Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I've never understood why companies go so hard on the "you can't talk to other people about what you make, it's a SECRET!"

Like it must work and stop some people from doing it, but I'll never understand why that is.
It very much works. Corporate fuckfaces have been pushing the cultural message that people shouldn't talk about pay or benefits (even though the NLRA explicitly protects that right for the vast, vast majority of employees). We had a dust-up about that in here (or one of the other IT threads) not too terribly long ago.

Talk about your pay with your coworkers. Not doing it only benefits your employers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I asked someone for a 2 sentence update on a project for a report I am writing. Instead I got a paragraph back about how they are busy.
By the time they said all that, they could have just sent the update!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It means they feel guilty they didn't do more and are covering their as.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
nah - I now have the update. It is way over detailed for the audience this report goes to so I think he is one of those IT people that think someone is going to care about his vlan configuration or whatever

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I have definitely taken time for updates to instead push back on my team lead that I shouldn't be writing all his updates. Sure, I could have just done it. But then next week he'll want another, and then two a week, then four because it's just so easy to ask me for the update instead of staying on top of our team's projects.

I'm not about to allow myself to become the 'update guy' while he copies and pastes my responses to management and beams when they tell him he's doing great as team lead. He's fully capable of doing his job on his own while I do mine.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
poo poo that pisses me off daily, our god drat useless security manager. All he gives a poo poo about is checking boxes to meet iso/sox compliance without any regard for the impact he’s having on the other teams.

The latest bullshit is that he wants to disable OneDrive files on demand because they have rolled out some new policies with sophos safeguard, and sophos is incompatible with files on demand. The sophos KB article basically reads as “yep we know and we’re not gonna fix it.”

Just ditch the god drat safeguard bullshit that fails half the time anyway (not to mention them losing the recovery key and complete access to the console a couple of months ago) and switch to straight up bitlocker for fucks sake.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Worth mentioning that bitlocker and Sophos have ever so slightly different usecases, in that they have nothing to do with one another.

I'm not surprised Sophos can't scan files that aren't stored on disk but like, you have cloud storage. Unless you object to the entire concept there's no viruses lurking there. Your security guy is dumb af.

E: oh man safeguard is some bullshit fde thing nevermind go to bitlocker stat

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

The Iron Rose posted:

E: oh man safeguard is some bullshit fde thing nevermind go to bitlocker stat

The true nightmare.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I like managing macs more than windows but I will say that bitlocker is a blessing from on high and is just about my favourite thing. It's simple easy and just works.

third party FDE suuuuuuuuuucks badly. The only one I ever used that was remotely decent was truecrypt and we all know what happened to them :nsa:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I have definitely taken time for updates to instead push back on my team lead that I shouldn't be writing all his updates. Sure, I could have just done it. But then next week he'll want another, and then two a week, then four because it's just so easy to ask me for the update instead of staying on top of our team's projects.

I'm not about to allow myself to become the 'update guy' while he copies and pastes my responses to management and beams when they tell him he's doing great as team lead. He's fully capable of doing his job on his own while I do mine.
i hear you - I'm in a bit of an unusual scenario where I'm putting my hand up to help out on someone elses project so the actual PM doesnt know what is going on, the guy I'm waiting on is pretty much expected to manage his own site so should know what is going on but as i'm the same level as him and it's not my programme, I'm venting on here instead of giving him a hard time :D

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

The only one I ever used that was remotely decent was truecrypt and we all know what happened to them :nsa:
Veracrypt was released as a fully compatible replacement and then got audited by a third party whose findings were remediated in version 1.19, so while TrueCrypt has its issues there's no reason you can't continue on with effectively the same UI/functionality provided via VeraCrypt.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 26, 2019

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sheep posted:

Veracrypt was released as a fully compatible replacement and then got audited by a third party whose findings were remediated in version 1.19, so while TrueCrypt has its issues there's no reason you can't continue on with effectively the same UI/functionality provided via VeraCrypt.

