Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
free chapo this week is on WeWork :gaz: so that should be good. first episode of SFR's teen fight radio is up too :gaz:

gonna be an okay day at work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Is there any good podcasts on cults? I got bored with LPOTL, but I really liked their episodes on L. Ron Hubbard and Jonestown.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I haven't listened to it, but Heaven's Gate is a podcast about Heaven's Gate people have recommended before

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Goon Danton posted:

I haven't listened to it, but Heaven's Gate is a podcast about Heaven's Gate people have recommended before

the good movie or the good cult?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The cult. I was responding to equeen

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

useful idiots with blumenthal. the interview with him recovers a bit towards the end but jfc, sometimes katie halper needs to shut the gently caress up. she railroads the conversation and interrupts the flow so much, and multiple times she'll ask a question that becomes a long winded statement, blumenthal gets maybe three words of a response out, and then she'll cut him off again. there's a couple of moments where blumenthal sounds like he's struggling to stay polite. taibbi even sounds a tad exasperated after a while. it's weird because while she does love the sound of her own voice, she's normally much better than this. bad week i guess.

still interesting to hear taibbi and blumenthal talk shop tho.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the ad sting for Fall of Rome is, "do you like podcasts? tell someone you know IRL or on social media what your favorite podcast is!"

jeez, this guy's so earnest :allears:

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Shakenbaker posted:

free chapo this week is on WeWork :gaz: so that should be good. first episode of SFR's teen fight radio is up too :gaz:

gonna be an okay day at work

it’s p funny (I’m a big fan of WeWork being a scam, been following Matt Levine’s daily newsletter about it), they follow up with the usual prethanksgiving how to talk to your relatives poo poo and Virgil has some good advice.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Epstein being the "get out of jail free" card for chud relatives is gonna come in handy for me

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The best conspiracy spooky poo poo podcast is called downloading the huge torrent of C2C AM episodes and listening to the master

this is an excellent suggestion and y'all need to get on it. anything from the 90's through like 2003 is absolute gold. art bell had a great voice and was a good interviewer. i'm not much one for ghosts or UFOs but anything involving economics like nafta or the New World Order are so, so good

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The key to dealing with difficult older relatives is to remember that you are an adult and they are the ones acting like children and respond accordingly.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

it’s p funny (I’m a big fan of WeWork being a scam, been following Matt Levine’s daily newsletter about it), they follow up with the usual prethanksgiving how to talk to your relatives poo poo and Virgil has some good advice.

Yeah, I've been following the WeWork thing too and somehow I'd missed that Neuman's wife is Gwyneth Paltrow's cousin and big into kabbalah.

I do feel personally attacked by the ill feelings directed towards St Petersburg though :argh:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Halloween Jack posted:

The key to dealing with difficult older relatives is to remember that you are an adult and they are the ones acting like children and respond accordingly.

you must be great at parties

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

On some other Thanksgiving episode Amber said that one of the things she does one a chud relative gets rowdy is just ask "Why are you ruining our family dinner?" Seems like an alright way to get them to check themselves.

Shakenbaker posted:

Yeah, I've been following the WeWork thing too and somehow I'd missed that Neuman's wife is Gwyneth Paltrow's cousin

I didnt pay attention to WeWork beyond what gets posted in the Doomsday Economics thread and goddamn did the Paltrow connection blow my mind. WeWork is the Goop of landlords

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Shakenbaker posted:

Yeah, I've been following the WeWork thing too and somehow I'd missed that Neuman's wife is Gwyneth Paltrow's cousin and big into kabbalah.

I do feel personally attacked by the ill feelings directed towards St Petersburg though :argh:

I had somehow missed the fact that he is a Barefoot is Legal guy.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
imo it's usually best to steer the conversation away from politics w/ relatives that are more interested in being heard than having a discussion, especially when they interact with politics through TV news and the like.

but, for those who do want to talk, i've found that first talking about my criticisms and disappointment of the dems--from a leftist perspective--is a good way to start things off. sometimes they'll simply agree with me, which opens up the conversation to talking about the left-wing perspective that such a criticism comes from. even when they don't agree, they seem to find me more credible because i'm not just a dem party shill

and, because they tend to think of things in purely partisan terms or like "what [MSNBC/CNN anchor] says about x" vs. "what [right-wing media person] says about x", any opinion outside that binary isn't going to call to mind something they've heard counterarguments to before; you'll be spared the kneejerk responses of half-remembered talking points, and it provides a basis for further discussion

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
So what's up with this?

