get two of the Unlock games, divide the group of six into two groups, and each do on game (then switch after if you liked it). The games have a time limit of an hour, so unless one of the groups is really fast you'll probably both be finishing at around the same time.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Morpheus posted:

Like other have said, 6 is tough, and a slightly-drunk 6 is even worse. I've played with these with three other people, which I feel is the max.

However, depending on how you guys feel about it, you can always get two of the Unlock games, divide the group of six into two groups, and each do on game (then switch after if you liked it). The games have a time limit of an hour, so unless one of the groups is really fast you'll probably both be finishing at around the same time.

This more fun if you played both games back to back so you could talk about them afterwards

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Okay, sounds like Unlock/Exit won't fit the bill.

Hmm

I like the idea of sending a game as it's typically my job to stop them playing 1982 Trivial Pursuit or Monopoly. Maybe this year they just suffer.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

6 mildly drunk adults were made for dexterity games. Get some PitchCar, Junk Art, or even Hop ($12 shipped ish from miniature Market black Friday sale active now) and you're set.

If you want something more strategic, a Roll and Write or adjacent game like Tiny Towns (resource card variant) or Railroad Ink might work.

Lastly you could do a party game like Decrypto, Codenames, or Cash N Guns.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Mojo Jojo posted:

The best escape room in a box is "The Werewolf Experiment". It works reasonably for up to 4 people. If you can't find that, try "Dr. Gravely's Retreat".

The original Exit games were ambitious, but had large problems. The new ones are bland and easy, with maybe one passable puzzle per box. The Unlock games are consistently OK, but some of the new ones get a bit lost in their gimmicks (eg. augmented reality on your smartphone).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Codenames is one of my favorite bar games. It scales very well by player count and BAC.