Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
After nine or so years of bouncing off promos or random double-digit tilt streaks, I finally hit gold without duoing last night.

In the end, what did it was stopping complaining that no one listened to calls from support, and just spamming carry JGs where they had to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

pog boyfriend posted:

could be any number of things. cs, could be damage dealt, towers taken, et cetera. there is a way you can actually compare your score and find out why you did not get s ranks

use the profile -> stats tab. it doesn't directly correlate to mastery, but it will let you compare individual stats against other people at your rank playing whatever garbo you've decided is good.

unless you're playing something really odd, then there won't be enough data to compare

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

apparently theres a deep state russian agent amongst us because the goons of silversquid all have russian dopplegangers and its the funniest poo poo imaginable to me

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

rabidsquid posted:

apparently theres a deep state russian agent amongst us because the goons of silversquid all have russian dopplegangers and its the funniest poo poo imaginable to me

what is silversquid

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
what now

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

goons need point and click abilities because 90% of y'all are old cranky people who have an apm of 3

I thought we were friends dude

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Just a heads-up: if you log-in to the game it may you ask to change the name you use to log-in. This happens if that name exists in multiple regions. In my case it was a EUW account and one I created for the PBE half a decade ago.

I solved it by logging in to the account with the PBE region selected, on the website. It gave me a prompt to change the name (I simply added “PBE” at the end). Once I did, I could use my main EUW account again without the name-change prompt.

Since your log-in name is not the same as your in-game name, most of you won’t be that bothered. But now you know.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 27, 2019

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_NySLgPtl4

Eghh gently caress learning all that nonsense and how to deal with it. Guess he's my new perma ban.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Mega Comrade posted:

Eghh gently caress learning all that nonsense and how to deal with it. Guess he's my new perma ban.

I think this champ looks so cool, although I do worry that it's going to be really hard to understand what his off-weapon is when you're playing against him.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I'm not too worried about aphelios: he's an adc, don't get shot by him for too long, he'll die just as easy as any other adc

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

i am perma banning him for one or two months for another reason, the champion seems entirely based on labbing gun combos and learning how to manage the stack of guns which is something first time players are not ever going to do well

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

how the hell do i play against yasuo?? i’m usually swain but i’ve seen him in bot before and he’s pulled the same stupid dashy poo poo on me there too.

at least the new champ doesn’t have twelve dashes and a global ult

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

a fatguy baldspot posted:

how the hell do i play against yasuo?? i’m usually swain but i’ve seen him in bot before and he’s pulled the same stupid dashy poo poo on me there too.

Firstly: go look up his abilities, he's a lot less intimidating when you know the conditions he needs to do yasuo things

Secondly: as general advice stay away from your own minion wave, listen out for the sound he makes when tornado is ready, and windwall has one of the longest non ultimate cooldowns out there so try bait it out

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

the dashes individually are not worth worrying about. if he starts charging dashes, move away immediately, but he is going to dash and there is not a drat thing you can do about it. to play against yasuo, attack him to remove his shield and back away. once his shield is down, then you go in for the trade.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That video makes it look like Aphelios’s range is small, hows it compare? If he mostly has a short range without his long gun, he’s gonna have to be stupidly powerful.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

That video makes it look like Aphelios’s range is small, hows it compare? If he mostly has a short range without his long gun, he’s gonna have to be stupidly powerful.

He's got 550 attack range, and the rifle gives him an extra +100 range. He's got a decent number of survivability tools: the cannon gives him a slow and an unavoidable root, while the pistol gives him universal vamp, overhealing, and a strong (though non-scaling) heal on his ult. A lot of the finesse in playing him is going to come down to managing your weapon loadout, since his strongest DPS combos seem to come from some combination of rifle, chakram, and flamethrower. Consequently, you have to decide whether the personal survivability from pistol/cannon is more important than the increased DPS from superior weapon combos.

What's interesting about this is that there's even more granularity in weapon loadouts due to the ammo system. You might, for example, have something like flamethrower/cannon available. If you're careful, you can tank cannon down to only a couple of shots remaining, then sit on it until you get into a fight. Once the fight starts, you can Q -> W -> Q for a mass root, swap cannon -> chakram, and then utilize a flamethrower Q -> W -> chakram R combo to wipe the floor with everyone. The downside to this is that you don't have access to cannon if you suddenly find yourself needing to kite, so you might instead choose to sit on a fuller cannon for that possibility at the cost of losing out on DPS. There's a lot of room for skill expression in how thin you're willing to make the margins.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 27, 2019

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Slaapaav posted:

god forbid a toplane pick exists that is fun to play or has actual game impact.

