Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Also, is Obama stupid or oblivious to not realize that trump, bone deep and on a very personal level, HATES him. It is the thing he has probably been the most consistent about in the past decade. He'd literally rather work with North Korea than Obama.

How could Obama not possibly understand that. Does he just have that much belief that their similar class interests would overcome Trump's loathing of him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Helith posted:

Out of interest, why does electoral campaigning in the US take years when other countries have a specific time period of weeks to campaign in before an election?

Since the 1830s, candidates for President have been nominated at their party conventions, typically held the summer before the November election (Though they have taken place as early as April and as late as September, and if I had to guess the timing was in part due to the shitload of time it took to travel to and from the convention, as traveling across the US could still take weeks at that point). Up until the 1960s, the way the conventions would shake down was that state parties would come to the convention, various candidates would be nominated and shot down, and eventually enough backroom deals and handshake agreements would be made for someone generally agreeable to make it through the nominating process (See for instance how Lincoln was nominated on the 3rd ballot of the 1860 RNC over the much more powerful William Seward).

Of course, the problem with selecting candidates at the party conventions in smoke filled back rooms is that's not exactly democratic! But as time passed, many state parties began assigning their convention delegates through primary elections prior to the convention, allowing the people a chance to have their say before being ignored by convention politicking. And as more states implemented primary elections and caucuses, candidates began paying more attention to them, campaigning in these early primary states to increase their chance of being nominated at the summer convention.

Then 1968 rolled around, and poo poo got hosed.

As the year began, everyone assumed that the incumbent President Lyndon Johnson was going to run and win easily. Having taken over as President in 1963 after Kennedy was assassinated, Johnson had utterly steamrolled Republican Barry Goldwater in 1964 and was perhaps the most powerful figure in Democratic party politics. However, as opposition to the Vietnam War grew, so too did opposition to Johnson, and Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota was convinced to run a protest campaign against Johnson. Running on an anti-war platform that was bolstered by the disastrous Tet Offensive in early 1968, McCarthy performed extremely well in the New Hampshire primary, winning 42% of the ballot to Johnson's 49%. Sensing blood in the water, Robert F. Kennedy (JFK's brother, former AG, and prominent critic of Johnson who loathed the man with all his soul) decided to jump in as well—and then in a surprise twist, Johnson decided to call it quits and announced he wouldn't be running for reelection.

Without recounting the entire 1968 campaign, what you need to know is: Hubert Humphery, Johnson's VP, declared, and ran a traditional campaign of collecting endorsements from party bosses and other influential figures that could deliver delegates at the convention, while Kennedy and McCarthy competed in public primary elections (Held only by 13 states at this time). Then, after winning the crucial California primary, Kennedy was shot and killed by a Palestinian activist, throwing the entire process in even more disarray. At the end of it all, Humphery won the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago despite never winning (Or even running in) a single primary election, and the anti-war platform lost in spite of the vast majority of primary voters having cast their ballots for peace candidates. As a result anti-war activists broke out into a massive riot on the streets of Chicago, battling the police force of powerful Democratic party boss and utter son of a bitch Mayor Richard Daley. And after all this, Humphery went and narrowly lost to Nixon, due in part to George Wallace and the Dixiecrats splitting the ballot.

In the aftermath of this debacle, the Democrats reformed the party nomination system to ensure that the voters, not party bosses, would choose the presidential candidate, starting with the Iowa Caucus and New Hampshire primary in the earliest part of the election year. Due to the complexities of running a nationwide campaign across a country as large as the United States, candidates thus begun to declare as early as possible—Jimmy Carter, for instance, declared his candidacy on December 12th, 1974, nearly two years before the 1976 election. Some candidates have declared earlier or later, but generally everyone wants to spend as much time as possible gaining name recognition and building grassroots organizations to ensure success in the primary elections.

So that's why Presidential Elections are so long! Money has played a big part in allowing campaigns to ramp up bigger, faster, and earlier, but the years long campaign cycle is really more due to the mechanics of the party nomination processes, which in turn are due to various reforms and traditions dating back to the early days of the country.

