Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This is so loving good.

Thanks!

DiHK posted:

You should memorize the fake bible passage for every time he does a litany.

I'll just read my personal favorite verse, Ezekiel 23:20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

the wide eyes are perfect and hilarious

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

TheBigAristotle posted:

Thanks!

I'll just read my personal favorite verse, Ezekiel 23:20

Zeek was a Slaneeshi prophet.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Cheeky cross post because I like how they turned out.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Painted my first good guys.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Tonight's 1hr painting challenge caused a hairdryer + wash + white work shirt incident, which made me a bit angry

I also learned that Calth clear blue bled into watered down aethermatic blue and mixed with Ard Coat varnish makes for some enticing water.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Almost have my first fully completed models after almost 10 years away from the hobby. Been a slow process as I have been working on figuring out my wet blending and glazing, both of which I had barely tried back in the day. I'm happy with how most of it has turned out, though the horns feel incomplete and the reflections on the dagger feel off. I also have no clue what color to paint all the gemstones.

Spoilered cause it's an oldschool Daemonette and maybe someone doesn't want to see demon boobs. Also god nothing makes you hate your paintjob like high resolution pictures of it. Need to get my lightbox set back up cause some of the color is getting washed out, especially on the skin.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Cinara posted:

Spoilered cause it's an oldschool Daemonette and maybe someone doesn't want to see demon boobs.

Being an old White dude usually has me wonder what all the huff is about, but that mini helped me understand.

I paint with with a 10x set of jewelers loupes and can see a hundred errors on them, fortunately once set down for a few days they look fine. But I know there are mistakes...

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

The Dregs posted:

the wide eyes are perfect and hilarious

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Still on the Sister project, trying to do marble for her base. Came out better than expected! Don't mind the roses etc, its still WIP.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Looks great!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Yesterday's painting (the rusty golem dude above) was me trying to figure out water. Today's was putting it into practice.

I received this handsome gent as a secret santa gift on Discord, so today I painted him

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

richyp posted:

I received this handsome gent as a secret santa gift on Discord, so today I painted him

drat, that turned out awesome.

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Still on the Sister project, trying to do marble for her base. Came out better than expected!

That looks great. Marble is fun to do, it has so much natural variation in texture and color.

Painted up this signpost for basing my black coach. Cut down a skeleton coffin lid shield for the board, crow is from the old metal skeleton banner, and post is from the zombie kit banner.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Miniac did a video on getting started with an airbrush: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a9xuDa7gfs

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Can you use an airbrush with oil-based paints? My folks want to have the front door painted and an airbrush might be the best way to get an even coat, if it's compatible with the necessary paints.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I would not try to put house paint through your miniatures airbrush, that is asking for nightmare level clogs if it will even flow at all. Just use a paint roller and decent paint on a well sanded/primed door and you'll get a smooth coat just fine.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Filthy Hans posted:

Can you use an airbrush with oil-based paints? My folks want to have the front door painted and an airbrush might be the best way to get an even coat, if it's compatible with the necessary paints.

...echoing above. Technically there are airbrushes that can do that but they are totally different than miniature ones and have pistol grips and triggers and profoundly different nozzle sizes. You might be able to find something at a hardware store that you can use with your compressor for that application, though nfi what the PSI needed for home appliance painting is and if you have a compressor that can handle it.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Cheeky cross post because I like how they turned out.

And done. Final dudes from 40k thread: (btw is there a point to cross posting? Seems like everyone who reads the one thread probably reads the other...)

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Liiiike this! ( posting this I realize I scuffed the paint on the exhaust on one of the guys I need to touch up well fussing around getting them on the base, dammit)

Base:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

...echoing above. Technically there are airbrushes that can do that but they are totally different than miniature ones and have pistol grips and triggers and profoundly different nozzle sizes. You might be able to find something at a hardware store that you can use with your compressor for that application, though nfi what the PSI needed for home appliance painting is and if you have a compressor that can handle it.

