Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I know the guy who is assisting Cowan on the art for the book (uncredited as usual). Dude can perfectly replicate Cowan's style and has drawn a lot of his credited work. I guess his hands are an ongoing issue for him so he farms out the work.

Does he do stuff he gets credited for? I didn’t know this was a thing that got done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Does he do stuff he gets credited for? I didn’t know this was a thing that got done.

It depends on the artist. Alex Milne ghosted for Pat Lee for the bulk of the Dreamwave Transformers comics that were credited to Lee and I don't think he ever got formal credit for it. I met this guy doing for Cowan at the shop and I didn't believe him but he has some concrete proof. I've been to his house and seen his studio, he's definitely not making poo poo up. He says that Cowan has that "Milestone Money" so he can split his rate with this dude and it doesn't really hurt him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

It depends on the artist. Alex Milne ghosted for Pat Lee for the bulk of the Dreamwave Transformers comics that were credited to Lee and I don't think he ever got formal credit for it.

Or paid for it, probably.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I wish I could make DC more reasonable with the Black Label titles though. I think some people are starting to get overwhelmed by the weird glut of them. They definitely have a problem at my store where the first issue will do really well, but then when issue 3 rolls around it is dead and I am stuck with this awkward thing that won't fit in my dollar boxes.

At least Criminal Sanity had the decency to underperform right from the start.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

It depends on the artist. Alex Milne ghosted for Pat Lee for the bulk of the Dreamwave Transformers comics that were credited to Lee and I don't think he ever got formal credit for it. I met this guy doing for Cowan at the shop and I didn't believe him but he has some concrete proof. I've been to his house and seen his studio, he's definitely not making poo poo up. He says that Cowan has that "Milestone Money" so he can split his rate with this dude and it doesn't really hurt him.

Man, I used to love those books. Had some amazing covers, and the mini series of just the profiles was cool.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

In this article on BC, they go over the accounced Absolutes and Omnibuses for next year from DC.

What's the difference between the newly announced Infinite Crisis Omnibus, and the one I have - ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Infinite-Crisis-Omnibus-Geoff-Johns/dp/1401283276 ) which I read last year?

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

frameset posted:

In this article on BC, they go over the accounced Absolutes and Omnibuses for next year from DC.

What's the difference between the newly announced Infinite Crisis Omnibus, and the one I have - ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Infinite-Crisis-Omnibus-Geoff-Johns/dp/1401283276 ) which I read last year?

That website is unreadable on mobile. So many ads!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That website is unreadable

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/kibblesmith/status/1199392678976348160?s=19

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

A lot of people figure this out in the 50s and 60s but are tricked into believing they are wrong by alfred dressing up as batman or bruce wayne . I just read an issue where batman makes a guy look like a lunatic by printing a newspaper story about all the times crooks figured put batman was bruce wayne.

This is the only plot forever. lol

That issue also has a lying cover.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

At least King Tut suffered severe head injuries so Bruce Wayne never had to risk his life of privilege.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Remember in Hush where the Riddler figured out who Batman was and Batman said something stupid about knowing the answer to riddles and Riddler admitted defeat. What I am saying is that the Riddler was both smart and stupider than a dog, at the same time.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Why are they hiding their identies from their dog?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Why are they hiding their identies from their dog?

The original ace the bathound was not actually batman and Robin's dog. It was a guy who was kidnapped dog and as bruce wayne and dick Grayson they found the dog and publicized it asking whose dog it was. The dog has a specific mark on its forehead that would give away that this dog was found by bruce. So the dog wears a mask and the guy who was kidnapped never figured any of this out after he was found.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

That website is unreadable on mobile. So many ads!

Sorry, I use Firefox with adblock on Android, so I had no idea.

Here's the description:

DC press release posted:

This omnibus collects Action Comics #826, #829, Adventures of Superman #639, #642, Countdown to Infinite Crisis, Day of Vengeance #1-6, Day of Vengeance Infinite Crisis Special, JLA #115-119, Infinite Crisis #1-6, Infinite Crisis Secret Files 2006, The OMAC Project #1-6, The OMAC Project Infinite Crisis Special, Rann-Thanagar War #1-6, The Rann-Thanagar Infinite Crisis Special, Superman #216, #219, Villains United #1-6, Villains United Infinite Crisis Special and Wonder Woman #219.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

So Year of the Villain is just Underworld Unleashed II?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vincent posted:

More or less

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

More or less

Forever Evil II?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Vincent posted:

Posthuman Lex is the worst possible take on a villain. Misses the who point of the character.

