Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug
Coming in to this game not really expecting it to be good is helping with my enjoyment greatly.

I think it's the best singleplayer-focused Star Wars game since the KOTORs.

Saber duels are so good, I wish there was like a holodeck thing where you could set up fights and go to town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A DLC that's just a boss rush of saber battles would be extremely my jam

I finally got to the point where I can have a pink light saber :neckbeard:

It took me far too long to realize that Dathomir is an origin story for Darth Maul

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

As much as I agree that this felt 85% finished, the amount of enjoyment I got out of the game relative to the extreme skepticism I felt towards the initial gameplay reveal is insanely high. An overall solid game that occasionally flirts with greatness. A decent Star Wars story combined with B+ takes on Sekiro, Zelda, and Uncharted that is greater than the sum of its parts.

Play on Grandmaster.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the reason I like the game so much, and maybe this is true for others, is that we just don't get this kind of game anymore. It captures the feel of things like Legacy of Kain, Drakan, Primal, etc. All those explory games that used to be in vogue in the PS1/2 era

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

precision posted:

I think the reason I like the game so much, and maybe this is true for others, is that we just don't get this kind of game anymore. It captures the feel of things like Legacy of Kain, Drakan, Primal, etc. All those explory games that used to be in vogue in the PS1/2 era

It's pretty much Tomb Raider With Lightsabers though, play those or Dad of War for a very similar explore + fight experience.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's pretty much Tomb Raider With Lightsabers though, play those or Dad of War for a very similar explore + fight experience.

Well yeah it has some of that too, but I think it's intentionally going back to the games that inspired those. The original Tomb Raider games are why we got things like Legacy of Kain after all

Like, there are similarities to Dad of Boy, but that game doesn't have the open sprawling feel to the environments. I never felt at risk of getting lost in in that game, despite it having a much less helpful map, for instance.

It's an overall gamefeel thing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

precision posted:

Well yeah it has some of that too, but I think it's intentionally going back to the games that inspired those. The original Tomb Raider games are why we got things like Legacy of Kain after all

Like, there are similarities to Dad of Boy, but that game doesn't have the open sprawling feel to the environments. I never felt at risk of getting lost in in that game, despite it having a much less helpful map, for instance.

It's an overall gamefeel thing

That's fair, it's pretty subjective. I guess for me it just felt like an exact rip of what I felt from those, without any need to go back further (not a complaint [except for those drat slide sections])

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was expecting this to be a God of War clone, and when I got the "throw lightsaber" ability I was like lol

But then I remembered that "throw lightsaber" has been a staple of like, every game where you play as a Jedi

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Does anyone else find some of the platforming pretty janky or am I just bad at it?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Dreylad posted:

Does anyone else find some of the platforming pretty janky or am I just bad at it?

It's janky as hell. You just have to live with the game's rough edges a bit. Admittedly I've been spoiled by games the last 24 months so it really bothered me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dreylad posted:

The character's hit detection boxes are wonky yeah. Like he's bigger than his model sort of. And in the sliding segments there's a lot of clipping through stuff. It's my only real complaint.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

JBP posted:

I hope they make a sequel to this and it's good.

i assume they will, i am pretty sure the game sold well and EA is desperate for a critical hit star wars game.

Dreylad posted:

Cal's response to Vader telling him it would be wise for him to surrender with a "Probably." did more for his character than most of the rest of the game. Better late than never I guess!

i liked cal, he isn't amazing but i genuinly like how earnest he is and how he is slowly dealing with his trauma and how he tries to help his friends with theirs.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Just finished, ended the game at low HP and it did the throbbing low health thing over the credits lol

Overall, very good. The last like 1/4 in particular when the story stuff finally picks up is great. Wish Merrin in particular had been around for more of the game. Definitely feels like some stuff got cut, like when I got an achievement for Recruiting All The Crew Members ??. The finale was excellent and I'm glad it ended the way it did

Cons:

The poncho is kinda ugly and while I enjoyed hunting for chests for the most part, it needed more outfits or at least like any good cosmetics at all
They really backloaded most of the interesting characters and characterization; the cast finally comes together and is likable and then you immediately go to the finale

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

precision posted:

And in the sliding segments there's a lot of clipping through stuff. It's my only real complaint.

