Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

keevo posted:

Do they have a Facebook group? Might be worth trying?

So I went to the facebook group, clicked the support link from their chat bot, it took me to literally the exact same support page (same url and everything.)
I typed in the same thing I've been typing for the last 2 months (it's copypasta'd in a .txt file on my desktop now) and for some reason this time it actually decided to work. :shrug:

Thanks I guess?

e: oh man what a really lovely page snipe.

In other news, they finally made horizontal waveforms work on the Prime 4 with the latest firmware update.

https://www.denondj.com/prime-4-prime4xus

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Tomorrow I'm DJing for a guy who is running in the San Francisco marathon (he's livestreaming it from a GoPro strapped to his chest).

Weirdest DJ gigs, go!

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

nullfunction posted:

Tomorrow I'm DJing for a guy who is running in the San Francisco marathon (he's livestreaming it from a GoPro strapped to his chest).

Weirdest DJ gigs, go!

Please have Gin & Juice cued up for if he runs into a bathroom.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

This is probably a dumb question, but I got a deal on two xdj 1000 mk2s, and while they "fit" in the hard case for my RX, obviously it needs different foam placement to be secure. Is there a specific type of foam I can get somewhere to add in so I don't have to get a another case? Has anyone done anything like this?

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Any foam will do, I’ve moved around little pieces from a bunch of different flight cases. I’ve also used the sticky on back 3M style Velcro to attach different pieces.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I've found camera shops to have bits and off-cuts going for free or negligible amounts.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hoo boy, copying my music over to a new PC. I've culled like 80gig of crap I'm never realistically going to ever listen to or DJ with. That just leaves 141gig of mostly 320s and a stack of wavs to run through.

Then of what's left I need to file through Serato. Wish me luck. :cry:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

On the above, Serato crashed a bunch sorting through the 16,000 odd tracks so I've had to do it in batches.

I've imported my old crates as this says: https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/articles/202305054-Backing-up-and-moving-your-library-to-a-new-computer and I've re-scanned the ID3 tags and then hit the 'relocate lost files' button and it seems to be trying to find files in the locations they were in on my laptop.

Serato themselves are useless so is there an actual way to do this properly or ami I going to have to manually roll through all my crates and add the files that are missing? This should be easy yet somehow Serato has made it so it isn't.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

any recommendations for a cheap pc audio mixer?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

By mixer what do you mean exactly? A DJ mixer you can plug into the PC or a multi channel audio mixer?

Also my above Serato issue. I hassled them on Twitter on Monday and they told me to send an email explaining my issue. So I did. I get a reply back that day asking whether I imported tracks via Itunes (I do not). I tell them this. I've heard nothing since.

When Serato works it's good but I've had so many more issues with it than I ever have done Rekordbox.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

So Serato eventually got back to me "we've been really busy" well yeah, no poo poo. The guy said he wanted to remote into my PC to see what was up but by the time he'd sent this I was already halfway through manually sorting through everything so I told him not to bother but not before telling him what the issue is.

Serato's instructions say to copy over the _Serato_ folder wholesale as this contains your crates etc. So I did. Seeing as this was a new PC build and my music was spread over hundreds of folders and Serato's best practices say "keep the file system as simple as possible so Serato can find stuff quickly" I basically shaved down the folder layout. This is where Serato falls over. In short, the folder you copy over that contains your crates also somewhere contains the file layout of your computer and where tracks are. So unless your folder layout is exactly the same on your new PC, Serato isn't going to be able to find ANYTHING despite you re-scanning all of your tracks and Serato knowing the locations of them. There's a weird disconnect between the software and the database and where it searches so if you click "rescan ID3" it goes off into the old file layout and ignores the thousands of files you've actually scanned in very recently.

I tried the same thing with Rekordbox, I copied over a few hundred files, put them into playlists, moved them into another folder and deleted the original ones entirely. Of course when I click to play on them it can't find them so I right click the file and tell it to scan the new folder and it asks me if I want to find the other missing files too. I click yes and within a minute or so it's found all of them and associated them with the playlists.

Honestly it's such a simple thing that Serato can't do properly... I've always had issues with the software, it constantly misses beatgridding, gives the wrong BPM, says files are corrupt when they play perfectly in everything else. Pitch 'n' Time is nice though I guess and they've added Soundcloud and Tidal options on there but it can't find your files... :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
RIP cue points

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Serato stores cue points and analysis info in the music file itself, thankfully(unless it’s a wav file since those don’t have a place for metadata).

Library management in Serato could really use some work, though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You'd think that would be a good start, right? :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

skull mask mcgee posted:

Serato stores cue points and analysis info in the music file itself, thankfully(unless it’s a wav file since those don’t have a place for metadata).

Library management in Serato could really use some work, though.

