Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

That squat is something else. I bet you could get a way better burnout with some heavier springs back there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Having done this exact thing in FWD cars repeatedly all I can think is "thump thump thump" because flat spots on the rear tires.

If this makes me a boring old man, them I'm ok with that.

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 11, 2019

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That squat is something else. I bet you could get a way better burnout with some heavier springs back there.

I installed some variable rate springs last year. Only spring I know of that's heavier is for a van.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Left Ventricle posted:

Hi guys.

I had to swap the intake manifold AGAIN because I blew out one of the EGR bolt holes AGAIN. It was sucking air in and the engine refused to start at first, then idled at 2500, then idled between 600 and 1000 like total dog poo poo.

Helicoil those things, my man!

quote:

Once that was sorted...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORwB_qir0AM

As I said in the video, the downpipe was not bolted to the rear manifold. I've done that a couple times now, and it sucks majorly on your back with a swivel, threading the needle between the steering rack and the firewall.

Congrats on gettin' going again!
I like the Reatta wheels. The Grand Am? wheels in the burnout vid look pretty decent, too.

Left Ventricle posted:

I installed some variable rate springs last year. Only spring I know of that's heavier is for a van.

Throw some airbags back there for when you're hauling, or the occasional burnout.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Those of you who have been following this build may recall a dilemma I've been facing for some time: air conditioning. I am currently attempting to survive another Las Vegas summer without it. Here's why.

The original AC compressor is incompatible with the LX9. The mounting points are all wrong. I found a compressor that mounts correctly, specified for a 94-98 V6 N-body, and has the ports for the refrigerant hoses in the correct location to bolt the stock hoses on. However, the oil filter interferes with the hoses. I went to the yard (when I found those headers) and got a filter adapter off of a Skylark, in the interest of moving the filter out of the way of the hoses. That ended up putting the filter even more in the way.

Then I found this: https://www.amazon.com/Transdapt-1350-SNDWCH-ADPTR18MM-RING/dp/B000N8GTJ0

It's a remote filter adapter. Just put it wherever I want! I imagine I will need two of them, some fittings and oil cooler hose in the right size, to make it work. Anyone wanna brainstorm with me about where to locate it?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think you use two of the same part, but I could be wrong. I think most of them use one part mounted to the engine, and a generic / universal remote filter mount with a bracket attached so that it can be bolted to something.

Since you can put it wherever, no reason you have to stick with the same size filter either.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, you buy a separate oil filter mount, which will have a bracket or bosses for mounting to a convenient firewall or other surface. Those usually use some sort of standard filter. Check with Jegs or Summit - they usually have the whole kit for reasonable prices.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Left Ventricle posted:

Anyone wanna brainstorm with me about where to locate it?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Posting to keep the thread out of archive.

The turn signals in the wagon stopped functioning. It's the switch. I will be paying someone to fix that, since I don't feel like potentially taking a first generation airbag to the face. :v:

I also changed the oil. It appears to have used a little over a quart since the last change. I guess that's not terrible for an engine with ~150k miles and being beat on daily. :shrug:

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I was taught that so long as the battery is disconnected for several minutes, you should be alright wrt the airbag. They're really only designed to have enough juice if, in a hypothetical situation, the front end gets sheared off or the battery compartment is compromised.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I've taken apart a GM steering column after turning on the headlights, followed by disconnecting the battery, touching the cables together, and just waiting a few minutes. I lived. :shrug:

(I also once did it live.. just pulled the plugs out of the column, then realized "ohshitthatwasayellowconnectorwasn'tit holy gently caress the airbag didn't go off, I bet I'll get an airbag light later tho..." *10 minutes later meme* "well poo poo, no airbag light either, I got lucky")

So long as you pull the battery and don't have any kind of static build up, it's fine. It'll be fi*pop*

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Most if not all connectors containing airbag squib wiring have a shorting bar on a spring that automatically shunts the terminals together when the mating harness is unplugged. You guys are overthinking this.

I've heard that some VAG ACMs will fire a squib as soon as it's plugged in if there's power to the ACM at the time, however. I cannot swear this is true.

Also, some semi standardized color codes:
Yellow connectors and harness looms are almost always airbag related.
Orange are high voltage for electric and hybrid vehicles.
Green connectors are usually but not always some sort of diagnostic connector.

Edit:

kastein fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 24, 2019

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
https://autoparts.beforward.jp/detail/Lightings/Tail-Lights/PA21372631/

https://autoparts.beforward.jp/detail/Lightings/Tail-Lights/PA21368622/

Anyone wanna loan me a few hundred bucks? I would love to install these on my wagon. The wiring would have to be redone to accommodate a separate signal, but it would be cool as poo poo to have actual JDM parts on my car.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Huh. Add that to the list of things I didn't know existed.
Might be able to find cheaper variants in Eurp?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Darchangel posted:

Huh. Add that to the list of things I didn't know existed.
Might be able to find cheaper variants in Eurp?
I don't know of many American exports to Europe during that timeframe. I know the U-platform vans saw some notoriety, and could be had with a manual transmission, but the A-bodies were not widely distributed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

I don't know of many American exports to Europe during that timeframe. I know the U-platform vans saw some notoriety, and could be had with a manual transmission, but the A-bodies were not widely distributed.

