Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I wonder if they'll even attempt to have emotional stakes for Rey in her fights agajnst kylo this time

It's not like she's believably in danger from him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

LionArcher posted:

But RJ mentioned Sheev. And if you look at the scope of all 9 movies, palp has been the chief villain. And from a thematic sense, the end of Jedi is the death of the empire by the rebellion, but the Jedi victory is turning Vader back to the light. Vader killing palp to save his son is just the act of him turning good, rather than the key component. So Sheev returning does not take away from the end of ROTJ.

The idea that a story needs an overarching "chief villain" is childish video game logic.

Vader is the villain in the OT, Palps is a replacement anthropomorphic representation for the Empire once Vader's story diverges from it, and Vader killing him, alongside the symbolic destruction of the Death Star II and the Super Star Destroyer, symbolize how Vader's choosing Luke over evil signifies the end of the titular Star War.

Palpy is certainly the villain of the PT, I'll give you that. But in that he's an actual character, whereas if this leak is to be believed he's a secret final boss that the characters have to solve a puzzle to get to in order for them to get the real ending. What internal conflict or broader societal critique is fighting him in this meant to evoke?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

LionArcher posted:

But actually creating? So much harder to do that, and we’ll, and everyone feels so entitled these days that if it isn’t a classic or great, it’s looked down on. And that’s sad.

This is one of the funniest things I’ve ever read

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Retcon the last two movies as just one person's interpretation of what happened, and then someone else tells their story. BOOM! Rashomon in space, Kurosawa you've saved star wars once again.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
With Disney approaching a legit monopoly on big budget filmmaking, we should be so, so, so much more critical of their poo poo than we are now. The new Star Wars and the MCU are both really bad in lots of similar ways, and we're approaching a future where a handful of Disney properties like these are literally all that's available in most theaters.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 26, 2019

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I love TFA and I am looking forward to TRoS but gently caress even I think Palpatine in this is goddamn dumb.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I love TLJ and like TFA and find the constant poo poo posting in this thread tiring like a catty clique of high school jocks circle jerking but that is a whole load of yikes, LionArcher.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Brother Entropy posted:

what looks good about it?

It looks to be a genuinely entertaining and well produced action and adventure trip with a couple of big fun "twists" I'll see coming like the turns on a rollercoaster. Or in other words, a traditional blockbuster calculated for the widest possible appeal. And maybe that's the best and smartest way to wrap up "The Skywalker Saga" after deciding it needed a third trilogy.

That said, I'm calibrating my expectations to Abrams being the director and the volume of people who got vocally upset because they had dumb ideas about TLJ. I genuinely love that movie, warts and all. It's my favorite SW movie. I'd definitely prefer they run with the threads RJ handed them instead of further downplaying Anakin and Luke's victories in RotJ by bringing Palps back.

But on the other hand, getting to see some creaky mechanical Ian McDermott chew scenery will probably be pretty loving cool.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

AccountSupervisor posted:

I love TLJ and like TFA and find the constant poo poo posting in this thread tiring like a catty clique of high school jocks circle jerking but that is a whole load of yikes, LionArcher.

Because I’m pushing back against said circle jerk? And being critical of marvel and Disney as a whole is a different discussion. I would say there’s some overlap though, and the issues that I have with the most recent movies are almost entirely made up of Disney isms

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Yeah Im characterizing the vibe of this thread sometimes but Id never presume these posters have "vile lives" or are entitled and look down on anything new or are gatekeeping or preventing anybody from arguing in favor of the sequels.

There was a decent back and forth debate happening not that many pages ago anyways.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Blast Fantasto posted:

The funny thing about “not having palpatine in this story would be crazy!” is that that line of thinking way more makes sense for Anakin who has a major presence as the fallen hero in the PT and the redeemed villain in the OT and who could conceivably appear in the ST as a full on hero/guiding mentor.

But literally no one would want this because it mean

A. Doubling down on the whole “anakin’s force ghost is a 25 year old man for some reason”
B. Bringing back the person who delivered maybe the single worst acting performance in the entire franchise

can't believe the bastards at disney are refusing to bring back Sebastian Shaw, a man who has been dead for 25 years, as Anakin Skywalker

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Duckula posted:

I feel like if the reaction to TLJ was a lot different we wouldn't be seeing our pal Sheev this time round. They're playing it safe as gently caress.

This has to be obvious to everyone by now right?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

cargohills posted:

can't believe the bastards at disney are refusing to bring back Sebastian Shaw, a man who has been dead for 25 years, as Anakin Skywalker

You act as though Disney hasn’t been graverobbing for these movies

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

AccountSupervisor posted:

Yeah Im characterizing the vibe of this thread sometimes but Id never presume these posters have "vile lives" or are entitled and look down on anything new or are gatekeeping or preventing anybody from arguing in favor of the sequels.

There was a decent back and forth debate happening not that many pages ago anyways.

Fair enough. However, I never said they had vile lives, I’m just questioning the toxic fandom (which is present in this thread ). The poster after you said they’re “playing it safe” and I don’t really know what that means. I mean, I assume it means their telling a classic story of good vs evil, because when they did something odd last time around (while still continuing that story, just a little weirdly) a small but vocal part of the fandom threw a temper tantrum, and harassed members of the cast. In this thread, I do see a few people be critical stating “I didn’t like this or that”. That’s fair criticism. Stating “it was bad” is lovely criticism, because it’s being stated as fact when all art is subjective, especially when these films are held under a bizarre standard when they are in fact films made for the whole family, and not just white guys who haven’t let go of Luke skywalker as their savor.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Have Kylo and Rey see Anakin at the same time. Rey sees Hayden Christiansen and Kylo sees Darth Vader voiced by Jones.

