Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Well you're wrong lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Yeah

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Hot take: i think all gin is garbage

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It’s basically citrus vodka.

I’ll never forget the lady who was soooo particular about her martini ratio (like 8:3 or something super specific) but didn’t care which gin we used. New Amsterdam is our well. She sent it back because she thought we used a dirty mixing glass that had citrus in it. Lady, you can’t have a martini spec preference that specific without also having a gin preference

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Dry martinis taste like they should be sold out of the back of a wagon by a carnival barker at a medicine show.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 25, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Halloween Jack posted:

Dry martinis taste like they should be sold out of the bag of a wagon by a carnival barker at a medicine show.

I... I can't tell if you think that's a bad thing. I swear, this thread and the whisky thread sometimes.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Who is wrong, me or Dave Arnold?

It's probably Dave Arnold :colbert:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

The Maestro posted:

It’s basically citrus vodka.

I’ll never forget the lady who was soooo particular about her martini ratio (like 8:3 or something super specific) but didn’t care which gin we used. New Amsterdam is our well. She sent it back because she thought we used a dirty mixing glass that had citrus in it. Lady, you can’t have a martini spec preference that specific without also having a gin preference

With "citrus vodka" in mind, I took a pull, and yeah. That's pretty accurate lol. I'm sure my garbage tongue was probably influenced by the ad copy on the back of the bottle which has "botanicals" as the first marketing word

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Eat This Glob posted:

With "citrus vodka" in mind, I took a pull, and yeah. That's pretty accurate lol. I'm sure my garbage tongue was probably influenced by the ad copy on the back of the bottle which has "botanicals" as the first marketing word

Lol I mean if you like it, great, it’s cheap and it’s not like other cheap spirits where it’s just not good, but “botanical” just means it has plant-based substances as a flavor additive. Very generic descriptor

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

silvergoose posted:

I... I can't tell if you think that's a bad thing. I swear, this thread and the whisky thread sometimes.

Juniper is my least favorite type of flavor. Personal opinion here.

I just kinda fell in to the dark liquor side. I really hate vodka and :barf: tequila. Idk why

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you want to try something that's actually a quality product, Glob, Tanqueray 10 is a good example of a well made citrus forward gin.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

If you want to try something that's actually a quality product, Glob, Tanqueray 10 is a good example of a well made citrus forward gin.

noted, and thanks

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
When drinking genever i camt help but notice how much better it is as a distillate compared to gin

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

tha_hotstepper posted:

When drinking genever i camt help but notice how much better it is as a distillate compared to gin

That’s far too broad a generalization for me to let stand in this hallowed thread of learned scientists!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

tha_hotstepper posted:

Genever is the oldest style of gin and tied directly to the first distilled spirits. It's made in a pot still that leaves behind a lot of the flavors that modern manufacturers try to get rid of. Typical gin is done in a column still and they try to make as neutral of a spirit as possible, so it's basically an infused vodka when you get down to it. There's no flavor except the botanicals.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Juniper is my least favorite type of flavor. Personal opinion here.

Yeah same. I want to embrace gin but the core flavor of juniper is just repellent.

Buddha's Hand oleo syrup came out nice. It's like lemon but more "high" candy notes. Was a fun project not sure I would repeat, they are expensive and a bitch to get all the zest off.

New Amsterdam is a California industrial level vodka/gin producer. They don't really have an artisanal rep beyond the marketing.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 26, 2019

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I want to enjoy gin, but I just can't. Which is stupid, since I really enjoy Jagermiester. Arguably one of the worst tasting booze out there. :shrug: Something about that juniper really gets to me.
I also have the problem (that for the longest I really didn't believe) with certain liquors not reacting well with my body. Vodka legit makes me queasy. I don't have to get a buzz or drunk even. I can have 1 cocktail and be just a queasy mess the next day if not the same day. No matter the quality or the cocktail. Tequila is just gross and my ancestors are rolling in their grave as I type this out.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I've become addicted to amaretto sours (the basic rear end amaretto+sour) , but they're just so drat sweet, does anyone have any recipes they like that have a bit more bite to them?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I have friends in local distribution, I'll reach out to them.

I'm way late; if you ever heard anything let me know, I've basically given up at this point

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

The Chad Jihad posted:

I've become addicted to amaretto sours (the basic rear end amaretto+sour) , but they're just so drat sweet, does anyone have any recipes they like that have a bit more bite to them?

