Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Viva Miriya posted:

Funny warcrime.

Eh, those weren't for military use anyway. The idea is that they can be used as an anti-kidnapping tool, disguised as a portable radio (or a medkit, which I haven't seen before) it looks like you are unarmed even upon a cursory search. Wait for an opening, unfold, blast away, and run like hell from wherever you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Wild T posted:

Do this but they're all dudes, in the same outfits

Hell yeah

chitoryu12 posted:

I just talked to a customer at the USMC and I want to know if he's bullshitting me.

Is there any truth to a claim that they aren't allowed to access .net URLs on a base?

If it's at small unit level it could honestly be "some idiot who doesn't understand comms made a rule"

There's lots of that to go around

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

PathAsc posted:

Hell yeah

If it's at small unit level it could honestly be "some idiot who doesn't understand comms made a rule"

There's lots of that to go around

Yeah but was it a crusty E-7 or an idiot O-5 that decided to ban all .net addresses?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

BUG JUG posted:

Yeah but was it a crusty E-7 or an idiot O-5 that decided to ban all .net addresses?

Trick question: both of those people came up with it and held an all hands brief at 1700 on a Friday to explain why for 3 hours

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

madeintaipei posted:

Eh, those weren't for military use anyway. The idea is that they can be used as an anti-kidnapping tool, disguised as a portable radio (or a medkit, which I haven't seen before) it looks like you are unarmed even upon a cursory search. Wait for an opening, unfold, blast away, and run like hell from wherever you are.

Still a violation of the Geneva Convention. It would be even if it were a red cross on an actual medkit and not a weapon.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Hyperlynx posted:

Still a violation of the Geneva Convention. It would be even if it were a red cross on an actual medkit and not a weapon.

The Geneva Conventions do not apply to civilians outside of war zones.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

chitoryu12 posted:

It was specifically .net domains, which as far as I know have no functional difference to any other URL. And we've done testing for the Air Force just fine (minus their awful infrastructure causing constant Internet outages).

He's full of poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Godholio posted:

He's full of poo poo.

Thought so. He has to make the request for paper tests in writing so I can identify him and call him on it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

McNally posted:

The Geneva Conventions do not apply to civilians outside of war zones.

Read the link.

quote:

In order to ensure universal respect for the emblems, the Geneva Conventions obliged their signatories to forbid any other use of the names and emblems in wartime and peacetime.

Nevertheless, the illegal usage of the emblem is widespread and it is often used as a general symbol to indicate first aid, medical supplies and civilian medical services especially in walk-in clinics

e: ok, technically, the civilian isn't violating the Geneva Convention. They're violating a law that the country they are a citizen of must have enacted in order for that country to not be in violation of the Geneva Convention.

eg https://www.pcgamer.com/how-the-prison-architect-developers-broke-the-geneva-conventions/

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 27, 2019

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Hyperlynx posted:

Read the link.

e: ok, technically, the civilian isn't violating the Geneva Convention. They're violating a law that the country they are a citizen of must have enacted in order for that country to not be in violation of the Geneva Convention.

eg https://www.pcgamer.com/how-the-prison-architect-developers-broke-the-geneva-conventions/
Yep, it would be the citizen's country that would in violation of the Convention.

Redcrossgamergate and their cry for ethics in humanitarian organizations is about the silliest reference possible.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Silicon Valley they show has a plot line about an app called foxhole for military to cheat on their wives. They used it to black mail a 4 star general.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Guys, so long as the dude carrying it is wearing a backwards American flag, it's less a "war crime" and more a "war faux paux".

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Actually it's a heroic act of patriotism and you will get to accompany the POTUS on his reelection campaign

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

jaegerx posted:

Silicon Valley they show has a plot line about an app called foxhole for military to cheat on their wives. They used it to black mail a 4 star general.

Why would anyone need an app for that?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The severity of any war crime is inversely proportional to how many punisher skulls you spraypaint on your poo poo.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

There was a day when all major news network websites except Fox were blocked on the Marine network so I wouldn't be surprised if one day the dude tried to go to some .net websites and they were all blocked

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Wild T posted:

The severity of any war crime is inversely proportional to how many punisher skulls you spraypaint on your poo poo.

This cursed garment is what we call “blanket immunity from prosecution for all crimes committed in the past, present or future.”

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

pantslesswithwolves posted:

This cursed garment is what we call blanket immunity from prosecution for all crimes committed in the past, present or future.

Needs to be a thin blue line flag

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

This cursed garment is what we call “blanket immunity from prosecution for all crimes committed in the past, present or future.”

The cumulative IQ of everybody who owns this shirt the world over has got to be close to room temperature

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Milo and POTUS posted:

The cumulative IQ of everybody who owns this shirt the world over has got to be close to room temperature

If that room is a shed in the polar north with no air handling system or insulation, sure

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sooner or later Disney’s brand protection machine will focus its eye on the punisher skull poo poo.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Midjack posted:

Sooner or later Disney’s brand protection machine will focus its eye on the punisher skull poo poo.

it wont

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Midjack posted:

lol

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I wonder how many of the dudes who wear that kind of garbage would think twice if people kept saying "Nice Disney shirt. What are you, 12?" to them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Midjack posted:

not while a single baby yoda meme still lives

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

not while a single baby yoda meme still lives

Oh yeah, they’ve got more beloved fish to fry at the moment and they knew they were taking on all that came with Marvel Entertainment. Still, a single Punisher Mickey doing something especially repugnant would probably be enough, and the Mouse already has the black and white color scheme so it probably isn’t that far of a leap.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/aubrey_huff/status/1199200986658553857?s=20

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Fucks sake, idiots like this are why I don't go to public ranges and made my own at the farm.

I can't wait for Bernie to win and all these "manly men" start wailing and gnashing their teeth about how the trump didn't have enough time to shine

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
That particular moron is scared of Bernie because he's a rich baseball player, and Bernie would make his taxes go up.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

loving nobles.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

PathAsc posted:

Fucks sake, idiots like this are why I don't go to public ranges and made my own at the farm.

I can't wait for Bernie to win and all these "manly men" start wailing and gnashing their teeth about how the trump didn't have enough time to shine

some of them will try to kill him, op

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

I read the replies and now I'm slightly more stupid than I was before. Thanks!

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

The followup tweet from Huffy is p good

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

some of them will try to kill him, op

If Obama survived, so will Bernie.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

NGL my partner and I know a lot of hippies, and one friend recently had to send regrets for some other friends' wedding because of a "yoni steaming accident".

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

NGL my partner and I know a lot of hippies, and one friend recently had to send regrets for some other friends' wedding because of a "yoni steaming accident".

I googled Yoni Steaming and the first hit is an article about how it became popular due to Gwyneth Paltrow, which should be a BIG clue that it's stupid pointless bullshit

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Talk about a clam bake

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Well Seymour, you are an odd fellow.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I was reading a journal article about the dumbass soldier that tried to eat C4 to get high, and I have a followup question that google has failed me on, but maybe one of you know. Definitely idiot-adjacent.

The article mentioned that the first non-wartime case of RDX poisoning was in a 3 year old. How in the hell did a 3 year old eat RDX? I haven't been able to find anything on how, exactly, that baffling set of circumstances actually happened, only the aftermath of "kid had a big ol' seizure".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The citation for that claim was an article from 1986 by a bunch of pediatricians who all worked at U. of Arkansas Medical School so I'll take "Because Arkansas" for 4000, Alex.