Who doesn't like tie ins that are just two panels with a Legion of Doom logo in the sky? In the more important ones they even look up at the sky, go "Huh", and return back to what they were doing.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Who doesn't like tie ins that are just two panels with a Legion of Doom logo in the sky? In the more important ones they even look up at the sky, go "Huh", and return back to what they were doing.
Unironically me.
Tie-ins are, at best a way for good writers to show you how events are dumb as gently caress and at worst a waste of money by having a book side-step it's current story for some bonus bullshit you don't care about.
Edit: a waste of money for the reader, I mean.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The first month of YOTV should have told you not to buy the branded regular comics for their supposed tie-ins.

At this point I dont even register that top banner.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Posthuman Lex is the worst possible take on a villain. Misses the who point of the character.

I have to agree. Lex Luthor's whole shitck is that he is a normal, greedy businessman with a lot to prove. He was top dog until Superman showed up. This is why some people bemoan Superman because he was gifted with all these traits while Luthor worked for them. However, I, an intellectual, argue that Lex's response to Superman is the ultimate condemnation of his person: a truly great man would have worked with Superman to help others instead of tearing down the entire world to try to scream at the void that he was superior.

Turning him into a superbeing COULD work. Hell, All-Star Superman does this AMAZINGLY. This is not All-Star Superman. This is Lex Luthor turning from the villain people love into a grey slice of white bread that blindly worships an evil god. This makes no sense for Lex. I get they lampshade it. I get they point out this is why Lex is wining because he now believes in something bigger than himself. I even concede that's thematically appropriate to a degree. But, it is boring as hell. There is a glut of characters, usually throw away, in fiction who are acting like Lex is right now. But there is only one Lex Luthor and he's nowhere to be seen in this story.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I would argue that the arc of Action Comics that focused soley on Lex getting god powers from, I think, an infantile being born from the Phantom Zone itself was way way better than what All-Star Superman did. If only because it went on a lot longer.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The new Dark Multicerse: Infinite Crisis story was pretty good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

The new Dark Multicerse: Infinite Crisis story was pretty good.

Yeah, the "no one man should have all that power" ending was cliche but seeing Ted systematically prevent basically every event of the 2000s was very entertaining.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I managed to get my hands on some sweet Knightfall trades (the three part trade set, not the 9 part one) and paging through the first book made me get some great Norm Breyfogle artwork. I kind of always forget about Breyfogle when thinking of Batman artists but looking at his stuff in Knightfall I got to say that he is probably the best underrated Batman artist there is. Jim Aparo is good too but his stuff is a bit more....generic. Like it is fine and his artwork is consistently solid but it doesn't feel unique enough to stand out like Breyfogle does. Aparo feels like watching beautiful people in a drama, while Breyfogle feels like watching beautiful people in a thriller.

One other thing the whole Knighfall arc (and it's follow ups) has got me thinking is about big Batman crossover arcs. Knightfall is seen as very influential in the way it presented a huge storyline with real stakes. I am not too familiar with the follow up arcs in Knightquest outside of a few issues so I can't talk about if those are any good or not. For me though (and full disclosure I have not read all of the issues in the crossover) No Man's Land is probably the best Batman crossover, as it did a smart thing in telling a lot of small stories in a big over arching storyline. The writing was great and there were a lot of awesome character moments (Huntress protecting the guards while getting shot with arrows stands out for me the most).
Bruce Wayne Murderer/Fugitive started strong but the second story arc (Fugitive) was weak as hell, with a terrible conclusion in the end. The Murderer segment felt more cohesive while the Fugitive arc was disjointed as gently caress and the reveal at the end was like a wet fart.
Officer Down was a very well done short crossover (meaning it didn't go on longer than it should have which is great) which had a lot of great character moments as well. It is the spiritual predecessor for Gotham Central and the story line was focused and really well done. I think it clocks in at 6 issues with no tie ins.
I never read War Games so I can't talk for it but I heard bad things about it, which is a shame because the premise on it's own doesn't sound bad.

Outside of the crossovers above, I couldn't really recall any other notable Batman crossovers so let me know if I missed any or of there were any really good ones to check out.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just picked up the trades of Justice League International so I can reread them on the drive to Thanksgiving this year. Easily one of my favorite books ever. Moving to digital collections prevents me from facing my huge stacks of longboxes.

Every time I reread that series it always makes me wish modern team books were half as good. Characters with personalities and relationships with each other is so refreshing.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I'm enjoying Action Comics but after being underwhelmed by the art in the recent issues, it's a treat to see
some Janson-inked Romita Jr in there (despite a couple of cubist-inspired faces near the end).