The edges of the slides seemed magnetic. Even when it was straight I could veer off in one direction never to return, and curves were a coinflip. Sometimes you take the turn too sharp and go off the inside, sometimes you're holding into the turn but keep moving sideways off the outer edge.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Finished the game and had a blast. That last part was rad as hell. Overall I'd give it an 7.5/10 would definitely play another. Only complaints are what's already been stated many times. It feels a lot like it could have done with another few months in the oven. It seems like there wass supposed to be more of an uncharted-feel to the game? Like parts of the game are outright missing. But I still managed to have a lot of fun. Merrin is definitely bae.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Some points I'd like to make after reading a few posts:

Supposedly there *is* a way to make settings go on low as per pcgamingwiki through the menu but I haven't managed. (PC settings have medium as the lowest accessable setting).

As much as I like the game I don't think it would have been GOTY material within 6 months of more dev time. We're missing bunch of scenes and character development for it all to make sense and there are some bad design decisions wrt out-of-camera attacks and how the camera functions in general. Especially coupled with unblockable attacks with sound cues but varying time-to-hit/to dodge.

As for asset loading and performance I'll admit I have an ageing PC but there are egregious performance issues where it doesn't make any sense. Dathomir final boss fight had constant frame drops. The game would decide to suddenly have 3 minute loading times off a SSD. On Dathomir near the double rope jump with the meditation spot, just before the door leading to the area which requires double jump to continue I had consistent asset loading issues on multiple respawns. That point has one melee enemy and two ranged ones and the melee one would run in/spawn in with t-pose, I'd have frame drops, music would break and the ranged enemies would spawn late, and melee enemy's AI would break if I backed to the meditation spot. I had to actively change my playstyle especially during this sequence just to alleviate the technical issues. And all of this running off a SSD. No weird background software was running at the same time either.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This game would have been a full letter grade higher for me if we’d just had Dad of War’s Axe throw/retrieval mechanic

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

This game would have been a full letter grade higher for me if we’d just had Dad of War’s Axe throw/retrieval mechanic

I was gonna make a joke about having a dedicated "yell at small child" button too, but I guess it's most of the way there already.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was gonna make a joke about having a dedicated "yell at small child" button too, but I guess it's most of the way there already.

Talk to Droid button is superior to Yell at Boy button.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 26, 2019

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Finished it yesterday. Wish the game was more clear about you being able to continue playing after you’re done.

If you choose “continue journey” it loads your game into the Mantis just before going to the last area (and makes that area unavailable).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Just got the Double Jump and defeated the boss after it. Soon to head back to Dathomir and continue where I encountered an obstacle that prevented my early wanderings. As an adult with lots going on I often can only play a couple hours at a time but still think this is the best single player Star War since TFU and probably surpasses it.

It's probably because I've never played the games it's cribbed from, but the traversal is honestly satisfying to me, especially when they start stacking up using the different traversal skills (swing into wall run into double jump type stuff). I like that if you flub a jump it just starts you from the last platform so if you misread what you're supposed to be doing doesn't get annoyingly frustrating by taking you back to a meditation point or whatever.

I also appreciate the semiotics of clearly showing what traversal modes work on a given surface/area with the texture but the art direction being clever enough that it reads but is still unobtrusive and doesn't detract from the "set design" even when it's a completely new environment.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you enjoy this gameplay at all and haven’t played it yet you need to play God of War

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Bust Rodd posted:

If you enjoy this gameplay at all and haven’t played it yet you need to play God of War

The next game should be the Mandalorian and you get a baby yoda instead of BD or BOY.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Mandalorian tv show already has a more interesting level/power up system than this game.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Probably because I've never played the games it's cribbed from, but the traversal is honestly satisfying to me, especially when they start stacking up using the different traversal skills (swing into wall run into double jump type stuff). I like that if you flub a jump it just starts you from the last platform so if you misread what you're supposed to be doing doesn't get annoyingly frustrating by taking you back to a meditation point or whatever.

I also appreciate the semiotics of clearly showing what traversal modes work on a given surface/area with the texture but the art direction being clever enough that it reads but is still unobtrusive and doesn't detract from the "set design" even when it's a completely new environment.

I agree with you.

