Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zore posted:

It gets Boomburst though.

Its not like Tyrantrum gets any STAB off of Strong Jaw etc.

Exactly, that's why Rock Head is it's favored ability. No recoil Head Smash? Yes please.

Blaziken386 posted:

it gets hyper voice and boomburst though. The ability would essentially give those STAB, even if they wouldn't be as boosted as toxtricity's signature move

It's worth giving it a go I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Vinylshadow posted:

Gameplay/Story segregation at its finest, what with pokemon being said to only battle with trainers they want to join, so you'd think beating the snot out of them would drastically raise the catch rate, but even at 1HP the catch formula's like "0.00001% chance to catch even with all your catch modifiers maxed lol eat a muk"

Honestly the raids are such a nicer way to capture pokemon. Either make it that capturing involves beating them to 1 hp(without needing false swipe, or give out more false swipes) and then spamming balls or just go full let's go method to match the anime.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

That the shiny chance buff in the pokedex says it's the number of times encountered but is actually the number of times defeated is silly

Also, false swipe is a TR?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Anime method exists, it's called quick balls.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
So I see stickers from other folks playing on the train (they look like raid invitations) but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to interact with them. Do I have to be at the den in-game they’re using? Or is there something in the Y menu I’m missing?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Tempura Wizard posted:

So I see stickers from other folks playing on the train (they look like raid invitations) but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to interact with them. Do I have to be at the den in-game they’re using? Or is there something in the Y menu I’m missing?

Press Y then tap right on the d-pad.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Tempura Wizard posted:

If you have an online subscription, you can select their sticker in the Y menu and join them. Maybe. It's pretty poo poo online tbh

If you don't have online, the join button simply won't be there, because communicating why you can't interact with the stickers is too hard for Nintendo

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Can't believe some dime store Eusine beat me after Hop knocked out most of my team for the first time ever.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Did they patch the rare spawn raid trick? I've been resetting the second the beam comes up for like 45 mins and no purple beam.

edit: Literally the next one was purple lol

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Thanks everyone. This is local communication because we’re on a train underground. I guess it’s a feed that lets me know someone else is doing stuff nearby in meatspace, but I can’t immediately warp there in the game? That’s cool I guess (not).

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Also, false swipe is a TR?
false swipe is a TM from the motostoke upper level pokemon center

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

I wish people went offline to do the max raid reset glitch. It's been even harder to get into raids lately because half the time the host immediately quits (I assume to reset the raid roll).

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Dad Jokes posted:

I wish people went offline to do the max raid reset glitch. It's been even harder to get into raids lately because half the time the host immediately quits (I assume to reset the raid roll).
half the time the host quit out because "no one joined in 30 seconds so gently caress it"

it's very annoying seeing a pokemon you wanted to catch only to get "err: communication partner not found"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So here's a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVo6AEjM7KM

According to his testing you have a 100% chance(even with a Beast ball!) to catch any raid Pokemon that's not part of a promoted event if you solo a raid. But if you bring friends your catch rate goes way down, though still not as low as the guests. Obviously his testing isn't perfect but the 100% while solo thing seems pretty conclusive. This means the easiest method of getting gigantamax Pokemon BY FAR is to farm them yourself and do them solo.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Flopsy posted:

It doesn't get any STAB to take advantage of it though.

Overdrive is a sound move, but at 80 BP it's still not as strong as Boomburst.

Edit: You're talking about Noivern, aren't you? Alas.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 27, 2019

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Blaziken386 posted:

half the time the host quit out because "no one joined in 30 seconds so gently caress it"

it's very annoying seeing a pokemon you wanted to catch only to get "err: communication partner not found"

I'd be ok with it if it would just clear the stamp instead of keeping it there taunting you.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

RatHat posted:

So here's a thing.

According to his testing you have a 100% chance(even with a Beast ball!) to catch any raid Pokemon that's not part of a promoted event if you solo a raid. But if you bring friends your catch rate goes way down, though still not as low as the guests. Obviously his testing isn't perfect but the 100% while solo thing seems pretty conclusive. This means the easiest method of getting gigantamax Pokemon BY FAR is to farm them yourself and do them solo.

Tell that to the 3 gmax centiscorch that I've failed to catch solo.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Critical hits seem to bust straight through gigamax shields btw.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

BearDrivingTruck posted:

No, the glow means they have better IVs and maybe an egg move.

I was being dramatic, it is shiny. I know what the flame effect means. The Nincada wasn't visible on the overworld, it was a shaky grass "!" spawn.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Elblanco posted:

Yeah. Gmax is definitely not 100% even if solo.