yeah but bitlocker exists and is good now

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
STPMO: when people bend the knee to other departments when it comes to implementing A Thing that involves IT sourcing, installing, and supporting it. A team wants us to install a few extra PCs and displays for them, but wants some of the displays to use HDMI over ethernet. We already have a few cases like this so it's not unheard of for us, it just could be handled much more easily using a VM to a zero client but nobody on my team thinks that it's okay for us to make the decisions because we're just support.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Iron Rose posted:

third party FDE suuuuuuuuuucks badly. The only one I ever used that was remotely decent was truecrypt and we all know what happened to them :nsa:

Third-party FDE is the worst, amen. Especially when it's McAfee.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

devmd01 posted:

The latest bullshit is that he wants to disable OneDrive files on demand

Doesn't matter what the reason is. This is enough to get a person shot into the sun.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress you if you don't build audit logging into your application

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Thanks Ants posted:

gently caress you if you don't build audit logging into your application

Came to this conclusion this week as well.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

people are so protective of their shared logins

it's basically my personal quest to quash them whereever I can find. the worst part though is we use them all the time internally too and there's often no good reason

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The Iron Rose posted:

it's basically my personal quest to quash them whereever I can find. the worst part though is we use them all the time internally too and there's often no good reason
Are we talking website logins? Or shared application logins?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Iron Rose posted:

Shared logins have no reason to exist.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Thanatosian posted:

Are we talking website logins? Or shared application logins?

"Why ask my manager to submit a change-of-access ticket to IT when I can just give them my login credentials"

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Sickening posted:

I do everything within my power to purge these from my systems on a daily basis.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Sickening posted:

We have one in our warehouse so that the workers there can make minor changes to the freight bills and print their own labels if they need to. The guy whose job this used to be was getting really behind on all his other work because he had to print off so many labels for the guys.

Why not just give every worker a signon? Well, they charge us yearly per active user. So it costs them more money. Can't have that, no sirree.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

JackSplater posted:

We have one in our warehouse so that the workers there can make minor changes to the freight bills and print their own labels if they need to. The guy whose job this used to be was getting really behind on all his other work because he had to print off so many labels for the guys.

Why not just give every worker a signon? Well, they charge us yearly per active user. So it costs them more money. Can't have that, no sirree.

Who charges you yearly?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Guessing worldship or whatever their stupid name is

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sickening posted:

Who charges you yearly?

Any SaaS ERP software will be per-user

Plus to log in/out every time Joe wants to do a shipment but Dan is signed in already...(to the software not windows)

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Sickening posted:

Who charges you yearly?

Our identity platform charges us yearly per user record in our DB, it's incredible.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

slartibartfast posted:

Anybody got a cloud-hosted eFax provider they actually like? Or is it just a matter of finding one that sucks in the least awful way for our company?

Sfax by scrypt is the only non-terrible one i've found so far. They were "acquired" by j2 fax but they haven't touched it nor planned to. Which is great because the UI is initiative and responsive and I've got full access to their API.

I'm pretty sure j2 fax just buys other companies to monopolize the fax industry, which is fine if they don't gently caress with us.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Talking about a single logon reminded me: When I worked at an ISP, we had a customer who paid for one mailbox. When we were getting ready to migrate them to another system, we noticed that they had a catchall, which was not supported any longer. I called to talk to their manager, who freaked out and got the local IT guy. Apparently they were popping all the mail down locally and distributing it to their 100 users. They used the catch all as a work around to not have all the aliases specified, and were circumventing the ToS by a huge margin.

I mean, I get the difference from $5 a month to $500 but I can't imagine all the crap that dude had to go thru to keep a system like that working.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Sickening posted:

Who charges you yearly?

The company that makes our freight tracking software, who I'm reluctant to name since I'm fairly certain we're their biggest customer.

Although given how much of a pain in the rear end it's been, the rumor I heard of it being written by a single 16-year-old over a weekend high on coke sounds likely.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Any SaaS ERP software will be per-user

Plus to log in/out every time Joe wants to do a shipment but Dan is signed in already...(to the software not windows)

We have a similar system but if a user wants to print labels or make some changes to an order it requires their initials. We also have internal security cameras so QA can audit every last thing.

