Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have a cheap Samson large diaphragm mic and put it on a boom stand, "for conference calls."
I actually had one person grunt, "oooooh" and tell me how good my voice sounded.
It also comes in real handy when I need to do voicemail recordings/announcements for IVRs.

Thank christ for someone actually caring instead of the IVR menu sounding like it's the equivalent of an emailed, scanned, faxed, pasted-to-word-document, printed, then faxed again amalgam nightmare document.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A Focusrite Scarlett and QSC SPA2-60 will do 90% of the job of my TEAC setup plus give you mic inputs.
I'm about to install this amp under my desk at work and the Focusrite will be the only thing on my actual desk except my Surface dock (and monitor arms mounted to the back), plus keyboard and mouse.

I have a cheap Samson large diaphragm mic and put it on a boom stand, "for conference calls."
I actually had one person grunt, "oooooh" and tell me how good my voice sounded.
It also comes in real handy when I need to do voicemail recordings/announcements for IVRs.

This so much.

I record music in my home office and I have a similar setup with M-Audio and a Rhode ribbon mic on a boom. Usually I use my gaming headset for conference calls for ease of use but when I’m feeling especially nerdy I put the call through my DAW with a touch of EQ, an EMI preamp plug-in and a bit of reverb for roominess.

“Hello and welcome to Agrikk’s happy home of the smoooooth scruuummm. Brought to you in part by a joint partnership with AWS and [company]. I’m comin’ atcha live via Chime today and we are five by five. Come on callers, let me hear from ya!”

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

quote:

As an organisation who takes confidential information seriously, we would prefer not to send confidential information via normal email in the risk that it may land in the wrong hands. I have therefore attached password-protected zip file containing the following:

always glad to see one of the largest national banks following good practice.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
did they send a second unencrypted email containing the password

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

klosterdev posted:

Oh Christ, flashback to that happening to me when a client couldn't get secureFTP working between them and our secure facility, so sent the encrypted data to my standard office email.

I still remember tactfully and slowly explaining that they should not then send the decryption key via email - even if they thought they were being sensible by sending it to a different address (my secretary's)

I think the data had a value of half a mil on the black market had it been intercepted.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
The IT services company I previously worked for use this as standard practice.

I could not convince them that if someone has compromised the email system on either end enough to get the zip file in the first place, they were already ready to take delivery of the password you were so kindly following up with.

We were a loving Microsoft partner for gently caress's sake. We should have been using Azure Rights Management or something, not in the least because we could have boasted about the fact to our customers and made more business out of it! But noooo, we've never done that before so we're not going to start now.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
All of this is causing me to flash back to my medical software days when people were so cheap, getting them to use 7zip with aes256 was a step up. We never sorted password exchange well. Our SFTP server wasn't better. In most cases these places didn't have their own IT service providers or didn't pay them to assist us.

I did what I could.

GPG seems like the promised land for this (except being difficult as hell to use)

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
At $OLDJOB we used something called Accellion. It worked pretty ok, and there was even a plugin for Outlook. That never got rolled out because it was "too complicated".

So our SOP was to have people log in to the "webmail" part of this program and create a link that they would then send via normal email. Somehow this was easier.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Agrikk posted:

This so much.

I record music in my home office and I have a similar setup with M-Audio and a Rhode ribbon mic on a boom. Usually I use my gaming headset for conference calls for ease of use but when I’m feeling especially nerdy I put the call through my DAW with a touch of EQ, an EMI preamp plug-in and a bit of reverb for roominess.

“Hello and welcome to Agrikk’s happy home of the smoooooth scruuummm. Brought to you in part by a joint partnership with AWS and [company]. I’m comin’ atcha live via Chime today and we are five by five. Come on callers, let me hear from ya!”

Same. My work-from-home office is a music recording studio, so sometimes I run my Helicon mic thru an Avalon pre-amp or even a Chandler Germanium (because nothing says, "LISTEN TO ME, ASSHOLES" like $1200 worth of pre-amplification), thru a Tascam 24-track mixer with a MOTU 16a for I/O. Throw some compression on it with DBx 266s and total overkill status achieved. (Ugh, but I just looked at the rack and remembered that the Bellari RP282a still needs new tubes, and now I'm sad...) Of course, all of this is lost over Google's lovely codecs. Might as well be trying to DJ drum n bass over a phone line.