Jeffrey Morgenthaler’s Amaretto Sour

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
My hot take is rich simple syrup is a waste of time

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Amaretto sours need two to four ingredients:

Wife's version: 2 oz amaretto 1 oz lemon
Mine: 1.5 oz amaretto 0.5 oz whiskey 1 oz lemon 1 egg white

We like em tart so you do you

Sugar and simple do not belong in a drink which also has amaretto. Sour mix belongs in the garbage.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Klauser posted:

I prefer it because it seems to keep a lot longer, and I end up throwing away less of it.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Klauser posted:

I’ve never really understood the logic behind it, besides the shelf life. But that’s not an issue when you go through a gallon a week.

You make it double strength, so you only need to use half? But it’s not really half, because science doesn’t work like that...Ok, and?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

One benefit of a 2:1 simple syrup is that you can use it 1:1 by volume with sugar in recipes that are calling for sugar rather than syrup. Also, it has the benefit of being pre-dissolved sugar without adding quite as much dilution prior to shaking or stirring. I mostly don't gently caress with it lately, but every time I make some up I'm glad I did. Also it's better with demerara sugar rather than white in most cases.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Hey dudes/dudettes!

Looking for some advise on building up ingredients for a home bar.

Background: I'm mainly a craft beer guy who dabbles in gin every now and then. The missus and I drink a lot of highball style gin drinks, usually gin (generally tanqueray or roku)/lemon or lime/fresh mint topped up with soda. We'll always try cocktails when we're out and about. Recently I had a good negroni for the first time and it kinda changed my life lol, so I've started working on cocktails at home.

Gin/rye whisky sours, gin gin mules and southsides are going down a treat so far, really dialling in some ratios I enjoy. Haven't made a martini I've enjoyed yet, and haven't got any campari to try making negronis but that's my next step.

So far we have:
A cocktail shaker set
Juicer
Bar spoons
Multipe sizes of jigger
Gins
Rye whisky
Sweet and dry vermouth
Rocks and highball glasses
Bitters

I guess what I'm asking for is some recipe suggestions and ideas for ingredients that are used in multiple drinks! Also any other tools that will enable cool stuff. This has been a great thread to read through.

field balm fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 27, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Get a bottle of Campari so you can make negronis, if you're into gin cocktails. If you or the missus like sweet cocktails, also get some Chambord so you can do Floradoras. 1.5oz gin, half an ounce fresh lime juice, same of Chambord over ice in a highball glass, finish with ~4oz ginger ale, garnish with a lime wedge. Sweet-tart and bright pink, and not common so people don't expect them.

Also a small cutting board, good paring knife, and peeler so you can make garnishes.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Nov 27, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mixel is a great app for figuring out recipes. You have to pay something like $12 to get unlimited access to everything they ever upload, but at its core it's an app that lets you tell it all the ingredients you have and it gives you recipes for them from its database of nearly 2000 recipes.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Mixel is a great app for figuring out recipes. You have to pay something like $12 to get unlimited access to everything they ever upload, but at its core it's an app that lets you tell it all the ingredients you have and it gives you recipes for them from its database of nearly 2000 recipes.

Seconded. The app also has a built in shopping list, a tool that calculates what ingredients to add to your bar to access more recipes, and suggest substitutes based on what you have on hand.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Most importantly their recipes are mostly drawn from good sources such as Beachbum Berry and Death & Co. Sometimes certain details are omitted if you compare it to the book, but it is by far my most used cocktail app ever.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah, and you can add your own recipes or edit the ones in there if you make tweaks that you like.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

field balm posted:

I guess what I'm asking for is some recipe suggestions and ideas for ingredients that are used in multiple drinks! Also any other tools that will enable cool stuff. This has been a great thread to read through.

Looks like you're missing a mixing glass, which is important for stirred drinks. Get a fancy Japanese one from Cocktail Kingdom if you want, or just find a heavy-walled 20oz imperial pint glass. Either is fine, as long as you can stir comfortably in it and can fit a strainer on top.

Definitely do get some Campari! It tends to run a bit more expensive compared to other home bar staples, but you won't go through it very quickly. And when you do have it, try an Old Pal. It's a Negroni with rye whiskey and dry vermouth, rather than gin and sweet vermouth. Very tasty.

You mention bitters, but not what varieties you have. There are a shitload out there, but as long as you've got Angostura and a good orange bitters (I like Regan's just fine, nerdier bars insist on a 50/50 blend of that and Angostura Orange bitters) you're good.

