Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

This is the only game I play where I can legally spread freedom so I actually like having a slave market..it gives me targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The “founder species is on the slave market!” message has always struck me as a little odd. Shouldn’t it be a notification for all citizen species if you’re xenophile?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

3 DONG HORSE posted:

This is the only game I play where I can legally spread freedom so I actually like having a slave market..it gives me targets.
Same. Though I seem to recall any some point the slave market was absolutely annihilating performance, which is too high a price to pay.

If pop growth, empire immigration/emigration, internal resettlement, and genetic engineering all got mooshed into one mechanic then the slave market could probably be turned into an immigration/emigration modifier.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 26, 2019

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

hobbesmaster posted:

The “founder species is on the slave market!” message has always struck me as a little odd. Shouldn’t it be a notification for all citizen species if you’re xenophile?
If you're xenophile all species are probably citizen species.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I love playing slaver empires but never have successfully used the slave market to buy slaves. They tend to get bought up the moment they appear for sale.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Black Pants posted:

I love playing slaver empires but never have successfully used the slave market to buy slaves. They tend to get bought up the moment they appear for sale.

Watch this be the cause of late game slowdowns because every AI empire is checking the slave market every tick.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Watch this be the cause of late game slowdowns because every AI empire is checking the slave market every tick.

Surely this would be happening throughout the entirety of the game though, rather than exclusively during the late-game?
(But yeah, aside from that I definitely agree that it's just another thing on the pile contributing to the game's poor performance...hopefully it improves, but we'll see)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Major Isoor posted:

Surely this would be happening throughout the entirety of the game though, rather than exclusively during the late-game?
(But yeah, aside from that I definitely agree that it's just another thing on the pile contributing to the game's poor performance...hopefully it improves, but we'll see)

Wouldn't happen in early-game, because there's no slave market yet. Middle-game, it could be blocked by the AI having a check "Do we have enough resources to buy a slave / open job slots that slaves can work?" that keeps it from happening as frequently. Late-game, if they're rich and built-up, they could be figuratively looking at the slave market constantly.

In non-monospecies empires, I'd be looking at the slave market frequently, if it didn't tank my performance to have it open and if I actually had a chance of buying every slave. (I've bought plenty, but only, I'm guessing, when the AI didn't want them and so didn't instantly buy them for itself.)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Black Pants posted:

Yeah its absurd and a big gripe of mine because its another 'only-somewhat' realized feature of the game. Its there so they can say its there, but it isnt going to get supported because it is a DLC-only feature of an old DLC.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Racked with guilt trying to remember if I've thrown some ore at an inferior decadent empire to smooth over frosty relations and keep them off my back :psyduck:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ice Fist posted:

This entire conversation is loving weird in the context of a game where I have exterminated entire species and obliterated planets.
I'm sure those species/planets were ideologically incorrect.

It would be really funny if slavery was in fact the source of the slowdown. Would it be possible to disable it and test?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Vavrek posted:

Wouldn't happen in early-game, because there's no slave market yet. Middle-game, it could be blocked by the AI having a check "Do we have enough resources to buy a slave / open job slots that slaves can work?" that keeps it from happening as frequently. Late-game, if they're rich and built-up, they could be figuratively looking at the slave market constantly.

In non-monospecies empires, I'd be looking at the slave market frequently, if it didn't tank my performance to have it open and if I actually had a chance of buying every slave. (I've bought plenty, but only, I'm guessing, when the AI didn't want them and so didn't instantly buy them for itself.)

True, I forgot about the early-game 'no slave market' thing. Although I would've thought those mid-game checks you mentioned would produce the same effect (performance-wise, that is) as it's still something the game is trying to process in addition to everything else - it's just theoretically replacing the 'look for slaves on the market' step Demiurge mentioned.