Also, the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 is good enough to use on stage, travels internationally just fine, and can push live music thru big speaker systems without complaining (balanced outs!). That thing is bombproof and is essentially the backbone of my band's live rig.

Back to relevant content (lol, anyone here use Bigfix? did that phrase just give you a cold chill?), good god, people really don't understand data security at all. When I was consulting, I had a large number of clients with HIPPA requirements who were flagrantly violating them out of both ignorance and not wanting to spend money (due to ignorance). There's a semi-famous prosthetic limb builder in town who had all her records on a Windows XP computer (Win8.1 had been out for several years by then), in a common file share, so the other computer in the WORKSTATIONS group could access them. The whole thing was powerline Ethernet because she didn't want to spend money on wifi equipment (they were both desktops). She also didn't want to buy any sort of router outside what the ISP gave her (a super basic "business" account with no "business" features) or invest in a firewall. Godspeed, crazy limb lady.

I also met my current therapist while installing a software SFTP client for a trauma therapy office (they actually DID care about HIPPA), and when I gave the head therapist paperwork to sign, she looked me in the eye and asked what help I needed. Two weeks later, I had my first meeting with my awesome therapist, who let me slide with $20 sessions until I got my feet under me financially. :3:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

klosterdev posted:

based on the time stamps of email received from that address, very possibly.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Heners_UK posted:

All of this is causing me to flash back to my medical software days when people were so cheap, getting them to use 7zip with aes256 was a step up. We never sorted password exchange well. Our SFTP server wasn't better. In most cases these places didn't have their own IT service providers or didn't pay them to assist us.

I did what I could.

GPG seems like the promised land for this (except being difficult as hell to use)

Ah GPG: simple software to perform a simple task that is impossible to explain the concept of, with controls and setup/configuration that noone can use.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

A ticket came in asking us to install Microsoft Edge on a couple of Windows 7 machines.

There isn't an installer for Edge other than the ones for the Chromium-based dev builds...and the request came from a user who has a habit of asking for wacky, pointless poo poo like getting the Windows Store versions of Office 365 apps installed on her Surface when she already has the normal desktop versions installed, just so she can take photos directly into a Word document.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Shut up Meg posted:

Ah GPG: simple software to perform a simple task that is impossible to explain the concept of, with controls and setup/configuration that no one can use.

Symantec's PGP offering has integrated fairly well with outlook/exchange in our org, the end user doesn't even have to think about it as long as they're on windows. If they're not on windows it sucks to be them. (By them I mean me)

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Chandler Germanium
MOTU 16a

I am so very very jealous.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

klosterdev posted:

But it has the super secure password of {companyname}123!

:sigh:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Gospel according to HPE: And lo, on the 32,768th hour did thy SSD give up the ghost
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/11/25/hpe_ssd_32768/

Well, that's delightful.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good thing we’re all fiber channel in our 3par.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Email:
surface charger > do we have any spare??
my charger doesn't seem to be working anymore, do we have anymore please?

I respond advising that we do not currently have any but some are on order. I unhook the surface dock I use for imaging and go looking for the user on the open office floor to plug it in (and surreptitiously check that their charger does indeed not work). Could not find her, so I deposit the charger back on my desk and go for a poo poo.
On my return my boss informs me that the user is working from home and he knows this because she cced him into an email escalating the issue to the CEO.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Ghostlight posted:

Email:
surface charger > do we have any spare??
my charger doesn't seem to be working anymore, do we have anymore please?

I respond advising that we do not currently have any but some are on order. I unhook the surface dock I use for imaging and go looking for the user on the open office floor to plug it in (and surreptitiously check that their charger does indeed not work). Could not find her, so I deposit the charger back on my desk and go for a poo poo.
On my return my boss informs me that the user is working from home and he knows this because she cced him into an email escalating the issue to the CEO.