Fascinating that they ended up in Japan, then.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I mean, we exported the Cavalier to Japan..

As a Toyota Cavalier.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

STR posted:

I mean, we exported the Cavalier to Japan..

As a Toyota Cavalier.

The best part about this is that you can walk into your local Chevy dealer, give them a GM part number, and walk out with a Toyota badge.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The best part about this is that you can walk into your local Chevy dealer, give them a GM part number, and walk out with a Toyota badge.

Yes, but not with a water pump gasket for a 97 Tacoma.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Those tailights look like they're just Celebrity wagon tails with one segment re-tinted orange. How hard would it be to just re-tint some Celebrity tails and save yourself a pile of money?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Q_res posted:

Those tailights look like they're just Celebrity wagon tails with one segment re-tinted orange. How hard would it be to just re-tint some Celebrity tails and save yourself a pile of money?

You're largely correct, since Japanese regulations require a separate amber signal. The important bit would be rewiring the harness so that the turn signal is separate. The 6000 sedan had a separate amber signal, but no other variant of the A-body had a separate signal.

Alternatively, JDM TITE YO

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Left Ventricle posted:

I know the U-platform vans[...]could be had with a manual transmission

Tell me more.

E: the 5-speed was an option with the Quad 4. Meh.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 28, 2019

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Hi. George broke down today, in the most George way possible: the smallest part ground the entire operation to a complete halt. It had to be dragged back home by my other car.

Here we see George in his natural habitat: occupying the parking spot of shame in the street.

Here we see the problem.

To the untrained eye, there might not be anything amiss. The missing part: the 7x trigger wheel that used to be bolted to the crank pulley, which is necessary for the engine to run. It fell off today.

It's probably going to be a little while before I can get another one. So tomorrow I'm going to have to put on my big boy underoos and do some work on the yellow sedan to make it worthy of my daily commute.

This poo poo always seems to happen right after I fill the tank with gas too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Gonna guess that Loctite and/or safety wire will be involved in the next one.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Darchangel posted:

Gonna guess that Loctite and/or safety wire will be involved in the next one.
The bolt is still tight. The ring broke off the hub. It was held on by a couple of tack welds. The replacement I have lined up will be fully welded all the way around the hub. Milzy is on backorder, so I ended up getting it from a dude in Canada that runs the Mod Everything Youtube channel. It should be in the mail on Monday.

Now I would like everyone to give a big warm welcome to the newest member of my shitbox fleet:

Those of you with a keen eye will note that this is NOT an A-body. It is, in face, a J-body! 2004 Cavalier. My uncle gave it to me. It has problems, chief among them an overheating issue that occurs within a few minutes of starting up. He had the head gasket redone about a year ago, so I hope it's not that. There's oil in the coolant, so it probably is that :v:

Here is a pile of suspension parts I'm going to throw at both the sedan and the wagon.

The wooden crate at the back is a JEGS 80617 spring compressor. I will now be able to assemble my own struts! The red box is an oil filter relocator. The oil filter is in the way of the refrigerant hoses in the wagon, so once I slap that on, I should be able to have AC in the wagon again. Summer is on its way in Vegas, so that will be nice.

Gotta make room for the Cavalier though. It's a bit of a mess in the garage...

Cleaning in progress.

This is where most of the junk is going:

I will be pushing the Cavalier in, then getting started on the interior. My uncle owned it for something like seven years and I don't think he once cleaned it. Probably gonna end up throwing the whole interior away and getting (hopefully) decent stuff from the junkyard. Some Z24 seats would be cool.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I don't think the Ecotecs (03+) had nearly as many head gasket issues as the iron-block-aluminum-head 2200 SFIs that predated them, so hopefully it's an easy fix.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
God. gently caress the 2200s. I ruined several days doing a head gasket errrrrr head gasket, plugs, fuel pressure regulator, and some cooling system lines GODDAMNIT head gasket, spark plugs, fuel pressure regulator, some cooling system lines, the head itself gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress head gasket, spark plugs, fuel pressure regulator, some cooling system lines, the head itself, and repair the threads in one spark plug hole in the head on a friend of a friend's. Then it got totalled weeks afterwards.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I don't think the Ecotecs (03+) had nearly as many head gasket issues as the iron-block-aluminum-head 2200 SFIs that predated them, so hopefully it's an easy fix.