The more you know!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

terrorist ambulance posted:

Also, is Obama stupid or oblivious to not realize that trump, bone deep and on a very personal level, HATES him. It is the thing he has probably been the most consistent about in the past decade. He'd literally rather work with North Korea than Obama.

How could Obama not possibly understand that. Does he just have that much belief that their similar class interests would overcome Trump's loathing of him

lol this. On some level I get that the hating Hillary poo poo is red meat for his base, as obviously he's friends with her/Bill outside of recent years and politics. But dude clearly hates Obama and has for over a decade now. Whether it's more because "president made bad decisions" or "dark skinned secret muslim" is unclear, but still, :cmon:

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
2008's hopium-addicts transitioned through "well I only expected him to be better than Bush" to active scorn, it's kind of amazing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tatsuta Age posted:

lol this. On some level I get that the hating Hillary poo poo is red meat for his base, as obviously he's friends with her/Bill outside of recent years and politics. But dude clearly hates Obama and has for over a decade now. Whether it's more because "president made bad decisions" or "dark skinned secret muslim" is unclear, but still, :cmon:

Trump's number one desire has been for the media to love him and he hates that Obama got that.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tatsuta Age posted:

actually i don't think it's unclear at all whether President Birther's reason for hating Obama is racism

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

eke out posted:

actually i don't think it's unclear at all whether President Birther's reason for hating Obama is racism

well I mean obviously it's mostly racism but is it like 20/80? 60/40? who can say why bad brain man have bad brain

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tatsuta Age posted:

well I mean obviously it's mostly racism but is it like 20/80? 60/40? who can say why bad brain man have bad brain

right, it's mostly racism with a healthy side of jealousy

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

eke out posted:

Racism with a very normal-healthy dash of narcissism I'm sure partly explains the hate-train every prominent black American deals with.

Also

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Imagine how different things might have been had Obama not dunked on Trump at the 2011 Correspondents Dinner.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also this lady is going to launch Chicago right back into the GOP fold when her administration is done.

https://twitter.com/soit_goes/status/1199370452512235525

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

How are u posted:

Yeah maybe a lot of posters are young and don't remember how Obama campaigned hard on uniting Americans, reaching across the aisle, finding common ground, etc.

He promoted a vaguely more left concept of the nation than we had at the time, but it wasn't radical by any means. I think people just forget how utterly dark the time seemed, coming out of Iraq and right in the beginning of the Great Recession.

It also didn't seem that crazy given we were only 6 years from 9/11 and everyone getting behind Bush and figured that the GOP would do the same thing the Dems did if the popular support was there.

Turns out the GOP are amoral bastards who only care about their own power.

In 2019 if you think you can appeal to their better nature you're a fool, but it's not that crazy a concept in 2007.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
While I think of all these criticisms of Obama as valid, I find Politico's reporting on rumors like this to be poo poo and I'll wait until something more substantive comes out. The whole piece is written around "Privately Obama has said something that he denies having said, and even says he'll support who the Democratic candidate is". There isn't even any indication on how close of a source this is to Obama, where they heard it and so on

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Consider that Joe Biden's answer to the GOP is that they will have an "epiphany" when Trump is gone. It is literally magical thinking. That they can still believe in decorum after the past few years is unbelieveable, but what can you expect from out of touch rich men?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
i mean tbf, when Trump loses by 20 million votes, they will have to reevaluate their core strategies

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Imagine how different things might have been had Obama not dunked on Trump at the 2011 Correspondents Dinner.

We’d have a GOP president who wasn’t the world’s biggest idiot and he probably would have passed more tax cuts, gutted more services, and passed one of the awful GOP healthcare plans.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

Consider that Joe Biden's answer to the GOP is that they will have an "epiphany" when Trump is gone. It is literally magical thinking. That they can still believe in decorum after the past few years is unbelieveable, but what can you expect from out of touch rich men?

