Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's a diverse galaxy! Anything goes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Push El Burrito posted:

This grouping loving sucks. Could you only afford one target?

All those hits above the target remind me of going to a range in south Orlando. There was a guy with his daughter and a .22 pistol and her target (placed relatively far down) looked like it had been peppered with birdshot. Bullets flying all over the place.

Then suddenly there's a bright flash of sparks as one of her bullets hits the target line pulley. Range had to shut down for a bit so they could run a new cable across. Later there was also a guy with a pistol-grip-only shotgun that took every single target he brought off the holders and a guy who didn't secure his laser sight to his pistol, causing it to go flying across the range floor under recoil. And the guy who pointed a Beretta almost all the way over his shoulder at the viewing window to unload it for some reason.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I feel that nerddom has gotten a lot more progressive in general as more kinds of people are coming into the clubhouse. The reactionaries complaining about "SJWs" "ruining" their fandoms are just that: reactionaries. This isn't to say that fandom is free from toxicity - any community where you're rewarded for being narrowly obsessed with one thing is bound to be at least a little unhealthy, and all fandoms have to be careful not to encourage creepy or bullying behavior - but I think things are getting better overall.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pththya-lyi posted:

I feel that nerddom has gotten a lot more progressive in general as more kinds of people are coming into the clubhouse. The reactionaries complaining about "SJWs" "ruining" their fandoms are just that: reactionaries. This isn't to say that fandom is free from toxicity - any community where you're rewarded for being narrowly obsessed with one thing is bound to be at least a little unhealthy, and all fandoms have to be careful not to encourage creepy or bullying behavior - but I think things are getting better overall.

Much like with boomers, the toxic old generation will eventually die out. Their influence will last longer than their lives because of what they teach other people, but traditional nerd spaces becoming accepted by the mainstream has likely caused an irrevocable, slow change that will gradually push out the "SJWs gettin' in my star wars" people.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

chitoryu12 posted:

All those hits above the target remind me of going to a range in south Orlando. There was a guy with his daughter and a .22 pistol and her target (placed relatively far down) looked like it had been peppered with birdshot. Bullets flying all over the place.

Then suddenly there's a bright flash of sparks as one of her bullets hits the target line pulley. Range had to shut down for a bit so they could run a new cable across. Later there was also a guy with a pistol-grip-only shotgun that took every single target he brought off the holders and a guy who didn't secure his laser sight to his pistol, causing it to go flying across the range floor under recoil. And the guy who pointed a Beretta almost all the way over his shoulder at the viewing window to unload it for some reason.

The first time I fired a pistol at a range I hit one of the clips holding the target and the whole thing just fell to the floor. I turned to my friend and asked him to walk down the lane and grab it for me.

He refused :(

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Push El Burrito posted:

The first time I fired a pistol at a range I hit one of the clips holding the target and the whole thing just fell to the floor. I turned to my friend and asked him to walk down the lane and grab it for me.

He refused :(

Your plot failed.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Star Wara EU had this monstrosity post-Endor, but how treaded motorcycles are a bridge too far?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Brawnfire posted:

It's a diverse galaxy! Anything goes!

Was Star Wars the franchise where one writer said that gay people just don’t exist in that universe?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RatHat posted:

Was Star Wars the franchise where one writer said that gay people just don’t exist in that universe?

I thought that was Iran.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

The Star Wara EU had this monstrosity post-Endor, but how treaded motorcycles are a bridge too far?

BUT THEY HAVE

HOVERCRAFT

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

RatHat posted:

i think yeah that was the lady who wrote all the books about mandalorians and was unusually obsessed with their culture, which was basically entirely just her fanfic because no one else ever wrote about them. so they were all super hetero and no gay mandalorians ever existed.

that or she made all the mandalorians gay, one or the other

or that might all be confused with the dragonrider lady who says that only gay people can ride certain dragons and riding the gay dragons makes you gay

or with anne rice who says that when a penis penetrates a man's butthole it releases hormones that turn him gay, it's scientifically proven

there are a lot of problematic sex ideas in sf and fantasy

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

BB-h8 (the first order one) was the best droid and also a giant round wheel. :colbert:

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Sagebrush posted:

i think yeah that was the lady who wrote all the books about mandalorians and was unusually obsessed with their culture, which was basically entirely just her fanfic because no one else ever wrote about them. so they were all super hetero and no gay mandalorians ever existed.

that or she made all the mandalorians gay, one or the other

or that might all be confused with the dragonrider lady who says that only gay people can ride certain dragons and riding the gay dragons makes you gay

or with anne rice who says that when a penis penetrates a man's butthole it releases hormones that turn him gay, it's scientifically proven

there are a lot of problematic sex ideas in sf and fantasy

Idk if Anne Rice also said that, but the thing about being penetrated during anal sex making you gay due to hormones was definitely the dragonrider lady, Anne McCaffrey.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Sagebrush posted:

That's Karen Traviss, who is super-weird in general and specifically about Star Wars. She hated the Jedi so much that she gave the Episode III montage where the Clone troopers massacre them a standing ovation, right there in the movie theater. She also called fans who disagreed with her "Talifans," after the Islamic fundamentalists.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

I read that first post, which was at the end of a page, and thought "haha you're doing a thing, no one is mad at Star Wars for having wheels" and then, well

also those nerds need to recognize that the best droid in Star Wars had wheels

:gonk:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RatHat posted:

It's from The Old Republic, the Star Wars MMO.

