Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
What's the origin of the use of the Dr. honorific in lucha libre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rujasu posted:

Sure, but they're rare. They might as well say, "The following contest is not a cage match!"

There are half a dozen every night of the week.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gaz-L posted:

My ringside confession is that I kinda like the King Of The Mountain match.

For some reason I think they're actually a lot more entertaining than they should be on paper.

I think its because fundamentally the forced drama of climbing a ladder to get the belt is the same as climbing a ladder with the belt. Its all the same spots and psychology and basically ends the same way. And the penalty box is funny in a mostly intentional way.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
At the end of the day the KOTM is basically mashing up a Texas Deathmatch (you gotta pin a guy before the special win condition triggers) with a ladder match. Like, if the belt was already at the top, I guarantee people would whine way less.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, its objectively dumb so I wouldn't accuse people of "whining". It just somehow works out better than it should.

Its like that time Don Callis introduced the Ultimate X match as inspired by his laundry drying on a clothing line.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

At the end of the day the KOTM is basically mashing up a Texas Deathmatch (you gotta pin a guy before the special win condition triggers) with a ladder match. Like, if the belt was already at the top, I guarantee people would whine way less.

And a penalty box.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

And a penalty box.

Sorry, i should've said it's better than just a combo.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

forkboy84 posted:

When did wrestling fans start repeating "one fall"?

Seems like I stepped away from watching indie wrestling around the time ROH went on HDNet and then came back 5 or 6 years later and you heard it a lot and it seemed a really odd thing to chant along with.

To my knowledge it started during a NXT Taping in Full Sail, they recorded so many episodes and the crowd was getting restless so they just keep echoing the "ONE FALL" at the later part of the recordings, and slowly, that became a thing to the point of the announcer takes a break during takeover events to let the crowd say "ONE FALL"

I like it when paired with a time limit - "the following contest is set for one fall with a twenty minute time limit..."

i think its annoying, but then again most WWE audiences put themselves over because there isn't anything to really do. When I last checked up, "Fandangoing" was a thing.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

The "one fall" chant has been a thing in BritWres long before NXT fans picked it up; I remember the York Hall crowd for those first few Summer Sizzler shows with NJPW would yell it loud and proud before every match.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Pollyanna posted:

Do independent wrestling promotions also scope out storylines and plan matches and stuff? I feel like that would be harder when you are dependent on random indie wrestlers who may or may not be available. Are those matches real?

PWR did a year-long story that was based on the silliest in-joke.

In the pre-show, there is a masked jobber stable named El Consejo de Trabajadores (basically, The Council of Jobbers) who is led by Trabajador Supremo, a wheelchair-bound fat man with mic skills suspiciously similar to a main roster member (spoiler: they're the same person). They claim to "work in the shadows so that those in the light may shine" so you know what they're going for. But there was this Trabajador who dared to win: Quatro. After showing some incredible skills and almost winning his match, Supremo punished him for daring to step into the light by having the rest of the Trabajadors beat him down.

But Trabajador Quatro started to win his pre-show matches. He was just drat good (he has a slick Destino as his finisher). So Supremo decides to personally face him at the promotion's biggest show of the year, (where the light is strongest, casting the deepest shadows), granting him the power to walk and wrestle. In that match, Supremo's might was almost too much for Quatro, who was unmasked, but he managed to scrape a win. After the match, Supremo proclaimed him to be The Lightbringer, The One Destined to Shine, and he graduated to the main show, eventually becoming champion a year later.

One of the most satisfying storylines I've seen, and it was told entirely over the pre-show of an indie promotion!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Why are there heel commentators? It sucks to have hear a bad faith arguments over and over again.

Part of the reason I like AEW commentary is that it's basically a non-partisan focus on making what you're watching entertaining and understandable. (Except JR burying things he doesn't like, but even that feels better than supporting the villain).

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Are there any matches where the stipulation was "Multiple refs at ringside to make sure the heels don't cheat after a ref bump" and if yes how did the heels manage to cheat?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Are there any matches where the stipulation was "Multiple refs at ringside to make sure the heels don't cheat after a ref bump" and if yes how did the heels manage to cheat?

Only thing I can recall immediately is the match where Shane and Daniel Bryan were both reffing the match and kept getting in each other's way and eventually fighting.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

i was at a chikara show in 08 where a finish was blown early on in the night and a visual pinfall happened that wasn't supposed to. the rest of the night would be "this contest is set for one fall..." "TWO FALLS!"

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

fez_machine posted:

Why are there heel commentators? It sucks to have hear a bad faith arguments over and over again.

Part of the reason I like AEW commentary is that it's basically a non-partisan focus on making what you're watching entertaining and understandable. (Except JR burying things he doesn't like, but even that feels better than supporting the villain).

Because Bobby Heenan and Jesse Ventura were goddamn Gods when it came to heel commentary, with Lawler being a distant second (well, third I suppose). And they will be forever trying to recapture that. Heel Cole proved that these endeavors have hitherto been unsuccessful.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Heel Cole would have been fine if he wasn't also the pbp guy. He should have been a manager, imo, after revealing how heelish he could be. Managers are too pro wrasslin', though.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Smoking Crow posted:

ONE FALL! is so bad

it's not as bad as when the wrestlers do a grappling exchange and someone yells WRESTLING! when it's finished

One fall is great. It encourages the crowd to make noise, it's not intrusive like counting ahead of the ref, it's not during the match. It's the perfect 'THE MATCH IS GOING TO START AND YOU ARE PART OF IT' notification to fans.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Heel Michael Cole should have been the anonymous GM. They teased it a few times but didn’t follow through.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

In the pre-show, there is a masked jobber stable named El Consejo de Trabajadores (basically, The Council of Jobbers) who is led by Trabajador Supremo, a wheelchair-bound fat man with mic skills suspiciously similar to a main roster member (spoiler: they're the same person). They claim to "work in the shadows so that those in the light may shine" so you know what they're going for. But there was this Trabajador who dared to win: Quatro. After showing some incredible skills and almost winning his match, Supremo punished him for daring to step into the light by having the rest of the Trabajadors beat him down.