I found this out the hard way before I switched to my Denon setup.
I was just using a USB hard drive with a fuckton of WAV files I never converted. It was an SSD used as an archival cold storage backup, so it's not that bad.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I found this out the hard way before I switched to my Denon setup.
I was just using a USB hard drive with a fuckton of WAV files I never converted. It was an SSD used as an archival cold storage backup, so it's not that bad.

I wouldn’t use an SSD for a backup of any sort. SSDs have poor data retention when unpowered.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

skull mask mcgee posted:

I wouldn’t use an SSD for a backup of any sort. SSDs have poor data retention when unpowered.

This is true, but it's not long term storage and it's an Intel Enterprise 3D nand. It's not going to spend years in a drawer, so maybe 'archival' isn't the right word to use.
It's just something to dump files on. I still follow the 3-2-1 rule and this drive isn't part of that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

So I managed to sort out my tracks for the weekend for Serato, took forever but it was worth it. The new version of Serato crashed twice on a completely fresh build containing Serato and virtually nothing else but a stack of music. Nice one guys.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
All I want to say is:

- don't name your playlist like your source folder because you'll misclick eventually and wipe everything
- Traktor 3's way of assigning controls is somehow a lot more sane than 2 unless I misremember, but it could still use the full-screen bigger font treatment with full MIDI learning in the UI itself instead of in a settings menu
- my ideal controller looks way different from anything on the market right now and I'm not sure whether that's a good sign, and now my Numark Mixtrack has white stickers + Sharpie all over it because have different needs damnit

namaste

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

quote:

Thanks for getting back in touch, I apologies for the delayed response. Relocate lost files and the Serato DJ Pro Library is something that we continue to work on, so your feedback is really valued.

When relocating the lost files in Serato DJ the best way is to drag the folder where your files are now stored onto the Relocate lost files button, Essentially this does exactly as you suggest and tells Serato this where your files are and where to look for them rather than scanning the entire computer.

The best way is to drag the music folder onto the lost files button? Just like in your online instructions? :aaaaa: I have to say I never actually tried that a dozen times or more Serato! :jerkbag:

I'm feeling like it maybe a good idea for Serato to maybe search the entire computer though because your _Serato_ folder clearly has some weird database poo poo going on as it's not looking for stuff where it should be.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Annual reminder to not update macOS until your DJ software says it’s ok.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Especially important this time because 32-bit support is being dropped in Catalina.

Probably gonna be a long time before I install this one.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Quick dumb question - I do a couple of podcasts, and I'm starting a new one that will have sound effects. I normally record through voicemeeter into audacity, and I've tried using the voicemeeter macro buttons to key things, but it doesn't really work for me. Is there a good piece of windows software that I can just bring up as a soundeffects hotkey?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
*In the middle of some intense Drumcode/Intec/Terminal M techno set*

Me: Larry Levan's first true love affair remix would probably mix pretty well with this, I should probably drop it in right now.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

algebra testes posted:

*In the middle of some intense Drumcode/Intec/Terminal M techno set*

Me: Larry Levan's first true love affair remix would probably mix pretty well with this, I should probably drop it in right now.

Please tell me you actually followed through on that

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I love it when a DJ's brain is working overtime imagining things that will fit despite not being the flavour of the night. It's what keeps poo poo interesting.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Did you guys give this a shot, by the way: https://github.com/deezer/spleeter/

Acapellas for days.

It's also fairly simple to install if you can follow instructions and aren't afraid of typing poo poo in a commandline.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Pioneer just dropped a new standalone controller and I'm mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iLK2RhDGDY

It's got the only things I feel my XDJ-RX2 lacks: Full-size CDJ jogwheels with the jog adjust gearboxes, and a four-channel mixer that seems to have all the same effects as a DJM900 in the Beat FX section.

It also looks loving enormous. Considering I got the RX2 because I was tired of lugging three roadcases around for my DJM/CDJs, I don't know about this. Obvi, not sure what to expect since it's got the full four-channel mixer section, but the RX2 is big enough that I'm considering adding wheels to its roadcase. This guy might not even fit in some of the DJ booths I play.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Pioneer just dropped a new standalone controller and I'm mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iLK2RhDGDY

It's got the only things I feel my XDJ-RX2 lacks: Full-size CDJ jogwheels with the jog adjust gearboxes, and a four-channel mixer that seems to have all the same effects as a DJM900 in the Beat FX section.

It also looks loving enormous. Considering I got the RX2 because I was tired of lugging three roadcases around for my DJM/CDJs, I don't know about this. Obvi, not sure what to expect since it's got the full four-channel mixer section, but the RX2 is big enough that I'm considering adding wheels to its roadcase. This guy might not even fit in some of the DJ booths I play.

At first I was mad about the new XZ but there's a lot of terrible design decisions.

1) It is only 2 deck standalone. Hell, plugging in 2 extra units on the mixer to use the 4 full channels doesn't work well because they wont show up on the touch screen. The screen also won't work to choose tracks from an external source like a laptop.