Explanation:

TOR launched with nothing but straight romances. This being Bioware, a lot of fans expected same-sex romances and asked about it on the forums. A dev said they had been planned they just didn't make it in to launch and would be patched in soon. When soon passed, people posted more and a moderator said that people in Star Wars don't think of themselves as gay or straight or bi, they're just attracted to who they're attracted to and no one makes a big deal about it or considers it an identity - this is the response that everyone said was "No gays in Star Wars!"

Also, Makeb had two queer romance options: a bisexual woman for the Republic and a gay man for the Empire. Both ended in a kiss, nothing more, and they've never been seen or mentioned again.

Shadows of Revan added two recurring NPCs who could be romanced, a man and a woman. Both had completely gender neutral romances that never mentioned your gender at all. There have been more steadily dribbling into the game ever since, all of them completely gender neutral and consisting both of brand new bisexual romances and formerly straight characters who come out of the closet and can start a romance with a PC of the same sex.

Still have to wait until you finish the entire base game's story to reach any LGBT content at all, though.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Wasn’t TOR the one with a gay planet?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

goblin week posted:

That would be Makeb. One gay man for one faction, one bisexual woman for the other faction. Neither seen or mentioned again after you finish the story on that planet.

Partially because the gay guy can die depending on your story choices, and you'd better believe that when that expansion was new there were people on the official TOR forums loudly talking about how they got the guy killed because he was gay.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

goblin week posted:

Idk but Doom Patrol had a gay street

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/Phoebe_Fuller98/status/1199263456836370432

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
https://twitter.com/Phoebe_Fuller98/status/1199360663904235527

Labour really should just get down with bigots, that'll bring in votes.

Nobody else has done that ever.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Clerical Terrors posted:

https://twitter.com/Phoebe_Fuller98/status/1199360663904235527

Labour really should just get down with bigots, that'll bring in votes.

Nobody else has done that ever.

I don't think ive ever seen anyone who wasnt on tumblr ask for anything like xe/xir, and the tumblr people were likely either trolls or 14 year olds who thought they had the soul of an anime. I've never seen a non-binary person ask for anything other than "they" on any other platform.

Tbf if i actually met someone who insisted on a completely unique pronoun, i would probably just avoid them under the assumption they were either super immature or a narcissist.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The writer s. e. smith goes by “ou”.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When thoughts of other posters cross my mind:
https://mobile.twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1199507967680204800

AlbieQuirky posted:

The writer s. e. smith goes by “ou”.

OuOu what's this

E: lol she writes sci fi bodice rippers

zoux has a new favorite as of 03:05 on Nov 27, 2019

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

:)

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
https://twitter.com/WilliamsSonoma/status/1199357273174396928

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"Unlike you Liberals/Millennials, I'm not so easily offended" part 134729.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1199485863857655808

Oh it's gonna be a thing now

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Oh my god thanksgiving isn't even religious you loving shitrags.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

RoboRodent posted:

Oh my god thanksgiving isn't even religious you loving shitrags.

Depends on how closely you tie it to the Pilgrims. There was also a thing a while back about Obama making a Thanksgiving proclamation without explicitly mentioning God.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

but its OLD and therefore GOOD and shouldn't be CHANGED (even though it won't)

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1199093429847805952?s=19

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bobjr posted:

https://twitter.com/wyp100/status/1199280554929262593?s=21

It’s like the “how many days are in a week” argument

I had to go delving and he explains it. Since the calendar didn't have a year 0 and started at year 1 the first decade would have be 1-10 which makes this current decade 2011-2020

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Mr. "Everybody Else Has The Same Boring Food Taste That I Do And Are Just Faking It" is doubling down:
https://twitter.com/RadioFreeTom/status/1198644080923815936
https://twitter.com/RadioFreeTom/status/1198644373715587073
https://twitter.com/RadioFreeTom/status/1198644649105080320

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Picnic Princess posted:

Is Friendsgiving a “liberals” thing or is this just another case of thing-I-don’t-like-must-be-liberals?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

1/10 Can't make ice cream.

Len posted:

I had to go delving and he explains it. Since the calendar didn't have a year 0 and started at year 1 the first decade would have be 1-10 which makes this current decade 2011-2020

Which is, on its face, ridiculous, because we don't about the 202nd Decade, we talk about the 2010s. It's absurd to propose that 2010 wasn't part of the 2010s but 2020 is.

likewise 1999 was the last year of the 1900s but 2000 was the last year of the 20th century

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
John Wayne's Neighborhood where he narcs on Mr. McFeely to the CIA because he talked about unions once.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Faustian Bargain posted:

Is Friendsgiving a “liberals” thing or is this just another case of thing-I-don’t-like-must-be-liberals?

I think it's multiple things:

1) Liberals want to replace Merry Christmas with Happy Holidays, so it only makes sense for them to try to eliminate Thanksgiving too
2) Young people are more likely to celebrate with their friends rather than travel home to their (racist, sexist) relatives, and if Millennials are doing something it's probably bad
3) The word "Friendsgiving" was coined after 1975, so it's an idiot fad

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Imagine calling other people wimps and looking like this joke of a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Mr. "Everybody Else Has The Same Boring Food Taste That I Do And Are Just Faking It" is doubling down:

Hey, buddy, just because you can't handle spicy food doesn't mean the rest of us are only pretending to enjoy the experience.

Full confession: I am definitely a person who has happily ordered food that last time brought me to tears. I never regret it.