The reason I stopped playing dota2 was because backdoor rat dota was in about 50% of games and it’s boring and isn’t fun. They removed zzrot for this reason too, explicitly because a couple of champs could abuse it to great effect (sion, Shen and singed for instance). Not entirely sure why they added an item that then allows auto attack heavy champs who can generally win 1v1s anyway to then do the same thing as well.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
Tried Aphelio in the pbe and dear god he scales so good with AP.
His life steal gun q movement speed is 10%AP scaling which makes a great escape.
His chacrum is a heimer turret but with a shorter lifespan but is incredibly strong with 75%Ap scaling which is even better if you use the crowd control gun with it.
His gravatum guns q is 75%AP.
His Sniper rifle Q is 100%AP.
His crowd control q is 75% and is great for combing into the gravatum Q.
and his Ult is also 100%AP and also combos well into Grataum Q.

Also short cooldowns.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Drone_Fragger posted:

The reason I stopped playing dota2 was because backdoor rat dota was in about 50% of games and it’s boring and isn’t fun. They removed zzrot for this reason too, explicitly because a couple of champs could abuse it to great effect (sion, Shen and singed for instance). Not entirely sure why they added an item that then allows auto attack heavy champs who can generally win 1v1s anyway to then do the same thing as well.

Really miss the era when Banner was underrated and you could win games as support by using it intelligently

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

Really miss the era when Banner was underrated and you could win games as support by using it intelligently

I still want them to trial run re-adding Promote as a selectable Spellbook option for a single patch and see how it shakes out. I think you're always going to have a problem with it if it's an item (unless you hard lock its effect behind the presence of a Sightstone), but the relative cost of picking up Spellbook for a lot of champs might be a sufficient deterrent.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

I'm still cracking up at this

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

Vermain posted:

He's got 550 attack range, and the rifle gives him an extra +100 range. He's got a decent number of survivability tools: the cannon gives him a slow and an unavoidable root, while the pistol gives him universal vamp, overhealing, and a strong (though non-scaling) heal on his ult. A lot of the finesse in playing him is going to come down to managing your weapon loadout, since his strongest DPS combos seem to come from some combination of rifle, chakram, and flamethrower. Consequently, you have to decide whether the personal survivability from pistol/cannon is more important than the increased DPS from superior weapon combos.

What's interesting about this is that there's even more granularity in weapon loadouts due to the ammo system. You might, for example, have something like flamethrower/cannon available. If you're careful, you can tank cannon down to only a couple of shots remaining, then sit on it until you get into a fight. Once the fight starts, you can Q -> W -> Q for a mass root, swap cannon -> chakram, and then utilize a flamethrower Q -> W -> chakram R combo to wipe the floor with everyone. The downside to this is that you don't have access to cannon if you suddenly find yourself needing to kite, so you might instead choose to sit on a fuller cannon for that possibility at the cost of losing out on DPS. There's a lot of room for skill expression in how thin you're willing to make the margins.

This is honestly what it seems to be playing this champ

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Play AP Malphite into him.

Also from watching that video, he's absolutely going to be lowest winrate ADC. He has no self peel aside from the gravity gun's snare and that's only up like 20% of the time. Everyone but extreme tryhards are going to eat poo poo with this champ. Just ban it if it's hovered on your team and if not, beg your ADC not to play it and leave it open for the enemy because they'll mega feed.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MikeStmria posted:

This is honestly what it seems to be playing this champ

I'd argue that it's actually the opposite. He only has three buttons - all of which have moderate cooldowns - and no mobility. His skill ceiling is almost entirely based around how good you are at calculating when you'll need specific weapons and what weapon combinations will benefit you the most in skirmishes/teamfights. He's not much more mechanically intensive to play than, say, Miss Fortune or Ashe.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Toxic Mental posted:

Play AP Malphite into him.