But at the same time, it felt like someone at Respawn came up with this really cool animation of Cal squeezing through a narrow crack with BD-1 getting out of his way and Cal having to slide through or duck down under especially small spaces. Then someone in charge was like, "I love it, use that to transition players between all sorts of locations" and that's how you end up moving between areas when you're not slipping and sliding on every planet instead of using the fun platforming the game sets us up for.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I thought the cracks were to help hide loading, maybe I'm mistaken.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah that's what they're for. They're just incredibly common in this game compared to TR or GOW.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really like that Cal is not some super special overly angry rear end in a top hat who is always 5 seconds away from falling to the dark side. He's a good guy who has been through a lot of poo poo and his biggest issue is self confidence and fear of letting down others.

It is infinitely more appealing to me than yet another grey Jedi jagoff who is defined by being edgy enough to electrocute people without repercussions.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I really like that Cal is not some super special overly angry rear end in a top hat who is always 5 seconds away from falling to the dark side. He's a good guy who has been through a lot of poo poo and his biggest issue is self confidence and fear of letting down others.

It is infinitely more appealing to me than yet another grey Jedi jagoff who is defined by being edgy enough to electrocute people without repercussions.

This is exactly what will happen in the sequel when they need to expand force powers

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

JBP posted:

This is exactly what will happen in the sequel when they need to expand force powers

Nah they've already given themselves an out with Merrin, Cal can learn magicks instead of the traditional dark side powers

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

All I want in the sequel is the added ability to force project myself so I can be all "j/k, nerd :smug:" when someone hits me in a fight.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

ImpAtom posted:

it is refreshing to straight up murder people and throw them off cliffs without becoming a whiny dark side goofball

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well it was a good way of hiding them in that case since I didn't even realize.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

I don't know. They still have a well of untouched stuff still. Mind Trick is one of the big ones, as is super speed plus improvements to the other skills.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Bloodplay it again posted:

Audio should not be overlooked. The soundtrack and sound effects are excellent. BD-1 has the best droid sounds since the original trilogy. Might also be the first time I've heard a piece of music and mistakenly thought it was scored by Williams. Good, good stuff all around. Makes me with I had a better audio setup.

Technical and length issues aside, Fallen Order is a great game and I'm glad Respawn managed to deliver. Sucks that it's UE4 and runs like rear end on spinning drives. Pouring a ruby bliel for my homies on HDDs.[/spoiler]

The sound design and mastering is fantastic. Even with a somewhat decent but still not high end stereo setup it was always great balanced and dynamic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the music and sound design are loving phenomenal. The animators who worked on BD also deserve mega credit because he is the cutest lil robbit ever

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AndyElusive posted:

Well it was a good way of hiding them in that case since I didn't even realize.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to speed up or slow down the shimmying as necessary for loading without it being obvious. At least, not obvious for my decent-but-old computer, no clue how it works on a potato.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Just finished. This was an honest to god fun game. Can echo the complaints everyone had, too many sliding/squeezing sequences, buggy as gently caress, lame collectibles/customization, abrupt ending, generally feels like release date hit too soon — but gently caress it all, this is the first Star Wars game in a long long time where the basic gameplay loop is simply fun. a nicely told story too: I was pleasantly surprised by all the Clone Wars deep cuts, and to see Avellone’s name in the credits. Great look and sound, bringing in a bunch of new stuff while still looking very recognizably Star Wars. Hope it gets a sequel.

It really is surprisingly buggy though, and in some places more than others. T-posing enemies at Brothers Bastion seems to be a pretty universal experience, but I also had consistent texture pop-in on the Mantis, and the whole escape sequence at the end turned into a comedy of errors — I got stuck in the floor right out of the cutscene, then choked to death, respawned, then got choked to death again before I finished respawning, then when I got on the elevator, clicking the database update prompt made me fall through the elevator to my death and respawn in mid air repeatedly...I’m more willing to excuse jank than I am to play a game that locks you down too hard for you to ever experience it, but surely a bit more QA could have been done on the climax of the game.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The only bug I experienced was when I hyperspaced to the inquisitors planet and the Moon or planet hyperspaced in a few seconds after the Mantis arrived lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Managed to snag some ultra rare trophies on PS4. I don’t know if I’ll ever manage the one where you defeat someone with kicks only because inevitably I slash with my lightsaber.