I definitely agree that there should be a grace-period before the AI buys up on slaves though, as someone else mentioned. I haven't played a slaver empire yet, but it was good to be able to buy+free slave pops in my last game, when I became rich and simply wanted more people on my planets.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

This is on sale, worth buying if I was a huge fan of MOO2 and all Civ games? Also enjoyed HOI4, though it was a little micro-management heavy for me, and am considering Europa Universalis IV but it looks like it just has a ton of DLC Paradox style. If I got this one would it be good with just the Utopia and Annihilation DLC as mentioned in the OP? $27 isn't bad

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tom Tucker posted:

This is on sale, worth buying if I was a huge fan of MOO2 and all Civ games? Also enjoyed HOI4, though it was a little micro-management heavy for me, and am considering Europa Universalis IV but it looks like it just has a ton of DLC Paradox style. If I got this one would it be good with just the Utopia and Annihilation DLC as mentioned in the OP? $27 isn't bad

As someone coming up on 1,000 hours in Stellaris I'd say no. Go play Moo1 and realize what a vastly superior game it is to moo2.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tom Tucker posted:

If HoI4 was too micro heavy for you, I do not think you would like Stellaris. Planetary management is quite a bit more involved than MoO2. I do find it interesting, but it is micro-intense. EU4 is pretty good though there are some essential DLC.... DLC that will probably go on sale soon if it is not already. I'm not sure what your budget is or if you are as interested in mapgames rather than stargames but it can be a ton of fun in its own way.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The first year I recommended Stellaris to a bunch of people based on what I expected it to develop into and now I spend a lot of time apologizing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Best Friends posted:

The first year I recommended Stellaris to a bunch of people based on what I expected it to develop into and now I spend a lot of time apologizing.

That hits a little to close to home

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I don't regret spending money on this game, but I don't think I'll be spending any more.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

wiegieman posted:

I don't regret spending money on this game, but I don't think I'll be spending any more.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Although that being said, I'll probably still get Federations when it gets a discount, since it includes features I've been wanting this whole time. After that though, unless they take some big steps toward improving the game and its performance, that'll probably be it for me, regarding Stellaris. :(

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
So I haven't played Stellaris in like 4 years, dusted it off and started an empire, was doing pretty well (playing on an easy difficulty) get to like mid-game, get into a war, win the war easily but I don't really micromanage my planets.

I hadn't really dealt with the new resources, and you have to gear your economy around them. I was sort of upgrading haphazardly, anyway during the war, despite winning I got into a deficit with consumer goods, and long story short my whole economy ended up in a death spiral when I couldn't get consumer goods positive. Once I got that debuff that lowered my production there was no way I could fix it as far as I could tell.

That's like a really cool mechanic for players I would say, between the crawling speed of play and the fact you have to know ahead of time what all upgraded buildings will do, and understand about habitats.

Nice to see Paradox turned another game into a scenario where you have to spend hours researching and build some spreadsheets so you can plan your poo poo out to tediously micromanage it.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The consumer goods thing tripped me up when I started again recently. You don't have to worry about spreadsheets with them though. If you colonize a planet without any modifiers and you're not doing great on consumer goods then just devote most of that planet to making consumer goods. When you get the buildings which increase consumer goods output (but not input) it takes that planet and boosts it significantly.

Of course the AI never pursues specialized planets like that to begin with and there's nothing to hint that a player should pursue that.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Eh, you find out fast enough when you see a +12% energy building or whatnot. Its not like you can afford to specialize your homeworld when you have 3 systems, so it doesn't come too late.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TTBF posted:

Of course the AI never pursues specialized planets like that to begin with and there's nothing to hint that a player should pursue that.

Yeah this doesn't help. Once I taught my MP friends to specialize properly they got a lot better.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

If you're stuck in a deficit buy a couple of months of consumer goods on the market and that should be enough time to stabilise the situation. Turn off research buildings and other buildings that consume them if you have to.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Planetary management is quite a bit more involved than MoO2. I do find it interesting, but it is micro-intense.

Stellaris planetary management is essentially identical to MoO2's. You wait until the game tells you it's time to build another building, then you look at your options, pick a building and then you wait until the game tells you it's time to build another building. There's no "micro", unless you're toggling jobs or relocating pops, and both of those are things you 100% shouldn't do because you don't have to and it's boring.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DatonKallandor posted:

Stellaris planetary management is essentially identical to MoO2's. You wait until the game tells you it's time to build another building, then you look at your options, pick a building and then you wait until the game tells you it's time to build another building. There's no "micro", unless you're toggling jobs or relocating pops, and both of those are things you 100% shouldn't do because you don't have to and it's boring.
The only reason I said more involved is because the economy is more complicated w/r/t Research, CG, Alloys, Unity, Amenities, and the four District types, PLUS Stability, Crime, and Habitability are factors; MoO2 only has three basic types (Food, Industry, and Research) plus pollution, so managing the planet is therefore easier because there are fewer resources to juggle. On this same page someone was posting about how they went into a CG deficit and it sent their economy down the drain, which is something that essentially cannot happen in MoO2.

pseudanonymous posted:

So I haven't played Stellaris in like 4 years, dusted it off and started an empire, was doing pretty well (playing on an easy difficulty) get to like mid-game, get into a war, win the war easily but I don't really micromanage my planets.