They weren't prone to head gasket issues, unless you let them get REALLY loving hot (they normally run at ~220-230ish to begin with, temp gauge sits dead center until it gets over 240, at least going by my Ions with the same engine). Betting it got hot, and the block and head didn't get skimmed before the HG got replaced...

What they ARE really prone to is timing chain tensioner issues. Luckily, it just screws into the timing cover with a 32mm socket (have to give it a few real solid whacks to get it to release once it's installed), and the latest revision is pretty solid. But hey, may as well throw a new chain at it while it's apart anyway.

The L61 is a pretty solid engine aside from that, and generally easy to work on for the most part (timing parts and water pump excluded). Should make the J body scoot pretty decent too, it makes decent torque at lower RPMs for a 4 banger.

LV, a leaking water pump will let coolant into the oil (but not oil into the coolant) (the drat thing is driven by the timing chain and hidden behind the timing cover :argh:), but they rarely fail. Since you say it overheats quickly.... yeah, probably HG.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well at least it's an Ecotec and is actually worth fixing.

Can also tell your uncle never washed or waxed it lol, same thing happens in Florida, you can say goodbye to the clear coat if you neglect the paint for too long.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I fully 100% support your other cars, but have a hard time being encouraging about J-bodies. I love me some shitboxes but a j-body (other than a cimmaron) is a bridge too far.

Speaking of, a cimmaron z24 quad4 swap sounds appealing...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I kinda like J bodies. Especially quick ones. :ohdear:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well at least it's an Ecotec and is actually worth fixing.

Can also tell your uncle never washed or waxed it lol, same thing happens in Florida, you can say goodbye to the clear coat if you neglect the paint for too long.

I don't care how well it was cared for, the clear coat on that era GM falls off after just a few years on the dark colors. Doesn't matter if it's a J Body or a loaded Cadillac, it falls off.

Honda/Acura had the same issue around that time, so did Nissan, and many other car makes. Some law changed the way paint was formulated around the mid to late 90s, the result was garbage paint for ages.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I believe that would be the changeover to low- VOC solvents.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Ha! I had a 2004 Cavalier, black and with the Sport Package, which consisted of 16” alloys with 215/50 Goodyear RSAs and a spoiler. I drove it until 2008, put 70k on it with absolutely zero issues. Not bad for a vehicle purchased new for $9,999.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

J body!

Anyone have pics from that dude's thread where he hacked one up to create El Cavilero?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

dubzee posted:

J body!

Anyone have pics from that dude's thread where he hacked one up to create El Cavilero?

I probably do somewhere at home, but I bet the internet would provide.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Seven years into this car, and I arrive largely back where I started. An engine, two transmissions, three sets of suspension and front brakes, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Today's travails encompass a misfire so bad, the PCM doesn't even notice it. It's been getting worse over the course of the week, culminating in stalling at idle, hard bucking under acceleration, and random coughs when cruising. I've been through the fuel system a couple times, so I'm sure it's not that. If, say, the fuel filter were clogged, it would just make poo poo for power, not poo poo itself at random.

I picked up a multimeter to test the ignition coils. GM waste spark coils are known for being pretty durable, to the point that even L67 guys usually don't think twice about sending them on high HP builds. You can get some from MSD, but I can't justify $54 each just because they're red. The resistance range for GM coils is 5k to 8k ohms. All three were right around 6k. I then pulled the module and had it tested. It tested fine.

So I'm scratching my head in the Autozone parking lot. Coils ohm'd out fine, module tested fine, the 7x trigger wire wasn't dragging on the axle like last time, fueling was fine. Time to actually check spark, the hard way. I pulled the plug wire off the post of the 1-4 coil while it was running, and there was hardly any spark at all. Limped it home, slammed on another coil from the pile I have laying on the garage floor, and all is well. Saved me the trouble of pulling the intake to test the injectors.

George be doin' me like this though. Just coming up with ways to cause me anxiety. I'm going to have to replace the driver's side axle AGAIN because the outer boot split AGAIN. STILL don't have air conditioning, turn signals are non-op. I'm really starting to consider getting a roller skate with AC to commute with. As much as I love this car, it's really getting to me these days. Anyone wanna loan me ten grand?

At some point in the near future I will make a thread for the Cavalier. My uncle is getting me a set of keys cut at the dealer as I type this. I'll be digging into it, mainly focusing on things that don't cost any money, like cleaning the interior. That ought to be fun gross.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

As a recovering GM owner (who jumped ship to Subaru... I'm still on the fence about which is worse in the super cheap car range)..

Welcome to GM. :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat dude, just cut your losses and get the nicest Camry/Corolla you can afford and enjoy the Toyota reliability.

Hell you could probably get a decent high mileage Lexus for cheap.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

:sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Applebees Appetizer posted:

drat dude, just cut your losses and get the nicest Camry/Corolla you can afford and enjoy the Toyota reliability.

Hell you could probably get a decent high mileage Lexus for cheap.

gently caress, find a first gen IS300.