Cinara posted:

I would not try to put house paint through your miniatures airbrush, that is asking for nightmare level clogs if it will even flow at all. Just use a paint roller and decent paint on a well sanded/primed door and you'll get a smooth coat just fine.

thanks

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Max Wilco posted:

Miniac did a video on getting started with an airbrush: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a9xuDa7gfs

I have been out of the loop for so long, this guy is great! Thanks for posting this. He seems like a pretty rad dude and deserving of support. Plus, those t-shirts he's selling look awesome. :black101: :rock:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I've been experimenting with AK True Metal on my scale models, and got around to trying it on a mini.

The short version is that this stuff is neat, but enough of a pain to work with that I can't recommend it in any general use case.

Instead of dumping a ton of mica and aluminum flakes into alcohol or lacquer, the way the AK paint works is by having a wax base. You either scrub it on or brush it - you can use an air brush, but it's real easy to break the pigment. Once it's on, you buff it with a cotton swab or tissue or whatever else you've got that's soft and mildly absorbent.

Once it's polished, the paint really does give a great metallic shine. It's not quite to the level of foil appliques or Molotow chroming, but it's pretty close. It's shiny enough that a gloss acrylic varnish will actually dull it back down. That's where the problems start - you can't put anything over the paint. Varnish dulls it, and leaving the paint uncovered but treating it with a wash seems to eat away at the coating with both oils and acrylics; you can see the mottling on the photo from the back around the arms. You definitely can't handle anything it's on for a significant period of time, or else the wax melts again and starts to rub off on whatever it's touching.

If you're after a pitted chrome look, then this stuff is exactly what you're looking for. Anything beyond that, and I'd give it a pass.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Harvey Mantaco posted:

And done. Final dudes from 40k thread: (btw is there a point to cross posting? Seems like everyone who reads the one thread probably reads the other...)

For the record, I read this one, but not the other because I dont play 40K.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

For something like a door you want a HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) spray gun.

That marble is fantastic!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I had a miniature 3d printed from a free .stl I found - fairly obscure combination of characteristics for this PC, total serendipity I stumbled across the file - and I'm commissioning a friend to paint it. But before I do, I'd like to know about customizing it a bit. I'd like to add a wrench or some other sci-fi looking tool to the hand, maybe a toolkit looking thing somewhere.

But I have pretty much zero knowledge of minis and various related subjects because it's never really been a big part of the tables I've played at, and I'm having a hell of a time searching for little accessory kits or what have you because I don't really have the terminology for what I'm looking for.

Can someone help me out with some appropriate keywords or links to find something I can use?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Some Chaos Warriors what I done

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I painted a myconid, whatever that is.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

richyp posted:

Yesterday's painting (the rusty golem dude above) was me trying to figure out water. Today's was putting it into practice.

Sweet Jesus.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

richyp posted:

It's really good

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Bought a photon printer from fellow forum superstar Olloth a few weeks ago. These things are pretty amazing. Currently working on a test build of Saturnine Pattern Terminators based on old Rogue Trader artwork.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Ghazk posted:

Bought a photon printer from fellow forum superstar Olloth a few weeks ago. These things are pretty amazing. Currently working on a test build of Saturnine Pattern Terminators based on old Rogue Trader artwork.

:aaaaa:

Shut the gently caress up those are amazing. Both the print and the model itself. Nice work!

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Thanks. Can't take credit for the design itself though. It's available here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3665458

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Just wrapped up some Genestealer Cult I'm painting for a friend. Haven't had the chance to paint anything for about two months due to moving, but I've finally got my hobby room put together enough to paint some Acolytes in.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Bit late on my part, but thanks to everyone who made recommendations/suggestions for Contrast paints. I took the plunge and ordered 3 of them (Guilliman Flesh, Black Templar, and Snakebite Leather), along with some Contrast Medium. Really looking forward to trying them out when they arrive. :) I already had some dropper bottles to transfer them into as well, so no spilled paint pots for me. :v:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I painted a myconid, whatever that is.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Still on the Sister project, trying to do marble for her base. Came out better than expected! Don't mind the roses etc, its still WIP.