When Trump is gone, he will be remembered fondly, and lovingly, but there will also be a cadre who pretend the Trump years didn't happen, and that's who Biden thinks will be running the Republican party afterwards is what makes him naive.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

oxsnard posted:

i mean tbf, when Trump loses by 20 million votes, they will have to reevaluate their core strategies

reevaluate their core strategies of "maybe we're not blocking legislation and kneecapping state politics enough", or "maybe we aren't disenfranchising enough blacks", or "maybe we aren't riling up white nationalists enough", take your pick

like, seriously imagining that the GOP is going to pivot anywhere but "we have the courts now, so let's gerrymander harder than ever" if they get curbstomped in 2020 is uh, pretty not in line with historical evidence

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Tatsuta Age posted:

reevaluate their core strategies of "maybe we're not blocking legislation and kneecapping state politics enough", or "maybe we aren't disenfranchising enough blacks", or "maybe we aren't riling up white nationalists enough", take your pick

it's probably more along the lines of "ok, we just need a nazi who at least tries to hide it sometimes"

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

oxsnard posted:

Or they’ll cry voter fraud, pass massive voter suppression bills that make their current efforts look like child’s play, and dare Roberts to stop them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oxsnard posted:

They didn't when they got rinsed in 2008.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Strange Poon posted:

While I think of all these criticisms of Obama as valid, I find Politico's reporting on rumors like this to be poo poo and I'll wait until something more substantive comes out. The whole piece is written around "Privately Obama has said something that he denies having said, and even says he'll support who the Democratic candidate is". There isn't even any indication on how close of a source this is to Obama, where they heard it and so on

lol how did I read the whole article without knowing it was Politico

Yeah I give that quote about Bernie approximately 50/50 odds of having been said

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nonsense posted:

Also this lady is going to launch Chicago right back into the GOP fold when her administration is done.

https://twitter.com/soit_goes/status/1199370452512235525

This is so loving depressing. We desperately need a prominent leftist party...

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The GOP is already in an apartheid mindset - if their current efforts fail on the national stage, the natural solution is to expand their efforts until they achieve success.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Groovelord Neato posted:

They tried for like 6 months (Iol Michael Steele) but then realized that tens of millions of riled up evangelicals and racists weren’t going anywhere for the next decade or two.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

They absolutely did, Trump just went around them to get the nomination. They needed to court Hispanic voters to stay relevant without cheating.

And I'm aware of how much work the last two words are doing in that sentence.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

sure they did. McCain at least attempted to do ~decorum~ and then the tea party happened

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Ague Proof posted:

He said as much.
This oft-referenced quote is taken out of context. The full sentence is "I am new enough on the national political scene that I serve as a blank screen on which people of vastly different political stripes project their own views." The context there is important, it is because he is new, not because being a "blank screen" was something he was attempting to be.

That said, Obama bad.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

There’s a lot of dissent in this thread about how Obama flubbed his presidency and in hindsight was a pretty trash-tier leader. This.. this is exactly the mechanism behind why he was so ineffective. How many policy changes or major legislative victories did he completely flop on because of “decorum.” The Supreme Court is the cherry on top example. Instead of standing up to turtle Mitch he gave in because of “decorum.”

His whole presidency was sabotaged, by himself, because he was/is too weary of looking bad. Can’t believe after 8 years he never learned that he’s the only one hamstrung by that moral compass. Republicans couldn’t care less about decorum.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

axeil posted:

It also didn't seem that crazy given we were only 6 years from 9/11 and everyone getting behind Bush and figured that the GOP would do the same thing the Dems did if the popular support was there.

Turns out the GOP are amoral bastards who only care about their own power.

In 2019 if you think you can appeal to their better nature you're a fool, but it's not that crazy a concept in 2007.

provided you weren't around for 1998, yes

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blind Rasputin posted:

There’s a lot of dissent in this thread about how Obama flubbed his presidency and in hindsight was a pretty trash-tier leader. This.. this is exactly the mechanism behind why he was so ineffective. How many policy changes or major legislative victories did he completely flop on because of “decorum.” The Supreme Court is the cherry on top example. Instead of standing up to turtle Mitch he gave in because of “decorum.”