2) It's 3 grand and if one part breaks that's it. Compare that with 2 xdjs and a 450 mixer for less and you can swap out one part if it breaks.

All in all it feels rushed to compete with the prime 4 while missing a ton of prime 4 features. And the thing is actually somehow larger than 2 xdjs and a 750.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It must be nice to be able to move as slowly as Pioneer, like they haven't even put the DDJ jog screens into the CDJ/XDJ line yet and they're still selling just fine charging over 2 grand for a CD player.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Hey speaking of Denon,

I just got a shipping confirmation from Fed-ex.
My RMA'd x1800 is on it's way back to me! I'm so excited all over again!

For real though I guess they felt bad for dropping the ball and ignoring my NINE MONTHS OF RELENTLESS EMAILS, CALLS, AND TWEETS asking them to loving respond to one of my RMA requests.
I finally got through to them via my Sweetwater rep, and had 2 Denon Reps call and email me back within an hour of getting off the phone with Sweetwater.

One of the guys I talked to said he would do everything he could to expedite the repair, but :tviv: I did not expect it to get turned around within the week.
I shipped it to them on the 11/16. I got an email it's back in the mail and will be in my hands on 12/3. A 2 week turn around is pretty loving good when you consider half of that is time in transit.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

qirex posted:

It must be nice to be able to move as slowly as Pioneer, like they haven't even put the DDJ jog screens into the CDJ/XDJ line yet and they're still selling just fine charging over 2 grand for a CD player.

Those atrocious busy screens are one of the prime reasons I didnt go for a ddj 1000. I think its hideous and distracting.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
The extra features on all these Pioneer controllers sure make good Youtube videos, but like, who uses them while actually playing out? I never even used most of the features on my VCI-380 and it's like a quarter of the size.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Fenarisk posted:

1) It is only 2 deck standalone. Hell, plugging in 2 extra units on the mixer to use the 4 full channels doesn't work well because they wont show up on the touch screen. The screen also won't work to choose tracks from an external source like a laptop.
2) It's 3 grand and if one part breaks that's it. Compare that with 2 xdjs and a 450 mixer for less and you can swap out one part if it breaks.

TheWevel posted:

The extra features on all these Pioneer controllers sure make good Youtube videos, but like, who uses them while actually playing out? I never even used most of the features on my VCI-380 and it's like a quarter of the size.

These are all excellent points. The fact that it's two-deck standalone is a massive oversight. Also yeah, the more I move to my Pioneer hardware, the less extra features I find myself using - the fact that hotcues actually take a few seconds to load on CDJs is a major piss-off and basically the entire reason I haven't gotten rid of Traktor. The only new feature I'm really utilizing a lot on my set of NXS2s is the touchscreen beatjump to experiment with memory location placement. I'm pretty content with the cigarette boat that is my XDJ-RX2 for playing out, all these things considered.

In related news, the Prophecy crew is giving me a spot on the radio show sometime in the near future, so I'm pre-planning a mix for the first time in about two years. This is the first time I'm not using Traktor to that end (although I might drop the mix in there and go that way instead, to utilize instant-loading hotcues as mentioned above) and while I forgot how rewarding it is to find tracks that just gel together perfectly, I also forgot what a tremendous loving chore it is. I'm pretty comfortable playing out off-the-cuff and only doing this poo poo once every six months, TBH.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Traktor or sale. Not sure if any beginners are lurking but you can do worse than muck around with it as a total newbie.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Hey fellow DJs!

I've never posted in this thread because...well...I guess I mostly hang out in DnD. :shrug:

Anyway, I've been thinking about goofing around with a little music production. Stringing together some beats, loops, sound clips, etc. to (hopefully) make full songs. This wouldn't necessarily be to work into a live set, but maybe as I get more skilled I could eventually work it in down the road(?)

I saw a video for the Roland MC-707, which looks pretty rad, but at $1000 is probably both more than I need and also more than I want to spend.

Is there something similar(ish) that I could start off with to learn? If it matters I have a DJM-909 right now I use for my gigs. I'm an all-vinyl DJ so I don't currently use any DJ software like Serato, Recordbox, etc. I do have access to my regular home laptop to run whatever software however.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

You can get a basic version of Ableton Live for $99 or free with a lot of MIDI controllers(even cheap ones), and that can be a good way to get started without diving head first into hardware.

There are also a lot of groove boxes that are cheaper than the MC-707. The Novation Circuit is a lot of fun and surprisingly powerful, and if you don’t mind going used the older Roland groove boxes are perfectly usable.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah the old Roland grooveboxes are great. Or you could get the Yamaha RM1x, King poo poo of grooveboxes. I wish I never sold mine.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
On the other hand if you are considering an MC-707 they just MASSIVELY improved it's sampling abilities.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBPEb_2y5Dw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

does anyone know of a midi controller that is just 1 platter and a fader? I'm looking for something cheap and/or small I can use just to scratch samples for production stuff, not for anything live.