Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Hobo Clown posted:

Ron Perlman as resurrected Canderous Ordo

You’re looking for Josh Brolin’s Cable in Deadpool 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Hobo Clown posted:

Ron Perlman as resurrected Canderous Ordo

I can only get so erect.

Hazo posted:

You’re looking for Josh Brolin’s Cable in Deadpool 2.

I stand corrected.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Ron Perlman as Cad Bane, since Cad Bane was literally based on Lee Van Cleef.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Disney has no qualms about letting the dead rest. Just have Lee van cleef as Gee Tan Bleef the bounty hunter

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

hosed up news

https://twitter.com/breznican/status/1199385462747516928?s=12

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

in the disney merchandising dept board room:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk1cVFZyII0

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Literally every legit news source was reporting the opposite as of yesterday

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Merchandise =/= Toys necessarily.

Shirts, and other easily printed stuff will be coming out within the next few weeks.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pez posted:

Literally every legit news source was reporting the opposite as of yesterday

Vanity Fair is a legit news source.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Noirex posted:

welp, I guess my Christmas gift list is made whether they like the Mando or not :3:

I'm ashamed to say I never knew who Herzog was before this show and now my life is richer with him in it.

Do yourself a favor and watch as many of these as you can. Herzog is an absolute top tier legendary director who has made some absolutely fantastic films that are unlike anything. Hes one of the most unique voices in cinema and has veen for almost 40 years. He also has absolutely no hang ups about selling out occasionally to do some commercial work I.E. in 2012 he did a series of short docs about The Killers for American Express lol. Hes a loving gem of an artist.

Narratives:

Aguirre the Wrath of God
Stroszek
Fitzcarraldo
Nosferatu
Cobra Verde
The Engima of Kaspar Hauser

And if weird German cinema isnt your thing
these are his good modern American narratives:

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
Rescue Dawn(based off his documentary on the same story)

Documentaries:

Grizzly Man
Encounters at the End of the World
Cave of Forgotten Dreams
Lessons of Darkness
Little Dieter Needs to Fly
Into the Abyss
Lo and Behold
My Best Fiend

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Tbh I appreciate they put off making merch to keep it a surprise for the show. You know someone would've figured out the character existed and spoiled the surprise and someone somewhere in the chain of command said "we don't care if we get the holiday baby Yoda money"

In the world of Star Wars and Disney its admirable

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Fitzcarraldo and Aguirre are such great loving movies. Burden of dreams, a documentary about the making of fitzcarraldo (and the origin of the famous “overwhelming and collective murder” quote), is also amazing and available on YouTube iirc.

It should be noted Kinski was a monster though.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Even if you're looking over that list and thinking "that looks like a bunch of art house bullshit I'll never find time to watch," I absolutely must implore you to see Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans. They took a script written by some guy who mostly does Law & Order episodes and gave it to Werner Herzog, who in turn told Nicolas Cage to just do what was in his heart, and it ended up as one of the wackiest, most confoundingly brilliant crime films of the decade. It's a series of bizarre stylistic decisions that somehow all fit together into something weird and wonderful. I would post a YouTube clip but there are too many to pick the best one.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Weedle posted:

Even if you're looking over that list and thinking "that looks like a bunch of art house bullshit I'll never find time to watch," I absolutely must implore you to see Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans. They took a script written by some guy who mostly does Law & Order episodes and gave it to Werner Herzog, who in turn told Nicolas Cage to just do what was in his heart, and it ended up as one of the wackiest, most confoundingly brilliant crime films of the decade. It's a series of bizarre stylistic decisions that somehow all fit together into something weird and wonderful. I would post a YouTube clip but there are too many to pick the best one.

Gun to my head (heh) it would be "His soul's still dancing!"

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Starks posted:

Fitzcarraldo and Aguirre are such great loving movies. Burden of dreams, a documentary about the making of fitzcarraldo (and the origin of the famous “overwhelming and collective murder” quote), is also amazing and available on YouTube iirc.

It should be noted Kinski was a monster though.

To be fair, Herzog pulled a gun on Kinski on set and threarened to kill Kinski and himself if he walked off and at one point also tried to set Kinskis house on fire and was only stopped by Kinskis dog. Not that Kinski didnt try to get revenge and wasnt a maniac himself.