His whole presidency was sabotaged, by himself, because he was/is too weary of looking bad. Can’t believe after 8 years he never learned that he’s the only one hamstrung by that moral compass. Republicans couldn’t care less about decorum.

He was silent on Russian interference because McConnell threatened to say he was being partisan if he went public with it.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)
I hate white leftist .

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

He was silent on Russian interference because McConnell threatened to say he was being partisan if he went public with it.

I'll give Obama the benefit of the doubt on this one because no one in DC thought Trump stood a chance

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Blind Rasputin posted:

The Supreme Court is the cherry on top example. Instead of standing up to turtle Mitch he gave in because of “decorum.”
Mitch would have been forced to hold hearings if only Obama had....something

I agree with a lot of the criticisms, but this one still doesn't make any sense to me. There wasn't a move to make.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Ice Phisherman posted:

So as someone who enjoys to write and talks about narrative a lot, I'm going to talk about the chosen one narrative.

I swear I'm normally the most chill, non-judgmental, let-people-enjoy-things type person but this post broke me. It's your time and effort to waste and all, but does it seriously not bother you that by the end of the day (if not sooner) the 12 pages/6,000 words you worked on here are going to be lost amid the SomethingAwful maelstrom and nobody is ever going to read it again? Imagine if Marx blew "Capital" on a series of effort posts on various thousands-of-pages long threads on a message board or if "I Have a Dream" were just a Skype conversation Dr. King had with his aunt. Like, there's nothing wrong with masturbating but at a certain point maybe you should become a webcam model if you're going to spend all day on it, know what I mean?

At least start a blog or something even if just for posterity because this is some "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy"-level poo poo. :stare:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1199384652672389127

Youth Opiod summit

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 26, 2019

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

Mitch would have been forced to hold hearings if only Obama had....something

I agree with a lot of the criticisms, but this one still doesn't make any sense to me. There wasn't a move to make.

Yeah this probably seemed like the smart play, providing that Trump getting humiliated in the election came with a few senate wins

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I swear I'm normally the most chill, non-judgmental, let-people-enjoy-things type person but this post broke me. It's your time and effort to waste and all, but does it seriously not bother you that by the end of the day (if not sooner) the 12 pages/6,000 words you worked on here are going to be lost amid the SomethingAwful maelstrom and nobody is ever going to read it again? Imagine if Marx blew "Capital" on a series of effort posts on various thousands-of-pages long threads on a message board or if "I Have a Dream" were just a Skype conversation Dr. King had with his aunt. Like, there's nothing wrong with masturbating but at a certain point maybe you should become a webcam model if you're going to spend all day on it, know what I mean?

At least start a blog or something even if just for posterity because this is some "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy"-level poo poo. :stare:

You just inadvertently (I cannot imagine intentionally) compared his massive posting to Marx and MLK. I get what you're trying to say but that strikes me as a little funny :lol:

e: maybe I'm wrong and ice phish will be one of the defining voices or thinkers of the 21st century.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

oxsnard posted:

Yeah this probably seemed like the smart play, providing that Trump getting humiliated in the election came with a few senate wins

I'm not saying it was smart, I just think a lot of people act like if he had just...not...decorum'd? Then Mitch would have been forced to hold hearings? It's just fiction, Mitch wouldn't have heard a single person that wasn't handpicked by Republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

pkay posted:

I hate white leftist .

we aren't the ones who proclaimed "because Timmy Geithner ran up some bad gambling debts, it is now legal to steal your parents' home," pkay.

it's alright to admit the guy who did that hosed up when he did that. he made some pretty bad mistakes. among which the immigration policy that lead, measurably, to the guy in the White House right now, and the camps in the desert with the shallow graves outside.

he decided he was going to deport all those goddamned mexicans, better than Bush ever could have, to prove dems could be Tough On Immigration. he ordered a tremendous upswell of human misery, all in the name of pragmatically bringing the republicans to the negotiating table.

what happened next.