This is amazing. I've just started with this exact mini to test out potential schemes. What's your marble technique?

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I had a miniature 3d printed from a free .stl I found - fairly obscure combination of characteristics for this PC, total serendipity I stumbled across the file - and I'm commissioning a friend to paint it. But before I do, I'd like to know about customizing it a bit. I'd like to add a wrench or some other sci-fi looking tool to the hand, maybe a toolkit looking thing somewhere.

But I have pretty much zero knowledge of minis and various related subjects because it's never really been a big part of the tables I've played at, and I'm having a hell of a time searching for little accessory kits or what have you because I don't really have the terminology for what I'm looking for.

Can someone help me out with some appropriate keywords or links to find something I can use?

I don't exactly understand the question but I think you want either 28mm fantasy weapons, or go to eBay and search for similar "28mm whatever the thing is", or whatever appropriate scale your figure is. 1/35 scale for accessories might work and give you more options with ww2 tank/aircraft/farm equipment or mechanics crew sets. Or fashion your parts out of paper clips and sheet styrene (plastic).

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

:yeah:

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Harkano posted:

This is amazing. I've just started with this exact mini to test out potential schemes. What's your marble technique?

Wish I could give you an exact recipe. I can tell you only what I did:
It's been primed gray, base-coated Zandri dust, washed with Agrax Earthshade. And at this point I started drybrushing and stippling different colours on.
In no particular order: Rakarth Flesh, Pallid Wych Flesh, Screaming Skull, Ulthuan Grey, VMC Light Flesh, VMC Pale Sand (a bunch of these only because I had them on my palette already for painting the face of the mini). I tried to do the stippling and drybrushing at random places, not trying to cover the whole with one colour, but trying to keep the direction of the brush strokes similar. Halfway through I painted some veins (?) with thinned down Russ Grey and Thunderhawk Blue, more or less trying to keep them going in a similar direction. These were sort of blended in with the a few passes of the previous light colours (still stippling and drybrushing). In the end the whole thing was given a white edge highlight.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Ghazk posted:

Oh my god I am so about this. 3d printers are outside my experience but I’ve always been waiting for them to “get there,” in terms of our world. In the photos these look fantastic and I loving loooove rolling back to old RT designs. Do they hold up detail wise? Have printers hit the “point” yet?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
You can get a good quality resin printer (Anycubic Photon or Elegoo Mars) for ~$200 so the price is there. The quality won't be quite as sharp as modern GW plastic but if you get your settings dialed in it's up there with cast resin. Getting the actual 3D models to print is a different thing, of course. Luckily there's a fair number of people doing stuff for 40k if that's your jam although it can take some searching to find specific models because artists will use esoteric (if hilarious) names to avoid takedown demands.

Expect to spend probably another $50 for gloves, isopropyl alcohol, and you will most likely need to do some modification to the machine to vent it or exhaust through a filter (I did the latter with my Photon by printing a duct to connect to an organic gasses respirator filter). Resin fumes are noxious as hell and not good to breathe. There are some non-toxic resins coming out now... if you trust Chinese definitions of non-toxic.

darnon fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Oh my god I am so about this. 3d printers are outside my experience but I’ve always been waiting for them to “get there,” in terms of our world. In the photos these look fantastic and I loving loooove rolling back to old RT designs. Do they hold up detail wise? Have printers hit the “point” yet?

SLA 3d prints will absolutely hold up. If you really, really look closely you might be able to spot layer lines, but at times even that is hard.

The limiting factor is usually the model file itself. There aren't many GW-quality models out there to download.

It's a huge hassle though. If I valued my time the models I get out of my printer are probably not much cheaper than GW, but downloading a model online and just making it in my garage is extremely satisfying.

Content: A WIP 3d printed ork warboss.