As for other suggestions, try making your own grenadine sometime! It's a fun first project for the home cocktail enthusiast, and it'll allow you to make a bunch of different stuff. Keeps for a long time, too.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

prayer group posted:

(I like Regan's just fine, nerdier bars insist on a 50/50 blend of that and Angostura Orange bitters) you're good.

I thought the cocktail nerd option was a blend of Regan's and Fee Brothers.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I use Scrappy's and have no complaints

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, there's a ton of aromatic bitters options but the exact brand you get doesn't really matter unless you're trying to be a flavor perfectionist. Scrappy's, Hella, and Angostura will all make a perfectly good cocktail. The real variation comes from specialty varieties like hellfire bitters (a very small amount can make a drink quite hot), chocolate bitters, orange bitters, etc.

I will say that a fancy Japanese mixing glass is neat but not absolutely vital to a stirred drink. You can still stir in your shaker if you learn to stir by time and not by look with consistent ice usage and you'll just end up with a slightly less precise drink, and with an Old Fashioned you can build and stir it in the glass with the rock it's going to be served with. That's a handy way of doing it because you can just stop when the drink and top of the ice cube are on the right level relative to each other and begin drinking immediately.

What shaker set do you use?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

field balm posted:

Looking for some advise on building up ingredients for a home bar.

One thing I wish I could go back and tell my past-self when I was starting to build my home bar:

Don't buy a million bitters.

They sound so fun, there are so many flavors.

If you use them at all, you never use them fast enough. Most of the bottle will oxidize.

Ango, orange, and Peychauds, that's it.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I agree, don’t go crazy with bitters, except for one: Scrappy’s cardamom bitters. A few dashes takes a Negroni to the next level.

MistressMeeps
Dec 27, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

What shaker set do you use?

I'm really interested in recommendations! Still making whiskey sours in a protein shaker bottle...it's a bit sad.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Maestro posted:

I’ve never really understood the logic behind it, besides the shelf life. But that’s not an issue when you go through a gallon a week.

You make it double strength, so you only need to use half? But it’s not really half, because science doesn’t work like that...Ok, and?

Your tounge/brain doesn't process sweetness in a linear fashion. As you add more sugar, it perceives less. Generally speaking a rich simple is only a 30% sweetness increase over 1:1 simple, depsite having twice as much sugar.

Simple syrup dissolves without any real effort, so you can focus your stir / shake on getting the correct dilution without worrying about "did i dissolve all the sugar?"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MistressMeeps posted:

I'm really interested in recommendations! Still making whiskey sours in a protein shaker bottle...it's a bit sad.

So there's three main types of shaker:

* The cobbler shaker is the classic shaker that you see everywhere and gets handed out for free at promotional events with company logos (my first shaker was a ProMetric). It's a metal shaker with a cap that covers a strainer so you don't need to take the tin apart to pour or use a separate strainer. It's the easiest to use for a beginner but can be harder to get apart due to the way the halves fit together so well when frozen, and the cap can even get stuck. The strainer holes are also usually pretty large, so you can easily end up with bits of ice or fruit in your drink that you don't want unless you double strain with a tea strainer.

* The Parisian shaker is the same thing without the strainer cap, so you need to use a separate strainer. It's a little easier to open and easier to use than a Boston (especially if you have smaller hands) but shares the same issue as the cobbler with being difficult to open. Supposedly there are minor texture differences that justify a Parisian over a Boston for certain drinks but I've never noticed them.

* The Boston shaker consists of either two tins or a tin and a mixing glass (a pint glass works fine) which you put together to shake. It looks precarious but the cold ice and vacuum effect will seal the tins together as long as you give them a solid tap on top. This is the preferred professional shaker because it can simply be smacked open with practice and professional bartenders like to use different strainers in different ways to achieve certain drink compositions rather than using a cobbler's built-in holes. Downsides are weight, size (if you have small hands), it takes a little more practice to use effectively, and if you use a glass you can risk breaking it if you're careless or working too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

MistressMeeps posted:

It is preference for many people, but you have two basic options: A Boston shaker, or a cobbler shaker.

Cobbler is the simpler one, and the one I prefer. Don't buy a cheap one at the grocery store, it will be dogshit. Here is what I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0749H4S9D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Boston shakers are metal tin and pint glass, or two shaker tins of different sizes, you've seen them before. Here is one:
https://www.amazon.com/Boston-Shaker-Cocktail-Making-Set/dp/B06Y2NN5N3/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=boston+shaker&qid=1574886105&s=home-garden&sr=1-6

There is also a Parisian shaker, but gently caress that thing.