But Trabajador Quatro started to win his pre-show matches. He was just drat good (he has a slick Destino as his finisher). So Supremo decides to personally face him at the promotion's biggest show of the year, (where the light is strongest, casting the deepest shadows), granting him the power to walk and wrestle. In that match, Supremo's might was almost too much for Quatro, who was unmasked, but he managed to scrape a win. After the match, Supremo proclaimed him to be The Lightbringer, The One Destined to Shine, and he graduated to the main show, eventually becoming champion a year later.

One of the most satisfying storylines I've seen, and it was told entirely over the pre-show of an indie promotion!

That fat man is a good friend of mine and wrote this storyline hahaha

Check out his entrance everyone https://youtu.be/xMSWVmJcMYM

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

What's the origin of the use of the Dr. honorific in lucha libre?
In the 50s, the Masked Medics and Medico Asesino cemented the idea of a heel doctor. (I think the idea of a crooked medic who attacks the babyface goes back to the 30s, but I'm not sure.) When Dr. X and Dr. Wagner came around several years later, they left "Doctor" untranslated because they were going for a mad scientist horror movie vibe.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 25, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Schneider Heim posted:

Oh my god

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Web Jew.0 posted:

That fat man is a good friend of mine and wrote this storyline hahaha

Check out his entrance everyone https://youtu.be/xMSWVmJcMYM

me gusta

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm bad with money, so if I want to buy like old NWA/WCW wrestling figures or japanese ones is all just ebay or are there any other good sites that sell them?

(I'm in europe for shipping purposes)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MrBling posted:

I'm bad with money, so if I want to buy like old NWA/WCW wrestling figures or japanese ones is all just ebay or are there any other good sites that sell them?

Highspots for puro guys http://www.highspots.com/c/Japanese-Figures.html

Also https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/new-japan-prowrestling-ultimates-kazuchika-okada-action-figure/sup80670

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 25, 2019

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MrBling posted:

Toudoukan is in Japan and is like the holy grail of wresting shops: https://www.toudoukan.com/@en/

I think they'll ship if you order enough stuff and they're adding new stock literally ever day. Lots of cool finds as far as figures go. When I was visiting for Wrestle Kingdom I got an out-of-box Hayabusa and a still-in-box Minoru Suzuki vs Jushin Liger Pancrase X New Japan set. You'll find many things you don't need and everything you want.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I know it'll be hard to choose because they were all perfect: what is Mr. Perfect's best match?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I know it'll be hard to choose because they were all perfect: what is Mr. Perfect's best match?

vs Butt "The Shitman" Fart at Summerslam

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
CM Punk is the real shitman

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Flair-Perfect Loser Leaves WWF.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

MrBling posted:

You might want to go to your local comic con when it comes around. I've definetly seen old NWA/WCW figures there in the past. 80s toys are always well represented in the dealer halls, though a lot of it is Star Wars. (This was in Belgium)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Since UltraMantis Black adopted his current name, have they ever done an angle with an UltraMantis Red or Gold or whatever?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Halloween Jack posted:

Since UltraMantis Black adopted his current name, have they ever done an angle with an UltraMantis Red or Gold or whatever?

Over a dozen ants, but only one mantis.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
UltraMantis Black also probably has the best shirts going. I can wear them in public and not feel like a wrestleweirdo. Just a regular old weirdo.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Von Linus posted:

One fall is great. It encourages the crowd to make noise, it's not intrusive like counting ahead of the ref, it's not during the match. It's the perfect 'THE MATCH IS GOING TO START AND YOU ARE PART OF IT' notification to fans.

Also a good barometer on how hot a crowd is. I imagine it's useful for the wrestlers to determine if they need to fight to get the crowd back.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
The Rey and Dominic stuff had me thinking, what were the biggest matches (McMahon family aside) that featured parent vs child? Were there any title feuds? Off the top of my head I can think of Paige's family, but not sure what else.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Does OSW ever stop doing slurs/racism/misogyny/rape jokes? I like the videos otherwise and this poo poo is really wearing on my nerves.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Does OSW ever stop doing slurs/racism/misogyny/rape jokes? I like the videos otherwise and this poo poo is really wearing on my nerves.
For the last few videos they seemed to have stopped reflexively saying how hot they think every woman they mention is. So much so I wondered if it was a conscious decision. They're still OSW though.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I think they've gotten better about it over the last couple years. If I had to guess I'd say it was Jay either telling the other two to tone it down or just editing more of that stuff out than he used to.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

spongeh posted:

The Rey and Dominic stuff had me thinking, what were the biggest matches (McMahon family aside) that featured parent vs child? Were there any title feuds? Off the top of my head I can think of Paige's family, but not sure what else.

Can we count any match featuring Yuji Nagata and a Young Lion, since he's their WrestleDad? :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

The Great Kabuki and Great Muta were not actually related but billed as father and son. Things got pretty wild.

https://twitter.com/MrLARIATO/status/952269085601095682