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Oh, I didn't realize Creature of the Night #4 finally came out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

I managed to get my hands on some sweet Knightfall trades (the three part trade set, not the 9 part one) and paging through the first book made me get some great Norm Breyfogle artwork. I kind of always forget about Breyfogle when thinking of Batman artists but looking at his stuff in Knightfall I got to say that he is probably the best underrated Batman artist there is. Jim Aparo is good too but his stuff is a bit more....generic. Like it is fine and his artwork is consistently solid but it doesn't feel unique enough to stand out like Breyfogle does. Aparo feels like watching beautiful people in a drama, while Breyfogle feels like watching beautiful people in a thriller.

One other thing the whole Knighfall arc (and it's follow ups) has got me thinking is about big Batman crossover arcs. Knightfall is seen as very influential in the way it presented a huge storyline with real stakes. I am not too familiar with the follow up arcs in Knightquest outside of a few issues so I can't talk about if those are any good or not. For me though (and full disclosure I have not read all of the issues in the crossover) No Man's Land is probably the best Batman crossover, as it did a smart thing in telling a lot of small stories in a big over arching storyline. The writing was great and there were a lot of awesome character moments (Huntress protecting the guards while getting shot with arrows stands out for me the most).
Bruce Wayne Murderer/Fugitive started strong but the second story arc (Fugitive) was weak as hell, with a terrible conclusion in the end. The Murderer segment felt more cohesive while the Fugitive arc was disjointed as gently caress and the reveal at the end was like a wet fart.
Officer Down was a very well done short crossover (meaning it didn't go on longer than it should have which is great) which had a lot of great character moments as well. It is the spiritual predecessor for Gotham Central and the story line was focused and really well done. I think it clocks in at 6 issues with no tie ins.
I never read War Games so I can't talk for it but I heard bad things about it, which is a shame because the premise on it's own doesn't sound bad.

Outside of the crossovers above, I couldn't really recall any other notable Batman crossovers so let me know if I missed any or of there were any really good ones to check out.

Norm was such a talented guy. His Batman was so powerful and practically kept off the page. After Prime I just wanted to see him do a run on Superman. He should have been a top 10 superstar.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Norm was such a talented guy. His Batman was so powerful and practically kept off the page. After Prime I just wanted to see him do a run on Superman. He should have been a top 10 superstar.

Agreed. Also who did you piss off to get that avatar?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

50s Batman is a desert of content. The few issues that have a super villain based story are a an oasis among the dunes of stories based upon batman's secret identity being stolen or stories based upon batman and robin being hypnotized into the past.

Thank god I have gotten up to the Martian Manhunter stories in Detective Comics. They are not bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Agreed. Also who did you piss off to get that avatar?

Some cowardly homophobe in the TF thread.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's been a while since the "Has DC done something stupid today" clock's been reset, I guess.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's cool that articles keep calling that Batman when if they took two seconds to look up the title and see the cover (or read the solicit text) they'd know that it's an image of a Batwoman.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Impulse bought Tom King's Mister Miracle book the other day. I loved his Omega Men run, sort of liked his work with Vision and have been generally ambivalent on the rest of his poo poo but wow. This book really blew me away. I haven't read comics in ages because I'm tired of being disappointed but what an ambitious story. The art is great, as is the pacing. A book that thoroughly manages to be about family and trauma and how you just ultimately have to live with the ways in which family can let you down as soon as you're born.

I can't recommend it enough. The aesthetics and narration really reminded me of the joy I can find in the medium.

Is it in continuity? Because killing Orion, Granny Goodness, and Darkseid is some ballsy poo poo.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

No, Darkseid and Orion are currently alive in Justice League Odyssey

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

No, Darkseid and Orion are currently alive in Justice League Odyssey

Is Darkseid still a baby?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Skwirl posted:

No.

Edit: Long answer is that he killed Grail by sucking out all of her energy and became an adult and also closing off that plot threead. a two-fer

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Skwirl posted:

How long until Superman revealing his identity is undone?

I honestly think this is the most boring and poorly thought out thing they can do with Superman. Because it doesn't matter at all, but also Clark Kent being Superman is an interesting counterpoint to Bruce Wayne being a thin veneer Batman drapes over himself to pretend to be part of society. I was honesty hoping Bendis would do a gritty Clark Kent Investigative Reporter thing when he came to DC. I have liked his stuff fine so far but it does feel like a missed opportunity.

What does everyone think about the 5G rumors so far? My take is that it could be a good idea, will have some really good books, the sales will drop like a rock on most books (especially the smaller ones), and they will chicken out and undo it before it actually develops into something people can get behind.