FFS.

Sounds like the lady who started screaming at one of my provisioning analysts the other day because she was moving from Portland to San Diego, and she DEMANDED that we ship not only her Macbook Air, but also a bunch of non-IT related poo poo as well. I finally had to coach the analyst to ask if the lady knew where the mail room in the office was.

The punchline: she was driving, and technically had plenty of room. She wanted to save space by having the company mail poo poo so she didn't have to Tetris it into her van, because she failed to plan for moving her office supplies until the last second.

My email to management started with, "I dunno when they moved mail duties under IT, but seeing as I can't find that on the org chart, you need to put a stop to this now."

Fake edit: that reminds me, some of my peer performance reviews called me and the other lady engineer on my team, quote, "HEADSTRONG." :v: My boss told them they should maybe think about rephrasing that and resubmit it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

This is definitely the best day to have a hangover.

Board member: Hey, can I grab you for a second? I'm just with some clients and the USB in the meeting room isn't working.

I get there and the clients are in Windows Explorer idly clicking through folders on the C: drive. I guide the group through clicking on the entry named USB DRIVE (G:)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Saw this

https://mobile.twitter.com/me_irl/status/1199361346250428418

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thread comment about screen capture software hits home as I eyeball the sharex icon in my system tray.

Don’t get the joke with the mayo though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The shell thing as the start button replacement that people would just load onto server 2012 boxes without thinking is a great indicator that you’re about to start working on a job that will need about 50 previously unmentioned prerequisites cleared up first.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
what does bionicle have to do with being a windows admin

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

what does bionicle have to do with being a windows admin

Computer janitors generally have a collection of toys on their desk. Not saying other types of employees never do, but its definitely a trend.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

The Fool posted:

Don’t get the joke with the mayo though.

https://twitter.com/me_irl/status/1199333811974287360?s=20

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

It seems like this "funny picture" post has a lot of backstory?

:shrug:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Only thing I can think of it's a play on downloading linux distros?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Nah, it’s a thing I see pop up on r/sysadmin occasionally.

Single admin shops without vlsc access and probably violating license terms.

The cafeteria thing is weirdly specific but funny.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Made me immediately think of this old gem

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Fake edit: that reminds me, some of my peer performance reviews called me and the other lady engineer on my team, quote, "HEADSTRONG." :v: My boss told them they should maybe think about rephrasing that and resubmit it.

What's wrong with "headstrong"? Does it mean something else in corporate lingo?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Fragrag posted:

Not knowing your place.

Which, when it is aimed at the only two women on the team, has a definite vibe that they should be grateful they are allowed out of the kitchen.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Sickening posted:

Computer janitors generally have a collection of toys on their desk. Not saying other types of employees never do, but its definitely a trend.

Funnily enough in the gaming industry the IT department is usually the crew with the least amount of toys on their desks.

The Fool posted:

Nah, it's a thing I see pop up on r/sysadmin occasionally.

Single admin shops without vlsc access and probably violating license terms.

I don't judge too harshly since this is usually due to underfunded and understaffed small shops, but I am reminded of $Last_Job where the deployment team (me) was denied access to VLSC because the IT director was annoyed by e-mails he got when I logged on to get an updated ISO.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hargrimm posted:

Made me immediately think of this old gem

:patriot:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Sickening posted:

:shobon: As a developer,

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Fragrag posted:

Men in IT management have a tendency for (mostly unintentional, but a lot of them are just assholes) misogyny. Things like 'headstrong', 'shrill', 'should smile more' are all part and parcel for the handbook.

Happy the manager above caught it. At least someone is thinking there.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Headstrong, in particular when used as a put-down, is used by people in management who like to bully people and keep people underneath them because they wrongfully think it gives themselves more worth.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

quote:

The roof caved it at [Office] and damaged the pc and phone. Please replace the pc and phone that is in [Office].

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the roof has already been fixed, right? right?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The Fool posted:

the roof has already been fixed, right? right?!?!?

That's a separate ticket