I hadn't really dealt with the new resources, and you have to gear your economy around them. I was sort of upgrading haphazardly, anyway during the war, despite winning I got into a deficit with consumer goods, and long story short my whole economy ended up in a death spiral when I couldn't get consumer goods positive. Once I got that debuff that lowered my production there was no way I could fix it as far as I could tell.

That's like a really cool mechanic for players I would say, between the crawling speed of play and the fact you have to know ahead of time what all upgraded buildings will do, and understand about habitats.

Nice to see Paradox turned another game into a scenario where you have to spend hours researching and build some spreadsheets so you can plan your poo poo out to tediously micromanage it.
One important thing is that the worse the Habitability of a planet for a Pop the more CG upkeep it costs for them to live there. If you conquered a low Habitability planet and moved any of your pops there (the game can do this automatically for you due to the "Land Appropriation" Policy) or did something like Enslave the entire population of pops that were on that planet, conquer pops that have high CG use, or ship some of the pops off so there were open jobs (such as at CG factories on the conquered planet) you could start to have a huge deficit like you described. If you bombarded the planet a lot before you invaded it may also have high Devastation and Crime plus low Stability along with destroyed buildings (such as damaged CG factories) and a ton of unemployed pops that are all consuming CG. When you conquer a planet you have to micromanage it a bit depending on the type of empire you are and what is going on on that planet.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DatonKallandor posted:

Stellaris planetary management is essentially identical to MoO2's. You wait until the game tells you it's time to build another building, then you look at your options, pick a building
This is a good way to end up in a resource spiral FYI.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

wiegieman posted:

I'm at the point where I'll wait for Stellaris 2

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1199697141691760648?s=19

This looks genuinely great - a proper gameplay-changing trait with potentially fascinating impacts. Suspect it'll either be OP or the opposite of OP in practice though; but that's largely fine in my view.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Aethernet posted:

This looks genuinely great - a proper gameplay-changing trait with potentially fascinating impacts. Suspect it'll either be OP or the opposite of OP in practice though; but that's largely fine in my view.

I wonder if they will fix how broken the AI is with habitats. It can't even use them most of the time.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Aethernet posted:

More of this, please Paradox!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a little concerned honestly. I've gushed about the Starborn mod in the past but it's got heavily modified habs to make living in space alone viable. For one thing its starting habitat has a combined mineral and alloy 'planetary scavenger' district which helps offset the fact that you're living in habs (and is much bigger than a regular habitat). More importantly though, you can build mini-habs around any planetary body that are cheap enough to let you start expanding from the beginning and enlarge them over time as you gain more resources and technology. Also while the thing mentions a bonus for hydroponic farms, it doesn't actually mention giving you the tech for it? Maybe that's just an oversight.

I know you start out with three habitats, but that still feels a little cramped when expanding further costs 3000 alloys and 5 years each.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A bonus to mining station production wouldn't go amiss

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I haven't played in a long time but I downloaded it anew this morning. I remember my chief complaints from before being how difficult it was for me to understand the mechanics of space combat, and how every federation/alliance seemed to have one member demanding I do stupid poo poo and growing hostile when I refused.

It looks like an awful lot has changed so perhaps those things have been remedied.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Dick Trauma posted:

It looks like an awful lot has changed so perhaps those things have been remedied.

Nope!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
i don't believe you get the "rejected war" debuff if you let it time out

I also don't see it popping back up with anywhere near the same frequency so that's better

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dick Trauma posted:

I haven't played in a long time but I downloaded it anew this morning. I remember my chief complaints from before being how difficult it was for me to understand the mechanics of space combat, and how every federation/alliance seemed to have one member demanding I do stupid poo poo and growing hostile when I refused.

The latter is getting a major rework. The former... What actually changed in apocalypse?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i mean alliances falling apart because members want different things is WAD

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm going to try to resist installing any mods until I do at least one refresher playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Aethernet posted:

This is the good stuff right here.