Vrtra
Mar 25, 2017

the monster in your nightmares
Sooo, not sure if this is right thread, but it pertains to technology! I have a full suite of cameras around my house, and I was expecting a delivery from FedEx as my friend had sent me a birthday gift since I had my old laptop stolen during a break-in last month. Anyways, so, the real trouble started when I walked outside, greeted the FedEx Man, and said I was expecting a package! He said no! I asked him to check again! Clearly the shipping label on that hefty box said my address! He said, "It's for your neighbors across the street!". I advised him that if this was the only package he was delivering on my street, that it was my package, and gave him my home address. He said it was the correct address, but that it was my neighbor's address. I called FedEx after he left and my neighbors took my package inside. I complained about the idiocy of the driver and about how I now had to go over to my neighbor's house to correct their mistake. I then went over to my neighbor, rang the doorbell, and I was of course greeted by the surly, combative neighbor I am loathe to interact with. I advised him that FedEx had just dropped a package off and that he had signed for it, and would very much like it returned to me. He became combative and argued about how it was now his and there was nothing I could do. So, I told him that I had an e-mail stating that he accepted a delivery at my address, and that were he to not return the package to me, that I would call the police so they could sort it out. He was visibly angry but seemed unwilling to press this nonsense further, and so I obtained my birthday present, went home, set it up, and I am now happily using my Thinkpad X1 Extreme(Gen 2) without a care in the world. :toot:

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

The Iron Rose posted:

I still have to kill the mindset that using a domain user is bad, because it stops your colleagues from logging onto your account and continue working when their machine is doing something else.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Delirious Wolf posted:

Sooo, not sure if this is right thread, but it pertains to technology! I have a full suite of cameras around my house, and I was expecting a delivery from FedEx as my friend had sent me a birthday gift since I had my old laptop stolen during a break-in last month. Anyways, so, the real trouble started when I walked outside, greeted the FedEx Man, and said I was expecting a package! He said no! I asked him to check again! Clearly the shipping label on that hefty box said my address! He said, "It's for your neighbors across the street!". I advised him that if this was the only package he was delivering on my street, that it was my package, and gave him my home address. He said it was the correct address, but that it was my neighbor's address. I called FedEx after he left and my neighbors took my package inside. I complained about the idiocy of the driver and about how I now had to go over to my neighbor's house to correct their mistake. I then went over to my neighbor, rang the doorbell, and I was of course greeted by the surly, combative neighbor I am loathe to interact with. I advised him that FedEx had just dropped a package off and that he had signed for it, and would very much like it returned to me. He became combative and argued about how it was now his and there was nothing I could do. So, I told him that I had an e-mail stating that he accepted a delivery at my address, and that were he to not return the package to me, that I would call the police so they could sort it out. He was visibly angry but seemed unwilling to press this nonsense further, and so I obtained my birthday present, went home, set it up, and I am now happily using my Thinkpad X1 Extreme(Gen 2) without a care in the world. :toot:

Source your quotes?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

The Iron Rose posted:

third party FDE suuuuuuuuuucks badly.

We use Symantec FDE. If I drank, it would be because of that.

Update Windows 10 builds? Not without a script that temporarily bypasses encryption and multiple reboots.
Randomly not syncing with AD because :shrug:

I've been begging them to go to bitlocker but nope, we're already in this pit so no one's climbing out of it. :sigh:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Where the gently caress is this VoIP jitter coming from?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Where the gently caress is this VoIP jitter coming from?

Undisclosed traffic shaping on an end of the connection you don't own, a codec exploding, or a service provider destroying their own lines.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Undisclosed traffic shaping on an end of the connection you don't own, a codec exploding, or a service provider destroying their own lines.

Our HQ's new location is owned by someone who hates our CEO and refused to sign the ISP's right of entry agreement so they could deliver our circuit. The only way for me to get a data connection in time for move-in was running fiber under the street from another site we own that has a 1gig line. Our telco is sending our voice traffic to the internet across the street which then routes to us and into the telco's router.

So the answer to the question "where is the jitter coming from?" is "everywhere."

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

That is also acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

ChubbyThePhat posted:

That is also acceptable.

Nothing in Dick's post should be described as "acceptable".