Anyway, breeding question. I know male and female Indeedees are version locked, but how about for breeding? Like, if I throw a male in with a Ditto, or a female in with Ditto/compatible male, could I get both, or is what you hatch version locked too?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Elblanco posted:

You didn’t actually watch the video. Those Centiskorch must’ve been ones spawned by the event right now(Drednaw and Sandaconda are more common in Sword, Corviknight and Centiskorch are more common in Shield, and Butterfree is more common in both). It’s hard to tell when they’re 5 star but I believe any G-max below 5 stars is spawned from the event.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
"Pokémon Sword and Shield’s raid exploit is ruining it for everyone"

https://www.polygon.com/2019/11/25/20981876/pokemon-sword-shield-raid-exploit-nintendo-switch-change-date-time

Yet more evidence that Polygon is a garbage rag full of garbage people.

And they keep spamming my YouTube account with ads for this sex offender looking motherfucker redoing the PokeRap.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I have the hardest time figuring out if a Pokemon is actually good or not for actual end game/pvp. Like I have tons of ones with good IVs or whatever but what makes one say Fairy Pokemon better then another Fairy pokemon just better stats?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

I have the hardest time figuring out if a Pokemon is actually good or not for actual end game/pvp. Like I have tons of ones with good IVs or whatever but what makes one say Fairy Pokemon better then another Fairy pokemon just better stats?

You don't really need to mess with Metagame stuff for the end game. PVP, yeah. But the game itself is not that tough. You can get through running pretty much "I am using this Pokemon because I like how it looks" teams, and never even bother with IVs, EVs, etc.

So for the main story, and even post-game, just run whatever you like.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Annath posted:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/11/25/20981876/pokemon-sword-shield-raid-exploit-nintendo-switch-change-date-time

And they keep spamming my YouTube account with ads for this sex offender looking motherfucker redoing the PokeRap.

This is real stupid article, but please do not besmirch my good good boy Brian David Gilbert

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Annath posted:

Brian David Gilbert is as good a content creator as he is horrible a judge of mustaches.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

RatHat posted:

So here's a thing.

Only gigantomax pokemon though; regular gigamax stuff is apparently always 100% if you're the host, according to that video.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

RatHat posted:

You didn’t actually watch the video. Those Centiskorch must’ve been ones spawned by the event right now(Drednaw and Sandaconda are more common in Sword, Corviknight and Centiskorch are more common in Shield, and Butterfree is more common in both). It’s hard to tell when they’re 5 star but I believe any G-max below 5 stars is spawned from the event.

Unless non gmax corviknight also counts as even then this isnt true as i failed to catch a normal rear end one today that i threw a ball at hoping for a hidden ability.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RatHat posted:

So here's a thing.

Not true, I’ve had a few Pokemon break out on me during solo raids. Granted, it is sort of a rare occurrence but it absolutely does happen.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Okay so I’ve been going to this one den where Ditto is the rarest raid in the pool. I thought this was the only den that had Ditto but now I’m hearing there’s one with all Ditto!? Is that true?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Okay so I’ve been going to this one den where Ditto is the rarest raid in the pool. I thought this was the only den that had Ditto but now I’m hearing there’s one with all Ditto!? Is that true?

There's a den in the Stony Wilderness where the rare pool (purple beam) is all Dittos.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

There's a den in the Stony Wilderness where the rare pool (purple beam) is all Dittos.

Oops, all Ditto.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Annath posted:

To be fair, the "Spammed with raids I can't join" complaint is valid, but that's because the people doing it likely don't realize it can still be done while in local communications instead of being online.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Annath posted:

This is the loving worst take in the thread, BDG is a treasure

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Apparently some people are omitting “the rare pool” part which was a brief source of shock and confusion for me.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Framboise posted:

This is the loving worst take in the thread, BDG is a treasure

He called Ferdinand von Aegir a narc. He is a hack fraud. :colbert:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Going into this gen I thought the Impidimp line would be my favorite and while they're up there Perrserker has stolen my heart

More Pokemon should do merry jigs

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Whoever "DietDrPibb" is, since I'm pretty sure they're a goon, thanks for letting me participate in your Raid with the super high level pokemon and my dopey level 22 Drizzile. I can't believe I caught a Bronzong.

I can't believe I didn't DIE. :aaaaa: :3:

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 27, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

The Bee posted:

Brian David Gilbert is as good a content creator as he is horrible a judge of mustaches.
I dunno, I think he makes the 1920s newscaster look work for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Elblanco posted:

And the gmax drednaw I took out solo. I was so mad the jerk escaped.