Also from watching that video, he's absolutely going to be lowest winrate ADC. He has no self peel aside from the gravity gun's snare and that's only up like 20% of the time. Everyone but extreme tryhards are going to eat poo poo with this champ. Just ban it if it's hovered on your team and if not, beg your ADC not to play it and leave it open for the enemy because they'll mega feed.

aphelios seems like a midlaner tbh

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Whatever he is, please god let him be on the enemy team because I'm feinding to Singed flip him into my Darius

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think people are overestimating how difficult Aphelios is at a baseline. He's extremely challenging to optimize, but, at the end of the day, he's still an ADC with decent range and some survivability tools. You can build crit, sit on cannon/pistol in your offhand, and cycle through your mainhand weapons in order without a huge loss in performance.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

i dont think most of the concern is of complexity, its more like the 'yasuo pickers will feed' paradigm amplified to an extreme

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

strong bird posted:

i dont think most of the concern is of complexity, its more like the 'yasuo pickers will feed' paradigm amplified to an extreme

From my view as a support, the conversion rate of feeding Vaynes to feeding Aphelioses is 1:1, so the difference is minimal.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

vayne has a dash and invisibility so it definitely cant be 1:1. for every time vayne would feed, even with the incredible boon of an instant cast dodge/dash and invisbility, aphopohpohpious will feed at least 1.5 as many times

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

strong bird posted:

vayne has a dash and invisibility so it definitely cant be 1:1. for every time vayne would feed, even with the incredible boon of an instant cast dodge/dash and invisbility, aphopohpohpious will feed at least 1.5 as many times

You forget: not being able to dash backwards also means not being able to dash forwards.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Apheliospotting

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bernie Sanders

strong bird
May 12, 2009

by which i mean, the rate of feed (ROF) will increase as vayne pickers and yasuo pickers transition to apoleiousifes, with the baseline as 1 Yasuo (7~ deaths per game (DPG))

Yasuo ROF: 7.42 DPG (or 1 Yasuo)
Estimated Aph. ROF: 9.27 DPG (or 1.25~ Yasuos)

strong bird fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 27, 2019

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Vermain posted:

You forget: not being able to dash backwards also means not being able to dash forwards.

ill get the eggheads to incorporate this concept into the machine learning blockchain algorithms but my gut instinct is that it won't have a heavy influence on our findings

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

this has been my strategy for years and I'm nearing the point where I'll have to read yasuos tooltips

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

strong bird posted:

Any Vayne: " Let me show you this pro play no one has thought of"

* Ults > Q > Flash > dies *

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So uh more questions regarding game design and nerd math from this noob. BotK is very cool and good against beefy targets, but for a carry like Varus it's considered a must-get regardless of what is going on. What part of varus forces BotK on his default item list? And two: why do spellblades and energize effects loving trigger off Gangplank's pistol? At the same time? I mean its loving hilarious and the idea of plopping down a barrel to shoot someone in the face is loving aces but why is his Q considered a basic attack is what I'm wondering.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mindblast posted:

What part of varus forces BotK on his default item list?
There's two reasons:
  • Only a small portion of Varus' total damage from abilities scales with AD, and none of it scales with crit. However, he gets an appreciable attack speed steroid, and has a passive that grants him on-hit damage, which makes Guinsoo's Rageblade a prime pick. As Guinsoo's is relatively unimpressive on its own, however, Varus wants to complement it with a solid on hit item - in this case, BotRK.
  • Varus is an immobile ADC with limited CC. BotRK's speed boost helps to partially cover this weakness.

Mindblast posted:

And two: why do spellblades and energize effects loving trigger off Gangplank's pistol? At the same time? I mean its loving hilarious and the idea of plopping down a barrel to shoot someone in the face is loving aces but why is his Q considered a basic attack is what I'm wondering.
It's because his original kit made it act as a basic attack for reasons lost to time, and they stuck with it as the years went on because it gave him something unique that no other melee champion had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

edit: No don't read this guy's post, read mine ^^^^^

Mindblast posted:

So uh more questions regarding game design and nerd math from this noob. BotK is very cool and good against beefy targets, but for a carry like Varus it's considered a must-get regardless of what is going on. What part of varus forces BotK on his default item list? And two: why do spellblades and energize effects loving trigger off Gangplank's pistol? At the same time? I mean its loving hilarious and the idea of plopping down a barrel to shoot someone in the face is loving aces but why is his Q considered a basic attack is what I'm wondering.

Synergy with his W passive, generally champions that have %hp damage benefit from items that do more of the same, like Vayne or high attack speed champions like Master Yi.

Gangplank Q doesn't get two spellblade procs, but it's a special ability in that it's one of the only (if not THE only) ranged on-hit abilities (which proc spellblade when you use them) that is on a melee champ. It's always been like this and it's essentially to give him the ability to fight back since he really only has Q for damage, as W is a heal/cleanse and E is essentially an AoE more powerful auto, and his R is a huge cooldown. Without Q being that way he'd be extremely weak and he'd be completely stomped by any ranged laner that had even the smallest amount of lifesteal.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 27, 2019