It blows my mind this could even be considered on topic for a Star Wars thread btw.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 26, 2019

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

If they're really interested in shoving EU stuff back into canon, can the Mando ride a basilisk war droid? Those things were so stupid in the best way. And, it would be another toy they could churn out.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Gun to my head (heh) it would be "His soul's still dancing!"

He scored a TOUCHDOWN!

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Awesome list, thanks! I'll definitely try to watch them, love to discover new foreign movies. I vaguely remember watching Port of Call New Orleans tbh but it seemed like a fever dream? Anyway, he seems like an amazing person and it's very cool to discover such a talented individual that ppl are so passionate about in a SW show of all things.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Noirex posted:

I vaguely remember watching Port of Call New Orleans tbh but it seemed like a fever dream?

This accurately describes the experience of watching it TBH.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

AccountSupervisor posted:

To be fair, Herzog pulled a gun on Kinski on set and threarened to kill Kinski and himself if he walked off and at one point also tried to set Kinskis house on fire and was only stopped by Kinskis dog. Not that Kinski didnt try to get revenge and wasnt a maniac himself.

It blows my mind this could even be considered on topic for a Star Wars thread btw.

Germans, amiright?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Just got a notice from the Disney store about Baby Yoda merch. Look at the amazing stuff... totally not slapped together at the last minute.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 26, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I genuinely cannot comprehend how not a single person in the production saw baby yoda and didn’t immediately go “we gotta merchandise the gently caress out of this cute little loving thing” and have a ton of stuff ready to go for the holidays.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I genuinely cannot comprehend how not a single person in the production saw baby yoda and didn’t immediately go “we gotta merchandise the gently caress out of this cute little loving thing” and have a ton of stuff ready to go for the holidays.

i think half of it is they didn't want babby to leak before the premiere, but also disney has historically not always been quick to recognize when something will be really popular in advance

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Jon Favreau apparently asked them not to merch him ahead of time so it would have more impact when people saw the first episode

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Crusader posted:

i think half of it is they didn't want babby to leak before the premiere, but also disney has historically not always been quick to recognize when something will be really popular in advance

See: mutant toys from the original Toy Story.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Pez posted:

Jon Favreau apparently asked them not to merch him ahead of time so it would have more impact when people saw the first episode

It's honestly pretty wild that he's got enough clout with Disney that he can ask them to give up millions of dollars in Christmas season toy sales for the sake of creative direction

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Put this on a T Shirt so I can wear it Thanksgiving dinner.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I read Baby Yoda's line in Wener Herzog's voice

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
That's because he's Baby Yoda's dad, this whole thing is a custody battle.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Hope the attachment works... This is the way.

(mate of mine drew this, not me)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 27, 2019

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coohoolin posted:

A scrunt?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Coohoolin posted:

THIS IS DA WAAAAAY.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Hobo Clown posted:

It's honestly pretty wild that he's got enough clout with Disney that he can ask them to give up millions of dollars in Christmas season toy sales for the sake of creative direction

Favreau basically jump-started the MCU with the Iron Man movies. Figure they're hoping he can do something similar with Star Wars, so they don't want to piss him off.

Also, figure getting a baby Yoda doll for a parent is at this point on the same level as scoring smack is for a junkie. If they sell it, they will come.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Fly Molo posted:

A scrunt?

not enough poo poo smeared on them

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

I’m insanely jealous of the people ITT just discovering Werner Herzog.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Could listen to Werner Herzog talk all day, I wish he had more time to speak. He seems so opened minded and down to earth even with his legendary director status, just sitting awkwardly as everyone speaks of their tremendous respect for him. They all look like a team of genuinely passionate people coming together for this series which is cool to see. I really want to know what they mean by Herzog moving an entire steamship over a mountain though.

https://youtu.be/fIsO_Wfxczw?t=1396

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I have a lot more appreciation now for the Paul F Tompkins Herzog appearances on Comedy Bang Bang and I'm almost certainly going to listen to them again during my annual Thanksgiving road trip this week.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Noirex posted:

I really want to know what they mean by Herzog moving an entire steamship over a mountain though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitzcarraldo

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I'm like 90% positive the twist is gonna be that it's not Yoda. Great show so far though. I was not expecting it to be this good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Eat The Rich posted:

I'm like 90% positive the twist is gonna be that it's not Yoda. Great show so far though. I was not expecting it to be this good.

This takes place after Return of the Jedi so it’s definitely not Yoda