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1199436868158394381?s=19

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

ah hah hah that's really good.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Adam tried to take a stand against gentrification but instead he accidentally started a race war

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

T-man posted:

you must be great at parties

The wild house party known as thanksgiving

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Shakenbaker posted:

as an Atlanta resident I felt attacked too, was v excited for the 15 city tour of the south that was never going to happen

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

adam was 100% in the right about that place being one of the woke capitalism places that's like "we accept refugees" but then charge way too much and contribute to gentrification

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
not to mention require purchases to use the bathroom and pretend to be a black owned business

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't really recommend the "your entire immediate family died of natural causes years ago" option but it does make holidays simpler and also I never have to find out what my mother would have thought of Trump.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Equeen posted:

Is there any good podcasts on cults? I got bored with LPOTL, but I really liked their episodes on L. Ron Hubbard and Jonestown.

Snap Judgements, on occasion

(the host grew up in a white supremacist cult and tells a lot of stories about it)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shipon posted:

adam was 100% in the right about that place being one of the woke capitalism places that's like "we accept refugees" but then charge way too much and contribute to gentrification

Is there an actual original story here or do you just have to piece it together from tweets vaguely discussing it?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

to be honest, I cannot recommend Snap Judgements except for being astounded at how self-absorbed and misinformed some of the contributors are, and for Evil D, the greatest comic book story the mainstream media don't want you to know

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

i say swears online posted:

this is an excellent suggestion and y'all need to get on it. anything from the 90's through like 2003 is absolute gold. art bell had a great voice and was a good interviewer. i'm not much one for ghosts or UFOs but anything involving economics like nafta or the New World Order are so, so good

you can track one man's quest for Bigfoot over the years

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Shakenbaker posted:

*tosses Aleister Crowley book aside* well that's some weird poo poo *throws Israel Regardie book out of a window*

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

as an Atlanta resident I felt attacked too, was v excited for the 15 city tour of the south that was never going to happen

it's some bullshit. I try to console myself knowing that Street Fight Radio are coming down here next year, but still!

Victory Position posted:

*tosses Aleister Crowley book aside* well that's some weird poo poo *throws Israel Regardie book out of a window*

I really don't know a huge amount about the kabbalah but my brain classes this as a fight between Ozzy Osbourne and Tool, and I'm going to side with Ozzy

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Is there an actual original story here or do you just have to piece it together from tweets vaguely discussing it?
they discussed it on the show, this one gives some screenshots to add on to it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_zVGqbMtd0

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Thanks for the link but that turned out to be boring as hell. I forgot that there's never a reason to care about Cumtown

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Pack it up guys, leftist podcasting is getting CANCELLED

https://twitter.com/erinisaway/status/1199390022677520385

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
can an email inbox even handle the amount of mail that’s about to flood it ?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Gripweed posted:

Thanks for the link but that turned out to be boring as hell. I forgot that there's never a reason to care about Cumtown

The real take away is that Adam's a little bitch for groveling to be allowed back in High High Hopes Coffee

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Shipon posted:

they suck

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nah

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shipon posted:

the detail about the 'neighborhood owned' place being owned by people from Connecticut and how they didnt deny the 'refugees cant even use the bathroom part' was hilarious

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
very normal to react to someone implying your coffee is overpriced by accusing them of being a white supremacist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

AnEdgelord posted:

Epstein being the "get out of jail free" card for chud relatives is gonna come in handy for me

except the opposite, if anything elaborate theories about epstein and his connections to e.g. the clintons and various (((people))) and so on is a way bigger thing among the most rightwing than it is on the left. unless you mean that it is an opportunity to bond over that, in which case knock yourself out.