You see a force ghost how you want to see it. Kylo wants to see Vader because of his obsession with the legacy of darkness and Rey wants to see Hayden because she mad horny

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Vintersorg posted:

Here's some knights.

The designs here are real bad even by Star Wars standards. Good thing these dudes are only gonna be in the movie for 8 minutes total.

TRoS looks real ho-hum and I honestly don't feel confident in Abrams' ability to deliver something even entertaining or interesting at this point. Every new thing they release about the movie just looks bland.

Polo-Rican posted:

With Disney approaching a legit monopoly on big budget filmmaking, we should be so, so, so much more critical of their poo poo than we are now. The new Star Wars and the MCU are both really bad in lots of similar ways, and we're approaching a future where a handful of Disney properties like these are literally all that's available in most theaters.

Objectively true, but good luck getting people to see that.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 26, 2019

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

cargohills posted:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Boy, there’s a lot of people in here who don’t seem to like Star Wars very much, talking about Star Wars? Have any of you thought about talking about things you like?

Welcome to The Something Awful Forums where people who don't actually like Star Wars constantly post in threads about Star Wars.

At this point, I'm starting to think the well was tainted back during TPM and now many vocal goons just can't help themselves.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's foolhardy to generalize all 10+ of the forums star wars threads, they all have notably different equilibrium opinions. For the CD threads there's a pretty major prequel liker constituency

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
This thread is about Star Wars, and TFA and TLJ were lovely. That’s not an opinion that’s just the reality of the situation we’re in right now. They’re lovely Movies. If you like them that’s fine but until and unless we can acknowledge the simple facts of the case it’s hard to have a productive discussion.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

porfiria posted:

This thread is about Star Wars, and TFA and TLJ were lovely. That’s not an opinion that’s just the reality of the situation we’re in right now. They’re lovely Movies. If you like them that’s fine but until and unless we can acknowledge the simple facts of the case it’s hard to have a productive discussion.

That’s your opinion, not a fact.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Even the sequel likers are represented in the forums star wars melange albeit mostly exiled to their redoubt in the book barn

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

porfiria posted:

Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

porfiria posted:

I understand that many people's vision went red when Luke threw their metaphorical childhoods off a cliff and thus they weren't able to see the rest of the movie, but those of us with functioning eyes know that TLJ is objectively the best. :colbert:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

porfiria posted:

Let me help you: TFA and TLJ were lovely TO YOU.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What are the TV IV threads like. I haven't and don't want to read them but I would like to add information about the sentiments therein to my assessment of the status of forums star wars discussion

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

LionArcher, if criticizing things is mean and creatively bankrupt, why are you criticizing our posts?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

PeterWeller posted:

I understand that many people's vision went red when Luke threw their metaphorical childhoods off a cliff and thus they weren't able to see the rest of the movie, but those of us with functioning eyes know that TLJ is objectively the best. :colbert:

The biggest problem with TLJ is it didn’t poo poo on Star Wars enough.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

porfiria posted:

The biggest problem with TLJ is it didn’t poo poo on Star Wars enough.

"Rian, you were meant to destroy the franchise, not join it!"

E: really, my biggest problem with this assessment is that it tacitly agrees with the CHUDs' feelings about the film.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

PeterWeller posted:

"Rian, you were meant to destroy the franchise, not join it!"

E: really, my biggest problem with this assessment is that it tacitly agrees with the CHUDs' feelings about the film.

All right: the biggest problem with TLJ is its deep-seated political conservatism.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Luke: Why did you tell me Vader killed my father?
Obi-Wan: Yeah that's my bad

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

porfiria posted:

All right: the biggest problem with TLJ is its deep-seated political conservatism.

Excuse me, I think you'll find that the movies are exclusively about ancient military cultures in galaxies far far away. Any further extrapolation is "hating".

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

porfiria posted:

But the lady who looks like a gender studies professor yells at the guy whose skin isn't too dark for me to comfortably identify with!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

For good or for ill, there has been no clearer illustration of the psychology of the hillary man put to film than star wars 8. It may be a dire film but in this respect it is unquestionably a significant historical artifact

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's a movie whose context is supposedly informed by the prequels and yet there's no worn down Leia going "Maybe our aristocratic parliamentary system that enthusiastically voted for the Empire is bad, time to end the Republic".

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LionArcher posted:

That’s your opinion, not a fact.

All the Disney films have objectively terrible editing.

Other things, like the music, are more subjectively bad.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

YaketySass posted:

It's a movie whose context is supposedly informed by the prequels and yet there's no worn down Leia going "Maybe our aristocratic parliamentary system that enthusiastically voted for the Empire is bad, time to end the Republic".

To be fair to her, by the time TLJ begins, the Republic is already gone again, and she seems a lot more comfortable as the leader of an insurgency. So comfortable, in fact, that she busts out her most fabulous gowns and coats.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Leia's blithe, smug assertion that she, someone who can barely walk or speak, has everything she needs to restore herself to power- after ~99.99% of her forces have been killed and the entire galaxy has been conquered by nazis- will remain the most perfect and crystalline expression of a particular political moment

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One thing TLJ explicitly got right: Nien Nunb survived. Gotta love that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

pospysyl posted:

LionArcher, if criticizing things is mean and creatively bankrupt, why are you criticizing our posts?

No, blindly criticizing art (without context) is what I’m taking about.